Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DC Council may push Washington Redskins into 'Washington Redtails'

bap1331

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/dc-council-may-push-washington-redskins-into-washington-redtails/2013/04/30/456cb72c-b1a7-11e2-bbf2-a6f9e9d79e19_story.html

It says that the Redskins name is considered "derogatory; and racist"

The Washington Wizards is bad enough...(formerly the bullets but changed because gun violence is common in dc and it gave dc a bad name)

Now they want to turn another team name into something cheesy?

They will be the laughing stock of the NFL...just like the Pelicans in the NBA.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/dc-council-may-push-washington-redskins-into-washington-redtails/2013/04/30/456cb72c-b1a7-11e2-bbf2-a6f9e9d79e19_story.html

It says that the Redskins name is considered "derogatory; and racist"

The Washington Wizards is bad enough...(formerly the bullets but changed because gun violence is common in dc and it gave dc a bad name)

Now they want to turn another team name into something cheesy?

They will be the laughing stock of the NFL...just like the Pelicans in the NBA.

Sounds stupid IMO lol

But the pelicans aren't as bad as people think the logo is actually pretty cool and its the state bird I do believe so it makes sense

A redtail...what? Deer? Hawk? Lol just calling them redtails does sound silly. I have no problem with the term Redskins, though I can see how some would be offended. Pelicans is much worse though.

They should change the name....it's incredibly racist...just not to Redtails.

Yeah, they need to commit to changing it completely or leave it as it is. Just come up with a new mascot, it isn't hard at all.

It'll never have the desired impact and could even backfire on the council members who decide to back it.  Saw a funny conversation on the local news about it, though.  African American anchor asked Grosso (white guy playing for political minority support, naturally) if he had checked with any surviving Tuskegee Airmen about the team adopting the Redtails name and he had to admit that he hadn't.  Struck me as incredibly inconsiderate by the standards of extreme political correctness as I can think of at least one notable figure in the team's history who might cause them to be reticent to lend the nickname to the team.

The most annoying thing about all of this hyper-PC nonsense, though, is that much of the apparent cause for outrage over the term isn't even historically accurate.  It's an issue that's a little bit more nuanced than either side is typically willing to acknowledge.

They should change the name....it's incredibly racist...just not to Redtails.

I completely agree.

It would be weird seeing the Redskins logo and name change but this is one of those traditional American symbols that probably should be hung up in the closet with the white hoods and rebel flags (along with the Cleveland Indian logo). I don't even think the name was probably originally intended to be blatantly offensive (well I hope not anyways) but the fact remains it pretty much is regardless.

I agree that people tend to be a bit over sensitive in this day and age but ill take a little too much sensitivity over complete insensitivity any day of the week.

I don't quite understand whether the problem is the rude word-choice, or the fact that it references Indians at all. Why don't they take a survey of native American groups and see if there is an acceptable substitute that they would embrace. IE: Do people complain about the Florida State Seminoles?  I wonder if there was a particular tribe indigenous to that region. There's the Delaware, but that might be a bit confusing.  :P

Warriors works alliteratively plus suits the NFLs desire for pointless aggressive posturing. In neither case would they even have to change the uniforms. There must be something, but Redtails? I don't quite get that. The reference to Hawks is cool, but the name redtails sounds ridiculous. If you choose to parse it, it's just as ridiculous as the current name - and potentially considerably more embarrassing - particularly if they were to get spanked by an opponent. :D

By the way, I thought that Baltimore Bullets was a great name. I fondly remember them back in the Monroe/Chenier/Hayes/Unseld days when the Colts led me to have affinity for most things Baltimore (despite being a Knicks fan). Cool uniforms too. Wizards is just ridiculous.

I completely agree.

It would be weird seeing the Redskins logo and name change but this is one of those traditional American symbols that probably should be hung up in the closet with the white hoods and rebel flags (along with the Cleveland Indian logo). I don't even think the name was probably originally intended to be blatantly offensive (well I hope not anyways) but the fact remains it pretty much is regardless.

I agree that people tend to be a bit over sensitive in this day and age but ill take a little too much sensitivity over complete insensitivity any day of the week.

