Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

"The Donald Brown Project"

jshipp23

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder why??? And don't say injuries cause he has been healthy 10 or more games each year so he had plenty of time to start if he was good enough..

So surely I'm understanding your overall message, but it certainly looks like you're bashing a guy who has done reasonably well in the NFL, if too often dinged up, and productive less than expected for a first rounder... and you are recommending the Colts replace him with a guy who was too often injured to perform well at his own pro day, and has proven absolutely NOTHING as a pro?

But you've watched Lacy, and are willing to make a bunch of excuses for his shortcomings, and are willing to take potshots at fans who've watched Colts games and are willing to own that Brown isn't nearly as bad as some accuse him to be?

Grigson, just say NO to RB in the first round, and I'm beginning to be convinced by jshipp that Lacy is a definite NO, anywhere, if for no other reason than not having to hear any more of this drivel.

So surely I'm understanding your overall message, but it certainly looks like you're bashing a guy who has done reasonably well in the NFL, if too often dinged up, and productive less than expected for a first rounder... and you are recommending the Colts replace him with a guy who was too often injured to perform well at his own pro day, and has proven absolutely NOTHING as a pro?

But you've watched Lacy, and are willing to make a bunch of excuses for his shortcomings, and are willing to take potshots at fans who've watched Colts games and are willing to own that Brown isn't nearly as bad as some accuse him to be?

Grigson, just say NO to RB in the first round, and I'm beginning to be convinced by jshipp that Lacy is a definite NO, anywhere, if for no other reason than not having to hear any more of this drivel.

Wow. What was I trying to say?

Lesson to all the kids out there: don't drink and post.

What about Deji Karim?

Colts didn't tender him.

In other news Josh Gordy signed his tender today...

It's a times like this I saw in Grigson I trust because I don't understand it but I am willing to admit that Grigson knows more about what he's doing than I do. 

Colts didn't tender him.

It's a times like this I saw in Grigson I trust because I don't understand it but I am willing to admit that Grigson knows more about what he's doing than I do. 

The Vaughn days and the Gordy days....I am with you 8818!!!  :)

I see donald brown run and im like :goodluck: , but then i remember he is :yuk: . Then I watch the :censored: unfold and he does what he always does and :wall::panic: . So I always find myself :facepalm: and :nono2: . He is :scorebad: and If he does not :burnout: and score like 10-15 TD's, then he is going to vanish like a :ninja: . If the :coltslogo: dont get rid of him when he under performs then im going to :hairout: and :tvsmash: . Thats all ive got to say about this.

:hippie:

Edit: Guess you can only have this many emoticons on your post. I had to take out two so that i could post.

Colts didn't tender him.

This boggles my mind.

Many times over.

I see donald brown run and im like :goodluck: , but then i remember he is :yuk: . Then I watch the :censored: unfold and he does what he always does and :wall::panic: . So I always find myself :facepalm: and :nono2: . He is :scorebad: and If he does not :burnout: and score like 10-15 TD's, then he is going to vanish like a :ninja: . If the :coltslogo: dont get rid of him when he under performs then im going to :hairout: and :tvsmash: . Thats all ive got to say about this.

:hippie:

Edit: Guess you can only have this many emoticons on your post. I had to take out two so that i could post.

It is fun to do that once in awhile...

I used to like it when we had all of the NFL helmets...It made it fun!!!  That ninja vanished.....

It would not let me quote you with any emoticons either......

I saw on Sports Science that Barner was the most impressive physically of the RB's.  He looks a little light, but he's really powerful for his size.  According to the host, he outperformed Arian Foster's numbers and came just short of Adrian Peterson.  At the end of his run, he is to dive head first over a 6' bar with pads and helmet on and he barely tapped the bar each time.  wow.

Thanks. It was good stuff. Any chance you might be able to provide some kind of summary?

Unfortunately, that thread seems to have been taken down, but here is the gist.  I copied and pasted from another thread I just posted on:

When getting hit behind the line of scrimmage on a running play (ie poor offensive run blocking), Brown averaged around +0.5 YPC.

When getting to the line of scrimmage untouched, Brown averaged around +4.9 YPC.

Adrian Peterson's and Arian Foster's numbers were virtually identical.

What was the difference?  AP and Foster were hit behind the line of scrimmage 15-20% of the time.  Donald Brown was hit behind the line of scrimmage  35% of the time... essentially twice as much.  This was the only real difference.

