Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Difference between winning in the NBA and NFL

AllYouNeedIsLuck

In the NBA, rarely does a surprise team win the championship. Usually an elite top tier team makes their way through the playoffs and into the finals for a championship. It is very predictable in the beginning of the season and usually you can pick who will win if you given at most 3 choices. The NFL is a lot different. "Any given sunday".. And during the playoffs I feel like success is more if you get hot in the right time rather than talent. For example, the Ravens last season were good but not great but caught fire at the right time. Now, I love love love football but this makes me question the success of let's say one individual Super Bowl win. Would you rather your favorite NBA team win or NFL team win? I personally would want my NBA team to win because it truly shows you are the greatest team that season. The Ravens weren't the best team last season. The Heat were this past season. After an NBA championship, it's much more likely to sustain success. In the NBA, you will most definitely have at least a 3rd seed the next season. In the NFL, you could win the championship and then not even make the playoffs the next season. So my question is what would you rather have? Your team winning a Super Bowl or Larry O'Brien trophy?

Here's the real difference between the NBA and the NFL.  

Half (or more) of the regular season NBA games are meaningless.  The NBA regular season is closer to pro wrestling than pro sports. In any given year there are really only six to eight teams that have a realistic shot to win a championship.

Every NBA game is meaningless until the last 3-5 minutes.  The NBA has different rules for different parts of the game, and for different players.  (Please, don't even try to argue this point.  The Jordan Rules apply to every superstar.)

Every NFL game is meaningful.  The regular season is intense and that intensity is raised in the post season.

Half (or more) of the regular season NBA games are meaningless.  The NBA regular season is closer to pro wrestling than pro sports. In any given year there are really only six to eight teams that have a realistic shot to win a championship.

Every NBA game is meaningless until the last 3-5 minutes.  The NBA has different rules for different parts of the game, and for different players.  (Please, don't even try to argue this point.  The Jordan Rules apply to every superstar.)

Every NFL game is meaningful.  The regular season is intense and that intensity is raised in the post season.

I agree with this. I'd rather the Colts win one game than Heat win 10 straight games (don't worry. Not a bandwagoner. Was born in Miami and loved them pre-Lebron)

Best of 7 series is far more likely to see the best team win than a single elimination tournament, hello :highfive2:

^This!

If the NFL went to a best of 7 each round of the playoffs the best team would win each year (and the off-season would be like 3 weeks, lol).

Frankly, I like the single elimination just for the surprise aforementioned "any given Sunday" element. There have been upsets galore!

Hard cap is the difference.

If an owner like the Miami Heat owner or Mark Cuban or Jerry Buss is willing to fork out more money in cap penalties, they can get more talent on the roster without issues. This leads to mid-market teams not being able to keep up with the big market teams. They should agree to much higher penalties (like 3 times of what they pay over the cap for a player) or a harder cap.

Super Bowl. It's not just about winning the game, it's about the lights and the spectacular event itself. There's a whole two weeks of activities leading up to it. The whole world knows what the SB is. The NBA Finals just seem like an oddball extension from the NBA playoffs...nothing special, and like others have mentioned, influenced in obvious ways by referees at some points.

Thing about the NBA is there are only 5 starters big markets can become "store bought championship teams," ala the Heat. Gotta give props to the Spurs though they have won mutiple championships with a team built from scratch and developed. We see what teams like the Lakers, Clippers, Houston, Knicks (<--- hahahah) are trying to do (in recent years) and what the Celtics & Heat have done (buy championships). Players are always swapping to the big markets so it's always good to see teams like the Pacers, Spurs, Thunder and Bulls in contention. I haven't got more satisfaction out of the NBA, besides for the Pacers playing then when the Mavs beat the Heat. Pacers and Spurs this year sure did give the champs a run for their money.

Answer to the question: Super Bowl

-Rant off-

As a lower than mid market team, my grizzlies virtually have zero chances of ever winning a title. This was our "championship" just making it to the final four this year. I like the supreme condition NBA athletes are in. I hate seeing these obese olinemen in the NFL but when it comes down to it, I find myself wanting the best obese ones we can get. NFL still rules.

in the NBA, the league has it's mind made up who will win before the season, and makes sure the refs makes it happen

And let me guess, you think the Knicks rigged the draft to get Ewing, 02 Kings got hosed by the refs against the Lakers, and 06 heat won cause of the refs and Stern hates small market teams.

