Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1959Colts

Colts Re-Sign Qb Dan Orlovsky

Yeah and it worked for 13 years...

It also let us keep guys like Dallas Clark, Jeff Saturday, Bethea, and others over the years. People flipped out when we signed Collins for 4 million this year when we needed another QB. That's what a good back up QB costs in this league. Can you only imange how our fan base would flip out if we signed a back up QB who never played? People would be screaming that Polian was just wasting money and losing good players that that money could have been used on.

Also, big name back ups don't want to come to Indianapolis. There was a story in Peter King's Monday Morning QB during the pre-season when he came to Colts camp and talked to Chris Polian and Polian said the last time Manning was hurt they looked for a vet back up QB to come in and the back up QB just told them he would just waste a year of his career coming to Indy. Not only does the back up QB not play in Indianapolis they don't even practice.

So it might be the Colts stick with Painter and Sorgi because that was the best they could do and were willing to spend money on. Again, it worked for 13 years and it's hard to argue with those results.

Yeah it worked for 13 years because luckily Manning didnt get hurt.

That was just good luck. Nothing more. To say thats smart planning is asinine.

Now we go from superbowl contender to bottom dweller.

They should have drafted a decent backup or brought in a quality backup to learn the system.

And I dont buy the theory decent back ups wont come here. Just pay a guy.

Hey, it worked for the Steelers to draft the kinds of Santonio Holmes etc., to win the SB or be a playoff team and flat out suck the next year :).

Hey, it worked for the Steelers to draft the kinds of Santonio Holmes etc., to win the SB or be a playoff team and flat out suck the next year :).

When have the Steelers sucked?

Yeah it worked for 13 years because luckily Manning didnt get hurt.

That was just good luck. Nothing more. To say thats smart planning is asinine.

They should have drafted a decent backup or brought in a quality backup to learn the system.

And I dont buy the theory decent back ups wont come here. Just pay a guy.

Right it has nothing to do with Manning big durable and playing threw some injuries, or the Colts building an o-line that protected Manning and kept him from being hurt... It was all just dumb luck...

As for the Super Bowl Contender to bottom dweller comment, many here myself included said that was going to be the case if something happened to Manning. When we had this debate last year guess who the guy being thrown out as the best back up in the NFL was? Kerry Collins. So we now have what just a year ago many of us felt was the best back up QB in the NFL and look at how it's not working. Next man up works for 21 of 22 starters on this team (well maybe 20 depending on how you feel about Freeney.) Manning is the one guy they can't over come and this season is backing that point up.

Right so we could all scream at Polian for ignroing our real needs and wasting money on a big name back up QB who never plays. If you don't think that's the case go back and look at things our fans say. We've gone from saying Curtis Painter couldn't be a high school team's QB to oh he's the answer at the QB spot. Colts fans lost their minds when we spent money to get Collins in here this year. Could you imange how they would have responded if we had a big name back up on the roster who wasn't playing and we had to let a guy like Clark, Saturday, or Bethea leave in free agency because of it?

Say what you will the results speak for themselves the way they handled the back up QB poistion worked for 13 years.

So much for years past.

Reality is, we shall now see how Polians QB stratagy fairs going forward.

Starting with this crappy year.

They did go 6-10 in 2003 and got Big Ben in 2004 draft in round 1. They did go 8-8 in 2006 and got Lawrence Timmons in the 2007 draft in round 1 (and got Lamarr Woodley in round 2, heck of a draft). So, they made sure that when their draft position was set up good, they struck it good.

You might say when have they sucked 3-13 type, right? Hey, to me, it is no difference whether you are 3-13 or 6-10, you still sucked the previous season. That is just me.

The other aspect of backup QB development is the ratio of snaps in practice and in training camp, THAT has got to change when Peyton comes back. Practice, not theory, is perfect, even for a backup QB.

The problem is they don't have a crystal ball. Yes, they knew Peyton was hurt, but they have never had him be unable to recover prior to this. Should they have been more proactive? Yes, but when it has worked for 13 years, you try not to reinvent the wheel. Besides, who in God's name would they get? When you tie nearly ever cent you have in Peyton, Freeney, and Wayne, there isn't much left to be spent on players, especially a clip board holding backup QB.

Kerry Collins, on paper, seemed like it was a good move. He had a rough year last year, but had been solid overall. Now he is just old and slow moving. Either he has a concussion or he is tired of publicly sucking, either way it didn't work.

Painter has some energy and ability to move quicker. May not be a perfect solution, but who else are we going to use.

Orlovsky is nothing more than a place holder. Addai and McAfee are even less of an option, we had to do something.

I am over the gloom and doom. We need to back OUR team. Be thankful it isn't the 80's and the early 90's.

I still don't even believe Collins has a concussion.

