Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Non-clear bags to be banned from games?

englishcoltsfan

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jules, what time with the FBI be knockin' on my doorstep? Are they hungry? Do they like pork chops & Arnold Palmer lemonade & ice tea? :lol:  :funny:  lmao  

Good idea Southwest, food and beverages always work with men from my experiences!!! lmao

NASCAR has a similar policy with the clear bags. Its a good idea and helps speed up the security lines. 

1 question SOMDcoltsfan: What if a person is tending to the needs of a disabled person in a wheelchair & more than 1 clear bag is required to look after that person during a football game at LOS or the INDY 500? Should an exception be made in this case? If so, that's not fair to other fans who are only allowed 1 clear bag.

If you say that this disabled individual can't attend either event, why not? Their money is just as green as everyone else's right? My point is that this situation is a catch 22 & nobody really wins here. Just food for thought. Not a criticism at all sir. Thank you. 

Good idea Southwest, food and beverages always work with men from my experiences!!! lmao

Exactly Jules. A well feed FBI unit has no interest in apprehending anyone. Besides, given SW1's espionage/spy fetish, I will have all the agents loving me & laughing hysterically in about 30 minutes flat tops. Besides, SW1 looks mysterious & savvy in his dark John Lennon Beatles shades baby. Ha! Ha! Just Kidding!

Hey, let's just drop this 1 clear bag nonsense & just appoint Jack Bauer from the TV show "24" the head of LOS Security...Problem solved... :funny:  :lol:

While at the NFL Draft this year they had this same policy. I got an email from the NFL on location people and it said not to bring a bag. I went to a Duane Reade ( Like a CVS ) and bought a bag so that if I had to throw it away before I went in I wouldn't be out a lot of money. Sure enough I had to toss it..I had to carry my Camera and Draft guides with me. There were people that had were tossing expensive bags so they could get into the Draft...Also I didn't see it mentioned they also wouldn't allow ANY container. I had a empty Coke can and they wouldn't let me bring it in there.

There were a lot of upset people. This one lady couldn't go in because she had too large of a purse...

This thread has a lot of veiled frustrations in sometimes almost coded messages of anger in order to disguise such emotions in order to conform to forum rules.

I am watching you all.......and watching this thread. :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

lol very well said.

I understand the thought process on making such rules. I for one have never felt unsafe at a game, but I guess this is one of those instances when it's better to be safe than sorry. It will be aggravating for fans, but fan safety is important

I agree with you, I also have never felt unsafe at a game but Id rather be safe than sorry thats for sure. I dont disagree with the rules because I understand its about the safety of fans and also even players. Taking in a clear bag doesnt change anything for me at all. 

lol very well said.

Nothing to see here folks. Just line up in single file with your clear plastic bag with your favorite teams logo on it that you purchased and do not say a word!!!

Enjoy the game!!!!

:banana: 

But why do you need a clear bag again? They check bags when you walk through the gate. I'm sure no one can hide a pressure cooker successfully in that case. Also how clear is a bag if its stuffed with a sweatshirt or jerseys from the pro shop?

It seems to me they're *trying* the add extra security even when it lacks logic or a point.

hey JoKeR, Of all the games I went to, My girlfriend was never asked to open her purse or any other bag she happened to pick up with in the pro shop. We have been to about 6 games together so I am glad this safety measure is being taken, just for the sake of fans, players and anyone else working at the stadium. I also see your side of the extra hassle. At LOS we probably dont have the irrate fans that would stab someone over a loss, but (and not to stereo type) but New York might be a different story. its hard to focus more discipline on one certain state/team/teams 

Yes, that is true, but honestly this is an overreaction to 911. Can people smuggle in weapons & later become intoxicated & do something foolish? Sure. This is clearly what security is trying to avoid, but any law enforcement officer will tell you that no location is 100% secure & that all security is a public illusion. Like Brent said, bomb sniffing dogs is what you need to have & make multiple rounds across the stadium & field. 