I love it when people say this. It's like some people don't realize upsets happen in the NBA. It's not like NBA favorites haven't been upset before. Those teams people assume are title contenders and have a shot at winning the title do get upset. The whole "Jordan Rules" is just another way of people to yell conspiracy theories that the NBA is rigged. A look at the playoffs this year alone you could poke hundreds of holes into the "Jordan Rules" argument. It's as flawed as every other complaint about a sport.

I'll take an NBA title over a superbowl. I love the last play of a superbowl to win a game (Not Field goals that's just not as exciting to me), but game 7 final possession down by 1 shot clock off....Hard to beat.

It's a lot of things that happen in the NBA that doesn't happen in the NFL.

In the NBA, you have players running to each other in hopes of winning rings, players taking less money to play for bigger markets, etc.  It's all about how the money is set up.  I have to respect the NFL, because they have it set up where every team has a good chance to succeed if they make the right moves.  I can't say the same for the NBA.  Players run to big markets over-looking small markets, big market teams just buy whatever player they want while the small market have to tread lightly, the lottery doesn't guarantee a bottom feeder team will be able to build.

To be honest, it's so many reasons why it is the way it is between the NFL and NBA, but I can say the main difference is a HARD CAP!  

But I rather win a SB.  Rings in the NBA are becoming kind of lame because superstars are teaming up together and the league is really becoming boring and not competitive.  

It's a lot of things that happen in the NBA that doesn't happen in the NFL.

In the NBA, you have players running to each other in hopes of winning rings, players taking less money to play for bigger markets, etc.  It's all about how the money is set up.  I have to respect the NFL, because they have it set up where every team has a good chance to succeed if they make the right moves.  I can't say the same for the NBA.  Players run to big markets over-looking small markets, big market teams just buy whatever player they want while the small market have to tread lightly, the lottery doesn't guarantee a bottom feeder team will be able to build.

To be honest, it's so many reasons why it is the way it is between the NFL and NBA, but I can say the main difference is a HARD CAP!  

But I rather win a SB.  Rings in the NBA are becoming kind of lame because superstars are teaming up together and the league is really becoming boring and not competitive.  

On the flip side you get to see better basketball. Kobe and Pau vs. Garnett, Pierce and Allen, Lebron and Wade vs. Dirk, Lebron and Wade vs. Durant and Westbrook, Lebron and Wade vs. Tony Parker and Tim Duncan. NBA is all about superstars and while a little more parity would be nice, nothings better than superstars fighting it out to the end. 

That's an easy call for me. NFL all the way. NFL has a hard cap and teams are fined and draft picks are taken away for being over the cap.  NBA's cap is a joke and the richer teams have the advantage. Any rich NBA team just pays the so called luxury tax. All the luxury tax is rich owners paying the NBA to not have a cap. Also the wildcard team in the NFL has won super bowls while the lower seeds in the NBA never win the championships. 82 games don't mean as much as just 16 games either.  I would love to see the Pacers win a championship but it wouldn't touch the excitement for a super bowl for the Colts. Getting a 53 man roster to play as a team is more of an accomplishment than a 9 or 10 man roster in my opinion. 

And let me guess, you think the Knicks rigged the draft to get Ewing, 02 Kings got hosed by the refs against the Lakers, and 06 heat won cause of the refs and Stern hates small market teams.

I love it when people say this. It's like some people don't realize upsets happen in the NBA. It's not like NBA favorites haven't been upset before. Those teams people assume are title contenders and have a shot at winning the title do get upset. The whole "Jordan Rules" is just another way of people to yell conspiracy theories that the NBA is rigged. A look at the playoffs this year alone you could poke hundreds of holes into the "Jordan Rules" argument. It's as flawed as every other complaint about a sport.

I'll take an NBA title over a superbowl. I love the last play of a superbowl to win a game (Not Field goals that's just not as exciting to me), but game 7 final possession down by 1 shot clock off....Hard to beat.

In my opinion your comment about "Jordan Rules" is far off base. It don't take a rocket scientist to see that superstar players get more than their share of calls and non calls. Now in NFL games are not sudden death as in the past so that kind of throws the field goal argument out the window. The scores are way up in the NFL over the past so very few games are decided by field goals. 

The NBA is absolutely rigged to put at least one large TV market team in the finals. Yes, upsets happen, but early fouls and star treatment exist whether fans want to believe it or not. I watched more than one team get up on the Lakers back in the 80's only to watch the refs put a couple front line guys in foul trouble early to get the series even. Seen it waaaaay to many times. I quit following the NBA after a ref was caught asking the scorers bench how many fouls Jordan had because he didn't want to foul him out.

