Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Re-Sign Qb Dan Orlovsky

1959Colts

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have four on the roster for 2 or 3 weeks tops. If Kerry is going to recover and is better in a couple of weeks, Dan the man is gone. If Kerry stays hurt, they will either cut him (which I doubt because of $$), or put him on IR and Dan the man stays. I do not think, as long as Peyton is progressing that he will ever see the IR this season. If we get to the end of the season and we have nothing to play for, he may play a few series to get some reps before next year. If we get to the end of the season with a glimmer of hope, he will come back and play.

Painter showed real promise in his last preseason game and the final drive last Sunday was more Peyton-esque than Kerry "the receiver is 10 yards closer to the ground than my pass" Collins.

Ultimately, we are 0-3, the worst that happens is we hit 0-4. I think we might all be pleasantly surprised because we all have realistic expectation of this kid.

I know hopes are high for Painter.

But I fear he will be bouncing those nose down passes off the turf again Monday night, and we will all be calling for Orlovsky.

Oh well, keep the faith. I guess?

You must be mad, if you think dan orlovsky will start... you should look at him in that famous lions game lol.... dan will be insurance thats all.

I never said Orlovsky will start this week. I just think Painter will stink and Collins has stunk.

So then comes Dan.

There's a reason why dan orlovsky was released instead of painter earlier on... he throws more INT's than painter and he doesnt stare down his targets 24/7. painter is the best active QB the colts have on their active roster period.

Orlovsky was released, and Painter retained, due more to Bill Polians big ego than anything else.

Painter is a Polian draft choice.

The preseason games showed Orlovsky outplayed Painter.

As I recall most of the posters on this board were disappointed in Dan's release and that they chose to keep Painter in his place.

During Detroits winless season, Orlovsky had a very good game against Indy.

Just looks to have more natural QB awareness than Painter to me.

We are all entitled to our opinions, and mine is "Dan will be The Man"

Orlovsky was released, and Painter retained, due more to Bill Polians big ego than anything else.

As I recall most of the posters on this board were disappointed in Dan's release and that they chose to keep Painter in his place.

Put that same guy under center in a close game and i do not see him producing anything... there's a reason why this guy is a traveler in the NFL....

Here's Dans stats 46 pct 3TD's 3INT's 65.8 rating

Here's Painter's stats 51 pct 2TD's 1INT 81 rating...... i think its evident who is the better QB there

I find all of this rather hiliarous. Calling for Painter, saying Orlovsky is better than both. Kerry is the best of the three check out his body of work. However it would be nice to see if Painter can be better, which is a distinct possibility, he is young can move around the pocket and has a decent arm, a little work with the first team and who knows. All that said I am pretty sure we will have a shot at drafting a quality QB next season and we definitely should, it is easy to see if you have a good QB who sits a while and learns the game he can be dang good. This organization hopefully has learned that.

Those stats mean nothing.

I base my opinion on what I have seen on the field.

While Orlovsky has not been great, I think hes better than Painter.

We shall see. My prediction is that after Monday nights game, the fans will all be calling for Dan.

If you actually watched the game you would see orlovsky throwing up ducks especially in the rams game... im not gonna try to convince you other wise but orlovsky is horrible and he himself will tell you he has alot to work on.

If you actually watched the game you would see orlovsky throwing up ducks especially in the rams game... im not gonna try to convince you other wise but orlovsky is horrible and he himself will tell you he has alot to work on.

I watched all the Colts games. Very closely. Yes all the QBs stunk.

I dont think ANY of them should be on this team.

You dont have to convince me of anything. They all stink.

I simply think, since I have very little confidence in Painter, at the end of the day, the fans will want to see Orlovsky. And then he will most likely stink!

I simply think, since I have very little confidence in Painter, at the end of the day, the fans will want to see Orlovsky. And then he will most likely stink!

weeeell thank god your not the colts head coach

I'm more interested in who they dropped.

With any luck, it will be Lacey!!

With all due respect, how many back up QB's have looked lights out against this team over the years. We seem to make no names get some NFL love until the following week when they perhaps play a defense that crushes him. But you are right in one sense, they are all bad and probably should be serving tacos at the bell and KC should be living up the good life from previous contracts. Scrap this getting hammered stuff for 4 million, I would be on the beach somewhere getting rubbed down.

dig the artie donavan avatar.

Put that same guy under center in a close game and i do not see him producing anything... there's a reason why this guy is a traveler in the NFL....

Here's Dans stats 46 pct 3TD's 3INT's 65.8 rating

Here's Painter's stats 51 pct 2TD's 1INT 81 rating...... i think its evident who is the better QB there

as per stampede blue as we all know thats an opinionated opinion but makes a point

The #'s are skewed as Painter worked exclusively with the starters

Again, like many people who tortured themselves repeatedly watched all four Colts preseason games, it was obvious Orlovsky outplayed Painter and is, overall , a better quarterback. Just like with Tom Brandstater last season (another somewhat below average QB who outplayed Painter), the Colts have a frustrating tendency to make excuses for Painter at the expense of better options at the back-up QB position.

