Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Re-Sign Qb Dan Orlovsky

1959Colts

I liked Painter when he was at Purdue and I would like to see if he can take over for Manning as the starter. If not then we should draft another franchise QB. Manning should not come back, not with a neck nerve injury.

Remember Sterling Sharpe?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Those stats mean nothing.

I base my opinion on what I have seen on the field.

While Orlovsky has not been great, I think hes better than Painter.

We shall see. My prediction is that after Monday nights game, the fans will all be calling for Dan.

I am not trying to blow my own horn.

But back in Sept. I started this thread, only to be ridiculed to no end.

Well now I think its safe to say, I was correct that Orlovsky is better than Painter.

And I feel I have been redeemed.

Talk about a necro thread

Well now I think its safe to say, I was correct that Orlovsky is better than Painter.

Love it when people say something like that or similar to it, because it's a nice way of saying you're bragging..It's one game, not 4-5. For all we know, Orlovsky will get clobbered next week against the ravens d (which doesn't have the worst pass D in the league unlike the pats). Necro threads for the win :D

My opinion is...

Dan Orlovsky is the best of the three QBs.

In my opinion, Orlovsky gave us the best chance to win this season.

Going all season with Painter was clearly another miss by Polian and by the Colts coaching staff.

A huge blunder in failing to correctly grade the abilities within our own personel

Talk about a necro thread

Love it when people say something like that or similar to it, because it's a nice way of saying you're bragging..It's one game, not 4-5. For all we know, Orlovsky will get clobbered next week against the ravens d (which doesn't have the worst pass D in the league unlike the pats). Necro threads for the win :D

Im not bragging.

I just didnt appreciate the way I took so much abuse after I started this thread expressing my opinion.

I was basically called a fool for preferring Orlovsky over Curtis Painter.

In hindsight I feel we may have won a few games had Orlovsky been starting from the beginning. Perhaps we still may?

Not the nonsense with Polian's ego again! Painter was kept because he has significantly more upside than Orlovsky. He is playing better with each brief opportunity. Orlovsky had an entire year as an NFL starter and all that's gotten him is a seat at home waiting for the Colts to call.

Orlovsky didn't remotely outperform Painter in the pre-season. He played in the second half against the scrubs scrubs and barely moved the ball. At no point has Orlovsky ever been above Painter on the depth charts, and I doubt that he ever will be baring injury. The fact that you desire this says more about you than about either QB.

Told you so.

Um.... no.. One game against the worst pass defense in the NFL does not mean he is better than anyone.

Orlovsky was released, and Painter retained, due more to Bill Polians big ego than anything else.

Painter is a Polian draft choice.

The preseason games showed Orlovsky outplayed Painter.

As I recall most of the posters on this board were disappointed in Dan's release and that they chose to keep Painter in his place.

During Detroits winless season, Orlovsky had a very good game against Indy.

Just looks to have more natural QB awareness than Painter to me.

We are all entitled to our opinions, and mine is "Dan will be The Man"

You did say it Mr. 59 :foam:

Told you so.

I was certainly pleasantly surprised by Orlovsky's play. I was neither pleased nor surprised by your post. Incredibly in-mature, particularly for an older fan. You must be busting with pride.

More usefully I will say that what primarily impressed me about Orlovsky was his making smart decisions to keep the chains moving. He is clearly more stable mentally than Painter, was less bothered by the rush, took what the defense gave him, and was accurate. Most of it was pitch and catch, but he did make two really nice passes near the end of the game that I wouldn't have thought him capable of.

The total statistics are pretty meaningless unfortunately, because the game was over shortly after half-time. As I said, the long-early drive was very impressive. The endless three and outs, the sacks and the interception that surrounded it were more typical of the Colts offense this year. The three scores in garbage time were gratifying, but not predictive of much. The problem was that the only way the Colts were going to win at that point, was to push aggressively to score quickly. If they had tried, the result would have more likely been more three and outs or turnovers, and a much bigger loss. So you could make the argument that they were playing keep the score close, not to win, which was simultaneously gratifying and frustrating to watch. Gratifying because they got some stuff done on offense instead of embarrassing themselves. Frustrating because "trying to win" is kind of the point of the game.

I was certainly pleasantly surprised by Orlovsky's play. I was neither pleased nor surprised by your post. Incredibly in-mature, particularly for an older fan. You must be busting with pride.

More usefully I will say that what primarily impressed me about Orlovsky was his making smart decisions to keep the chains moving. He is clearly more stable mentally than Painter, was less bothered by the rush, took what the defense gave him, and was accurate. Most of it was pitch and catch, but he did make two really nice passes near the end of the game that I wouldn't have thought him capable of.

The total statistics are pretty meaningless unfortunately, because the game was over shortly after half-time. As I said, the long-early drive was very impressive. The endless three and outs, the sacks and the interception that surrounded it were more typical of the Colts offense this year. The three scores in garbage time were gratifying, but not predictive of much. The problem was that the only way the Colts were going to win at that point, was to push aggressively to score quickly. If they had tried, the result would have more likely been more three and outs or turnovers, and a much bigger loss. So you could make the argument that they were playing keep the score close, not to win, which was simultaneously gratifying and frustrating to watch. Gratifying because they got some stuff done on offense instead of embarrassing themselves. Frustrating because "trying to win" is kind of the point of the game.