You obviously didn't read the Jordan Rules. The title refers to a defense the Pistons used on Jordan. The book is about Micheal but the special treatment he got on the court can be applied to any superstar player. It's not about conspiracy theories, and I'm not claiming the league is rigged. A role player isn't going to get the same calls as a star, simple as that.

When I lived in Ohio and then DC I went to plenty of NBA games. The regular season is more about entertainment. It's not the same game as the post season. If you can't see that, there's no use discussing it.

As far as contenders, in the last twenty years, how many different franchises have won or been in a championship game?

On the flip side you get to see better basketball. Kobe and Pau vs. Garnett, Pierce and Allen, Lebron and Wade vs. Dirk, Lebron and Wade vs. Durant and Westbrook, Lebron and Wade vs. Tony Parker and Tim Duncan. NBA is all about superstars and while a little more parity would be nice, nothings better than superstars fighting it out to the end. 

Yeah, I'll admit, when the NBA was on the verge of going under, David Stern did the right thing and made it player-oriented.  But times have changed and now it's the the thing that's killing the league.  People are tired of seeing the same teams/players make it every year.  People want to see the excitement of the NFL but in the NBA.  That's why people are asking for shorter seasons, shorter playoffs, parity.  But the players don't want that, that means less money and that is why they fought so hard not to have a hard cap.

The NBA regular season is closer to pro wrestling than pro sports. In any given year there are really only six to eight teams that have a realistic shot to win a championship.

Pretty good analogy but Im not sure the league predetermines the winner before games even take place like wrestling does......Although not outside the realm of possibility

As far as contenders, in the last twenty years, how many different franchises have won or been in a championship game?

I think the # is 7 or 8 and that is absolutely HORRIBLE.

EDIT: Past 30 years Champs are as follows:

LAKERS = 6 TITLES (9 FINALS APPEARANCES)

BULLS = 6 TITLES (6 FINALS APPEARANCES)

SPURS = 4 TITLES (5 FINALS APPEARANCES)

PISTONS = 3 TITLES ( 4 FINAL APPEARANCES)

HEAT = 3 TITLES (4 FINALS APPEARANCES)

ROCKETS = 2 TITLES (2 FINALS APPEARANCES)

CELTICS = 4 TITLES (7 FINALS APPEARANCES)

MAVERICKS = 1 TITLE (2 FINALS APPEARANCE)

That's 8 teams.  Wow! lol

You obviously didn't read the Jordan Rules. The title refers to a defense the Pistons used on Jordan. The book is about Micheal but the special treatment he got on the court can be applied to any superstar player. It's not about conspiracy theories, and I'm not claiming the league is rigged. A role player isn't going to get the same calls as a star, simple as that.

When I lived in Ohio and then DC I went to plenty of NBA games. The regular season is more about entertainment. It's not the same game as the post season. If you can't see that, there's no use discussing it.

Star players get calls in the NFL too.

I did read the Jordan Rules. There's a difference between special treatment flat out bad calls. Kings in 02 was a flat out bad calls and you can ask any Laker fan that they couldn't say with a straight face they got special treatment. The Jordan Rules sure were in full effect when the Knicks tried them  :facepalm: . Also in what world do you see a role player doing what a superstar consistently when it comes to trying to draw contact and draw a foul? I don't see Gary Neal trying to draw contact when he drives the ball. He throws up a float and lowers the chance of draw a foul. Easy to say superstars get the call over regular players when you don't even include what the player does or does not do to even draw a foul.

"The regular season is more about entertainment" is about as funny as it gets. The NBA is about entertainment of freaking course the games are about entertainment. It doesn't matter if it's regular season or postseason at the end of the day players are being paid to play basketball and we watch it for our entertainment. Doesn't matter if it's the NFL, NBA, NHL or whatever sport it's entertainment for the audience that watches it. 

I think the # is 7 or 8 and that is absolutely HORRIBLE.

EDIT: Past 30 years Champs are as follows:

LAKERS = 6 TITLES (9 FINALS APPEARANCES)

BULLS = 6 TITLES (6 FINALS APPEARANCES)

SPURS = 4 TITLES (5 FINALS APPEARANCES)

PISTONS = 3 TITLES ( 4 FINAL APPEARANCES)

HEAT = 3 TITLES (4 FINALS APPEARANCES)

ROCKETS = 2 TITLES (2 FINALS APPEARANCES)

CELTICS = 4 TITLES (7 FINALS APPEARANCES)

MAVERICKS = 1 TITLE (2 FINALS APPEARANCE)

That's 8 teams.  Wow! lol

Might want to include the finals losers as well. The competition has been better than people assume, especially when you look at the teams those champions faced and how far the series went. There are a couple who were dominant in the finals (Rockets sweeping Magic, Lakers in 01, 02, Spurs in 99, 07 etc etc.)