Trust me, drunk fans are low on the totem pole of concerns. Rather focus on your hiring & vetting practices of employees when it comes to legitimate terrorist threats. The power failure in New Orleans at the SB demonstrates what real terrorists would do: Cut stadium power, contaminate food or water supplies, or god forbid set off an explosive. Clear bags are a joke. They stop no criminal activity IMO.

This is what I had in mind SW1 but thought I'd get shredded got saying so :) When the outcome on the war on terror is restrictions on individuals liberties in the "Land of the free", who is really winning?

Why not go whole hog and have full body scanners to check that fans (I.e. paying customers!) are wearing NFL approved underwear.

NASCAR has a similar policy with the clear bags. Its a good idea and helps speed up the security lines. 

Can you point to a link that says this? I've been to every Brickyard 400 since 1999 and I've always carried a backpack with food and suncreen and a small cooler with lots of water. I've also been to Daytona and Talledega, once each, both times post 9/11. Never heard or seen this in effect. There are size restrictions, but not a clear bag requirement. They also check each bag as it enters.

While at the NFL Draft this year they had this same policy. I got an email from the NFL on location people and it said not to bring a bag. I went to a Duane Reade ( Like a CVS ) and bought a bag so that if I had to throw it away before I went in I wouldn't be out a lot of money. Sure enough I had to toss it..I had to carry my Camera and Draft guides with me. There were people that had were tossing expensive bags so they could get into the Draft...Also I didn't see it mentioned they also wouldn't allow ANY container. I had a empty Coke can and they wouldn't let me bring it in there.

There were a lot of upset people. This one lady couldn't go in because she had too large of a purse...

This rule bums me out as I carry a purse. They already search it and I wonder why that no longer works?

I went to the superbowl and they had a rule "no video cameras', my sister in law had one and the security guard rapidly tossed it in the trash

she retrieved it and went and put it back on the bus

didn't make any sense me as everyone was carrying a cell phone and cell phones have video capability

I'm just depressed by this rule

I've been to both the Meadowlands and Foxboro' and felt safer than walking the streets of London after dark.

Ha, to quote cabbies of many a night out, "I don't go south of the river at this of night mate."

The question is have you tried walking round late night London with all your valuables in a clear bag? If only to be a fair comparison of how secure it makes you feel :P

I understand that but I feel that clear bags will not enhance security at all since bags are a checked. What's the point once bags are checked? Is it for extra security or to make people *feel* safer?

Point well taken.

I just remember my experiences with TSA the week of Sept 11, 2001. I thank my lucky stars that our stadiums have not been vastly impacted like the 6 hour wait on Friday, September 14, 2001 when the airports opened back up....

I continued traveling every week until May of 2008 when I hung up my career.....I have not flown since....just was sick of the TSA nightmares....

That said, I still think we are lucky rules have not been more strict before now.....and I am not for or against the new rules....I will live with it..and yep...Que needs a job!   :)

angel_mixed_0072.jpg

I know we've beaten this into the ground already, but this new rule really irks me.  Won't a clear bag have to be searched just like a non-clear bag?  You can bring a one gallon Ziploc bag, but who wants to carry that around?  How many one gallon Ziploc bags can I bring in?  I would need a bag to put my one gallon Ziploc bag into.  Going to a game already isn't family friendly.  I don't think Irsay likes kids anyway since he makes even the smallest baby buy a ticket.  My son is 4 now and we used to take him to a couple of games per year when he still a baby.  I would find the cheapest ticket I could find for him so he could get into the stadium and he would sit in our laps at whatever section I was sitting in.  We carried a diaper bag and I don't know how we could have made it without it. 

Yes, that is true, but honestly this is an overreaction to 911. Can people smuggle in weapons & later become intoxicated & do something foolish? Sure. This is clearly what security is trying to avoid, but any law enforcement officer will tell you that no location is 100% secure & that all security is a public illusion. Like Brent said, bomb sniffing dogs is what you need to have & make multiple rounds across the stadium & field. 

Trust me, drunk fans are low on the totem pole of concerns. Rather focus on your hiring & vetting practices of employees when it comes to legitimate terrorist threats. The power failure in New Orleans at the SB demonstrates what real terrorists would do: Cut stadium power, contaminate food or water supplies, or god forbid set off an explosive. Clear bags are a joke. They stop no criminal activity IMO. 

