Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rotoworld projected Colts starting lineup.

NCost12

10. Indianapolis Colts

QB: Andrew Luck
RB: Vick Ballard
WR: Reggie Wayne
WR: T.Y. Hilton
TE: Dwayne Allen
TE: Coby Fleener
LT: Anthony Castonzo
LG: Hugh Thornton*
C: Samson Satele
RG: Donald Thomas*
RT: Gosder Cherilus*

Offensive Overview: GM Ryan Grigson attacked Luck's line in free agency and the draft, continuing to assemble one of the NFL's top young offenses. At 6-foot-3, 320 with 34-inch arms, Thornton is a plug-and-play left guard out of Illinois. Thomas and Cherilus shore up a right side that regrettably trotted out Mike McGlynnJeff Linkenbach, andWinston Justice last season. It's a good sign for Indy's long-term outlook that Grigson showed such urgency to upgrade after identifying those liabilities. Under new coordinator Pep Hamilton, the Colts will play West Coast offense with regular two-tight end packages. Hilton will be the field stretcher while Wayne relies on crisp route running to get open on the first and second levels. Luck is a lock to be more efficient in terms of completion rate and passer rating in Hamilton's system. The Colts' offensive weak spot is still tailback, where Ballard can get what's blocked and pass protect but does not create on his own.

LE: Cory Redding
RE: Ricky Jean-Francois*
NT: Josh Chapman
ILB: Jerrell Freeman
ILB: Kavell Conner
OLB: Robert Mathis
OLB: Bjoern Werner*
RCB: Vontae Davis
LCB: Greg Toler*
FS: Antoine Bethea
SS: LaRon Landry*

Defensive Overview: Defense was the Colts' 2012 downfall, ranking 26th in yards allowed and 29th versus the run. Most memorably -- and most embarrassingly -- Indy was shredded for 232 yards and three touchdowns by Shonn Greene and Joe McKnight on 35 carries (6.63 YPC) in a Week 6 loss to the lowly Jets. Greene is now a backup in Tennessee, while McKnight is a third- or fourth-stringer in New York. Grigson upgraded his defense's physicality by signing Landry and Jean-Francois, and a competitive bookend for Davis in underrated Toler. Big things are expected of 2012 fifth-round pick Josh Chapman, an early-round talent who fell in the draft due to college injuries. He's healthy now. Although not quite elite, Chuck Pagano's pass rush should improve with first-rounder Werner playing opposite Mathis, and Erik Walden working in as a rotational rusher. This defense is not going to be great, but should be quite a bit better than last year's.

Heyward-Bey will start over T.Y.  At the very least, they will share that 2nd spot, and both be on the field in 3 receiver sets.

Coby Fleener will start in 2 TE sets, but with a fullback in (Stanley Havili), Coby will sit.

I think Samson Satele is going to get cut.  I think A.Q. Shipley will start at C, and Khaled Holmes will get playing time as the year progresses.

Aubrayo Franklin should start at NT.  Chapman will rotate in, but probably can't play more than 30 snaps per game because his knee is still recovering, and you can't go crazy on it his first year in.

Mathis is starting at ROLB (switching from his the left side).  I think Erik Walden is starting on the LOLB.  I believe Werner is going to be the back up for Mathis on the right side.

i really hate how the media all they do is look at stats. they dont see how the defense kept us in games for luck to have his 6 game winning drives. how the offense was struggling vs the chiefs and the defenses kept holding them to fgs. how the defense shuts down the packer offense in the second half. no all they see is stats.

i really hate how the media all they do is look at stats. they dont see how the defense kept us in games for luck to have his 6 game winning drives. how the offense was struggling vs the chiefs and the defenses kept holding them to fgs. how the defense shuts down the packer offense in the second half. no all they see is stats.

our defense was clutch, but not very good. that suggests lack of talent but excellent leadership

our defense was clutch, but not very good. that suggests lack of talent but excellent leadership

our defense wasnt good because of injuries and having to play a system that was foreign to them. now this year we actually have the defensives players we need to play a 3-4

Couldn't agree more. Sure the Chiefs ran it down our throat all game. But they couldn't put points up. Points win games, not stats. Defense kept Offense in that game for sure.