The way the Colts front office is running things this year it's just too fishy.

Well fortunately for the Colts Collins got hit in the head and was looked at by the training staff to make the rouse complete.
First it was reported Collins had some injury before the Pittsburgh game (not a concussion).

On NBC pregame a reporter stated how Collins was banged up, and if he couldnt make it through the game, the team would then turn to Painter.

Gasp, they were talking about the most important topic to the Colts before their first nationally televised game. You mean they actually discussed the two healthy QBs on the Colts roster. I guess they were in on the conspiracy.
I had a feeling we would see Painter that night.

Then low and behold, we see Painter warming up and he enters the game.

Again fortunate Collins got a helmet to the chin so they could put their plan in action.
Painter throws for a td, and shows he may deserve a shot?

and now Collins is diagnosed with a concussion.

Yeah, very suspicious, players rarely get concussions in football.
It's just an excuse so they could put Painter in the game. To save face, without having to bench Collins due to his ineffectiveness, so the Polians would not have to admit his high priced signing was a mistake.
$4 million this year is not a high price for a veteran QB.
I think, at this point, they should just IR, or cut Collins and go with Painter and/or Orlovsky.

At least we would finally get to see if the two young guys can play, and possibly be Mannings backup?

If not, then cut both of them at seasons end.

Is there a reason you haven't answered my question? Who would you have signed in the past so this situation would have never occured?

Sorry, I must have missed your question.

I didnt really give it any thought who I would prefer?

Over the years many have switched teams thru free agency. Or why not draft a decent guy.

But as an NFL GM, I think Bill Polian should be able to come up with someone better than the likes of...

Orlovsky Sorgi, Painter, Brandister, That fat guy from the arena league what ever his name was?

Well let me ask you coffee...

Do you think, had Collins not gotten the so called concussion, would they have replaced him with Painter during the Pittsburgh?

And assuming Collins plays the entire steelers game, and we still lose, would they start Collins again this week at TB?

And if you were the GM, and Collins is healthy, who do you think the qb should be?

The other aspect of backup QB development is the ratio of snaps in practice and in training camp, THAT has got to change when Peyton comes back. Practice, not theory, is perfect, even for a backup QB.

I've been thinking this for the past few weeks as well. How can ANY QB be successful without the reps? And after we heard about Collins' shoulder injury, I was certain that Painter would get more reps with the 1st team 'just in case'. But CP said he only had a couple and the rest were mental reps.

I would certainly like to see what Painter can do with ALL the 1st team reps. When he came into the game stone cold, he made a noticeable difference after he settled down, as most of us could see. And he remains the only healthy QB on the roster who knows our offense well; only Peyton knows it better.

Orlovsky is better than Painter he showed that in the preseason he moved the offense and made faster and better decissions than Painter and Painter has been in this system for three years now. Painter hit on 2 passes that was it he also bounced that many balls to recievers. they should have cut Painter and kept Orlovsky to begin with. If Collins doesnt start than I would rather see Orlovsky start. Curtis,s first year he was alright as a backup but ever since then hes just another Jim Sorgi can carry a clipboard but thats about it. Im sure if Painter put the work instudying and throwing he could get back to alright but hes got to want to.

Orlovsky was released, and Painter retained, due more to Bill Polians big ego than anything else.

Painter is a Polian draft choice.

The preseason games showed Orlovsky outplayed Painter.

As I recall most of the posters on this board were disappointed in Dan's release and that they chose to keep Painter in his place.

Not the nonsense with Polian's ego again! Painter was kept because he has significantly more upside than Orlovsky. He is playing better with each brief opportunity. Orlovsky had an entire year as an NFL starter and all that's gotten him is a seat at home waiting for the Colts to call.

Orlovsky didn't remotely outperform Painter in the pre-season. He played in the second half against the scrubs scrubs and barely moved the ball. At no point has Orlovsky ever been above Painter on the depth charts, and I doubt that he ever will be baring injury. The fact that you desire this says more about you than about either QB.

So changing gears, who was released to make room for Orvlosky?

I've not been able to find out who was cut?

Have to believe the Colts have not released that news yet.

Does it make any sense to keep Manning on the roster any longer?

Not the nonsense with Polian's ego again! Painter was kept because he has significantly more upside than Orlovsky. He is playing better with each brief opportunity. Orlovsky had an entire year as an NFL starter and all that's gotten him is a seat at home waiting for the Colts to call.

Orlovsky didn't remotely outperform Painter in the pre-season. He played in the second half against the scrubs scrubs and barely moved the ball. At no point has Orlovsky ever been above Painter on the depth charts, and I doubt that he ever will be baring injury. The fact that you desire this says more about you than about either QB.