I would watch a regular season NFL game before a NBA playoff game. NBA is a joke to me, due to all the superstars trying to pair up. There are maybe 5 teams who could win a championship and that is all. There are no shockers because the best team is more than likely not losing 4 games. Every NFL games is meaningful and every playoff game is a game 7. NFL > NBA all day everyday

I did read the Jordan Rules. There's a difference between special treatment flat out bad calls. Kings in 02 was a flat out bad calls and you can ask any Laker fan that they couldn't say with a straight face they got special treatment. The Jordan Rules sure were in full effect when the Knicks tried them  :facepalm: . Also in what world do you see a role player doing what a superstar consistently when it comes to trying to draw contact and draw a foul? I don't see Gary Neal trying to draw contact when he drives the ball. He throws up a float and lowers the chance of draw a foul. Easy to say superstars get the call over regular players when you don't even include what the player does or does not do to even draw a foul.

"The regular season is more about entertainment" is about as funny as it gets. The NBA is about entertainment of freaking course the games are about entertainment. It doesn't matter if it's regular season or postseason at the end of the day players are being paid to play basketball and we watch it for our entertainment. Doesn't matter if it's the NFL, NBA, NHL or whatever sport it's entertainment for the audience that watches it. 

Might want to include the finals losers as well. The competition has been better than people assume, especially when you look at the teams those champions faced and how far the series went. There are a couple who were dominant in the finals (Rockets sweeping Magic, Lakers in 01, 02, Spurs in 99, 07 etc etc.)

Lol! Thanks for making my argument for me about special treatment. Which means different rules for different players. It's also pretty obvious that refs don't call the last two minutes of a game the same as the rest.

What I meant about the regular season being more like pro wrestling and entertainment is that a lot of the games are pure mismatches and meaningless as far as the standings. It's not until the end of the season where teams start jockeying for playoff positions that the play picks up.

Another thing to look at is how many teams haven't made the finals in the last ten to twenty years. The NFL parity gives every team hope. When you live in DC you only go to the games to see the other teams.

No way BH4. The SuperBowl in the last 2 minutes with a tight point difference between teams is so much more compelling with fumbles, timeouts, & strategy. Ask Jimmy Kelly & the Buffalo Bills how a wide right field goal kick can literally change lives.

A basket at the the buzzer who cares, but a last second field goal to win a ring on a field in the elements sends chills down my spine for all the right reasons. Let's see basketball players win a Championship in the wind, rain, & snow like real men & demonstrate their resolve & toughness first hand shall we...

I could do the same for any sport it would make the list longer too.  Heck, I could do that for the NFL where you RARELY see the same team go back to back.  What matters is the winner because it shows where the parity exists, how it is easy for larger market teams to repeat and go back while the small markets go through a period of rebuild or mediocrity.  

And to be honest, you can not look at that list and say something is not wrong when in the other major American sports (NHL, MLB, NFL) the # of past champions in past 30 years exceeds 15 different teams.

I understand what you are saying, but that it's the critical thing to look at and what should be looked.  Of course, we could do that with ANY sport.

I never said there were never any competitive series, but the playoffs ARE built for the better team to win.  Like someone said above me, there is LITTLE chance the better team ever loses 4 games in the playoffs. (KEYWORD: little)

Lol! Thanks for making my argument for me about special treatment. Which means different rules for different players. It's also pretty obvious that refs don't call the last two minutes of a game the same as the rest.

What I meant about the regular season being more like pro wrestling and entertainment is that a lot of the games are pure mismatches and meaningless as far as the standings. It's not until the end of the season where teams start jockeying for playoff positions that the play picks up.

Another thing to look at is how many teams haven't made the finals in the last ten to twenty years. The NFL parity gives every team hope. When you live in DC you only go to the games to see the other teams.

If you even watched the Kings vs Lakers Game 6 in 02 you'd have known it was not the last two minutes of that game that were called differently. The entire game (Especially ALL of the 4th quarter) was horribly officiated. 

I love how people think NFL is that much different from the NBA when it comes to competition. Look at the past 30 years of super bowl champions. Patriots and Steelers = 5/10 Super Bowls from 2000-2009, Broncos Cowboys and 49ers = 7/10 Championships from 1990-1999 and 1973-1981 outside of the Dolphins, Steelers and Raiders the Cowboys were the only team to win a title.

