Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have traded Jerry Hughes for Bills LB Kelvin Sheppard

B-B

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was Rotoworld. They are, first and foremost, a fantasy football site.

Just sayin, just because Rotoworld says he "fared poorly against the run" doesn't make it true.

I only brought it up because some were acting as if this guy is God's gift to the run defense and I think they are going to be severely disappointed. The guy may turn out to be alright, but I have tempered expectations.

We are really really really selling out on run defense lol.

Don't let the comment I'm about to make fool you, because I like that we're finally trying to stop the run.. but it's just funny.. The relationship between the tendency of NFL teams running the ball and our effort to improve against run defense is exactly INVERSE. haha

I only brought it up because some were acting as if this guy is God's gift to the run defense and I think they are going to be severely disappointed. The guy may turn out to be alright, but I have tempered expectations.

That's what I figured.

I think he'll be just fine in our front. But we did give up a rotational pass rusher, and that makes me nervous.

Imho i really believe that one day Jerry Hughes will become a good-great pass rusher somewhere. Maybe its with the bills, maybe not. I think he will make 1-3 pro bowls in his carrer.

I am not, by any means saying this was a bad trade. Hughes did not work in Indy. Maybe a change of scenery will be good for him. Good luck Jerry. Wish you well. Welcome, Mr. Sheppard, help build the monster!

He just didn't seem to handle the conversion very well, ala Freeney.

I don't think that this is the same conversion big Mario was asked to make in Houston.  I think his hand will still be down and the scheme is quite a bit different than Houston's, as is ours.  I am with you that Buffalo is managing toward short term results like corporate America, but their use of Mario might actually improve in this transition.

I don't see why everyone is getting psyched over this trade. We trade an OLB who showed signs of improvement after being switched to OLB in the 3/4...Why? Because we picked up and drafted a few OLBs who we have never seen play on our team, and have no idea if they are going to be better than Hughes in his second year in the system or not. In return we get an underwhelming Bills player; I don't see anything to get excited about.

Hughes is not the greatest player in the league, but he is not as bad as many on this board make him out to be. I can't wait to see who the herd names as the next forum whipping boy.

Or who the happy clappers all love, even when it is obvious that the said player(s) are a liability. 

In other words,,,,,if it is ok to like a player, then it is ok to not like a player.....

Don't let the comment I'm about to make fool you, because I like that we're finally trying to stop the run.. but it's just funny.. The relationship between the tendency of NFL teams running the ball and our effort to improve against run defense is exactly INVERSE. haha

Not when teams can run for damn near or over 400 yards on you.

What about Harvey? Doesn't he play OLB? Hughes. Is better than him

I honestly don't know. But Grigson and Pagano obviously weren't interested in him beyond what they've seen, despite his obvious improvement under them. There could be any number of reasons that is.

Assuming Sheppard is the starter, he does. Or both Sheppard and Freeman, and bring in Angerer and a nickelback.

You're going to see multiple looks out of our defensive front this season. And that's an understatement.

I don't know if this guy will start or not but I don't like the idea of pulling your MLB in a 3-4 defense on any down. Your MLB is your qb of the defense. They get the coverage called in and the package set. They are an every down player. I don't mind bringing one off the field but don't you always have one that takes care of all the plays. I have never seen a team pull both their mlb and few pull either except in nickle or dime coverages. I would think we have one starting MLB....that would never come off the field except in an unusual coverage scheme because they have to relay the calls to the rest of the team....unless our safety is doing that .....but they usually only relay the secondary and get them set up in coverage...they can't be worried about who is blitzing and gap assignments. To me....this kid will fight for a starting lb role....and we will likely have one guy that never leaves the field....and the possibly rotate the other lb between nickle and coverage lb....I have no clue who plays what....but someone isn't coming off.

Watched quite a few Buffalo games and despite Kelvin starting those games, his name is hardly mentioned. Seems to be a money saving trade while adding some backup depth possibly.

We didn't save money though, we added(i don't know exact number) 180,000 to the cap

I don't know if this guy will start or not but I don't like the idea of pulling your MLB in a 3-4 defense on any down. Your MLB is your qb of the defense. They get the coverage called in and the package set. They are an every down player. I don't mind bringing one off the field but don't you always have one that takes care of all the plays. I have never seen a team pull both their mlb and few pull either except in nickle or dime coverages. I would think we have one starting MLB....that would never come off the field except in an unusual coverage scheme because they have to relay the calls to the rest of the team....unless our safety is doing that .....but they usually only relay the secondary and get them set up in coverage...they can't be worried about who is blitzing and gap assignments. To me....this kid will fight for a starting lb role....and we will likely have one guy that never leaves the field....and the possibly rotate the other lb between nickle and coverage lb....I have no clue who plays what....but someone isn't coming off.

