Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should Painter Start?

CollieFangirl

Should Curtis Painter start next week?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Who Should Our Starter Be Next Week?

• Kerry Collins
    • Curtis Painter
    • Dan Orlovsky

Listen to the fans Polian.

You put a decent dt in like we ask and we win a superbowl.

You draft a talented lb like we ask and hes leading the NFL in tackles.

You play 9 yard out with a d end like the eagles, more pressure.

Listen and start painter amd give him lots of reps. No real fans hear give a dang about Andrew luck.

You mean like he when he did what the fans were calling for and signed a vet QB when everyone was screaming anyone BUT Painter just a few weeks ago? How quickly some fans forget...

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Collins just had a "concussion" and he doesn't look comfortable in our system. Now with Painter, he seems comfortable, and if he had a little bit of a better warmup and more snaps during practice we would have won this game. I'm starting to like thsi kid.

Don't get rid of collins keep them both, just rotate them as collins learns the system. Maybe go ahead & start painter. I was for bringing in a vet, but at this point really what have we got to lose. C paint di a good job lastnite, the over throws can be fixed with practice.

The debate between Painter and Collins is really 6 one way, half a dozen the other right now. Painter is going to throw more picks because his release is quicker. Collins isn't throwing picks because when he does throw he's usually 1) in the process of being hit leading to the ball to fly somewhere where there is no defensive player 2) being hurried so bad he throws an errant pass which flies somewhere where there are no defensive players, or 3) throwing a pass so inaccurate it flies somewhere where there are no players anywhere near.

You can say "Well it can't be any worse with Painter in there" but then you're ignoring the team's perspective that comes into that decision:

Painter is getting a low, low salary to sit on the bench. We paid Collins 4 million to come do this job, and if we're going to lose, lets get every last red cent we can out of it, right?

You don't go out and spend money on a new car to drive around in the one you had before that hardly works. I mean it's not that simple because hey, maybe Painter does give us a better chance to win and from a competitive standpoint that's our obligation. But at the same time, even if Painter does give us the better chance to win, that's not much better than our current situation, because, quite frankly, 5 wins is a stretch under either. We paid for Kerry Collins to do whatever it is he does, and the potential competitive upside to Painter doesn't negate the financial commitment we made to Collins.

We can be more competitive and still finish 4-12 and waste a ton of cap in a throwaway year, or we can finish 2-14 and get what we paid for in a throwaway year.

At the end of the day one is in no way better than the other.

We truly are doomed either way.

The debate between Painter and Collins is really 6 one way, half a dozen the other right now. Painter is going to throw more picks because his release is quicker. Collins isn't throwing picks because when he does throw he's usually 1) in the process of being hit leading to the ball to fly somewhere where there is no defensive player 2) being hurried so bad he throws an errant pass which flies somewhere where there are no defensive players, or 3) throwing a pass so inaccurate it flies somewhere where there are no players anywhere near.

You can say "Well it can't be any worse with Painter in there" but then you're ignoring the team's perspective that comes into that decision:

Painter is getting a low, low salary to sit on the bench. We paid Collins 4 million to come do this job, and if we're going to lose, lets get every last red cent we can out of it, right?

You don't go out and spend money on a new car to drive around in the one you had before that hardly works. I mean it's not that simple because hey, maybe Painter does give us a better chance to win and from a competitive standpoint that's our obligation. But at the same time, even if Painter does give us the better chance to win, that's not much better than our current situation, because, quite frankly, 5 wins is a stretch under either. We paid for Kerry Collins to do whatever it is he does, and the potential competitive upside to Painter doesn't negate the financial commitment we made to Collins.

We can be more competitive and still finish 4-12 and waste a ton of cap in a throwaway year, or we can finish 2-14 and get what we paid for in a throwaway year.

At the end of the day one is in no way better than the other.

We truly are doomed either way.

The $4 million is lost either way. It's not like Collins is a long term investment the Colts are hoping will pay off. It was a short term fix that hasn't worked. This organization was hoping Collins could help salvage what looked like a lost season and it has failed. At this point there is more incentive for the team to find out if Painter is a decent QB and worth keeping around as a backup to Manning. He has been there for 3 years and knows the system unlike Collins. If Painter isn't going to work out, the Colts need to draft a new backup QB and start all over again.

From NFL.com combine analysis:

Strengths: Good size and bulk for the position. Durable four-year starter from a system that produced starting NFL QBs Drew Brees (Saints) and Kyle Orton (Bears). Quick set up and delivery. Legitimate NFL arm strength and accuracy. Can make every NFL throw, showing the zip, touch and deep accuracy necessary to attack every level of the defense. When given time in the pocket, shows very good accuracy. Can hit the moving target, giving his receivers the opportunity to take advantage of their abilities to run after the catch. Not particularly athletic, but can roll out, square his shoulders and throw accurately on the move. Weaknesses: Struggles with pressure. Fails to feel the pocket collapsing around him and too often either absorbs hits or forces the ball into coverage. Will stare down his primary target and trusts his arm strength to put the ball into extraordinarily tight windows.

I think he deserves a shot. His weaknesses would seem to match pretty much with what we have seen from Collins so far this season. Maybe as a younger player he has the chance to improve which I don't think Collins has. Will he, we won't know unless he gets the chance to try. At this point, if reports are right, it is one or the other and we have seen what Collins brings to the table.

good call

I've been a Painter supporter who never the less wanted Collins to play until the team was eliminated. However at 0-3, and with Painter showing more in 1/2 a quarter than Collins has in 11 1/2 quarters, I don't see the point of sticking with Collins. It's just depressing and pointless.

As I've said many times here, every time Painter steps on the field - even in his most embarrassing efforts - he's always shown something good to make me stand up and take notice. I felt his problems were all about inexperience and "the game moving too fast for him". Well he stepped into the fourth quarter of a tight game against the defending AFC champions (renowned for their defense), and elevated the offenses performance. He cut down on the mistakes, and did things that Collins is simply unable to do. Not just now, but perhaps at any point in his career. He is just a better fit for the Colts offense. Note that he didn't "stare down Reggie" - the biggest complaint from the GB game - while Collins repeatedly targeting Reggie but missed badly. I never liked Collins before, and now I've seen enough of him to last me a lifetime. Give the kid a chance.

I maintain that if the "Green Bay performance" had taken place before Collins was signed, he wouldn't even be here. Now that Painter has extended that positive play into a regular season game, I suspect that he will be given every chance to play. Collin's injury is the short term reason, but if Painter plays the next two games the way he's played the last two quarters (21 points against superb defenses), how would you justify removing him?