The other few things from that thread:

When Brown had a good game, it was usually because the offensive line got the backfield penetration down to the more normal 15-20%.

Vick Ballard's numbers were also similar to Brown's (and AP's and Foster's), when broken down this way.  His numbers came and went with the offensive running blocking, as well.  There was virtually no difference between Ballard and Brown.

In other words.... fix the friggin' offensive line..... ;)

The other few things from that thread:

When Brown had a good game, it was usually because the offensive line got the backfield penetration down to the more normal 15-20%.

Vick Ballard's numbers were also similar to Brown's (and AP's and Foster's), when broken down this way.  His numbers came and went with the offensive running blocking, as well.  There was virtually no difference between Ballard and Brown.

In other words.... fix the friggin' offensive line..... ;)

I agree with fix the line,different backs totally,Ballard is more north and south no nonsense,but also is quick enough to get outside,Brown is a finness runner ,Ballard will get you the tough yards Brown cant,but behind a good line both can be more than adequate

I'm starting to feel more and more strong about Christine Michael. I think he will fit very nicely with Ballard, Brown and Havili if we make a run at him. I think adding him would giveus a very good balanced running attack. Michael could contribute to the speed game as well as the power game. If we picked him up I'd certainly send Carter packing.

I think he's got a boat load of potential.

I'm starting to feel more and more strong about Christine Michael. I think he will fit very nicely with Ballard, Brown and Havili if we make a run at him. I think adding him would giveus a very good balanced running attack. Michael could contribute to the speed game as well as the power game. If we picked him up I'd certainly send Carter packing.

I think he's got a boat load of potential.

I didn't know much about him so I looked into him more and watched more tape....That's a BAAAAAAD MAN right there......He would take the #1 and Ballard would be #2, and Donald Brown can go to the CFL where he belongs..Still rather have Lacy though.

Look I'm not a huge fan of Brown, I don't think he's an exceptional back by any means, but I do think a number of factors have affected his effectiveness which aren't all necessarily his fault. Let him see out his last year and if he performs we're happy, if he doesn't we can let go no harm no foul.

With a serviceable O line I think you'd be surprised what he could do, I also think having looked at his target numbers compared to other backs of similar ilk that he needs to be used more in the receiving game, something hopefully that will happen under Pep. I will say though he did have two awful drops last season that still haunt me :P   

This is amazing...... :???: ... :scratch:.. 4 pages of responses? The cool thing that's happening, i guess... O.o  is we get to see some Colts fans respond, that we've never seen on any of the Colts blogs. This feels like summertime, and we've just gotten out of school, and the only thing we've planned to do, is play with our old toys... :nutz: We need new toys, someone, please "donate".

I didn't know much about him so I looked into him more and watched more tape....That's a BAAAAAAD MAN right there......He would take the #1 and Ballard would be #2, and Donald Brown can go to the CFL where he belongs..Still rather have Lacy though.

I didn't know much about Michael until Brent posted the video and I looked it over several times with other info. The kid is a solid 220 lbs so he's a big back. To go along with that he has very good speed, good hands, you can use him a lot in the screen and draw game as well, plus his size allows you to use him in the power game if you needed to. I like Eddie Lacy, but I think I like this kid better.

Denard Robinson also does not stay healthy. Replacing a  injury prone player for another smaller one who has never played running back. It doesn't make much since to me. Im sure the Colts will look for anther running back in the draft that will be able to step into Browns position next season. It doesn't make much since to cut Brown now.

You obviously didn't watch Michigan play much...He basically was a running back.

I didn't know much about Michael until Brent posted the video and I looked it over several times with other info. The kid is a solid 220 lbs so he's a big back. To go along with that he has very good speed, good hands, you can use him a lot in the screen and draw game as well, plus his size allows you to use him in the power game if you needed to. I like Eddie Lacy, but I think I like this kid better.

I like the way he hits the hole with force no dancing around and he is a big boy, I'm not nearly as high on Lacy after actually watching his pro day and listening to his interviews..I was basically going by what I saw on the field last year with him , but there is more to it...Bernard, Michael, Randle, Lacy,Ball, and Barner are my top 6 in that order...A lot of people like Bell, but I don't see the quickness with him and he has a lot of wear on the tires already,,

I like the way he hits the hole with force no dancing around and he is a big boy, I'm not nearly as high on Lacy after actually watching his pro day and listening to his interviews..I was basically going by what I saw on the field last year with him , but there is more to it...Bernard, Michael, Randle, Lacy,Ball, and Barner are my top 6 in that order...A lot of people like Bell, but I don't see the quickness with him and he has a lot of wear on the tires already,,

Randle I like, but they ran him so much out of the shotgun it was always hard for me to get a good read on what his real capabilities are. On second thought, I guess I can't hold that against him too much because Michael was used out of the shotgun quite a bit too. Bell I like as a power back, but I'm looking for someone who has a good blend of everything which is why I keep sticking with Michael.