I don't care if the D held the Chiefs to FGs, allowing over 350 yards rushing is plain awful.

it was charles and hillis. not exactly slouches and what people need to understand was this defense didnt fit a lot of the guys we had last year. why do you think we have brought in some many defensive players in FA and the draft.

7 game winning drives

I don't care if the D held the Chiefs to FGs, allowing over 350 yards rushing is plain awful.

350 & how many points? Yes it was an awful showing, but stats don't win you games they just get you on the highlight reels of NFL Network

Probably the last time in this new era that someone will run 350 on us. This defense has now changed.

Last year was patchwork, this year is the blueprint. We're now moving forward with the Monster

Heyward-Bey will start over T.Y.  At the very least, they will share that 2nd spot, and both be on the field in 3 receiver sets.

Coby Fleener will start in 2 TE sets, but with a fullback in (Stanley Havili), Coby will sit.

I think Samson Satele is going to get cut.  I think A.Q. Shipley will start at C, and Khaled Holmes will get playing time as the year progresses.

Aubrayo Franklin should start at NT.  Chapman will rotate in, but probably can't play more than 30 snaps per game because his knee is still recovering, and you can't go crazy on it his first year in.

Mathis is starting at ROLB (switching from his the left side).  I think Erik Walden is starting on the LOLB.  I believe Werner is going to be the back up for Mathis on the right side.

I think you're going to end up being a lot more accurate than Rotoworld. Personally, I think whoever can show they can stay healthiest between Satele, Shipley and Holmes should start and one gets cut.

Going to be so much rotation on the D7 it really doesn't matter who starts.

it was charles and hillis. not exactly slouches and what people need to understand was this defense didnt fit a lot of the guys we had last year. why do you think we have brought in some many defensive players in FA and the draft.

D allowed 1 TD per game the last 4 games. I'd take that D any day. With the commitment to stop the run, the O should get more opportunities.

Can't wait!

350 & how many points? Yes it was an awful showing, but stats don't win you games they just get you on the highlight reels of NFL Network

Probably the last time in this new era that someone will run 350 on us. This defense has now changed.

Last year was patchwork, this year is the blueprint. We're now moving forward with the Monster

You aren't going to win many games allowing those rushing numbers. Obviously the front office has done a lot to make sure it doesn't happen again, I'm definitely excited for the D this yearn which has not been the case in the past. But the D last year was simply not very good.

You aren't going to win many games allowing those rushing numbers. Obviously the front office has done a lot to make sure it doesn't happen again, I'm definitely excited for the D this yearn which has not been the case in the past. But the D last year was simply not very good.

Well, let's look at a few factors as to why our Defense was simply "not very good" as you say

1. NEW system & Positions for our players

2. Injury Bug resides in Indianapolis

3. Vaughn was #2 & #1 CB that he had NO BUSINESS being

4. Offense struggled in the red zone leaving points on the field thus putting pressure on defense to continuously bail them out

That's just a few reasons why. And despite all those reasons, we ended up being 11-5 when we were predicted to win no more than 2 games. There were some games that made you hold your head DOWN at our defense. But there were more games that made you hold your head UP at a defense that allowed a Rookie QB have 7 comeback wins. Something no one ever heard of from a Rookie QB.

The future is bright for this franchise no matter how ugly/dark the initial stages were

I think Franklin starts at NT with Chapman rotating in, but all I know is that this team looks significantly stronger than last year. Our D has been upgraded in a big way. That may not necessarily translate into more wins given that we won practically all of our close games last year, but we should certainly be more competitive in our toughest games.

Also, what doesn't show up in projecting our starting lineup is how much better the depth's gotten. 

The guy that works @ Rotoworld, ...who is responsible for posting this "Projected Starting Lineup", .....works....@....Rotoworld, and does not.....work for the Colts coaching staff.

