Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let's put this to bed. Give me Andrew Luck.

dutchff7

There's been a lot of debate about Luck, Rg3 and Wilson. A lot of people talk about Luck's season being overrated and that he wasn't as good. A lot of people are claiming the RG3 and Wilson was exceptionally better than Luck. People go straight to Luck's numbers and don't see the ins and outs of his numbers. Let's take a deeper look at his numbers.

The first thing I want to address is Luck's 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives. Luck had 7 altogether. A lot of people tend to argue and say that Luck was basically cleaning up his own mess from his interceptions which led to those comebacks. Let me elaborate on that and dig deeper into the numbers. I'm going to review those 7 games.

Colts.gif vs Vikings.png 23-20: 20/31 224 yards, 2 TDs, 0 ints. 4th quarter and 0:31 seconds in the game. Luck put together a 4 play drive, 45 yards and they kicked a FG to win. No interceptions.

Colts.gif vs Packers.png 30-27: 31/55 362 yards, 2 TDs, 1 int. The Packers scored 0 points off of Luck's int. Luck was down 21-3 at the half. Luck offense put up 16 unanswered points in the 3rd quarter. In the 4th quarter with 0:35 seconds left, Luck threw a TD to Wayne to take the lead; game winning drive. Not seeing the mess yet.

Colts.gif @ Titans.gif 19-13: 26/38 297 yards, 1 TD, 1 int. Luck throws an int in the 3rd quarter. The Titansscored 0 points off Luck's int. Luck comes from behind and throws a 4th quarter TD to tie up the game and put it into overtime. In overtime, Luck got the ball and orchestrated a game winning drive throwing a TD to seal the game.

Colts.gif vs Dolphins.png 23-20: 30/48, 433 yards, 2 TDs, 0 ints. Luck put together a scoring drive (fg) to put his team on top in the 4th quarter. No interceptions.

Colts.gif @ Lions.png 35-33: 24/54 391 yards, 4 TDs, 3 ints. This was somewhat of an ugly game for Luck. Luck threw 3 ints but Detroit only capitalized one of them scoring only 3 points off of Lucks 3 ints. In the 4th quarter on 4th and 10 on the 14 yard line with 0:04 seconds left, Luck throws a TD and seals the game. Another 4th quarter comeback game winning drive. Huge dramatic mess that people rant about; 3 points.

Colts.gif vs Titans.gif 27-23: 16/34 196 yards, 1 TD, 2 int. This wasn't a great game for Luck either. His first pic went back for 6. But for anyone that watched the game (or play) saw that he was sacked and it should have been overturned. http://www.nfl.com/g...ights&tab=recap Skip to 0:21 seconds. It is what it is though. The refs missed one. Lucks other pic came at the end of the 2nd quarter; insignificant. In the 4th quarter, Luck put together another drive that led to points and won the game. So Luck gave 7 points off of an interception on a play that should have been ruled dead.

Colts.gif @ Chiefs.png 20-13: 17/35 205 yards, 1 TD, 0 int. Statistically not a great game for him. No turnovers and still managed to get the 4th quarter come back on a winning drive. 

All in all, Luck is 9-1 when the score margin is within 1-7 points.

Let's look at this in a more broad perspective. Luck had 9 interceptions in his losses this season. That leaves him with 9 interceptions in the games he won. Luck only threw interceptions in 4 out of 7 in his 4th quarter comeback and game winning drive games. So, if you've been reading up, only 10 points (and 7 came from a bad ref call) came from capitalizing off of Luck's interceptions. 

So in all actuality, for all you guys ranting about Luck having to clean up his own mess due to his interceptions in 4th quarter comeback and game winning drive games, it's just not true. 10 points off of interceptions isn't a lot of mess to clean up.

Now I would like to focus on the throws that these young QBs made. Let's take a look at the base percentage of all the throws that these QBs made and the success that they had.

Behind the Line of Scrimmage

Luck: 98 attempts; consisted of 15.6% of total throws, 402 yards, 1 TDs.

RG3: 91 attempts; consisted of 23.15 of total throws, 408 yards, 3 TDs

Wilson: 70 attempts; consisted of 17.8% of total throws, 371 yards, 2 TDs

Passes 1-10 yards

Luck: 285 attempts; consisted of 45.4% of total throws, 1709 yards, 13 TD.

