Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should Painter Start?

CollieFangirl

Should Curtis Painter start next week?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Who Should Our Starter Be Next Week?

• Kerry Collins
    • Curtis Painter
    • Dan Orlovsky

you do know it was his first pass with the actual starters and without reps and practice i kinda expected it. but if hes starting next weekend and give him all the reps and practice i think he will be good. that TD drive he led was very manning like and i think it caught the steelers D off guard.

He's worked with the starters in the pre-season against other teams starters so no it wasn't his first reps with the real starters. Had Collins missed that throw we would have been all over him, Painter should be held to the same standard. It was a huge miss and frankly might have cost us the game tonight. With that said he came back and lead a huge TD drive which is frankly more than Collins has been able to do to this point but that last drive had as much to do with Addai's strong running as it did Painter although Painter did have some very tmely throws on it. It was still one drive out of what three? With that said it's still more than Collins is giving us at this point and time.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^ good point

how come no one is criticizing Painter's fumble? If he does this every game we will lose those games

It was a dumb rookie mistake. Trust me I went nuts when I was watching the game. But in Painter's defense it was the first time Painter has been thrown in a meaningful game in non-garbage time during the regular season. He was clearly shaken up. However after the fumble he composed himself and put together a nice touchdown drive. Also the touchdown nulified the fumble, mainly because if Collins was still in the game we would have done nothing on offense and just given the ball back to the Steelers. I think after this game it is clear we need to start Painter. He will throw more interceptions and have more stupid fumbles, but he could also get better and help this team win games. We know where Collins stands, and judging by the look of his passes and slow delivery, I don't see things getting much better.

speaking of Orlovsky, he played lights out in that final preseason game, and he lost the starting job to these two?

He did it against the Bengals third and fourth stringers, who you do it against does matter. We had just brought Collins in we weren't going to cut him and Painter was coming off a good game against the Packers starters plus knows the system better than any other QB on the roster not named Peyton Manning. Orvlosky also did little else to impress in the previous three pre-season games.

^ good point

how come no one is criticizing Painter's fumble? If he does this every game we will lose those games

Fair to be harsh on it but you know what I put that more on who ever drew up the blocking asignments and thought it was a good idea to leave Troy P unblocked, we did it three more times on the TD drive and it nearly cost us then too. Not many QB were going to hang on to the ball on that kinda hit. Also it's not like Collins hasn't been fumbling a lot too. Painter has a one a game average that's down from Collins like two (although he didn't fumble tonight). Either way you raise a good point the Colts QBs have to hang on to the ball.

^ good point

How come no one who's mentioning his fumble mentioned how he composed himself and drove the team down the field 80 yards for the first meaningful TD of the year? All QB's make mistakes, especially when, as GoColts8818 pointed out, Polamalu is left unblocked. The true test of a QB, or any player for that matter, is how they react after they make a mistake.

How come no one who's mentioning his fumble mentioned how he composed himself and drove the team down the field 80 yards for the first meaningful TD of the year? All QB's make mistakes, especially when, as GoColts8818 pointed out, Polamalu is left unblocked. The true test of a QB, or any player for that matter, is how they react after they make a mistake.

and he clearly adjusted, I couldn't believe we left him unblocked three more times when he lined up in the exact same spot! Yet Painter didn't fumble the rest of the game (although the TD play was close). That goes on the coaches. You have to see that and make some kinda adjustment. If Polamalu gets free from another spot and gets to Painter fine but it is unexcusable he came free four times from the exact same poistion after the first one caused a strip fumble for a TD.

and he clearly adjusted, I couldn't believe we left him unblocked three more times when he lined up in the exact same spot! Yet Painter didn't fumble the rest of the game (although the TD play was close). That goes on the coaches. You have to see that and make some kinda adjustment. If Polamalu gets free from another spot and gets to Painter fine but it is unexcusable he came free four times from the exact same poistion after the first one caused a strip fumble for a TD.

Add to that the number of times Clark was left 1 on 1 early on with James Harrison....and Clark 1 on 1 with Mario Williams in week 1 (granted possibly due more to missed block from Link but no absolute proof of that) and I'm really starting to question whoever is responsible for the protection schemes. I was also not impressed with the defensive playcalling...don't get me wrong, the Colts D played a great game overall but still way too much use of Tampa 2 imo....more on that later though (I'll be creating a new thread in the near future to compare tampa 2's results from this week) :)

Add to that the number of times Clark was left 1 on 1 early on with James Harrison....and Clark 1 on 1 with Mario Williams in week 1 (granted possibly due more to missed block from Link but no absolute proof of that) and I'm really starting to question whoever is responsible for the protection schemes. I was also not impressed with the defensive playcalling...don't get me wrong, the Colts D played a great game overall but still way too much use of Tampa 2 imo....more on that later though (I'll be creating a new thread in the near future to compare tampa 2's results from this week) :)

too much use of tampa 2? what do you expect from Caldwell and the Dungy system?

You don't want Tampa 2? get a new coach

Ugh you had to remind me of that...