Reminding you all that I'm a Bills fan and I've seen Sheppard play. No one in Buffalo is talking about missing Sheppard. He was 100% going to be cut this year, and he was the starting ILB on one of the worst run defenses in the NFL. He has a pretty darn good D-line in front of him and if he ever made a play that mattered (not, frankly, that the Bills are often in a game where any play matters!), I don't remember it. 

I'm just trying to give you perspective from someone who never misses a game. Sheppard is a good guy by all accounts, but not a good player. I would put the odds at less than 50% that he makes the team. The Colts have good linebackers and Sheppard is not a good linebacker. 

By the way, I don't expect much, if anything, from Hughes. But at least reading the posts here, there are at least some people who liked his play. You'd be hard-pressed to find any Bills fan missing Sheppard. He was a guy in a uniform last year. 

To the posterwhose rationale is that this is a bad move by the Bills because the Bills are inept, well, I can't argue their ineptitude, but I can say that in this case they are purging a mistake instead of making one. Sheppard is in no way the next Paul Pozlusny--when the Bills let Poz go, it was over money more than productive play. Sheppard stinks and was a wasted 3rd round pick. 

You're probably right. I wasn't thinking about that, but I also had convinced myself that Bethea is the on-field captain. Freeman was the one getting the calls in last year.

Great trade on our part, Sheppard can do a lot of things well but not one thing great.. For all those saying he's a better zone or run stopper. So now you ask then why did we get a mediocre player? Because he has waaaaaaayyyyyy more of a upside then Jerry.. 

I don't see any realistic scenario where Wayne or Mathis could be traded. Grigs will do everything to improve the team. Those two exemplify 'team'.

L.A.M.

You missed the point stated in the post? The point was that something could happen you cant see - the players mentioned were irrelevent.

But to your point - You are telling me you seen Peyton getting cut? Not traded - you seen him getting cut? But you cant see any scenerio were we move a 30+ WR?

C'mon - I bet theres at least 3 WR you could justify trading Reggie for.

Reminding you all that I'm a Bills fan and I've seen Sheppard play. No one in Buffalo is talking about missing Sheppard. He was 100% going to be cut this year, and he was the starting ILB on one of the worst run defenses in the NFL. He has a pretty darn good D-line in front of him and if he ever made a play that mattered (not, frankly, that the Bills are often in a game where any play matters!), I don't remember it. 

I'm just trying to give you perspective from someone who never misses a game. Sheppard is a good guy by all accounts, but not a good player. I would put the odds at less than 50% that he makes the team. The Colts have good linebackers and Sheppard is not a good linebacker. 

By the way, I don't expect much, if anything, from Hughes. But at least reading the posts here, there are at least some people who liked his play. You'd be hard-pressed to find any Bills fan missing Sheppard. He was a guy in a uniform last year. 

To the posterwhose rationale is that this is a bad move by the Bills because the Bills are inept, well, I can't argue their ineptitude, but I can say that in this case they are purging a mistake instead of making one. Sheppard is in no way the next Paul Pozlusny--when the Bills let Poz go, it was over money more than productive play. Sheppard stinks and was a wasted 3rd round pick. 

Well, at least in Buffalo, Hughes will get credit for what he does do instead of criticized for what he doesn't

You missed the point stated in the post? The point was that something could happen you cant see - the players mentioned were irrelevent.

But to your point - You are telling me you seen Peyton getting cut? Not traded - you seen him getting cut? But you cant see any scenerio were we move a 30+ WR?

C'mon - I bet theres at least 3 WR you could justify trading Reggie for.

There are several but we'd be fleecing the other team.

Well, I've seen it proposed quite a few times, and the average snide response was a "bag of Doritos" or something along those lines. 

Despite Sheppard apparently not being a popular guy among Bills fan, he's still a potential starter for our team. No way did I think Hughes would bring back a starter for us. Not because I dislike Hughes, but because I just didn't think there was a market for someone like him.