Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tyrann Mathieu Best Player On The Field For Cardinals In Offseason

krunk

No surprise, there was never a question about Mathieu's ability.  It's his ability to avoid trouble that's the problem.  If he hadn't been kicked out of LSU this year he would have probably been a top five draft pick.

He was never considered a top 5 pick....by most anyway.

I did a double take there buddy. I was thinking of WI Badgers as opposed to a Honey Badger. Tyrann Mathieu never went to UW-Madison. My fault not yours krunk.  haha  LOL! 

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-footbl/

he will have multiple suspentions over the course of his career. He is a head case.. No thanks

I get what your saying Jvan, but he's not exactly a basket case of unpredictability like Aaron Hernandez was either. Millions of dollars vs getting high as a kite. I'd opt for the money myself. He'll be okay. He knows that there is no room for error either.

Plus, the proper mentor is there to mold him to. [Yes, SW1 knows I ended that sentence with a preposition & the teachers in my family would chastise me for that too. Ha! Ha! Okay, not all that funny unless you come from a scholarly background I guess. Just don't ask me to diagram a sentence please. Thank you. I still have nightmares over trying to do that.] 

I get what your saying Jvan, but he's not exactly a basket case of unpredictability like Aaron Hernandez was either. Millions of dollars vs getting high as a kite. I'd opt for the money myself. He'll be okay. He knows that there is no room for error either.

Plus, the proper mentor is there to mold him to. [Yes, SW1 knows I ended that sentence with a preposition & the teachers in my family would chastise me for that too. Ha! Ha! Okay, not all that funny unless you come from a scholarly background I guess. Just don't ask me to diagram a sentence please. Thank you. I still have nightmares over trying to do that.] 

Actually, I should have used the word "too" there as opposed to "to", which makes it an adverb vs a preposition meaning also or to what degree or extent. Enough Grammar I know. Sorry, SW1 will drop the matter now. Thanks for playing along everyone.  :thmup:

I 100% believe this story is false. This was written for web hits. Patrick Petterson is by far a better player and Tyrann will only see perhaps 5-10 plays a game....big title....little story.

The staring FS may see more than 5-10 snaps a game lol

No surprise, there was never a question about Mathieu's ability.  It's his ability to avoid trouble that's the problem.  If he hadn't been kicked out of LSU this year he would have probably been a top five draft pick.

Ummm...

Respectfully.....   No.    And it's not even close.

There were all sorts of questions about Mathieu....   and that's aside from the Marijuana and any other off field issues...

Size and speed...   Not big enough or fast enough for corner.   Not great technique either.   That's why he's mostly playing safety for Arizona.

It's not even clear that with his size he can hold up at Safety for a whole season.   He's 5'8 3/4 and 186.   He makes Bob Sanders look huge.  

Arizona was the perfect spot for him.   He's got friends and former LSU teammates there.   He's got the right support system there.    This was a good fit.

There was no way for Indy to take him.    He wasn't worth a #1.    We didn't have a #2.    And we needed OL with our #3.

But, either way,  he was never a top-5 player....    He was likely no better than a 2nd round pick.   He was lucky he only fell to the 3rd round.

Bad title for the thread as no one has said that he's the best player in camp. What one scout said was that he was the best player "pound for pound " on the team. Seeing that he weighs about 180 , that is a far cry from calling him the best player at camp.

I 100% believe this story is false. This was written for web hits. Patrick Petterson is by far a better player and Tyrann will only see perhaps 5-10 plays a game....big title....little story.

Even if the story is true , they are not saying he's the best player on the team. It's like saying that Sugar Ray Leornard was a better fighter than George Foreman , but no one would ever say that Leornard could beat Foreman in a fight.

Bad title for the thread as no one has said that he's the best player in camp. What one scout said was that he was the best player "pound for pound " on the team. Seeing that he weighs about 180 , that is a far cry from calling him the best player at camp.

Do you really think the scout was judging him against other players his size? You're grasping at straws

Do you really think the scout was judging him against other players his size? You're grasping at straws

Krunk if you really don't know what it means when someone is called pound for pound the best  or better than someone else, would you kindly not aggravate me ? Go google it or something and if you want to reply then when you have an idea what the scout meant , then we can discuss it further. Otherwise I really don't have time for you.

I apologize I misread the title of the thread. On my screen it says "Tyrann Mathieu Best Player On The Field For Cardinals in Offseason".....nothing about pound for pound and doesn't qualify the statement in any way...whether they were talking about rookies, defense, or anything. I simply don't believe it. I don't think he makes the field much or impact many games for the Cardinals. It read as a sensational headline for internet clicks in my eyes. He isn't even best of the best pound for pound in his own secondary as he isn't even close to Peterson's abilities....I'm not biting and I'm not clicking to read the article because I know its trash just from the title.

I apologize I misread the title of the thread. On my screen it says "Tyrann Mathieu Best Player On The Field For Cardinals in Offseason".....nothing about pound for pound and doesn't qualify the statement in any way...whether they were talking about rookies, defense, or anything. I simply don't believe it. I don't think he makes the field much or impact many games for the Cardinals. It read as a sensational headline for internet clicks in my eyes. He isn't even best of the best pound for pound in his own secondary as he isn't even close to Peterson's abilities....I'm not biting and I'm not clicking to read the article because I know its trash just from the title.