I thought Mario Williams abusing Clark would have maybe told Pete Metzelaars that having Clark try to block the other teams best pass rusher was not a good idea. I guess that is what you get for having a former tightend coach the o-line though. With that said other than two plays Harrison was almost a none factor.

In fairness you saw a lot more press corners out of the Colts tonight and a lot more blitzing than you normally do. The Colts are adjusting the defense some. With that said though they are getting killed on third down because teams have found the hole in the cover two and are attacking it like crazy with Brackett being out and that is over the Middle linebacker and in front of the safety. Hopefully when Brackett comes back that will change some. I love Angerer and what he is giving us in terms of slowing down the run but I really miss Brackett's pass defense.

too much use of tampa 2? what do you expect from Caldwell and the Dungy system?

You don't want Tampa 2? get a new coach

Wayul shucks Jimbo..why didn't I thank of that? :loco:

Ugh you had to remind me of that...

I thought Mario Williams abusing Clark would have maybe told Pete Metzelaars that having Clark try to block the other teams best pass rusher was not a good idea. I guess that is what you get for having a former tightend coach the o-line though. With that said other than two plays Harrison was almost a none factor.

In fairness you saw a lot more press corners out of the Colts tonight and a lot more blitzing than you normally do. The Colts are adjusting the defense some. With that said though they are getting killed on third down because teams have found the hole in the cover two and are attacking it like crazy with Brackett being out and that is over the Middle linebacker and in front of the safety. Hopefully when Brackett comes back that will change some. I love Angerer and what he is giving us in terms of slowing down the run but I really miss Brackett's pass defense.

If they simply ran more of a nickel package instead of the tampa 2 on obvious passing downs then that should help too...I agree that Bracket is the best cover LB but using a MLB in general in deep zone against faster WRs is still going to put the defense at a disadvantage.

If he doesn't start then Irsay needs to step in and clean house. Starting Collins over Painter means we aren't starting the best QB available to our team. Painter gives us the best chance to win. If the coaches haven't seen that over the first few games, or Polian is calling the shots, then somebody needs to burn for it. If Painter doesn't start I will personally let Irsay know how I feel on Twitter. As a 17 year Colt fan who never misses a game and always represents his team, I deserve to see the QB on the field that gives us the best chance to win. We all do.

Start Painter! Our best receiver over the past decade was right! Whoever deemed Collins the starter with no timing with the receivers and no experience in the offense was wrong! Dead wrong!

Collins is 38 and is on the decline! He offers nothing to our team. He can't put the ball in the end zone and we will be a win less team with him starting. I give him credit for trying his best, but the guy retired for a reason. He's the worst starting QB in the league at this point and it isn't even his fault anymore. Father time has caught up with him. He has more fumbles than any other player ever. Hand the torch to Painter and Collins earns his check mentoring.

If Painter doesn't start and Collins gives us what he did through the first 3 games, it will be clear we aren't playing to win.

Start Painter! The end!

WOW! Lopsided poll much?

So far 51 for Painter, 4 against.

Might as well have asked if ice cream is good in August.

It couldn't be more clear to any dedicated fan who has half a brain for football knowledge to figure out Painter gives us the best chance to win. Let's just hope the coaching staff/front office can figure that out. If not I will truly join the dark side. It will prove to me we aren't playing to win. Why root for a team I dedicated 17 years of my life to just to be slapped in the face? Why so Polian can keep his pride? So Collins can lead us to 0-4?

Painter or bust! And if you knew how dedicated of a fan I was you would be surprised! Bad mouthing the Colts around me is the quickest known way to initiate a fist fight. LOL.

But I will refuse to support a philosophy that doesn't even put the best player on the field. We have never even see Painter play a real game with the starters until today. He stepped up with a 4th quarter game tying drive. We have seen Collins can't win games here. By the time he picks up the offense, we will have already been eliminated from the playoffs.

Painter or pitchforks and torches for all!

Hidden

Once it was determined that Peyton would not be able to play this season, why did the organization not immediately sign a healthy veteran like Jim Sorgi whom remains on the Free Agent Wire? He is the only backup in the past fifteen or so years whom has actually played and had success when called upon by our team. We of course placed him on IR in 2009 and he was waived IR from the Giants. However, he is healthly now and acutally knows our system.

Once it was determined that Peyton would not be able to play this season, why did the organization not immediately sign a healthy veteran like Jim Sorgi whom remains on the Free Agent Wire? He is the only backup in the past fifteen or so years whom has actually played and had success when called upon by our team. We of course placed him on IR in 2009 and he was waived IR from the Giants. However, he is healthly now and acutally knows our system.

If you think Sorgi could do better than Painter...Nevermind...I'll just shake my head and move along.

Never, and I mean never did I ever think I would type these words and actually mean them. Not after the last 3 years of preseason, seeing him demolished by the Jets, giving him a nickname that cannot be mentioned on this site....sigh, double sigh, and sigh again.....

Start Painter, he gives us the best chance to win.

Forgive me Manning, for I have no other Choice!!!!!