Why would you name your team after something that you despise and look down on? It's supposed to be something cool to inspire your fan base. Redskin's is a phrase that's grown to be insensitive, but common sense suggests that it's usage was intended to be no more offensive than "Cowboys", or "Vikings". They are just silly phrases. Just envision our teams being big kids going out to play "Cowboys and, uh, Vikings" (Is that what little kids do growing up in Minnesota - I'm not clear about that part. :P)

I wonder if there was a particular tribe indigenous to that region. 

The Conoy and Powhatan native Americans are native to that area. Conoy are based more in Maryland while the Powhatan were in Eastern Virginia/Western Maryland which is exactly the location of DC. 

Both tribes spoke a dialect of Algoquian.

The fact that people have been complaining about the name forever should be a clue that there is a legitimate grievance there. They've got the whole "hogs" thing, change your name to Razorbacks, or Baconators or whatever and your fans can still wear dresses and pig snouts. My great-grandmother was a full blooded Powhatan, so that makes me like 1/24th or something haha, and I know my grandmother and great-aunt were teased as kids because of the color of their skin. I have a cousin who was "red-skin" and long black hair and he gets grief in high school.

Is it the most offensive name on earth? No, but it still doesn't make it acceptable. And lets not compare Pelicans (state bird of Louisiana) to Redskins. The list of stupid team names could just about fill the Grand Canyon, the list of offensive names you could probably count on both sets of fingers, which is where the problem lies. You shouldn't be able to count offensive team names on anything.

It's not like if they change the name history, and RGIII will be shown the door. Let's be honest the Redskins could use a makeover anyway. But hey if you are that in love with the name "Redskins" change your logo to a Potato, and have a coke and a smile and shut off.

Posted · Hidden by Warhorse, May 1, 2013 - p
Hidden by Warhorse, May 1, 2013 - p

one of those traditional American symbols that probably should be hung up in the closet with the white hoods and rebel flags.

What's wrong with the confederate flag? More so now today people should fly it. The whole point of the secessionists was over states rights. 'Slavery' was only a portion of the personal property fight. The education system tries to blow the slavery issue way out if proportion. It always stood for states rights. Ignorance of the issue doesn't change the facts.

Caveat- I am not condoning slavery, or secession.

It'll never have the desired impact and could even backfire on the council members who decide to back it.  Saw a funny conversation on the local news about it, though.  African American anchor asked Grosso (white guy playing for political minority support, naturally) if he had checked with any surviving Tuskegee Airmen about the team adopting the Redtails name and he had to admit that he hadn't.  Struck me as incredibly inconsiderate by the standards of extreme political correctness as I can think of at least one notable figure in the team's history who might cause them to be reticent to lend the nickname to the team.

The most annoying thing about all of this hyper-PC nonsense, though, is that much of the apparent cause for outrage over the term isn't even historically accurate.  It's an issue that's a little bit more nuanced than either side is typically willing to acknowledge.

I assumed the reference was the redtail hawk. Not sure what DC has to do with the Tuskegee Airmen.

And even if true, the original intent of the term doesn't matter. It's pretty obvious the term has been used as a slur for some time now and Native Americans find it insulting.

Posted · Hidden by Warhorse, May 1, 2013 - Politics
Hidden by Warhorse, May 1, 2013 - Politics

What's wrong with the confederate flag? More so now today people should fly it. The whole point of the secessionists was over states rights. 'Slavery' was only a portion of the personal property fight. The education system tries to blow the slavery issue way out if proportion. It always stood for states rights. Ignorance of the issue doesn't change the facts.

Oh man....that is a path you do not want to go down to and I suggest we get back on topic mighty fast....You don't want me to get started with that so please just keep it on the topic of the redskins potential name change.

The war kicked off over slavery preemptively and correct me if I'm wrong, but succession was in direct response to Lincoln being elected. Because southerners feared, correctly, that abolishing slavery was quickly around the corner. Funny that Lincoln, who was ironically at the time a republican president. Now most who fly the confederate flag are themselves republicans.

The Union weren't saints either, as their whole motivation was to just keep the entire Union together as opposed to free slaves at the onset of the war. But to say slavery wasn't a huge part of what the confederate flag represented is rewriting a huge chunk of history.