I don't think this an overreaction to 9/11 as I don't think it would have taken them 12 years to come up with this policy if it was an overreaction to 9/11.  It's overreaction to Boston where guys set off bombs in backpacks.  Now would have clear bags prevented that attack? I don't know but it would have made it easier to spot that those guys were up to no good.  With that said, they used backpacks and frankly I don't think you need a backpack at a NFL game to start with and I don't think someone is going to be smuggling a bomb into a NFL game in a purse. 

I'll also say a policy only works as well as it's enforced.  A good example of this was when I went to the 500 this year, several gates took the inspection rule very serious this year however at the gate I went too the guy that checked the cooler I had just asked me what I had in it and when I said some sandwhiches and soda the guy just looked in the little opening without even making me open it all the way and said your good.  A couple of minutes later a guy asked me "Was your bag checked?"  When I said yes he said "alright."  While it was nice to be hassled so much I was thinking if I had been trying to smuggle something in I am probably not going to tell the person who checked my cooler oh yeah this is in there and I am not going to say no when asked if it had been checked or not.  So finding that balance between under checking and over checking things is very hard to do and frankly if you want a free society you are never going to be 100% secure.  It just is what it is. 

With that said what this policy pretty much stops is women being able to carry a purse into a NFL game.  They way I would handle that if I didn't like the policy (and I want to be clear I understand 100% why people might not like it) would be to just leave the money and plastic in the car or at home.  Don't spend any money in the stadium and hit the NFL/Colts in the pocket book which is where they will feel it the most.  If enough people did that and said they stopped carrying money and credit cards into the stadium because they couldn't have their purses sooner or later it would get the league's attention and they would do something about it.  With that said I don't think most people will do that, frankly most will probably just keep what they need in their pocket and just go from there and this will be a none story once people adjust to it. 

In a zillion years of going to sporting events, I don't think I've ever taken a 'bag' to any of them, and that includes 7 hour cricket games. You can always get what you need inside the stadium. So, you pay a little more. That's the way it is.

Agree.  I've never carried anything more than the very small bag I posted earlier in this thread. Only big enough for my camera, phone and cash, all of which would fit in my pockets.   We seem to be in a minority, but I am not bothered by this new rule at all.  I see it as no longer  having to stand in long lines waiting for everyone in front of you to have all their belongings checked, which I am ALL for... 

In a zillion years of going to sporting events, I don't think I've ever taken a 'bag' to any of them, and that includes 7 hour cricket games. You can always get what you need inside the stadium. So, you pay a little more. That's the way it is.

You're not a woman.

Wait maybe you are?

Anyway, 95% of the people I see in those bag-checking lines at sporting events are women.

You're not a woman.

Wait maybe you are?

Anyway, 95% of the people I see in those bag-checking lines at sporting events are women.

Well, he's not,  but I am...  and I have Never taken a large bag or purse to a game...   but you are correct 95% of people being checked are women...

You're not a woman.

Wait maybe you are?

At times I'm not sure what I am. My wife calls me many things, and 'man' normally is not it!

95% of those complaining here seem not to be woman. Maybe some are concerned a see through bag will highlight their lippy...

I don't think this an overreaction to 9/11 as I don't think it would have taken them 12 years to come up with this policy if it was an overreaction to 9/11.  It's overreaction to Boston where guys set off bombs in backpacks.  Now would have clear bags prevented that attack? I don't know but it would have made it easier to spot that those guys were up to no good.  With that said, they used backpacks and frankly I don't think you need a backpack at a NFL game to start with and I don't think someone is going to be smuggling a bomb into a NFL game in a purse. 

I'll also say a policy only works as well as it's enforced.  A good example of this was when I went to the 500 this year, several gates took the inspection rule very serious this year however at the gate I went too the guy that checked the cooler I had just asked me what I had in it and when I said some sandwhiches and soda the guy just looked in the little opening without even making me open it all the way and said your good.  A couple of minutes later a guy asked me "Was your bag checked?"  When I said yes he said "alright."  While it was nice to be hassled so much I was thinking if I had been trying to smuggle something in I am probably not going to tell the person who checked my cooler oh yeah this is in there and I am not going to say no when asked if it had been checked or not.  So finding that balance between under checking and over checking things is very hard to do and frankly if you want a free society you are never going to be 100% secure.  It just is what it is. 

