Do we need another RB

Greenoughrunner

76 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think we need to get another RB

• Yes, First or Third Round
    • Yes, but a late round
    • Yes, but after draft lets go FA
    • No, we are set with what we have now

I fell like we should go for a speed RB in the draft this year. If there isnt the right player there for us at 24 and Lacy is i say we go then (not going to happen probaly) but i think we need to grab one in the 3rd. I dont hate brown but he hasnt been productive and this is his last year. Im also a big supportor of Ballard but hes more of a power back IMO. We need one thats fast for our new Hybrid offence. Thoughts?

The RBC has devalued the RB position considerably. If a power runner is available in round 4 or later, he might be just as effective as a round 1 pick in the modern NFL unless your RB has out of the world playmaking ability like an explosive Trent Richardson or Adrian Peterson.

I just don't see those guys in this draft. If, in round 3, a round 2 back drops there and offers good value, by all means. But I do think we will get a good RB that will mesh in later rounds, albeit for limited downs.

I think we should go runningback, but I don't think speed should be the only qualifying factor. I really like Eddie Lacy and what he did for Alabama this year. He is a versatile and dynamic back. He had his two best games when it mattered most, in the SEC and National Championships. He runs hard between the tackles, can make guys miss in the hole, he can get the edge, and he has an awesome spin move. I like the one-two punch of him and Ballard a lot, with Donald Brown as a third down back.

I think we should go runningback, but I don't think speed should be the only qualifying factor. I really like Eddie Lacy and what he did for Alabama this year. He is a versatile and dynamic back. He had his two best games when it mattered most, in the SEC and National Championships. He runs hard between the tackles, can make guys miss in the hole, he can get the edge, and he has an awesome spin move. I like the one-two punch of him and Ballard a lot, with Donald Brown as a third down back.

Donald is not a 3rd down back. He's not any down. Ballard and carter are a better example

Do i seem to be the only one thinking we should grab stephen taylor round three if hes available. He just got done with pep at stanford, he knows the offense, and he has familiarity with luck&fleener

how about we try to stay away from bringing in all of these ex stanford guys. might as well trade our first pick and move into the second and draft ertz also, 4th round draft OLB chase thomas. and then we could be called the Indianapolis Cardinal. 

Ballard has shown that he can be a productive back, behind a bad O-line. I have no doubt that he can be better this season. He has shown that he can gain chunk yards, but does not have the ability to score everytime he touches the ball. If we do draft a runningback, I think that it should be someone with "homerun" capability. Donald Brown was supposed to be that guy, but he hasn't panned out. I'd like someone who is a threat to score everytime he gets the ball. Think of someone like CJ Spiller-- I'm just not sure that guy exists in this draft.

how about we try to stay away from bringing in all of these ex stanford guys. might as well trade our first pick and move into the second and draft ertz also, 4th round draft OLB chase thomas. and then we could be called the Indianapolis Cardinal.

not a bad idea actually considering there is another forum about grabing a te and we could add depth at olb, but we can keep our name to the Colts ( obviously i know your being sarcastic)

I voted no.  The Colts dont NEED any more running backs.

That said, if the right value falls to the Colts, I dont mind the idea of adding another for competition and depth.  As long as the bigger needs are met, I'd even be OK with it happening early on day 3.

Ballard has shown that he can be a productive back, behind a bad O-line. I have no doubt that he can be better this season. He has shown that he can gain chunk yards, but does not have the ability to score everytime he touches the ball. If we do draft a runningback, I think that it should be someone with "homerun" capability. Donald Brown was supposed to be that guy, but he hasn't panned out. I'd like someone who is a threat to score everytime he gets the ball. Think of someone like CJ Spiller-- I'm just not sure that guy exists in this draft.

So Ballard gets a pass due to the bad o-line, but Brown is cast aside like a liquored up kicker?

I'd rather draft a back-up for Blue, than a RB this year. As an earlier poster said, we should give our current RB group a chance with a (hopefully) better line. 

I would love it. It would be a gamble but he was highly touted before his injuries.

I think it's more of a low risk-high reward type of selections. He's ahead of schedule on his rehab, and even if he returns to be half the back he used to be... Watch out. 

So Ballard gets a pass due to the bad o-line, but Brown is cast aside like a liquored up kicker?

I'd rather draft a back-up for Blue, than a RB this year. As an earlier poster said, we should give our current RB group a chance with a (hopefully) better line. 

I have been a supporter of Brown for many years and have always found myself coming up with ways to explain his lack of solid performance-- having to play behind Addai, injuries, and bad O-line. I've just realized that if he were a "special" back, I wouldn't have to make excuses for him.

I have no excuses for Ballard because none is needed. He played great and was reliable behind the same O-line.

I'm not advocating for drafting a RB and don't think it's a need, but if we do draft one, I don't want a short yardage guy. We have that with Ballard and Carter. I want a home run threat.

I have been a supporter of Brown for many years and have always found myself coming up with ways to explain his lack of solid performance-- having to play behind Addai, injuries, and bad O-line. I've just realized that if he were a "special" back, I wouldn't have to make excuses for him.

I have no excuses for Ballard because none is needed. He played great and was reliable behind the same O-line.

I'm not advocating for drafting a RB and don't think it's a need, but if we do draft one, I don't want a short yardage guy. We have that with Ballard and Carter. I want a home run threat.

Yep, fair points Flash, I just think Brown has shown enough 'promise'. But he needs to deliver 'big style' this season or he is Joe Le Toff.....

Oh good Lord...   Brown's only fault is shaky health.    When he is in the game he produces.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/ind/indianapolis-colts

Did you watch the GB game?    

What stands out about Ballard's stats above Browns?    I can tell you...  Ballard is a "hit the hole" back and Brown is "let it develop" type.     Oh, and Ballard "stayed healthy" ... 

They both will excel this season.    

I'm divided on this one.

I like the idea of Lacy, but a) will he be there? and b) is another O-lineman more important and we get an RB next year?

Your answer to question B is simply this:

EVERYTHING starts up front

So, B would be the better question, solution, need, whatever you wanna call it

I don't want Eddie Lacy because I feel he'll quit on us. He's so use to being untouched until basically the second level of the defense sometimes even the third. I feel like if he ran behind our oline and felt what Ballard & Brown have been through, he'd give up. Like how Tom Brady slowly gives up when he plays the Ravens and they constantly are hitting him

Oh good Lord...   Brown's only fault is shaky health.    When he is in the game he produces.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/ind/indianapolis-colts

Did you watch the GB game?    

What stands out about Ballard's stats above Browns?    I can tell you...  Ballard is a "hit the hole" back and Brown is "let it develop" type.     Oh, and Ballard "stayed healthy" ... 

They both will excel this season.    

Again, I like Brown and have always defended him. I can't any longer, but I'm hopeful that he has a GREAT season.

Collie's only fault is his health and I loved watching Collie play for the Colts. Bob Sanders too, but they're only valuable when they play.

Again, I like Brown and have always defended him. I can't any longer, but I'm hopeful that he has a GREAT season.

Collie's only fault is his health and I loved watching Collie play for the Colts. Bob Sanders too, but they're only valuable when they play.

He's started 50 / 64 games, hardly Bob Sanders territory for goodness sake. Behind that line, that's Man of Steel stuff.

If say Marcus Lattimore is sitting there in the 4th or 5th round I would be fine with taking a risk on him.  He does have that injury, but if he comes back at the level he was then you have your RB for years to come.  

I really do not see the talent at the top of the draft to say they will be BPA when we select. I think with the improvement along the offensive line we will see a much improved Ballard and Brown next season.