Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Erik Walden

danlhart87

I am probably the only one here who likes this guy. He's gonna ultimately become a great sign for the Colts. What's important to remember is Walden was picked up cause he is one of the better run stoppers in the league. I say we just play Hughes on mostly long 3rd Downs and some other passing plays and bring Walden in for the short yardage plays. Trust me... Walden will be a great player for the Colts.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, that's a hot button for me. How can you say we overpaid when he hasn't played a down for us?

What should we have paid for him?

Because his performance won't affect the fact that we overpaid for him. He isnt worth 4 million, but we paid him like an established well above average player. So, at the time of signing him, he was overpaid. Regardless of this year's performance. Which I expect to be mediocre.

Because his performance won't affect the fact that we overpaid for him. He isnt worth 4 million, but we paid him like an established well above average player. So, at the time of signing him, he was overpaid. Regardless of this year's performance. Which I expect to be mediocre.

Well that's not very nice haha

I am probably the only one here who likes this guy. He's gonna ultimately become a great sign for the Colts. What's important to remember is Walden was picked up cause he is one of the better run stoppers in the league. I say we just play Hughes on mostly long 3rd Downs and some other passing plays and bring Walden in for the short yardage plays. Trust me... Walden will be a great player for the Colts.

better run stopper until he faces the read option and then he gets beat by the QB. and we face two teams that run that this coming season in san fran and seattle. 

better run stopper until he faces the read option and then he gets beat by the QB. and we face two teams that run that this coming season in san fran and seattle.

That's not a fair comparison. Everyone & their momma got beat by the read option offense this year.

3 teams ran it (SF, WAS, & SEA) & 20+ teams (excluding us) got beat by it

That's not a fair comparison. Everyone & their momma got beat by the read option offense this year.

3 teams ran it (SF, WAS, & SEA) & 20+ teams (excluding us) got beat by it

baltimore didnt get beat by it hence the reason their super bowl champs. one play, he should have stayed home and instead bit the fake and got beat by Kap, poor discipline. hopefully he fixes that. 

baltimore didnt get beat by it hence the reason their super bowl champs. one play, he should have stayed home and instead bit the fake and got beat by Kap, poor discipline. hopefully he fixes that.

Okay, Erik Walden bit. And how many other players who're "better" than Walden bite on the fake & get beat?

He wasn't the only one all year who got beat. Football is a TEAM sport. So when Walden got beat, the other 10 players out there with him got beat too

Don't you know that people who poo-poo everything are "realists"? If you are an optimist, you live in a fantasy world.

I'll trust Grigs until he proves otherwise.

He was the worst OLBer in football 2 years in a row. Saying he will be mediocre is "poo-poo"-ing him?

Your not alone I agree with you I like him think he will be great and he may surprise with a lol pass rush

People act like Walden can put pressure on the QB at all, he isn't the greatest rusher but he did have 26.5 QB pressures(2nd most on the packers) this year and 24.5 QB pressures last year he just didn't convert them to sacks, so the capability is there, just have to wait and see if he can convert more of his pressures to sacks in a Colt uniform.

The thing I hated was Freeney running himself right out of the play every time, I don't have to worry about that with Walden because he plays the run on the way to the QB and tackles , Freeney just played to the QB and ran himself out the play

Wow, I hope you're joking.  His performance won't affect his value?  

I sure hope you're not an agent.

Funny how Walden has become the most talked about Colt lately.  Everybody is going to be watching this guy like a hawk waiting for him to mess up so they can say "I told you so" or for him to make plays so the other side can say "Grigson knows what he is doing".  I belong to the latter camp.  Out of all the players in free agency, Grigson just can't be dumb enough to grab the "worst linebacker" on the first day.  So, that makes me think he isn't the worst linebacker in the league, so as Will Ferrel said "That's what I chose to believe" :)

He was the worst OLBer in football 2 years in a row. Saying he will be mediocre is "poo-poo"-ing him?

Based on what? One rating from PFF? What about the one where he was highly rated on run stop percentage?

Or how about the fact that PFF's ratings have nothing to do with how good or bad a player is?

This is what I don't like about these advanced metrics. People start to treat them like law. I too think we paid more for Walden than we needed to, but based on his numbers and production in a similar system, and based on similar players (like Jarrett Johnson) and similar contracts, it's not that far out of whack. If he performs similar to how he has the past two years when he was "the worst OLB in the league," his production will be commiserate with his pay. Even if he's not on the field every down.

He actually turned the run inside rather nicely. JMO.

He was a day one buy with an average history. The big thing was he filled a need and signed for a squat bonus.

Be here no more than two years unless he Amazes. Sooooooo Amaze. We would all be happy.

Wow, I hope you're joking. His performance won't affect his value?

I sure hope you're not an agent.

What? What does an agent have to do with this? No, his performance after signing the contract doesn't change the fact that he wasn't worth the $ based on his career so far.

Walden was not on my "wish list" for FA ... but, I find it hard to believe that Grigson just went out and threw a contract at Walden without some sort of plan.  Why do so many people jump to the conclusion that Grigson just ran out early in FA and threw "too much" money at someone who did not deserve it.  When we gave Walden the contract there were plenty of other OLBs and we had tons of  money ...so I am assuming Grigson had some reason for making the choice he made.

Well, they did get beat once San Francisco started to use read option in the second half

Sorry, that's a hot button for me.  How can you say we overpaid when he hasn't played a down for us?

What should we have paid for him?  