NOW it may mean something different for those who fly it, but its origins are not anything to brag about or be proud of IMO.

I'm not overly-PC myself but IMO the team should probably change its name at this point. It's 2013. Naming a team after a specific tribe (ie: The Seminoles) is a little different from using a colloquial slang term from way back when.

I also think, with the NFL's stance on social issues in recent years, it's a little hypocritical.

The war kicked off over slavery preemptively and correct me if I'm wrong, but succession was in direct response to Lincoln being elected. Because southerners feared, correctly, that abolishing slavery was quickly around the corner. Funny that Lincoln, who was ironically at the time a republican president. Now most who fly the confederate flag are themselves republicans.

The Union weren't saints either, as their whole motivation was to just keep the entire Union together as opposed to free slaves at the onset of the war. But to say slavery wasn't a huge part of what the confederate flag represented is rewriting a huge chunk of history.

NOW it may mean something different for those who fly it, but its origins are not anything to brag about or be proud of IMO.

I am in no way trying to brag. And yes states seceded when Lincoln was elected but some had already seceded just before because the slavery issue was already drawing to a head. It was a slow buildup process that many thought the government was overstepping its bounds. Slavery, (personal property rights) is what finally set it off. But the growing dissension had already started and has its roots in the founding of the country where there was always a strong movement for states rights like Patrick Henry and Thomas Jefferson. And yes, this may be better had over PM if anyone likes a good discussion.

Sorry to be off topic. Felt that your comment was unnecessary.

The fact that people have been complaining about the name forever should be a clue that there is a legitimate grievance there. They've got the whole "hogs" thing, change your name to Razorbacks, or Baconators or whatever and your fans can still wear dresses and pig snouts. My great-grandmother was a full blooded Powhatan, so that makes me like 1/24th or something haha, and I know my grandmother and great-aunt were teased as kids because of the color of their skin. I have a cousin who was "red-skin" and long black hair and he gets grief in high school.

Is it the most offensive name on earth? No, but it still doesn't make it acceptable. And lets not compare Pelicans (state bird of Louisiana) to Redskins. The list of stupid team names could just about fill the Grand Canyon, the list of offensive names you could probably count on both sets of fingers, which is where the problem lies. You shouldn't be able to count offensive team names on anything.

It's not like if they change the name history, and RGIII will be shown the door. Let's be honest the Redskins could use a makeover anyway. But hey if you are that in love with the name "Redskins" change your logo to a Potato, and have a coke and a smile and shut off.

The hogs/hogettes thing really isn't very big with the fanbase.  It referred to a very specific single unit on the team in the 80s and a very specific set of fans who wore dresses and snouts to games who hung it up more recently.  It's got very little to do with the modern team.

I assumed the reference was the redtail hawk. Not sure what DC has to do with the Tuskegee Airmen.

And even if true, the original intent of the term doesn't matter. It's pretty obvious the term has been used as a slur for some time now and Native Americans find it insulting.

The councilor proposing the resolution was the one who made that link, which is why this strikes me as a particularly slimy, pandering move.  The only tenuous link is an exhibit at the Smithsonian.

I'm real curious as to how many people have ever heard that term used as a slur.  I'd bet that the absolutely overwhelming majority of people have only heard the term used in reference to the team.

The hogs/hogettes thing really isn't very big with the fanbase.  It referred to a very specific single unit on the team in the 80s and a very specific set of fans who wore dresses and snouts to games who hung it up more recently.  It's got very little to do with the modern team.

The councilor proposing the resolution was the one who made that link, which is why this strikes me as a particularly slimy, pandering move.  The only tenuous link is an exhibit at the Smithsonian.

I'm real curious as to how many people have ever heard that term used as a slur.  I'd bet that the absolutely overwhelming majority of people have only heard the term used in reference to the team.

I've never heard it as a slur. I just know the stories I've heard. I think it has to do with the fact that the team name is a feature of a particular race of people. I know my cousin gets called Tonto, and Pocahontas (he's a boy....so go figure) amongst other things.

In a land of freedom we are held hostage by the tyranny of political correctness

— Robert Griffin III (@RGIII) April 30, 2013

^^^^^

I like what he said!!!!!

Sounds like he is being held hostage by the tyranny of stupidity.