With that said what this policy pretty much stops is women being able to carry a purse into a NFL game.  They way I would handle that if I didn't like the policy (and I want to be clear I understand 100% why people might not like it) would be to just leave the money and plastic in the car or at home.  Don't spend any money in the stadium and hit the NFL/Colts in the pocket book which is where they will feel it the most.  If enough people did that and said they stopped carrying money and credit cards into the stadium because they couldn't have their purses sooner or later it would get the league's attention and they would do something about it.  With that said I don't think most people will do that, frankly most will probably just keep what they need in their pocket and just go from there and this will be a none story once people adjust to it. 

GoColts8818, 

You make several good points in your reply. I will admit that the Boston Marathon incident is more recent than 911 & it is probably fresher in peoples minds, but, just from my perspective 911 is the framework that the NFL is using to slow down, foil, & cripple sleeper cell attacks of about 4-6 men working in unison to create chaos & fear into the psyche of millions of people in centralized spot like a football stadium filled to capacity.

Yes, the rules are only as effective as the enforcement protocols are as well as the understanding of these rules across your entire staff an excellent point. Your cooler example is a good one. Speed of the search vs the effectiveness of the search. Benjamin Franklin said "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” My point is this: If security trusts everyone that says that they were already searched when it actually wasn't what's the point of having security at all then? Yes I realize that lines get long & personnel can't search every single item without bringing the line to a complete standstill & annoying every fan behind you. Yes, a balance is needed, but all coolers must be searched & security should have confirmed that they had not searched your cooler. Take nothing at face value or a customer's word ever. Why? All it takes is 1 explosive device to slip through & a tragedy could sadly easily transpire. Yes, you would hope that a dog can smell & detect an explosive device in time that slips through, but you can't count on that either. 

Law enforcement officers and business love credit or debit card usage among customers because it's an easy way to track movements & purchases especially if a horrific incident unfolds at a stadium. Cold cash is frowned upon for this very reason. No paper trail to follow & catch the real criminals. No way to bring anyone to justice through legal channels of recourse. 

GoColts8818, 

You make several good points in your reply. I will admit that the Boston Marathon incident is more recent than 911 & it is probably fresher in peoples minds, but, just from my perspective 911 is the framework that the NFL is using to slow down, foil, & cripple sleeper cell attacks of about 4-6 men working in unison to create chaos & fear into the psyche of millions of people in centralized spot like a football stadium filled to capacity.

Yes, the rules are only as effective as the enforcement protocols are as well as the understanding of these rules across your entire staff an excellent point. Your cooler example is a good one. Speed of the search vs the effectiveness of the search. Benjamin Franklin said "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” My point is this: If security trusts everyone that says that they were already searched when it actually wasn't what's the point of having security at all then? Yes I realize that lines get long & personnel can't search every single item without bringing the line to a complete standstill & annoying every fan behind you. Yes, a balance is needed, but all coolers must be searched & security should have confirmed that they had not searched your cooler. Take nothing at face value or a customer's word ever. Why? All it takes is 1 explosive device to slip through & a tragedy could sadly easily transpire. Yes, you would hope that a dog can smell & detect an explosive device in time that slips through, but you can't count on that either. 

Law enforcement officers and business love credit or debit card usage among customers because it's an easy way to track movements & purchases especially if a horrific incident unfolds at a stadium. Cold cash is frowned upon for this very reason. No paper trail to follow & catch the real criminals. No way to bring anyone to justice through legal channels of recourse. 

If this was a reaction to 9/11 they would have come up with this policy by now, not 12 years later.  The fact that there was a major bombing at a sporting event with people using backpacks and they are now banning none clear bags tells me that's exactly what this is tied too.  9//11 also had nothing to do with bags where as the bombing in Boston did.  You could, and maybe you are arguing that 9/11 opened the door in general for these kinds of policies to go into place however I would say this one is a result of what happened in Boston not what happened 12 years ago although I would agree if there had been no 9/11 it would probably be harder to get this kind of policy in place even with the attack in Boston.