Im confused as to why you think he won't see the field much. You realize he's the starting safety right?

Ummm...

Respectfully.....   No.    And it's not even close.

There were all sorts of questions about Mathieu....   and that's aside from the Marijuana and any other off field issues...

Size and speed...   Not big enough or fast enough for corner.   Not great technique either.   That's why he's mostly playing safety for Arizona.

It's not even clear that with his size he can hold up at Safety for a whole season.   He's 5'8 3/4 and 186.   He makes Bob Sanders look huge.  

Arizona was the perfect spot for him.   He's got friends and former LSU teammates there.   He's got the right support system there.    This was a good fit.

There was no way for Indy to take him.    He wasn't worth a #1.    We didn't have a #2.    And we needed OL with our #3.

But, either way,  he was never a top-5 player....    He was likely no better than a 2nd round pick.   He was lucky he only fell to the 3rd round.

Hence why I said if there were NO off-the field issues.  At one point in his freshman year he was be projected to go as high as the top five in the draft if he came out when he could.  Then all the off the field issues surfaced and started to fall in the draft as he should.  The fact he was drafted at all with all the red flags around him tells you that he has a tone of talent.  The main point I was getting at with Mathieu is that talent has never been the question with him.  It's all can he keep his head screwed on straight. 

I don't know where you got the idea that I ever said the Colts should have taken him.  I've been saying no thanks to the Colts drafting him ever since the red flags came up.  So I don't know where all that stuff came from but it's not from anything I said because I didn't/don't want him near the Colts because frankly while I think he's playing well right now it's only a matter of time till he can't keep his head screwed on straight. 

With that said if we are just talking talent if he's head's right it doesn't shock me in the slightest that he's having a great camp with the Cardinals. 

Hence why I said if there were NO off-the field issues.  At one point in his freshman year he was be projected to go as high as the top five in the draft if he came out when he could.  Then all the off the field issues surfaced and started to fall in the draft as he should.  The fact he was drafted at all with all the red flags around him tells you that he has a tone of talent.  The main point I was getting at with Mathieu is that talent has never been the question with him.  It's all can he keep his head screwed on straight. 

I don't know where you got the idea that I ever said the Colts should have taken him.  I've been saying no thanks to the Colts drafting him ever since the red flags came up.  So I don't know where all that stuff came from but it's not from anything I said because I didn't/don't want him near the Colts because frankly while I think he's playing well right now it's only a matter of time till he can't keep his head screwed on straight. 

With that said if we are just talking talent if he's head's right it doesn't shock me in the slightest that he's having a great camp with the Cardinals. 

GoColts....

Sorry,  we got our wires tangled several times...    my bad...   I'll attempt to clarify....

First, it wasn't you that commented you wished the Colts had drafted Mathieu, it was another poster, and I should've made it more clear that was who I was responding to....   I haven't mastered the multi-post response...   I'm clueless that way...

That said....   I think you'll strongly disagree with this next part...  the thrust of my post...

Your post says if it wasn't for his off-the-field problems he was probably a top-5 pick....

I'm saying that's completely false.

If Tyrann Mathieu had zero off the field problems.    If he was Tim Tebow off the field, a complete saint,  he was never, ever going to be top-5, and likely never even a 1st round pick.    Really.    Seriously.   Not kidding.

Mathieu had a series of football problems completely unrelated to his off the field problems.

On the field,  he was simply not a very good cover corner.   Terrible technique.    When you look at his tapes on YouTube you see almost no plays against the pass as a corner.   What you see are (1) special teams plays...  punt returns, blocking punts,  kick returns...   open field tackles...   (2)   when he's on defense, he's often blitzing and sacking,  and stripping the ball from a running back...   but you rarely see him covering a receiver.   He wasn't that good at it.

That's why with the Cardinals,  he's not playing corner.   He's playing safety.   A type of rover back, sometimes in 3 safety sets.

He was viewed as too small as a corner and as a possible safety...   he's 5'8 3/4" and 186.   That's very, very small for a DB.

He was thought to have 4.6 speed and he surprised at the combine with 4.5 speed.    Fast, but not unbelievable...

He's a great football player...  but perhaps not a great corner.   There's a place for him, but perhaps more situational than as a starter.    If he starts, it's at safety, and not corner.   When used properly,  there's a place for him.    He can make plays.   Just not as a starting corner,  at least,  not for right now.

But with his numbers and college work,  he just wasn't viewed as a first round kid.    2nd round, yes.   His off the field issues knocked him down one round to the 3rd.     Just the way Janoris Jenkins fell from the first round to the 2nd with his off the field issues.    But Jenkins was bigger,  faster,  a much, much, much better cover corner.    First round talent,  Free Agent head.   So, he fell to the 2nd round.    Many teams would've taken him much lower.   Some teams had him off their board.

Sorry for any confusion....    hope that clarifies....