Ok ok. Painter it is. But I am not the only one who felt Orlovsky out played Painter in preseason.

But mark my words, Im sorry to say, after Monday night, everyone will be calling for Danny Boy.

Those stats mean nothing.

I base my opinion on what I have seen on the field.

While Orlovsky has not been great, I think hes better than Painter.

We shall see. My prediction is that after Monday nights game, the fans will all be calling for Dan.

Another "Polian's ego" conspiracy?

Painter was kept and dan released because the team knows what they have with Painter. Dan is more of a question mark.

The team obviously think Painter is better (see Wayne's comments).

Collins has proven himself, old or not. Painter and Dan have proved NOTHING.

Collins just got here. You gotta give the guy some time to learn the offense to be fair.

I'm tired of the "Polisn's ego" stuff. You don't get to be considered "one of the best GMs in the league" if your ego (emotions) gets ahead of your brains.

Its just foolish to think that.

And PS, WE (the fans) don't know as much as WE think we do.

Orlovsky is better than Painter he showed that in the preseason he moved the offense and made faster and better decissions than Painter and Painter has been in this system for three years now. Painter hit on 2 passes that was it he also bounced that many balls to recievers. they should have cut Painter and kept Orlovsky to begin with. If Collins doesnt start than I would rather see Orlovsky start. Curtis,s first year he was alright as a backup but ever since then hes just another Jim Sorgi can carry a clipboard but thats about it. Im sure if Painter put the work instudying and throwing he could get back to alright but hes got to want to.

I thought this was just a typical anti-Painter rant until you got to the part about "Curtis,s first year he was alright as a backup but ever since then hes just another Jim Sorgi can carry a clipboard but thats about it."

What are you talking about?

By the way Painter did a little more than "hit on two passes". He was 0-3 to start, and 0-1 to finish, but in between he was 5-7 for 60 yards while driving the Colts 80 yards for a game tying TD with minutes left against the defending AFC champs (with one of the best defenses in football).

What game were you watching? That was FAR and away the best regular season drive by someone not named Manning since 1997. Actually considering how bad the team was that year you might have to go back further than that.

I've not been able to find out who was cut?

Have to believe the Colts have not released that news yet.

Does it make any sense to keep Manning on the roster any longer?

If Manning is put on IR, can he still "practice" with the team (as a coach) or can he still be in the booth or sidelines to help during games?

If not, maybe the team wants to keep him involved. "Intellectual property" as Caldwell put it.

Painter was kept and dan released because the team knows what they have with Painter. Dan is more of a question mark.

Collins just got here. You gotta give the guy some time to learn the offense to be fair.

I'm tired of the "Polisn's ego" stuff. You don't get to be considered "one of the best GMs in the league" if your ego (emotions) gets ahead of your brains.

The Indy Star has an article on the Orlovsky signing.

At end if the article... Click on the "comments" posted by the fans.

At this point there are 147 Comments and many seem to have the same opinion as me.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110927/SPORTS03/109270379/Colts-re-sign-preseason-QB-Dan-Orlovsky-work-out-ex-Chiefs-QB

The Steelers (during the regular season) aren't always the cream of the crop.

But when the weather gets bad, their defense can shut down opponents which doesn't require a whole lot from Ben and the offense.

Pittsburgh's best games seem to come in December. Unfortunately, I know the steeler's MO. (not by choice but by my location)

At this point there are 147 Comments and many seem to have the same opinion as me.

http://www.indystar....ut-ex-Chiefs-QB

The Indy Star forum seems to be largely populated by sadistic 12 year olds with ADD (and some Patriot fans). I try not too read those comments anymore for my health.

Ever read what they say to Kravitz? I'm surprised he hasn't taken out a restraining order - or moved.

And PS, WE (the fans) don't know as much as WE think we do.

It's just foolish to think that Bill Polian does not have a big ego.

The Indy Star forum seems to be largely populated by sadistic 12 year olds with ADD (and some Patriot fans). I try not too read those comments anymore for my health.

Ever read what they say to Kravitz? I'm surprised he hasn't taken out a restraining order - or moved.

Perhaps, but many of these 147 comments on Orlovsky/Painter are very well thought out.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110927/SPORTS03/109270379/Colts-re-sign-preseason-QB-Dan-Orlovsky-work-out-ex-Chiefs-QB

Like these:

"Yikes."

"This is the funniest situation i have ever seen in the NFL. What a pathetic organization!!!!"

"Nothing like bringing some proven winners....oh wait, combined 0-17 as started between the 2 of them. Should fit in nicely with this squad."

And that is just the first three. You don't really read the comments, do you? Might as well read tabloids too. Just rants and raves.

Yea, they REALLY sound like Indy fans. :sarcasm:

Like I said, WE don't know as much as WE think we do.