So you flame the guy way back then (make him out to be stupid), and now when he sort of defends his stance, you call him immature (sorry, in-mature)? Don't quite get that.

For what it's worth, one game does not make Dan any better than Curtis. I'll reserve my judgement until Week 17....

So you flame the guy way back then (make him out to be stupid), and now when he sort of defends his stance, you call him immature (sorry, in-mature)? Don't quite get that.

For what it's worth, one game does not make Dan any better than Curtis. I'll reserve my judgement until Week 17....

I disagree that I "flamed the guy" or made "him out to be stupid". His was a "everything that the Colts do is because of Polians ego" post, which as you well know from personal experience I have little patience for. It's just bizarre to believe that an entire organization's decisions are based on a non-owners ego-problems. You could make the claim about the Raiders or the Cowboys, because their owners have loudly and publicly humiliated their subordinates on a regular basis to impose contrary and self-serving viewpoints. I've never seen a shred of evidence of that with the Colts, but there is a large contingent of fans and media fixated on the concept to to exclusion of all other possible options. It's tiresome.

However his opinions about Orlovsky are no or more less valid than mine, so I'm hardly in a position to make him look stupid. In fact I just went out of my way to say positive things about Orlovsky in my reply that you are responding to. It's called being fair and honest, and admitting when you are wrong - which I did despite the inane "I told you so" mantra. Something that posters are normally castigated for unmercifully on this site.

I agree that one game means little - particularly with so much of the offense being in garbage time. Painter also has had his moments - including against better defenses with the game still on the line. I still like Painters upside, but if he can't get his head under control than he is useless. It sounds like the Colts may be tired of waiting, and I can't say that I blame them. At least Orlovsky was consistent and accurate, which is a lot less painful to watch.

From time to time I like to stir the pot on this board.

Some here think we have to all agree 100% with their views or we are just ignorant.

So now my personality and my integrity is insulted because I say "I told you so" that Orlovsky is better than Painter.

But thats ok. I knew I was asking for trouble when I typed it, and I guess I was just trying to be funny.

I think we are all entitled to our own opinions and I feel its ok to argue our causes. Maybe its even good to argue?

But I wont insult someone else's intelligence, just because they have a different opinion than mine.

I think I have a pretty good understanding of this team and am not afraid to express myself, regardless of the "mob rules"

Anyways, Back to football...

What annoys me most, is that Polian in his stubbornness, elected to play Painter (over Orlovsky) after the bye week. When most of the fans (and even the media) were all hoping to see Orlovsky.

Bad enough they didnt give Orlovsky a chance earlier in the year, but why go back to Painter over the bye? With Carolina up next at home, a team we should be able to beat with a decent QB.

I am sorry, but in my opinion, this team is doomed unless Polian is fired.

Orlovsky has played ONE good quarter this year and it happened to be yesterday during garbage time. Did you forget that Orlovsky also played the first 3 quarters and we were losing 31-3!

I need to see a little more from him before I can even say he is better than Painter. He still hasn't ever won a game. It's basically a situation where we had nothing to lose by making the switch.

Orlovsky has played ONE good quarter this year and it happened to be yesterday during garbage time. Did you forget that Orlovsky also played the first 3 quarters and we were losing 31-3!

I need to see a little more from him before I can even say he is better than Painter. He still hasn't ever won a game. It's basically a situation where we had nothing to lose by making the switch.

I'd give him credit for two, he played pretty well in the first quarter as well.

Like I said it's one game. Painter looked pretty good his first three weeks and then teams got tape on him and figure out how to attack him. Let's see what happenes when people get tape on Orlovsky in our system. With that said, it's hard not to be impressed with him after yesterday. I think it's important to remember that like you said he came to life after we were down 31-3 against the team that was ranked 32nd in the league in giving up yards. I also think the Pats pulled the starters a little too soon yesterday (Hoyer was in at QB right before our last drive) and the Pats might have gone to sleep a little too early yesterday and it nearly bite them. With that said again I think it's pretty clear Orlovsky has earned the right to start next week.

Sure the Pats defense stinks. But Orlovsky wasnt allowed to pass the ball until the game was out of hand.

Our gameplan was to run the ball straight up the middle into big fat Vince Wilfork for three quarters?

Uncle Bill's latest blueprint for our team is that, now we will become...

The 2011 version of the "Ground Chuck" Knox Rams.

He told Christensen... "Throw the Peyton Manning playbook away"

Run it! Run it! Run it! Featuring Donald Brown!

Sure the Pats defense stinks. But Orlovsky wasnt allowed to pass the ball until the game was out of hand.

Our gameplan was to run the ball straight up the middle into big fat Vince Wilfork for three quarters?

Uncle Bill's latest blueprint for our team is that, now we will become...

The 2011 version of the "Ground Chuck" Knox Rams.

He told Christensen... "Throw the Peyton Manning playbook away"

Run it! Run it! Run it! Featuring Donald Brown!

Do you want a fork for your words or are you just gonna eat them with a spoon?