RG3: 187 attempts; consisted of 47.5% of total throws, 1138 yards, 7 TDs.

Wilson: 189 attempts; consisted of 48% of total throws, 1141 yards, 13 TDs.

Passing 11-20 yards

Luck: 156 attempts; consisted of 24.8% of total throws, 1342 yards, 1 TD.

RG3: 76 attempts; consisted of 19.3% of total throws, 1102 yards, 3 TDs.

Wilson: 76 attempts; consisted of 19.3% of total throws, 784 yards, 4 TDs.

Passing 21-30 yards

Luck: 59 attempts; consisted of 9.4% of total throws, 581 yards, 4 TDs.

RG3: 21 attempts; consisted of 5.3% of total throws, 306 yards, 3 TDs.

Wilson: 32 attempts; 8.1% of total throws, 477 yards, 4 TDs.

Passing 31-40 yards

Luck: 17 attempts; 2.7% of total throws, 250 yards, 3 TDs.

RG3: 5 attempts; 1.2% of total throws, 0 yards, 0 TDs.

Wilson: 16 attempts; 4% of total throws, 198 yards, 2 TDs

Passing 41+ yards

Luck: 12 attempts; 1.9% of total throws, 90 yards, 1 TD.

RG3: 13 attempts; 3.3% of total throws, 246 yards, 4 TDs (alot play action)

Wilson: 10 attempts; 2.5% of total throws, 147 yards, 1 TD

Luck had a larger volume of more difficult throws while a higher percentage of RG3's and Wilson's own throws consisted of easier passes. Another neat little fact is that only 10% (34 passes) of Lucks high volume throws were to his RB. Rookie QBs usually rely on checking it down to their RB. Luck was throwing down the field. Still, for him to have 54% accuracy rating and still be as effective as he was should be an eye opener. QBs who have around 54% completion rate usually tank the season (Mark Sanchez, Chad Henne). That goes to show how many big plays he made and how effective he was when he completed his passes. 27% of Luck's throws were also deep throws being 15 yards or more being 3rd in the league in that category under Jay Cutler and Colin Kaepernick (Bruce Arians). Those deep passes are harder to complete and let's not forget about the time it takes for those deep routes to develop.

Another factor to consider is that the Colts had one of the worst offensive lines in the entire league. Luck got hit 105 times more than any other QB in the league. He was also sacked 40 times. Something else of note is that Luck was pressured 117 times (according to sports illustrated; pff says 203. SI is more strict) compared to RG3's 69 pressures and Wilson's 64. Luck was also blitzed substantially more attempting 189 passes while being blitz than RG3s 71 and Wilson's 116.

Something else to note is that Luck had a higher volume of throws on 3rd down and was exceedingly more successful on the money down than RG3 and Wilson.

31WmT7x.jpg

Actually, he was better than every rookie QB in history on 3rd down.

Also, majority of RG3's passes were play action passes; 39.4% and Luck's was 16.2%. Rg3 benefited from the play action so much because of Alfred Morris. Granted, RG3 opened up lanes for Morris but Morris created a lot of plays on his own breaking tackles being top 3 in yards after contact. It's more of a symbiotic relationship. Both RG3 and Russell Wilson had 1500-1600 yard rushers to support them. If you take out Luck's runs, the Colts back field attempted 378 carries for only 1416 yards; 3.7 ypc. Luck also accounted for just 1 less TD than all his backs combined.

Something else to consider is the defense. RG3s and Lucks defenses were almost equally as bad but the Colts set a record being the first 11 win team to allow 387 points. They were also tied the 2011 Steelers for a team over 11 wins for fewest takeaways; 15. Russell Wilson's defense is straight boss. #1 scoring defense; great support.