Kerry Collins should never have been signed to begin with. I felt like it was a MAJOR slap in the face to Painter when they signed him. I mean, did they expect us to make some kind of miracle SB run with a washed up has been as QB?? Painter is our guy, whether he leads a great drive or throws for 5 INTs. We may lose a lot of games, but we HAVE to let him play and develop. However, I strongly believe that we could have beaten Cleveland and Pittsburgh had Painter started. He did more in one drive than Collins has done all season.

Collins, if anything, should be Painter's backup.

I am a new convert. I supported Collins but I cannot continue to allow my conventional wisdom to back the hack. That snails-pace throwing motion seemed to betray any sense of timing.

Collins is like an old gun with no rounds left.

Painter is a new gun that no one has bothered to straighten the iron sights on.

(Manning being the laser-rocket of course)

Get them sights straightened out and lets roll forward with the kid.

Such a shame we lost. 0-3 means we aren't making the playoffs unless we buck historical probability.

I feel like we won tonight. Never felt this way after a loss.

Thank you Colts defense for giving us, the fans, a reason to watch, cheer and shut up the doom-n-gloom false prophets.

It is so good to see you and John Waylon join the Painter fanwaggon! It almost brings tears to my eyes <3

I was looking for them to sign Kerry Collins believing that he would be a solid starter. I thought he would hand the ball off and throw short quick passes.

Handing off the ball is not the problem but he holds the ball way too long and when the offense has done well it has been when he got the ball out of there quickly. Short passes- more offense. After two and a half games I have seen what Kerry is capable of doing and now I believe, concussion or no concussion, it's time to give Painter control of the offense. He looked good at times last night. He had control of his team and he was trying to do what he has watched Peyton do for years, read the defense.

The only big problem I saw with him (other than a sack fumble td) was that he didn't seem to have the confidence or step into some of his throws. But he looked impressive in the way he was running the offense.

I know everyone hates Kerry but I still feel like it was the right move to bring in a vet who might be able to manage the game. But hindsight is 20/20.

Also on a side note....... No one wants 18 back on the field more than I do ASAP, but imagine him coming back if the Colts thought it was worth it. Week 16 against the Texans at home and him taking a shot to the back like from Mario Williams (watch the sack fumble last night)....... I don't want to see if his neck can take that kind of hit at that stage. Part of me says IR now and move on. But there is always that hope that he will be back this year.

It's funny that one TD drive has so many people thinking Painter should be starting. Painter led one nice drive -- which is probably one more then Collins has so far -- but he also missed Garcon for an easy TD and his sack/fumble gave Pitt another 7 pts.

The decision will likely be made now that Collins has been injuted and honestly, I don't have any issue with Painter starting -- I still say he stinks -- but they have no where to go but up at this point.

It's just funny to see some people thinking that with Painter playing the Colts may go 8-5 / 9-4 over the balance of the season and sneak into the playoffs. This team isn't putting together that record with either Collins or Painter under center and playoff talk is nothing but crazy at this point. They have a better chance at being 5-8 over their last 13 games then they do being 8-5.

Start Painter and answer the question if is he worthy of being a backup on this team. If not, cut him after the season. We can't rely on Peyton to take every snap like he did in the past. Colt front office really dropped the ball not having a quality backup. This team is made to throw the ball and that makes the other qb's more important.

I agree, I think Curtis Painter looked a lot more poised and confident. He also knows the system better than Collins, let the guy play. By the way T.Polamalu was all over the dayum field, I'm not sure why the colts didn't check coverages and see where T.P was at.

I was actually impressed with what Curtis did last night after getting a little time on the field. Give the guy credit for not being a basket case. For 3 years he never gets to practice with the first team. His first on field experience is against one of the best "D" in the NFL when that team is fighting for a playoff spot and we have decided to pass on a chance at history. Things go bad and the fans trash him from the stands, in the paper, on the radio and yes on this forum. Then when Peyton goes down the management shows how much they think of him by going out and wasting $4M dollars on a washed up veteran with no knowledge of a very complex offense rather than give the ball to your 3 year backup. If I was Curtis my confidence last night would have been somewhere around less than zero. So he came in looked shaky the first two series (I don't blame the fumble on him, you got to protect your QB from the blindside and Castanzo didn't and manned up and excepted responsibility for his mistake), but after completing his first pass he settled down and looked pretty good. 5 of 7 for 60 yards on a 80 yard drive that ended in 7 points was nice to see. People forget that as a Sophomore at Purdue he had a very good year and started strong his Junior year before getting injured. Some people were even talking Heisman before his the start of his Senior years. That year didn't turn out like many expected and it led to his being pretty much forgotten as a reasonable draft pick. I did not like the draft pick because I thought he was available as an UDFA, but I don't run the team. So bottom line give him the ball let him be the guy and see what he can do. Maybe he returns to his early college years productivity or maybe he crashes and burns we will see. If the D can keep playing at the level they did last night and if the receivers can start catching a few more balls(are you listening Dallas) and the running game continues to improve maybe we win 5-6 games, if not then we get the #1 draft pick and move on. Peyton is not coming back so let's see what Curtis brings to the table with the proper support, Collins has proven he was right to retire after last year.