Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts trying out WR DJ Stephens

Leaf

DHB sux

And this lil fella doesn't?  Laughing my bootie off.  

Gotta love Grigs....Arkansas Monticello and the big jump to the SA Talons!!  :)  Love me some Grigs.

DHB will make some big plays...drop some balls.....be a hero...be a goat.....

Garcon and Avery come to mind.....just do not include Hank Baskett. :spit:

DHB sux

Yeah, I am beginning to think so...and calling Andrew 'goofy' does not help him any.

I see the double act is alive and well :P 

We're getting so far from DHB what we expected, so I'm not panicking just yet, though it is concerning how Grigson how handcuffed us into a long term contract....oh wait he hasn't. Basically all upside if it works out (aside from FA which could be interesting), and if it don't no harm no foul. 

Explain. What has he done that isn't that impressive so far?

I hope than can change by the start of the season..

It's still early obviously and he is learning a new system but he just didn't seem to be giving max effort when I was watching. Others may not agree, but I just didn't think he was working too hard during receiver drills. I got a lazy vibe from him. TY has dropped some passes, but you can tell he's giving it his all. Whalen as well. I also did not see him get open too often. All I hear about is his incredible speed but I just haven't seen it yet. Look, I'm not saying he sucks or anything. I just need to see more out of him and I really hope that happens over the next month and into the season. 

Not to get too far off topic, but I wonder what the deal was with Jones?  The Pats signed him to a pretty fair contract, then released him before camp.

I guess he didn't impress the Colts either.  The only reason I'm curious is that I'm a YSU alum and we don't get too many players into the pros, besides Jaws.

It's still early obviously and he is learning a new system but he just didn't seem to be giving max effort when I was watching. Others may not agree, but I just didn't think he was working too hard during receiver drills. I got a lazy vibe from him. TY has dropped some passes, but you can tell he's giving it his all. Whalen as well. I also did not see him get open too often. All I hear about is his incredible speed but I just haven't seen it yet. Look, I'm not saying he sucks or anything. I just need to see more out of him and I really hope that happens over the next month and into the season. 

Yea we can only hope haha. I have a feeling though as the games actually matter he'll bring his A game. I mean he has to for himself, he's fighting for a decent contract next season. I just wish he had the same mindset as that of a TY Hilton. 

Not to get too far off topic, but I wonder what the deal was with Jones?  The Pats signed him to a pretty fair contract, then released him before camp.

I guess he didn't impress the Colts either.  The only reason I'm curious is that I'm a YSU alum and we don't get too many players into the pros, besides Jaws.

I believe he has an injury that makes him a risky signing.

DHB will make some big plays...drop some balls.....be a hero...be a goat.....

Garcon and Avery come to mind.....just do not include Hank Baskett. :spit:

Yep, DHB is a Garcon and Avery type but with better speed. 

I suppose we are spoiled by Reggie's great hands and infrequent drops.

Not to be disagreable because I wasn't at the practice you were but some athletes with that kind of size and speed can look like they aren't going full speed or coasting but really they just play with an effortless type of grace. Taller, athletic wrs have longer strides that make them sort of have the look like they aren't moving that fast while shorter ones may take shorter choppier strides that look like they are running harder or faster. Again not saying this was the case but we really haven't had this type of athlete on our team and so watching him through drills etc could be deceiving. All reports from Oakland was he was the hardest worker on the team but of course he just didn't grow in his position whether it be qb issues or coaching or just lack of learning...but everyone reported as a great guy in the locker room and hard worker. I would imagine he is working plenty hard but perhaps learning a new offense and the coaching he is getting could have him at a disadvantage over someone that is more familiar with Luck like Hilton or with Luck and Pep like Whalen.

I can not wait until Whalen is cut. He is just a guy. Hard worker, preseason hero, I get it. But man, do I get tired of hearing about him.

Then who should our five receivers be coming out of camp? Is there someone that deserves to be in the rotation more than Griff "just a guy" Whalen?

This tells me a wr is on the way out soon(in my opinion).....Brazil would be my first and obvious guess considering his coming suspension and he was injured, Regardless I dont think Stephens makes the cut even if we pick him up....Greg Ellingson would have had a better shot in my opinion, size, speed, flashes good hands and the ability to separate. from the CFL

This tells me a wr is on the way out soon(in my opinion).....Brazil would be my first and obvious guess considering his coming suspension and he was injured, Regardless I dont think Stephens makes the cut even if we pick him up....Greg Ellingson would have had a better shot in my opinion, size, speed, flashes good hands and the ability to separate. from the CFL

nice thought but GE is in season so he wouldn't be an option.