Overall when you look at the broad perspective, Luck was asked to do a lot more than RG3 and Wilson with much less. He had way more difficult throws being in a Bruce Arian's offense and was behind a horrible offensive line. He also had almost a non-existent running game compared to RG3 and Wilson who were top in the league in team rushing yards. If you look at it this way, if you take Lucks completions (339) and stack them next to RG3's and Wilson's attempts (393), Luck completes 86% of his passes. Luck almost completes more passes than RG3 and Wilson even attempted. That's pretty crazy when you think about it. That goes to really show how much more of a work load Luck had to carry on his shoulders;especially with no running game which people tend to overlook/ignore. Then with the 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives showing that his interceptions had little to no affect on those games, he was one of the most clutch QBs in the game last year. It's one thing having success, but having the mental toughness to overcome a deficit mounting a comeback is another challenge in itself; resiliency. An unquantifiable and underrated trait in my opinion; especially in a rookie QB.

Don't get me wrong, all of these young were spectacular and are on their way to having great careers. Personally, I would be ecstatic to have any one of these guys as my QB. But without a doubt Luck embraced the role of a franchise QB at a way higher difficultly level than RG3 and Wilson. RG3 and Wilson had a way lesser role in their offense than Luck did and had a way better supporting cast. He carried his team to weights that RG3 and Wilson can't touch if you dig deep within the numbers. Give me Luck. 

To put it even further into perspective. Take a look at these stats.  Now, I want everyone to read and comprehend that I am not saying Luck is better than these guys. I am simply just using this information for a basis of comparison to help put things into perspective.

With you bringing up Luck's efficiency past 10 yards, I decided to look at some of the other QBs in the league.

Tom Brady

11-20 yards: 56/113 49.6% 1071 yards 6 TDs 2 INT, QBR: 93.2

21-30: 14/44 31.8% 414 yards 3 TDs 2 INT, QBR: 71.6

31-40: 6/18 33.3% 274 3 TDs 1 INT QBR: 98.4

41+: 0/6--------------------------------------------

Blitz: 111/173 64.2% 1376 15 TDs 0 INT, 117.6

QB Pressure: 21/69 30.4% 241 yards 1 TD 1 INT, QBR: 40.8

Drew Brees

11-20: 84/135 62.2% 1530 8 TDs 4 INT, QBR: 108.8

21-30: 17/37 45.9% 534 2 TD 3 INT, QBR: 76.7

31-40: 8/25 32% 304 yards 3 TDs 3 INT, QBR: 79.4

41+: 5/9 55.6% 280 yards 1 TD 0 INT, QBR: 137.5

Blitz: 113/184 61.4% 1613 10 TD 3 INT, QBR: 101.1

QB Pressure: 34/79 43% 435 yards 2 TDs 1 INT, QBR: 64.1

Peyton Manning

11-20: 77/126 61.1% 1355 yards 6 TDs 1 INT, QBR: 110.4

21-30: 18/38 47.4% 541 5 TDs 5 INT, QBR: 93.6

31-40: 7/21 33.3% 289 yards 3 TDs 1 INT, QBR: 101.7

41+: No attempts, noodle arm troll.jpg.png

Blitz: 128/189 67.7% 11 TDs 4 INT, QBR: 100.8

QB Pressures: 18/49 36.7% 170 yards 1 TD 1 INT, QBR: 45.5

Aaron Rodgers

11-20: 59/106 55.7% 1169 yards 7 TDs 3 INTs, QBR: 104.6

21-30: 14/37 37.8% 437 yards 7 TDs 0 INTs, QBR: 122.4

31-40: 5/10 50% 227 yards 2 TDs 0 INTs, QBR: 135.4

41+: 0/6

Blitz: 86/139 61.9% 1131 yards 14 TDs 3 INT, QBR: 112.1

QB Pressures: 25/63 39.7% 355 yards 3 TDs 1 INTs, QBR: 67.9

Undisputed #1 QB in the league seriously...