NFL and NBA aren't that different.

No way BH4. The SuperBowl in the last 2 minutes with a tight point difference between teams is so much more compelling with fumbles, timeouts, & strategy. Ask Jimmy Kelly & the Buffalo Bills how a wide right field goal kick can literally change lives.

A basket at the the buzzer who cares, but a last second field goal to win a ring on a field in the elements sends chills down my spine for all the right reasons. Let's see basketball players win a Championship in the wind, rain, & snow like real men & demonstrate their resolve & toughness first hand shall we...

That real men talk is about as lame as it gets. So one athlete is more of a man than another because of the the field they play on and where they play on? Anyone else noticing how silly that sounds? I get you're joking (somewhat), but it just sounds silly...

I would watch a regular season NFL game before a NBA playoff game. NBA is a joke to me, due to all the superstars trying to pair up. There are maybe 5 teams who could win a championship and that is all. There are no shockers because the best team is more than likely not losing 4 games. Every NFL games is meaningful and every playoff game is a game 7. NFL > NBA all day everyday

Very well written BPM_Colt! An excellent point. No dark horse Cinderella teams will ever crawl out of the weeds to win a ring like the 1999 St. Louis Rams. Or the probability is much lower NBA wise anyway. 

If you even watched the Kings vs Lakers Game 6 in 02 you'd have known it was not the last two minutes of that game that were called differently. The entire game (Especially ALL of the 4th quarter) was horribly officiated. 

I love how people think NFL is that much different from the NBA when it comes to competition. Look at the past 30 years of super bowl champions. Patriots and Steelers = 5/10 Super Bowls from 2000-2009, Broncos Cowboys and 49ers = 7/10 Championships from 1990-1999 and 1973-1981 outside of the Dolphins, Steelers and Raiders the Cowboys were the only team to win a title.

That real men talk is about as lame as it gets. So one athlete is more of a man than another because of the the field they play on and where they play on? Anyone else noticing how silly that sounds? I get you're joking (somewhat), but it just sounds silly...

Why is that lame BH4? Basketball players might catch a cold playing outside? LOL! What's wrong with playing in the elements? INDY won a ring playing in the rain in 2006...No, what's silly is basketball teams needing a stadium or dome shielded from the elements in order to win a ring. Cry me a river sir with all due respect... 

Very well written BPM_Colt! An excellent point. No dark horse Cinderella teams will ever crawl out of the weeds to win a ring like the 1999 St. Louis Rams. Or the probability is much lower NBA wise anyway. 

2010 Mavs, 04 Pistons and 95 Rockets just to name a few.

EDIT: Actually it's not even a compelling argument the 95 Rockets were a 6 seed yea they count.

Why is that lame BH4? Basketball players might catch a cold playing outside? LOL! What's wrong with playing in the elements? INDY won a ring playing in the rain in 2006? 

Nothing is wrong with playing in the elements. The illusion that real men play in the elements is.

Besides the Cowboys, you named some world-class organizations that CONSISTENTLY make good moves and have one of the best front offices that make the strategic moves to keep their franchises competitive.  That's why people have no problem with that and see it as such.  Also, the hard cap promotes parity which leaves everyone happy because if your team suck, it's most likely because your front office sucks (Browns, Lions, Jaguars,etc.)  Heck, look at our Colts.  We've had PLENTY of crappy years that we can soley credit to our front office.

Not the case in the NBA, you have good front offices in the NBA who try their best to win a ring but because they are always being outbidded by larger markets, players are jetting their teams to join up in a bigger market, because one bad contract is hampering them while a bigger market team just spends more money, and many more reasons, is why people are fed up.  People are tired of paying for a crap product, that is why the NBA is struggling to fill arenas and teams are moving left and right.  I can name plenty of teams in the NBA who have good front offices but go nowhere.

What you are doing is looking at the numbers and saying "They aren't that different".  It's deeper than the numbers.

Why is that lame BH4? Basketball players might catch a cold playing outside? LOL! What's wrong with playing in the elements? INDY won a ring playing in the rain in 2006...No, what's silly is basketball teams needing a stadium or dome shielded from the elements in order to win a ring. Cry me a river sir with all due respect... 

There are basketball courts that do exist outdoors the last time I checked at parks etc & the NBA is wealthy enough to build a nice court anywhere it wants for a finals series IMO. If it were up to me, all Championship games would be outside played with no dome protections...