In preseason this year, working mostly with players who did not make the final 53-man roster, Orlovsky completed 46% of his passes for 386 yards, three TDs, three INTs, and one fumble. Amazingly, those numbers are only slightly worse than Painter's in preseason, and Curtis worked exclusively with the starting offense.

as per stampede blue

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/9/27/2453478/colts-reportedly-re-sign-qb-dan-orlovsky

as per stampede blue as we all know thats an opinionated opinion but makes a point

The #'s are skewed as Painter worked exclusively with the starters

Again, like many people who tortured themselves repeatedly watched all four Colts preseason games, it was obvious Orlovsky outplayed Painter and is, overall , a better quarterback. Just like with Tom Brandstater last season (another somewhat below average QB who outplayed Painter), the Colts have a frustrating tendency to make excuses for Painter at the expense of better options at the back-up QB position.

In preseason this year, working mostly with players who did not make the final 53-man roster, Orlovsky completed 46% of his passes for 386 yards, three TDs, three INTs, and one fumble. Amazingly, those numbers are only slightly worse than Painter's in preseason, and Curtis worked exclusively with the starting offense.

as per stampede blue

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/9/27/2453478/colts-reportedly-re-sign-qb-dan-orlovsky

Very rarely do I use garbage to describe an article. That blog article was truly a bunch of garbage.

Orlovsky made no timing throws, he held the ball too long or stared down his wideouts. His prayers were mostly a 9 route for Taj Smith, some of which were answered and some of the throws he attempted to the sideline either magically drifted towards the middle of the field for an INT or went out of bounds or hit defender's hands. I'd rather the pass hit dirt than be close to a defender's hands. For someone with NFL starting experience, Orlovsky showed no ability to use head fakes or run a timing offense very well. Based on that, anyone who thought Orlovsky outplayed Painter in pre-season needs to re-examine themselves, that is all.

What a joke.

We are all arguing who is better...

Painter

Orlovsky

Collins

I'm sorry to say, what a sad cast for an NFL team

None of them are long term starting caliber QBs at the NFL level, I will agree on that. But, hey, do we really have other options with the way we are maxed to the cap?

None of them are long term starting caliber QBs at the NFL level, I will agree on that. But, hey, do we really have other options with the way we are maxed to the cap?

True, there is no easy remedy. But it should never have come to this.

Just poor management by the front office.

To go from a perennial superbowl contender, to possibly a 0-16 season, because of an injury to one player, is simply unacceptable.

This says more about the health of Kerry Collins than it does anything about Curtis Painter. If Orvlosky was cut in camp for Painter why do people think they would bring him back to start over a healthy Painter? With Manning already out and Collins probably going to be out as well we needed another QB on the roster as we couldn't go with just Painter and Orvlosky has at least spent some time in the system thus he gets brought back. I called this when I heard Collins went out with a concusion and I said look for Hartline or Orvlosky to be signed this week and sure enough that's what happened.

True, there is no easy remedy. But it should never have come to this.

Just poor management by the front office.

To go from a perennial superbowl contender, to possibly a 0-16 season, because of an injury to one player, is simply unacceptable.

If you were in the front office what would you have done differently? Keep in mind that most veterans QBs would not be available because they would want to go to a team where they have a relationship with the OC or have a chance to start.

Over the years they could have simply paid a quality backup QB to play behind Peyton Manning.

First Sorgi, then Painter.

Come'on Man

Yeah and it worked for 13 years...

It also let us keep guys like Dallas Clark, Jeff Saturday, Bethea, and others over the years. People flipped out when we signed Collins for 4 million this year when we needed another QB. That's what a good back up QB costs in this league. Can you only imange how our fan base would flip out if we signed a back up QB who never played? People would be screaming that Polian was just wasting money and losing good players that that money could have been used on.

Also, big name back ups don't want to come to Indianapolis. There was a story in Peter King's Monday Morning QB during the pre-season when he came to Colts camp and talked to Chris Polian and Polian said the last time Manning was hurt they looked for a vet back up QB to come in and the back up QB just told them he would just waste a year of his career coming to Indy. Not only does the back up QB not play in Indianapolis they don't even practice.

So it might be the Colts stick with Painter and Sorgi because that was the best they could do and were willing to spend money on. Again, it worked for 13 years and it's hard to argue with those results.

This says more about the health of Kerry Collins than it does anything about Curtis Painter. If Orvlosky was cut in camp for Painter why do people think they would bring him back to start over a healthy Painter? With Manning already out and Collins probably going to be out as well we needed another QB on the roster as we couldn't go with just Painter and Orvlosky has at least spent some time in the system thus he gets brought back. I called this when I heard Collins went out with a concusion and I said look for Hartline or Orvlosky to be signed this week and sure enough that's what happened.

I still don't even believe Collins has a concussion.

The way the Colts front office is running things this year it's just too fishy.

First it was reported Collins had some injury before the Pittsburgh game (not a concussion).

On NBC pregame a reporter stated how Collins was banged up, and if he couldnt make it through the game, the team would then turn to Painter.

I had a feeling we would see Painter that night.

Then low and behold, we see Painter warming up and he enters the game.

Painter throws for a td, and shows he may deserve a shot?

and now Collins is diagnosed with a concussion.

It's just an excuse so they could put Painter in the game. To save face, without having to bench Collins due to his ineffectiveness, so the Polians would not have to admit his high priced signing was a mistake.

I think, at this point, they should just IR, or cut Collins and go with Painter and/or Orlovsky.

At least we would finally get to see if the two young guys can play, and possibly be Mannings backup?

If not, then cut both of them at seasons end.