Heres one comment I do agree with.

FiveBanners

4:26 PM on September 27, 2011

"you * do realize they aren't trying to bring in a replacement for Painter"

They should be. Orlovsky would be better.

I"m sick of people thinking painter might suddenly be decent because he completed 2 decent passes on one drive.

He also blew a sure TD pass that 99.9% of nfl backups would make. Then he fumbled and gave away another TD. Then on one drives he completes a couple passes. Same old, same old. I guarantee Orlovsky wouldn't have overthrown the wide open Garcon on that play. Painters crappy play lost that game, although yeah...he completed two nice medium ranged passes to Garcon on another drive. Whoopadedoo

Come on, of course he has an ego. Its obvious.

But to stretch that to say all his decisions are based on that ego are crazy.

If so, he would have never had the success he did.

We as fans don't know the "whole story" as to why these decisions are made. We just speculate.

It would be VERY difficult to replace Polian with equal quality at the GM position.

We are SO used to success on this team that now we don't know how to handle what is happening so we are jumping to conclusions without REALLY knowing the details.

I don't have a problem with your opinion, I just don't see it that way.

Of course he does, but it's illogical to assume that it is the prime motivating force behind his personnel decisions. The real reason that he irritates people is because he "doesn't suffer fools gladly". He makes people feel like they are two feet tall so they resent him, but he does so why exclusively acting in the best interests of the team. You don't become one of the most successful executives in the history of the sport by worrying about what people think of you.

In other words what feeds his ego is winning football games, not winning popularity contests. You underestimate the man.

You realize, don't you, that he is an absolute lock to make the hall of fame? Who would you rather have, Jim Irsay? Even Jim Irsay didn't want Jim Irsay as GM - he went out and found the best available executive and we all should be grateful to have him.

FiveBanners

I"m sick of people thinking painter might suddenly be decent because he completed 2 decent passes on one drive.

He also blew a sure TD pass that 99.9% of nfl backups would make. Then he fumbled and gave away another TD. Then on one drives he completes a couple passes. Same old, same old. I guarantee Orlovsky wouldn't have overthrown the wide open Garcon on that play. Painters crappy play lost that game, although yeah...he completed two nice medium ranged passes to Garcon on another drive. Whoopadedoo

Now go and find my response above to a virtually identical comment to the one you are referencing. Come on man, what game were you watching?

Not yet?

Why would he replace Painter, he doesn't know the system as well as him, Painter looked better in the preseason, and Orlovsky was signed to backup, not start.

I mean first the whole perfect season thing.

And now, one player goes down, and we go from possible Super Bowl contenders...

To possible 0-16?

Why would he replace Painter, he doesn't know the system as well as him, Painter looked better in the preseason, and Orlovsky was signed to backup, not start.

Why would they replace Painter?

Well, how's if Painter stinks the house out Monday night?

Did you see those nose-down underthrows vs Pitt?

FiveBanners

I agree Painter isn't the answer. I'm not sure an adequate replacement is even available. And do we really want to spend more money on a temporary fix anyway that most likely won't get us in the playoffs anyway?.

Who is available? Garrard, Palmer(Bengals won't let him play), george? ANY QB we bring in will need time to adjust. The season will be out of reach by then anyway.

Like it or not, Painter is really our only logical option. Orlovsky at least has some experience with this offense. If Collins gets better, he and Painter can "slug it out" for the job. I'm just not convinced there is a better option available. This really should have been done months ago but evidently the team thought Peyton would only be out for a short time. Now that we know different, i feel it might be too late to fix for this year. When Collins was brought in, there was more hope that Manning might be back this year.

Things are entirely different now.

One could also say it's just as foolish to think the Colts would be going to such great lengths to cover up a benching of a QB if that was the case.

With this years disaster. Polians legacy is starting to look a bit ify.

You don't REALLY believe that, do you?

Its obvious you just don't like the guy, which is ok. But you are seriously letting it cloud your judgement.

One could say your "ego" is getting in the way, actually.

I mean first the whole perfect season thing.

And now, one player goes down, and we go from possible Super Bowl contenders...

To possible 0-16?

I have news for you.

After seeing this team sans-Manning, I'm not so sure we were a Super Bowl contender even with manning.

FiveBanners

To Mr. FiveBanners:

Guess what? Painter MIGHT suddenly be decent.

PM has overthrown a few open receivers over the past couple of years (possibly due to his neck situation).

Painter has yet to throw 6 INTs in one game. Yes, it's still early, but he hasn't done it yet.

I don't see anyone sayin' Painter IS going to get us to the playoffs.

People simply see he was more productive than Collins has been to this point, and it was a little inspiring.

Offers a bit of hope, at least this week.

After Monday's game we can re-address our opinions.