Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

USA today article-Andrew Luck

BronxColtNYC

"Sometimes he's going a little bit too fast for the rest of us, making checks, switching plays, changing the cadence. He apologizes and brings it back," second-year tight end Dwayne Allen said. "He's definitely at command of the ship. He is on top of it. This is his offense, and he's in control.

"Last year, he'd be looking back at (Arians), 'Can I do this? What about this?' This year, it's like, 'This is how it's going down. Hey, you, get here. You go there. We've got this.' It's totally different."

Beautiful.

Best part of the article right here: ""That was sort of the standard that's been set here. It's kind of what the building expects," Hasselbeck said. "I can't think of a more perfect guy to kind of fill the role."

Can you follow your HOF predecessor & carry on the mantle of precise attention to detail & still become your own man in the QB position Andrew? Matthew Hasselbeck appears to think so & that gives me hope for a bright INDY future.

[url=http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/

Chills.

They're multiplying.... :P

Good article, thank you for sharing. I know there is a degree of "feel good" spin at this stage before the season where every team (even the Raiders!) feel confident, but all the sighs seem to be good coming out of camp.

"Sometimes he's going a little bit too fast for the rest of us, making checks, switching plays, changing the cadence. He apologizes and brings it back," second-year tight end Dwayne Allen said. "He's definitely at command of the ship. He is on top of it. This is his offense, and he's in control.

"Last year, he'd be looking back at (Arians), 'Can I do this? What about this?' This year, it's like, 'This is how it's going down. Hey, you, get here. You go there. We've got this.' It's totally different."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

And that it is why it was such a shrewd move by Grigson and Pagano to bring in Hamilton as the OC. With knowing Hamilton and the offense, it brings in a familiarity to Luck that most of the offense doesn't have, which has placed Luck in an advantageous position of being a mentor. And that will obviously build a huge step further upon the leadership that he had already established from last season. 

I don't think the presence of Matt Hasselbeck can be over stated.

From a pure on-the-field standpoint he obviously fits the mold for a quality backup.

But what he can bring in the quarterbacks room is invaluble and it's pretty clear that Luck truly appreciates having a guy with so much knowledge as his backup.

Allen says Hamilton's offense will make ball control and protecting Luck (sacked 41 times in 2012) priorities: "Last year it was relying on Andrew's arm. I believe this year we want to take some of that pressure off him."

That's what I want to hear. I feel like, even if our acquisitions on the O-line don't pan out as expected, at the very list, we now have a scheme that will try to protect Luck. As bad as our line play was last year, the constant emphasis of a vertical passing game made them look 10 times worse. I think the players and the organization loved BA, but I've seen so many comments from Pagano and various players that suggest they aren't particularly sad or heart-broken to be moving on from his offensive scheme 

Guest NDColts!!

Luck will have the element of many ways to attack the defense's, No more will teams wage a full assault on him an that lets him learn to read his plays at a slower pace! Lets not forget that the weapons are more seasoned too and in place to be better. LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!

I hope Indy turns Luck loose this season with a full on NO HUDDLE attack...

I want this too. Let him control everything. Use short passes instead on runs. But I think Pep us really going to try to pound the ball and use playaction.

Andrew's last 2 seasons in Pep's offense at Stanford yielded 70% completion and 69-18 TD-INT.

I'm excited what he can do back home in that offense.

Those are great numbers.....but I dont want us to protect Andrew Luck and throw less at the cost of winning 10 games and going to the playoffs...

Stanford was better and phyiscally stronger than most teams they played....we wont be better or stronger than SF, Houston, Cincy  or Denver.....I dodnt want to get away from throwing the ball down the field...It won for this group

It sounds like Andrew can make the offense his own and call a lot fo what he wants.

That's when he becomes a great player...and that could be as soon as this year

Those are great numbers.....but I dont want us to protect Andrew Luck and throw less at the cost of winning 10 games and going to the playoffs...

Stanford was better and phyiscally stronger than most teams they played....we wont be better or stronger than SF, Houston, Cincy  or Denver.....I dodnt want to get away from throwing the ball down the field...It won for this group

It sounds like Andrew can make the offense his own and call a lot fo what he wants.

I think we might be better than Houston, and certainly better than the Bengals. I agree that SF and Denver will be though, because they have good QBs too.

The talk of being a run-first team is just coach-speak, in my opinion. The front office, the coaching staff, the players and the fanbase all know that the offense will primarily go through Luck. I think what will be brought to the table in this offense is a true running game to balance the offense and keep defenses honest. Luck had the season he had last year without the threat of a true play-action. Imagine what he'll do this year with a ground game, in a more efficient system that he's already familiar with?

This is why "The Decision" was made after the 2011 season. The Colts have been fortunate to have drafted him on the heels of Manning.

Now that the larger part of the fanbase is not ready to run Irsay out of town after cutting Payton and firing the Polians things look a little brighter. It's great to have Luck and all the new players and coaches but it was Irsay who took the gamble and the heat and stayed firm. Irsay takes a lot of undue negativity but I for one think he is one of the best owners in the NFL. 

"but I don't want us to protect Andrew Luck and throw less at the cost of winning 10 games and going to the playoffs" ???   I can't help but think that comment just dont make sense. Maybe it's just me?