While I believe we overpaid for him, I have given up the debate about that simply because if he does not perform up to Grigsons expectations or liking we can cut him by the 5th league day of 2014 now with that said you dont pay for what you think some player might do and Grigson did not do that Grigson offered them the amount he did for what in Grigsons mind he saw that he did do in Green Bay, Example(really bad business ethics that is in my opinion and I think many others will tell you the same thing) what if he did not put in the contract that very important info about the 5th day of the league year? then you have a guy who is making 16 million over the next 4 years, what if he does not play up to that? Its like paying a guy a big contract because he ran a fast 40 and is deemed an athletic freak, well thats nice, whats he done on the field? Why not go out and pick up Micheal Johnson (a sprinter) because he has won multiple awards running fast? you see what I mean? you pay for what a player has done previously or what you expect him to do based on what his performance was with his previous team or teams

Baltimore was able to contain it for one half.  The second half was another story.  The SB came down to bad playcalling on a potential game-winning drive.

While I believe we overpaid for him, I have given up the debate about that simply because if he does not perform up to Grigsons expectations or liking we can cut him by the 5th league day of 2014 now with that said you dont pay for what you think some player might do and Grigson did not do that Grigson offered them the amount he did for what in Grigsons mind he saw that he did do in Green Bay, Example(really bad business ethics that is in my opinion and I think many others will tell you the same thing) what if he did not put in the contract that very important info about the 5th day of the league year? then you have a guy who is making 16 million over the next 4 years, what if he does not play up to that? Its like paying a guy a big contract because he ran a fast 40 and is deemed an athletic freak, well thats nice, whats he done on the field? Why not go out and pick up Micheal Johnson (a sprinter) because he has won multiple awards running fast? you see what I mean? you pay for what a player has done previously or what you expect him to do based on what his performance was with his previous team or teams

Sorry, but EVERY free agent (every player, for that matter) is paid based on what they might do. Are you suggesting Wallace has ever already played like a $12M a year WR? No, Miami is paying based on how they HOPE he will play for them.

I suppose only past-their-prime, aging veterans every really get paid for what they've already accomplished instead of for hope of future improvement. But even then, it is based on a hope that their high level of play will continue, despite age (ie. Ed Reed).

7th best in the league in run stopping percentage... I saw with my own two eyes that he has speed and pass rush moves (against us)... its just a matter of putting it all together... we won't be out much if we have to cut him after this season, either...

Good signing, IMO... PFF is way off on him.... I do not think he is a probowler or anything, but he has shown flashes in all three major phases of OLB play.

OLB is a weak spot on the roster and Mathis won't play at the level we are used to for much longer... This will be a position that is likely to see some serious turnover over the next couple seasons, but rush LB in a 3-4 is on its way to being the new RB... you only need elite talent if you are lacking skill and size on the D-Line, but if the D-Line talent is there, your scrubs will look like All Pros...  I know that this is a very unpopular opinion, but it is true nonetheless.. OLBs in a 3-4 are more dependent on the players around them and the play call than any other defensive position... kinda like the HB of the D...

They say "you can never have too many pass rushers" but every year some unknown/backup OLB has a monster season.... Its not the same as a DE in a 4-3, who will line up opposite an OT on every snap... It is up to the fatties up front and the Defensive Coordinator to get the rush LB in a 3-4 to the QB...

Of course, elite talent at the position can mask a lot of shortcomings on the line... some guys are nearly unblockable, ect...  but there is no doubt in my mind that Jerry Hughes would never had been labeled a bust had he played in Baltimore or San Fran...

IDK... I just argued the opposite side of this on a different forum against a guy who said that we should have just bumped Hughes into the starting lineup and pick up a couple undrafted FAs for depth... I'm just playing devils advocate tonight, I guess...

Sorry, but EVERY free agent (every player, for that matter) is paid based on what they might do. Are you suggesting Wallace has ever already played like a $12M a year WR? No, Miami is paying based on how they HOPE he will play for them.

I suppose only past-their-prime, aging veterans every really get paid for what they've already accomplished instead of for hope of future improvement. But even then, it is based on a hope that their high level of play will continue, despite age (ie. Ed Reed).

Mike Wallace was drafted in 2009, He has 32 touchdowns since then, over that same span Calvin Johnson only has 5 more in that same span, Calvin Johnson also has 5749 yards over that same span compared to 4,042, Johnson has played in 14 more games over that span then Wallace, Now given Wallaces average of 60 balls caught a year (235 career receptions divided by his 63 games played of which only 48 are starts(gives you number of balls he catches average per game which is 3.7 then) and X's his 17.2 career average per catch then Wallace is just around 400 yards shy of Johnson in that span.......As far as polished wr wise has Wallace earned that contract? Of course not, Has he earned his contract based on what he showed has done and can do? he sure has......Calvin Johnson has 54 touchdowns caught in 92 career games(average .59 per game if I figured that right in a pass heavy offense), Wallace has 32 td's in 63 career games in a more balanced offense(average .51 per game if I figured that right), There is not as big of a gap as one would think once you look past Calvin Johnsons obviously supreme star power compared to Wallaces

If he does his job why would he be over paid?  So far Grigson has done a fine job at getting the most out of a player.  Last years players were put together when Grigson was in cap hell.  He put together a team with around 30 players who were not considered other team starters. The one player who was way over paid was Freeney and he is gone. 

Would that be any different than most defensive players in the NFL?   All the teams now have the tapes on the QB options and will make adjustments.  Not any one player can stop the option play, it takes the whole defense.  

Man, what's "hope" got to do with it? I don't care how hopeful you are. You don't pay $60 million for a one trick pony

I like him. And I think a lot of other people like him.