Andrew Luck

11-20: 76/156 48.7% 1342 yards 1 TD 6 INTs, QBR: 64.6

20-31: 19/59 32.2% 581 yards 4 TDs 3 INTs, QBR: 71.4

31-40: 5/17 29.4% 250 yards 3 TDs 1 INT, QBR: 94.2

41+ 2/12 16.7% 90 yards 1 TD 2 INTs, QBR: 46.5

Blitz: 93/189 49.2% 1264 yards 5 TDs 3 INTs, QBR: 73.2

QB Pressures: 44/117 37.6% 673 yards 5 TDs 3 INTs, QBR: 61

Those are some interesting stats. When you look at passes 11-20 yards and 21-30 yards, Luck attempted more throws than all of these elite QBs; by a good margin for some. There's no way a rookie QB should be throwing down the field more times than these 4 guys; that's just ludicrous. Oh wait, Bruce Arian's was calling the plays. It appears as if Arian's was trying to utilize Luck as if he were an elite QB; which he isn't. Arian's had Luck attempt 627 passes (5th most in the league), was dialing up long developing deep passing plays (more attempts down field than the Elite 4; 27% of his passes 15 yards or more 3rd in the league), behind a horrible offensive line (most hit QB in the league), with an ineffective running game and made no adjustments. It's crazy when you think about it. The elite 4 weren't even asked to throw deep down the field as much as Luck. Arian's didn't do Luck any justice. So when you look at efficiency, it's obvious why. You can't simply ignore/disregard these factors when you are truly evaluating QBs as if they don't play a part. When you look beyond the stats period, you're basically looking at circumstances; things that people tend to overlook or act like they don't matter. When you evaluate or compare players, circumstances always comes into play; what are they asked to do. When you look at the entire picture: 627 pass attempts, long developing deep passing plays (was asked to more than elite 4; efficiency), worst offensive line in the league and ineffective run game, that seems like an elite work load. Is he elite? No. Did he have pretty numbers? No. But did he get the job done? Yes. He came through when it mattered.

**Drops mic**

Someone has too much time on their hands

Numbers and research may look difficult to some but this info took about a hour and a half tops. I've seen many others spend that much time doing far less. To each their own.

I think one of Luck's biggest obstacles, if he is to set himself apart, is to get into the paint more. The guy would get some of the most spectacular 3rd down conversions midfield, but would then look to struggle in the red zone. I hope to see this along with his accuracy to improve this season. And I'm sure having an improved running game is going to be key with this.

I think it also explains why Luck wasn't ROY. It takes time and work to do this kind of analysis.

It all comes down to perspective. People just look at the raw numbers and run with it. The raw numbers aren't the end all and don't tell the entire story. The stats within stats help paint a clearer picture. Even with Lucks stats looking worse than RG3's and Wilson, if you factor in the circumstances he was in and what he still was able to do, it's far more impressive in my eyes.  RG3 and Wilson had it way easier having a more complete and solid team. Luck's team was 2-14 last year and the only substantial change was at the QB position. If you look at every facet of the team outside of QB and a WR (wayne) the team as a whole was average/below average. Then having to pass 627 times; 27% of Luck's total passes were 15 yards are more which accounts for 169 deep passes. That's the most deep passes attempted in the league far surpassing even elite QBs. That's a huge factor in regards to his efficiency. The Bruce Arian's affect. Considering all those long developing deep pass plays that Arian's dialed up behind a horrible offensive line with an ineffective run game and a defense that couldn't hold a lead, without a doubt Luck had a harder road than RG3 and Wilson. Luck had an elite work load. All the numbers may not be pretty but he still won games and got the playoffs enduring all of those circumstances. People tend to disregard or completely ignore the circumstances and you can't do that when you are fairly evaluating a player. Circumstances always play a factor in evaluation. Luck's year was impressive by far when you see what was happening from a different perspective and not run to the raw numbers. It's no comparison.

I think you're preaching to the choir here for the most part. In all honesty, the only people I have seen that state Luck wasn't really as great as his numbers indicated due to needing to throw the ball so much to get them or that his winning-4th quarter drives were a product of his own mistakes are almost exclusively Redskins/RG3 fans. I think most other fans of other teams acknowledge that Luck is special. There are knocks on all three of the rookie QBs-- but that doesn't mean they are not outstanding. You can't expect rookies to be perfect.

I am obviously bias being a Colts fan, but I would take Luck over both Wilson and RG3 simply because he is a pure pocket passer. All three were excellent last year and all three are intelligent and understand the game, but I would be worried about the longevity of the other two unless they modify their games or get a different scheme in the long run. RG3 especially seems like he needs a new scheme if he is going to last in the league.

Luck's team was 2-14 last year and the only substantial change was at the QB position. If you look at every facet of the team outside of QB and a WR (wayne) the team as a whole was average/below average. 