Not to be disagreable because I wasn't at the practice you were but some athletes with that kind of size and speed can look like they aren't going full speed or coasting but really they just play with an effortless type of grace. Taller, athletic wrs have longer strides that make them sort of have the look like they aren't moving that fast while shorter ones may take shorter choppier strides that look like they are running harder or faster. Again not saying this was the case but we really haven't had this type of athlete on our team and so watching him through drills etc could be deceiving. All reports from Oakland was he was the hardest worker on the team but of course he just didn't grow in his position whether it be qb issues or coaching or just lack of learning...but everyone reported as a great guy in the locker room and hard worker. I would imagine he is working plenty hard but perhaps learning a new offense and the coaching he is getting could have him at a disadvantage over someone that is more familiar with Luck like Hilton or with Luck and Pep like Whalen.

I'd add that DHB may also be playing at something less than full speed as he focuses on mastering the playbook and route tree. I'd rather he focus his efforts on precise route running and hands for now. His speed will be there.

I can not wait until Whalen is cut. He is just a guy. Hard worker, preseason hero, I get it. But man, do I get tired of hearing about him.

I think that if anyone was more than "just a guy" the PED investigators will be in again :P 

But really, what's your beef with Griff? Sure he's not a "sexy" prospect at WR but throughout his career he's shown he can play better than more physically gifted athletes and he looked promising last preseason prior to injury. Give the "just a" guy a chance and sure if he don't work out he's gone but what have we lost? 

I think that if anyone was more than "just a guy" the PED investigators will be in again :P 

But really, what's your beef with Griff? Sure he's not a "sexy" prospect at WR but throughout his career he's shown he can play better than more physically gifted athletes and he looked promising last preseason prior to injury. Give the "just a" guy a chance and sure if he don't work out he's gone but what have we lost?

I'm guilty of "having a beef" with all the Whalen hype. I guess I should just chalk it up to people catching a tiny glimpse last year, gravitating towards believing the grass is always greener, and allowing themselves to add hype on top of hype. I don't believe there was nearly enough evidence last year to warrant the adoration Whalen received this offseason.

That said, it certainly sounds like he is making a mark at training camp, and I will enthusiastically root for whichever final 53 players make the final roster.

I'm guilty of "having a beef" with all the Whalen hype. I guess I should just chalk it up to people catching a tiny glimpse last year, gravitating towards believing the grass is always greener, and allowing themselves to add hype on top of hype. I don't believe there was nearly enough evidence last year to warrant the adoration Whalen received this offseason.

That said, it certainly sounds like he is making a mark at training camp, and I will enthusiastically root for whichever final 53 players make the final roster.

I don't understand the bolded. We had two receivers with pro experience last year, Wayne and Avery. People being impressed with Griff Whalen wasn't about him replacing anyone else. It was about filling out the roster. And when Whalen got on the field last year, and jumped out as people because of his production. 

Same thing this year. We have three guys who are locks to make the final 53 -- Wayne, DHB, Hilton. I'm putting Whalen in at WR4 as of right now because he's doing his job so well in camp, and because Lavon Brazill is suspended for the first four games. But between Brazill's injury and his performance at camp, Whalen is actually looking like a better option, despite the suspension. They aren't the same kind of receiver, but if I had to choose one or the other on their merits, I'd choose Whalen right now. And I have nothing against Brazill; I was one of the few who didn't think he should be released when his suspension was announced.

I know there's a lot of hype about Whalen right now, and sometimes the natural reaction to hype is skepticism. But what I don't understand is why the hype has to be reduced to some underlying motive regarding the player. Whalen is getting hype because he's performing well, not because anyone has a soft spot for him. He's earning it. And that's a good thing, because WR isn't a position that we're exceptionally deep at, and the emergence of a solid option there helps our team.

This tells me a wr is on the way out soon(in my opinion).....Brazil would be my first and obvious guess considering his coming suspension and he was injured, Regardless I dont think Stephens makes the cut even if we pick him up....Greg Ellingson would have had a better shot in my opinion, size, speed, flashes good hands and the ability to separate. from the CFL

I watched the CFL the other day. You know who's a monster?