Like I said in my post before, if one is free they are never going to be 100% safe.  Trust me I am NOT in favor of trading in all our freedoms for "safety".  That's why I said you have to work to find the right balance.  Is this policy the right balance?  I don't know because this policy doesn't really effect me.  I can easily understand why women would be upset by this.  I can also understand if they just shrug their shoulders and go enh no big deal I can live with this.  Personally when I go to a sporting event I try to carry as little of anything I can out of fear of it falling out of my pocket and me not noticing it. 

The last part of my post is what I would do if I was upset about this.  Frankly I don't know how many people will truly honestly be upset by it.  The NFL might find out not many people are.  However, if people are the way you get someone's attention like the NFL is by not giving them your money.  You can go to the game but just don't buy food or stuff from the gift store and if enough people don't do that and blame it on this policy then it will change. 

Yes, but that is actually the NFL equivalent  of high priced extortion too. I will admit that this practice is not identical to coerced blackmail, but not everyone who attends a NFL football game is made of money. Maybe this is the only game a person will see this year or for several years for that matter & that can't afford paying for expensive marked up items once inside the stadium either. 

1 question SOMDcoltsfan: What if a person is tending to the needs of a disabled person in a wheelchair & more than 1 clear bag is required to look after that person during a football game at LOS or the INDY 500? Should an exception be made in this case? If so, that's not fair to other fans who are only allowed 1 clear bag.

If you say that this disabled individual can't attend either event, why not? Their money is just as green as everyone else's right? My point is that this situation is a catch 22 & nobody really wins here. Just food for thought. Not a criticism at all sir. Thank you. 

I`m sure there`s a protocol for the disabled or if not yet in place there will be, don`t see as an issue at all. It wouldn't bother me for a disabled person to have more than 1 bag as you state, would it you? 

If this was a reaction to 9/11 they would have come up with this policy by now, not 12 years later.  The fact that there was a major bombing at a sporting event with people using backpacks and they are now banning none clear bags tells me that's exactly what this is tied too.  9//11 also had nothing to do with bags where as the bombing in Boston did.  You could, and maybe you are arguing that 9/11 opened the door in general for these kinds of policies to go into place however I would say this one is a result of what happened in Boston not what happened 12 years ago although I would agree if there had been no 9/11 it would probably be harder to get this kind of policy in place even with the attack in Boston.

Like I said in my post before, if one is free they are never going to be 100% safe.  Trust me I am NOT in favor of trading in all our freedoms for "safety".  That's why I said you have to work to find the right balance.  Is this policy the right balance?  I don't know because this policy doesn't really effect me.  I can easily understand why women would be upset by this.  I can also understand if they just shrug their shoulders and go enh no big deal I can live with this.  Personally when I go to a sporting event I try to carry as little of anything I can out of fear of it falling out of my pocket and me not noticing it. 

The last part of my post is what I would do if I was upset about this.  Frankly I don't know how many people will truly honestly be upset by it.  The NFL might find out not many people are.  However, if people are the way you get someone's attention like the NFL is by not giving them your money.  You can go to the game but just don't buy food or stuff from the gift store and if enough people don't do that and blame it on this policy then it will change. 

Yes, that is my primary thesis: 911 was the landmark event that caused many businesses to massively fund security procedures on a monumental scale of epic proportions & examine whatever practices they need to install or revamp. People never forget what started this tectonic shift in security concerns 911 not the Boston Marathon. My Benjamin Franklin quote was not an indictment against you personally GoColts8818. Rather, a mechanism to ask the citizens of this country is the quality of that security really worth the price we are all paying for it? Do you feel safer? My point is this: If somebody really wants to cause a person bodily harm, there really isn't much security can do prior to the violent act. After it sure, but not before.