As an official Arm-Chair, 1st team, all tarrant county, Couch QB of this forum, .... :funny: , allow me to submit my 1st team roster for
the 2013 season, of players who WILL absolutely get playing time, unless injured:

:colts:  OFFENSE

QB - Andrew Luck

RB - Vick Ballard - [We didn't take an RB, and this guy earned R.Grigson's seal of approval, not mine]

FB - Stanley Havili or Dan Moore [D.Moore is an angry FB, that runs a 4.5]

WR1 - Reggie Wayne

WR2 - Darius Heyward-Bey & T.Y. Hilton - [DHB wasn't signed to play slot receiver, but will, in certain packages]

TE - Dwayne Allen & Coby Fleener - [D.Allen doesn't have to play FB this year]

RT - Anthony Castanzo

LG - Donald Thomas

LT - Gosder Cherilus

** LG & C are T.B.D........Nobody on the Colts offensive line, has the right tools, for protecting Andrew's blindside than D.Thomas, G.Cherilus. I purposely put them on the left side, because i think the coaches will see it the same way. **

:colts: DEFENSE

SS - Laron Landry

FS - Antoine Bethea

RCB - Vontae Davis

LCB - Greg Toler

LOLB - Robert Mathis, then Bjoern Werner

ROLB - Erik Walden, then Lawrence Sidbury

ILB - Jerrell Freeman

ILB - Pat Angerer

NT - Montori Hughes, then Josh Chapman

RE - Rickey Jean-Francois

LE - Cory Redding

** They didn't pay E.Walden to warm the bench, he will start and set the edge according to Grigson & Pagano's scheme...M.Hughes will make the roster, and compete for the starting NT position, and B.Werner allows R.Mathis to rest, filling in admirably, until Mathis retires completely....You can take this check to bank, and cash it, it's good, the funds are there, and so is free coffee & donuts **

Well, let's look at a few factors as to why our Defense was simply "not very good" as you say

4. Offense struggled in the red zone leaving points on the field thus putting pressure on defense to continuously bail them out

That's just a few reasons why. And despite all those reasons, we ended up being 11-5 when we were predicted to win no more than 2 games. There were some games that made you hold your head DOWN at our defense. But there were more games that made you hold your head UP at a defense that allowed a Rookie QB have 7 comeback wins. Something no one ever heard of from a Rookie QB.

The future is bright for this franchise no matter how ugly/dark the initial stages were

I do think it's unfair to knock our D last year too much. We asked a lot of them considering the scheme transitioning towards one that some of our top guys didn't fit (Freeney, Angerer, Nevis was an up and comer and ideal in our old D). Even if some of the misfits were apparent, there was never a lack of effort or energy. I give them props to do as well as they did in a tough spot.

That said, we needed to find players who fit better, upgrade talent on the top end, and improve our depth if we were going to be more than a nice Cinderella story and be legit contenders year in, year out. I think we're well on the way to doing that after this offseason.

I think Franklin starts at NT with Chapman rotating in, but all I know is that this team looks significantly stronger than last year. Our D has been upgraded in a big way. That may not necessarily translate into more wins given that we won practically all of our close games last year, but we should certainly be more competitive in our toughest games.

Also, what doesn't show up in projecting our starting lineup is how much better the depth's gotten.

Bingo! I think you're spot on. We may be a much better team but still not win more games.

That depth is really what matters for another successful season.

Heyward-Bey will start over T.Y. At the very least, they will share that 2nd spot, and both be on the field in 3 receiver sets.

I think Samson Satele is going to get cut. I think A.Q. Shipley will start at C, and Khaled Holmes will get playing time as the year progresses.

Aubrayo Franklin should start at NT. Chapman will rotate in, but probably can't play more than 30 snaps per game because his knee is still recovering, and you can't go crazy on it his first year in.

Mathis is starting at ROLB (switching from his the left side). I think Erik Walden is starting on the LOLB. I believe Werner is going to be the back up for Mathis on the right side.

Chapman's knee isn't still recovering, he had that surgery almost 16 months ago. His knee is more than ready to go. ACL typically is a 9 -10 month injury

I don't know why you're spelling all this out to me. Obviously the D last year was going to have some struggles because of the cover 2 personnel. Again, the D last year wasn't very good but the future looks bright.