I agree with a lot of what you've said but I disagree with the portion I left in the quote.  There were a lot more changes than just at the QB position.  An entirely new coaching staff and a new GM meant a lot of change in and of itself.  I think that our current coaching staff could have, and would have led the 2011 Colts to more than just 2 wins.  

Caldwell, Christensen and co. kept trying to use the Peyton offense with Painter at the helm and it took them until 2/3 of the way through the season to figure out it wasn't going to work.  Then there was the tampa 2 defense that made guys like Gabbert and Colt McCoy look like pro bowlers against us.  The lack of in-game and week to week adjustments and game planning was atrocious and I am wholly confident our current staff would have done a much better job with that squad.  

I agree with a lot of what you've said but I disagree with the portion I left in the quote.  There were a lot more changes than just at the QB position.  An entirely new coaching staff and a new GM meant a lot of change in and of itself.  I think that our current coaching staff could have, and would have led the 2011 Colts to more than just 2 wins.  

Caldwell, Christensen and co. kept trying to use the Peyton offense with Painter at the helm and it took them until 2/3 of the way through the season to figure out it wasn't going to work.  Then there was the tampa 2 defense that made guys like Gabbert and Colt McCoy look like pro bowlers against us.  The lack of in-game and week to week adjustments and game planning was atrocious and I am wholly confident our current staff would have done a much better job with that squad.  

There was so much going on that season, it was easy to get upset at certain things. Just remember that the hope was that Peyton would be able to come back at some point in that season, so uninstalling Peyton's offense really was a major nail in the coffin. How many guys had to be familiar with all of the in and outs of that system? 

Someone has too much time on their hands

You have to give dutchff7 some serious props though. ESPN could learn something from dutchff7. It's called impressive stats & real reporting. Eat your heart out Trey Wingo & Mark Schlereth.  haha

This praising RG3 business nonstop is getting very tiresome to me. I'm not questioning his talent just his constant love by the NFL media.

Championships are all SW1 gives a darn about & Luck will bring them home to INDY.

There is no putting this debate to bed. It will always be sparked up somehow whether we like it or not.

Me and others here are obviously biased being that it is obviously a Colts website... But after watching week in and week out Luck is still my guy. The kid has a great arm, very intelligent, and a great work ethic... I think people who are not Colts fans or analyst underrate his mobility as well. Some think he is just a pocket passer. He looks like Laron Landry dropping back to throw a deep ball. Nothing against RG3 or WIlson, but Luck was the #1 pick for a reason

Lets enjoy the ride and seeing Luck wearing THE HORSESHOE.. He is going to be great

All of this was and get this... last years garbage! Time to move on and get ready for season two of the Andrew Luck show. Hoping for more episodes the post season

It may be garbage to you but I found it a good read. There was a lot of time and effort put into this and all you can do is call it garbage? Would you like to insult anyone else?

I think one of Luck's biggest obstacles, if he is to set himself apart, is to get into the paint more. The guy would get some of the most spectacular 3rd down conversions midfield, but would then look to struggle in the red zone. I hope to see this along with his accuracy to improve this season. And I'm sure having an improved running game is going to be key with this.

I'm going to wait a couple of seasons before I put the red zone problems purely on Luck. A high yardage offense with a QB throwing for over 4,000 yards with surprisingly poor red zone efficiency. Sounds familiar. Last season I went and read old articles and threads on Steelers boards. It was amazing how many of the complaints around here started mirroring the complaints from Steelers fans.  Also, the refusal to mix in more no huddle even though Ben excelled in it, failure to fully exploit Heath Miller as a receiver, high number of qb hits, completely undisguised run plays. When the Colts brought BA in I was hoping they were just typical bitter fans who blame the OC for everything under the sun, but so many of those complaints came to pass.  Especially this from January last year:

This particularly hurt the Steelers in the red zone, where their red zone efficiency numbers were downright awful. For a team that prides itself on running the ball, the Steelers ranked in the top 12 in rushing touchdowns only twice during Arians' tenure. The Steelers were 14th or worse in Red Zone Efficiency in 4 of the 5 years when Arians called the shots. Over his five year career, Arians' offense averaged 53.4% in Red Zone efficiency.