"If people are the way you get someone's attention like the NFL is by not giving them your money. " The NFL makes the bulk of their billions through broadcasting contracts with TV networks, licensing fees on NFL products, & anti-trust legislation. A few thousand people going to stadium games out of defiance over prices & security practices isn't exactly going to bring the multi-billion dollar NFL enterprise to it's knees. JMO. Nothing personal. Nice chatting with you GoColts8818. I enjoyed seeing your point of view. 

I`m sure there`s a protocol for the disabled or if not yet in place there will be, don`t see as an issue at all. It wouldn't bother me for a disabled person to have more than 1 bag as you state, would it you? 

Considering that I am disabled myself since birth, nope the bag policy doesn't bother me that much at all SOMDColtsfan. But, disabilities do come with varying degrees of severity too.

My only point was this: According to the letter of the law regarding this clear bag policy only 1 bag is allowed per person &, if you want to get technical if an exception is made in 1 case, it defeats the original purpose behind the rule. It's the difference between strict, ironclad enforcement vs a relaxed laissez faire approach. 

Yes, that is my primary thesis: 911 was the landmark event that caused many businesses to massively fund security procedures on a monumental scale of epic proportions & examine whatever practices they need to install or revamp. People never forget what started this tectonic shift in security concerns 911 not the Boston Marathon. My Benjamin Franklin quote was not an indictment against you personally GoColts8818. Rather, a mechanism to ask the citizens of this country is the quality of that security really worth the price we are all paying for it? Do you feel safer? My point is this: If somebody really wants to cause a person bodily harm, there really isn't much security can do prior to the violent act. After it sure, but not before.

"If people are the way you get someone's attention like the NFL is by not giving them your money. " The NFL makes the bulk of their billions through broadcasting contracts with TV networks, licensing fees on NFL products, & anti-trust legislation. A few thousand people going to stadium games out of defiance over prices & security practices isn't exactly going to bring the multi-billion dollar NFL enterprise to it's knees. JMO. Nothing personal. Nice chatting with you GoColts8818. I enjoyed seeing your point of view. 

Yes but the NFL is still wants money and if their profits go down from people not buying stuff in their stadiums they are going to want to know why.  Like I said it would take a very LARGE number of fans doing it to get their attention.  Trust me if people aren't spending money in the stadium it will get the league's attention.  I highly doubt it would come to that though.  They aren't going to take a loss on running the souvenir stands and food vendors just because they are making money in other areas though.  The NFL is too well run to do that. 

Can you point to a link that says this? I've been to every Brickyard 400 since 1999 and I've always carried a backpack with food and suncreen and a small cooler with lots of water. I've also been to Daytona and Talledega, once each, both times post 9/11. Never heard or seen this in effect. There are size restrictions, but not a clear bag requirement. They also check each bag as it enters.

You are absolutely right. I used to go to a lot of races in the 80`s, 90`s and had gotten away from it. Met my wife and her family are big nascar fans and started going again post 9/11. They always used the clear backpacks to carry scanners and cushions, etc and was told that was new policy and never looked it up for myself. But I just looked up several track websites and nowhere does it say they have to be "clear". Surprise to me. But I will say the "clear" bags are much easier for the track security to inspect and its always been a breeze going through. We use them at the big dirt track events too, just easier IMO to get through quickly

I am still a bit puzzled :nutz:  as to what all the Fuss is about..   :mindblow:   :?:

Fuss? No more like hypocrisy on the part of the NFL. These clear bags may make fan lines flow more smoothly, but they do not curtail crime. They are just another way the NFL can make more money under the illusion of safety & security. These bags do not stop dangerous terrorists from creating another violent act of chaos, anarchy, & physical & psychological damage. That's the problem with it in my book...It's a profit, marketing gimmick pure & simple & it demonstrates a lack of legitimate concern over what meaningful, life saving security really entails regarding the peace of mind & safety for all NFL fans across this country. JMO. 

I guess my question is..... What is it that people feel the NEED to take into a game that requires a Bag...??

When I go to the games, the only things I take in is  my ticket, my camera, my cell phone, and cash,  all of which could fit in 

my pockets.  

If it's a game that I need a sweatshirt or jacket,  I wear it in.