Chad Owens from Toronto a WR. They call him co2.

I don't understand the bolded. We had two receivers with pro experience last year, Wayne and Avery. People being impressed with Griff Whalen wasn't about him replacing anyone else. It was about filling out the roster. And when Whalen got on the field last year, and jumped out as people because of his production.

Same thing this year. We have three guys who are locks to make the final 53 -- Wayne, DHB, Hilton. I'm putting Whalen in at WR4 as of right now because he's doing his job so well in camp, and because Lavon Brazill is suspended for the first four games. But between Brazill's injury and his performance at camp, Whalen is actually looking like a better option, despite the suspension. They aren't the same kind of receiver, but if I had to choose one or the other on their merits, I'd choose Whalen right now. And I have nothing against Brazill; I was one of the few who didn't think he should be released when his suspension was announced.

I know there's a lot of hype about Whalen right now, and sometimes the natural reaction to hype is skepticism. But what I don't understand is why the hype has to be reduced to some underlying motive regarding the player. Whalen is getting hype because he's performing well, not because anyone has a soft spot for him. He's earning it. And that's a good thing, because WR isn't a position that we're exceptionally deep at, and the emergence of a solid option there helps our team.

So my questions would be if he was tearing it up last year, why didn't he receive ANY reps with the first team in ps games? And didnt he miss significant TC time at the start?

Most of the hype, from my recollection, started based on him having a solid performance against the 3rd string Steeler D, and no Luck. From my reading on this forum, his myth exceeded his history by a country mile.

And most of my frustration about the hype stemmed from people saying we didn't need to add any receivers this past offseason because we had the amazing Griff Whalen coming off IR...

Cool for him if he survives final cuts. It'll be a good story if he is one of the final 53 on merit. I would still doubt he sees much PT in season.

So my questions would be if he was tearing it up last year, why didn't he receive ANY reps with the first team in ps games? And didnt he miss significant TC time at the start?

Most of the hype, from my recollection, started based on him having a solid performance against the 3rd string Steeler D, and no Luck. From my reading on this forum, his myth exceeded his history by a country mile.

Cool for him if he survives final cuts. It'll be a good story if he is one of the final 53 on merit. I would still doubt he sees much PT in season.

I didn't say he was tearing it up. I said he jumped out because of his production. You can dismiss that production because it didn't come in the context you prefer, but that's why you play your scrubs in preseason games, to see who can perform. Whalen performed.

Regarding merit, I don't think there's any other way for him to make the final roster. Grigson and Pagano don't care that the official message board is overwhelmingly taken with Griff Whalen. They are going to make their decisions based entirely on merit. And that's kind of what I'm saying. I think people are excited about Whalen because he is earning recognition as a legitimate option at receiver. Some might take that excitement too far -- it's inevitable during the first week of training camp. But for the most part, Whalen deserves the recognition he's getting on merit alone, not because of a "grass is always greener" mentality. 

He isn't the future of our receiving corps, that's for sure. Our WR4 last season was Lavon Brazill, and he had 11 catches. We will probably throw a bit less, and include the tight ends and backs more strategically, so WR4 isn't going to be a big part of our offense. But that's not the point. The point is that right now, a week into camp, Whalen is separating himself from the other five guys competing for WR4/5. I think that's a good thing.

I didn't say he was tearing it up. I said he jumped out because of his production. You can dismiss that production because it didn't come in the context you prefer, but that's why you play your scrubs in preseason games, to see who can perform. Whalen performed.

Regarding merit, I don't think there's any other way for him to make the final roster. Grigson and Pagano don't care that the official message board is overwhelmingly taken with Griff Whalen. They are going to make their decisions based entirely on merit. And that's kind of what I'm saying. I think people are excited about Whalen because he is earning recognition as a legitimate option at receiver. Some might take that excitement too far -- it's inevitable during the first week of training camp. But for the most part, Whalen deserves the recognition he's getting on merit alone, not because of a "grass is always greener" mentality.