Looks pretty solid to me.. Pretty amazing the roster turnover we have had in the last 2 years. This should be a very exciting team to watch for years to come.. Lots of improvement where we needed it!! Protect Andrew & stop the run.. Now just hope it works as planned

We are obviously projecting our base formations here. What about our 4-3 sets? I am assuming Werner would come in with the hand in the dirt opposite of Mathis. I would still assume Walden comes out in most 3rd and long situations even in our base defense. 

I'm in the camp that sees Satele becoming a solid starter this year when healthy, I realize there aren't many of us.  

I like the projected lineup "except" center Satele! I just seam to remember him getting hurt and coming out of the game and once healthy he would once again start again, I could be wrong I don't have a great memory for every tiny detail without research..... I just kept hearing Shipley replacing a hurt Satele.....I wanted Schwenke in the draft since he has great success playing either guard position and the center position, shame he went to the Titans at #107. Colts could have had him at #86

Schwenke out of all the players in the country was rated at before the draft #80 and Thornton who the Colts picked was #106.....

I'll be watching if he is good in the 1st games the Colts play them, I would like Schwenke to succeed to show I was right, but being a Cots fan I would actually now love to see Chapmen throw him aside and get the QB :}

<Jedi Luck says "Lets Go Colts!!!!!"

Chapman is a 340 lbs. (or so) man.  I realize he had surgery 16 months ago, but you don't get fully right for about 2 years.  He was quoted recently saying his knee feels "almost" normal.  That tells me he still has a little ways to go.  He will play and be effective, but the season is long, and he really shouldn't push it.....so I predicted up to 30 snaps per game.  In the end, the coaching staff and medical staff need to make sure he is around for a long time and not do anything to jeopardize a full recovery in a few more months. 

Preseason will determine a lot for Chapman.  He needs to get thru that without any issues, and go from there.  Maybe play him 20 snaps in the first preseason game, and then see what to do from there based on how he feels. 

The guy that works @ Rotoworld, ...who is responsible for posting this "Projected Starting Lineup", .....works....@....Rotoworld, and does not.....work for the Colts coaching staff.

As an official Arm-Chair, 1st team, all tarrant county, Couch QB of this forum, .... :funny: , allow me to submit my 1st team roster for
the 2013 season, of players who WILL absolutely get playing time, unless injured:

:colts: OFFENSE

QB - Andrew Luck
RB - Vick Ballard - [We didn't take an RB, and this guy earned R.Grigson's seal of approval, not mine]
WR1 - Reggie Wayne
WR2 - Darius Heyward-Bey & T.Y. Hilton - [DHB wasn't signed to play slot receiver, but will, in certain packages]
RT - Anthony Castanzo
LG - Donald Thomas
LT - Gosder Cherilus

** LG & C are T.B.D........Nobody on the Colts offensive line, has the right tools, for protecting Andrew's blindside than D.Thomas, G.Cherilus. I purposely put them on the left side, because i think the coaches will see it the same way. **

SS - Laron Landry
FS - Antoine Bethea
RCB - Vontae Davis
LCB - Greg Toler
ILB - Jerrell Freeman
ILB - Pat Angerer
LE - Cory Redding

** They didn't pay E.Walden to warm the bench, he will start and set the edge according to Grigson & Pagano's scheme...M.Hughes will make the roster, and compete for the starting NT position, and B.Werner allows R.Mathis to rest, filling in admirably, until Mathis retires completely....You can take this check to bank, and cash it, it's good, the funds are there, and so is free coffee & donuts **

I agree D. Thomas will be the LG .... but, I do not think there is any chance of them moving G. Cherilus to LT.

:colts: OFFENSE

QB - Andrew Luck

WR1 - Reggie Wayne

RT - Anthony Castanzo

LG - Donald Thomas

LT - Gosder Cherilus

SS - Laron Landry

FS - Antoine Bethea

RCB - Vontae Davis

LCB - Greg Toler

ILB - Jerrell Freeman

ILB - Pat Angerer

LE - Cory Redding

Just to comment on your last paragraph, Walden isn't making THAT much money to BUY himself a starting spot. Werner could very easily come in and take that spot away from him, and very quickly.