My only question mark with Michael is it appeared to me that most of what Texas A and M was doing was based out of zone concepts. I didn't see a whole lot of man blocking, so if we got Michael i'm sure we'd sprinkle in a healthy dose of zone runs blended in with the man concepts.

Donald Brown's injuries are the main issue, however at his relatively low salary, backup RB would suit him well. His results are actuallly not bad, espcially considering he has run behind a mediocre OL most of his career. His lifetime yards per carry are 4.1. That compares to Edgerrin's 4.2, Rhodes 4.0, Addai 4.1 and Ballard 3.9. He ofcourse is no Edgerrin James, but his yards per carry are not bad at all and he has 1 fumble, ever. His durability is the issue, but when on the field his actual production is not bad at all.

I also really like Michael i think he would be a great addition and create alot of versatility in the run and pass game, but if we do get him and i hope that we do i think he would be the #2 behind ballard and have a smaller role at first with ballard taking 75% of the snaps because Michael does have injury probs and disciple issues, look it up, but i hope we get him and after time him and ballard can split snaps evenly.

After 4 years of failure it's time to cut bait, short of cutting him and eationg his 2 million dollar salary I would trade him for a 7th round pick if we can even find any takers...His 1 attribute is speed...He has zero vision, no awareness, no power, is injury prone and made of glass, and is below average at best as a receiver as he always is too worried about getting hit and turns head to check for defenders and drops many balls that could have been big plays..3 out of his 4 years his avg per carry was under 4 yards..3 out of 4 years he has run for less than 500 yards...The most receptions he has had in a season is 20..The most TD's he has had in a season is 5, and last year he had 9 catches and 1 TD and for all his speed his longest run was 19 yards...Their are 20 backs in rounds 1 thru 7 that could come in day 1 and be more productive..I would even rather have Denard Robinson in rounds 6 or 7 and convert him to RB and he would provide more production and big plays than Brown...Thoughts and Opinions???

Brown has done pretty well when not injured.  He has had exactly no blocking since he has been here.  When given a decent block he is capable of being a very good RB. 

Donald Brown's injuries are the main issue, however at his relatively low salary, backup RB would suit him well. His results are actuallly not bad, espcially considering he has run behind a mediocre OL most of his career. His lifetime yards per carry are 4.1. That compares to Edgerrin's 4.2, Rhodes 4.0, Addai 4.1 and Ballard 3.9. He ofcourse is no Edgerrin James, but his yards per carry are not bad at all and he has 1 fumble, ever. His durability is the issue, but when on the field his actual production is not bad at all.

Dont cloud others with facts. It confuses them. The Colts haven't had decent run blocking in years. If anyone would care to look at the numbers we haven't had even an average O-line suited for running since the Edge was here. It was all geared to pass block for Manning. Thats why Addai was very good as a blocker and receiver, not a running back. I, for one will be glad to see a new offense geared to have a power running game. It would help our defense a lot to keep them off the field a little longer. While Manning's shootout games were exciting to watch the Colts always paid the price in the playoffs from not having a balanced offense. 

ding ding ding!!! Johnny tell him what won... Correct answer wrong reasoning lol i see what you did there

I think this argument has become pointless. Clearly there are 2 factions (and neither is willing to listen to the other):

Those who believe they've seen irrefutable evidence that DB isn't good enough to succeed, who love to toss around descriptors like soft, finesse, or fragile;

And those who look at the results, and see that, when he's been healthy and has gotten even just adequate blocking, he's been very solid.

One is supported by anecdotal evidence, the other by statistics... and yes, I understand stats don't tell the whole story.

I'd like to see DB, just once, have an above average line... before everyone decides he's garbage.

Frankly, other than one spectacular corkscrew dive into the endzone, it isn't as if Ballard put up markedly better stats last year. I think that one play just caught peoples' imaginations more than the more ho-hum looking stuff DB's shown us.