He isn't the future of our receiving corps, that's for sure. Our WR4 last season was Lavon Brazill, and he had 11 catches. We will probably throw a bit less, and include the tight ends and backs more strategically, so WR4 isn't going to be a big part of our offense. But that's not the point. The point is that right now, a week into camp, Whalen is separating himself from the other five guys competing for WR4/5. I think that's a good thing.

I think our views aren't that far apart and we're arguing semantics. I'm great with him making the squad.

I'm just suck of all the over-hyping I've read on this forum, and think some are assuming that because they've caught a couple glimpses of something, or read a couple 2nd hand observations, that he is, by definition, better than options they've seen more from. That is what I mean by grass is greener.

And most of my frustration about the hype stemmed from people saying we didn't need to add any receivers this past offseason because we had the amazing Griff Whalen coming off IR...

I get your point, I'm not saying we should be rushing to hail him as the next best thing but also he seems to be written off a lot before we've really seen what he has to offer.

As you say if makes the roster I'll root for him like any other horseshoe wearer and if he works out then it's a good pick up.

I feel like because he's not got prototype size or speed it's automatically assumed he can't produce. He's done pretty well for a former walk on. NCF I'm sure has a much better idea than me though on his abilities.

I think our views aren't that far apart and we're arguing semantics. I'm great with him making the squad.

I'm just suck of all the over-hyping I've read on this forum, and think some are assuming that because they've caught a couple glimpses of something, or read a couple 2nd hand observations, that he is, by definition, better than options they've seen more from. That is what I mean by grass is greener.

Maybe. I just don't think we have a lot of proven options at receiver, either this year or last year. It's basically Reggie, DHB (with his own question marks, but he's a lock), and Hilton. Brazill's suspension leaves WR4 wide open for the first month, and there's five other guys with a chance to distinguish themselves for basically two spots. Whalen is the only one really doing that, from what I see/read/hear. 

I think there's a "grass is greener" issue with any young kicker we bring in. We have one of the best kickers in the game, and people are getting excited about any other possibility there. Realistically, unless Vinatieri simply can't kick anymore, he's the guy for this season, no matter how good McManus does in camp. This pops up at center and right guard, where people feel like anything is better than Satele and McGlynn. Maybe a little at corner with Vaughn, though he's earned a lot of criticism, but he's a favorite whipping boy. Donald Brown < any other RB, in a lot of people's eyes.

I guess what I'm saying is that Whalen is trying to fill a void. He's not replacing someone else, which is why I don't get the "grass is greener" feeling. But just like any unheralded guy who starts getting hype in training camp, it can be overdone. But Giants fans were saying the same thing about Victor Cruz three years ago. He took the world by storm in a meaningless preseason game, and from there on, he was hyped. Didn't do anything that season, but when he finally got his chance, he did a great job with it. I don't expect Whalen to be that good; he's a different kind of receiver entirely. But sometimes, the hype is deserved.

Maybe. I just don't think we have a lot of proven options at receiver, either this year or last year. It's basically Reggie, DHB (with his own question marks, but he's a lock), and Hilton. Brazill's suspension leaves WR4 wide open for the first month, and there's five other guys with a chance to distinguish themselves for basically two spots. Whalen is the only one really doing that, from what I see/read/hear.

I think there's a "grass is greener" issue with any young kicker we bring in. We have one of the best kickers in the game, and people are getting excited about any other possibility there. Realistically, unless Vinatieri simply can't kick anymore, he's the guy for this season, no matter how good McManus does in camp. This pops up at center and right guard, where people feel like anything is better than Satele and McGlynn. Maybe a little at corner with Vaughn, though he's earned a lot of criticism, but he's a favorite whipping boy. Donald Brown < any other RB, in a lot of people's eyes.

I guess what I'm saying is that Whalen is trying to fill a void. He's not replacing someone else, which is why I don't get the "grass is greener" feeling. But just like any unheralded guy who starts getting hype in training camp, it can be overdone. But Giants fans were saying the same thing about Victor Cruz three years ago. He took the world by storm in a meaningless preseason game, and from there on, he was hyped. Didn't do anything that season, but when he finally got his chance, he did a great job with it. I don't expect Whalen to be that good; he's a different kind of receiver entirely. But sometimes, the hype is deserved.

All good points. The biggest difference with Cruz to me was that he played against 1st teamers and much more than just a handful of plays that year. He flat out tore up the Jets, singlehandedly. Whalen has done nothing remotely close to that. Yet.