Instead, you'll see 4 and 5-wide receiver sets that will expose the QB to getting smoked by overload blitzes. Not only will Arians spread the field, he will do it in situations where running would be an option (3rd and 3 for instance), which will pretty much draw all the defenders out of the box. Even if it's a passing play, keeping a running back in the backfield forces the defense to honor the run and keep at least one linebacker in the box to watch out for a running play. When Arians just spreads it out with 5-wide (sometimes lining up a running back in the backfield then sending him in motion to be the 5th wideout), there is absolutely no threat of running the ball, which lets the defense key on defending the pass.

Of course, these are only my thoughts and observations from the five years that Arians has been in Pittsburgh. Obviously Indianapolis has a different set of players and different group of talent. It is possible that their offense will succeed with Arians at the helm. Arians offense is one that will put up a lot of yards between the 20s, but more often than not you'll probably find yourself settling for field goals rather than punching it in the end zone for touchdowns. Chances are, your quarterbacks and receivers will love Arians and his passing offense and Arians will give the quarterback input as to the plays that are called and the gameplan that is developed.

NO PROMOTIONAL POSTING ON THE SITE2012-archives/january/the-steelers-view-of-bruce-arians.html

It may be garbage to you but I found it a good read. There was a lot of time and effort put into this and all you can do is call it garbage? Would you like to insult anyone else?

I wasn't insulting anyone. I was simply saying its time to move on from this RG3 and Wilsin stuff. We have Luck so what else matters?

I wasn't insulting anyone. I was simply saying its time to move on from this RG3 and Wilsin stuff. We have Luck so what else matters?

dutchff7 put his time and effort into this article. I am not the only one who thought it was a good read.  I liked his effort and appreciated his time in this article. Not every fan puts this much research into a forum thread. You even made it a point in saying 'All of this was get this... last years garbage'.  We did hear a lot about this subject but having someone to take the time to break it down may not be to your liking but a few other along with myself didn't think it was garbage. 

It's a football forum. The point of a football forum is to discuss football. To say that last year doesn't matter or still isn't relevant in terms of discussion is pretty asinine. Posters that talk about projections for this upcoming season are going to use last year as a basis of comparison in what ways they will improve and get better etc etc. It's the last football season that was played. Ofcourse it's going to be discussed; especially until the regular season begins. You must not watch a lot of coverage on football. They always refer back to last season. It's the offseason. This is when you have the time to really break down and analysis stuff.

It's a football forum. The point of a football forum is to discuss football. To say that last year doesn't matter or still isn't relevant in terms of discussion is pretty asinine. Posters that talk about projections for this upcoming season are going to use last year as a basis of comparison in what ways they will improve and get better etc etc. It's the last football season that was played. Ofcourse it's going to be discussed; especially until the regular season begins. You must not watch a lot of coverage on football. They always refer back to last season. It's the offseason. This is when you have the time to really break down and analysis stuff.

I was going to reply, but I guess I need to. I've heard tons of players say last season is over. And yes you can't compare stats from last season to this one because the number one reason is we're running a different offense.

I wasn't going to reply, but I guess I need to. I've heard tons of players say last season is over. And yes you can't compare stats from last season to this one because the number one reason is we're running a different offense.

I was going to reply, but I guess I need to. I've heard tons of players say last season is over. And yes you can't compare stats from last season to this one because the number one reason is we're running a different offense.

True. A learning curve should be factored in. Then the question becomes whether it will lead to good things or have a more negative effect.

I wasn't going to reply, but I guess I need to. I've heard tons of players say last season is over. And yes you can't compare stats from last season to this one because the number one reason is we're running a different offense.

Either way, people are still going to compare to last year as far as what they believe will/should improve, what they believe will be different scheme and play calling wise etc etc. There are always going to be comparisons relevant to last season. To say last year has no relative effect or place in regards to football discussion for the upcoming year is beyond naive. If that's the case, no one would have predictions because that's purely based off last year (and also offseason acquistions). There would be no power rankings and other things of the sort. Your comment makes no sense. Last year may be in the books, but it's the only substance of football material we can go off of until the next season.