Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eddie Lacy reminds me so much of an ex Colt great

BlueShoe

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An even a homer will agree that Donald and Carter are not the answers. At least this homer can admit it. ;)

I guess I'm not a homer then.

I've said it for years, and stand by it now: fix the line, then you can judge the RBs.

Injuries and lack of production can both be easily traced to poor blocking, lack of running lanes opened, and general lack of protection. If the line gets fixed, and the RBs still struggle, then I'll agree its time to move on.

In the meanwhile, Brown was productive when he was on the field the last two seasons. I realize it is a favorite sport on this forum to bash DB, but his critics strangely disappeared when he was doing his job, only to reappear again in the offseason.

Let's see what these guys can do with this new, revamped OLine before we decide that a first round pick needs to be spent on yet another RB (who would likely have struggled behind a line like we had last year, and been labeled a bust before getting a reasonable chance).

I've said it for years, and stand by it now: fix the line, then you can judge the RBs.

Injuries and lack of production can both be easily traced to poor blocking, lack of running lanes opened, and general lack of protection. If the line gets fixed, and the RBs still struggle, then I'll agree its time to move on.

In the meanwhile, Brown was productive when he was on the field the last two seasons. I realize it is a favorite sport on this forum to bash DB, but his critics strangely disappeared when he was doing his job, only to reappear again in the offseason.

Let's see what these guys can do with this new, revamped OLine before we decide that a first round pick needs to be spent on yet another RB (who would likely have struggled behind a line like we had last year, and been labeled a bust before getting a reasonable chance).

Agreed....a later round RB selection is fine with me if Grigson so chooses, but this O-line rebuild is long overdue.

I am not a Donald Brown basher. I believe he is talented. The FACT is that he cannot stay healthy. He could be the next Jim Brown, but if he is hurt all of the time then he does us no good. He is doing us absolutely no good and we cannot depend on him.

Donald cannot stay healthy and Carter can't hang on to the ball. Irsay and Grigson both said that we are not a one back team and do not plan to be. Those days have been over for most teams for a long time now. I can see Lacy and Ballard being the new James and Rhodes, only with splitting carries more evenly.

Lacy and Ballard run to much alike for us to draft Lacy, Ballard is a poor man's edge anyways so no need in that type of back being drafted.  We have multiple options for multiple situations.  Carter is the goalline, Brown is the quick-hitter.  Ballard is the grind it out workhorse type.  I could see us drafting a rb if we already didn't have 3 on the roster.  I believe it will be Status Quo come opening day.

Boy do I miss Edge though!!!!!!! 

I am not a Donald Brown basher. I believe he is talented. The FACT is that he cannot stay healthy. He could be the next Jim Brown, but if he is hurt all of the time then he does us no good. He is doing us absolutely no good and we cannot depend on him.

Blocking isn't just to open lanes. Getting blown up in the backfield down after down, game after game, season after season tends to lead to injuries. I'd still like to see DB play behind a decent line.

Blocking isn't just to open lanes. Getting blown up in the backfield down after down, game after game, season after season tends to lead to injuries. I'd still like to see DB play behind a decent line.

He doesn't take many hits before he is finished. He is not durable. All kinds of potential; but he cannot stay on the field.

About what? Whether we will draft Lacey? I know we won't.

No. We will know whether or not he will be a good back on the NFL. This is where we differ, hence I believe we could draft him and that he fits for us.

I am saying he will be a good back and that we could draft him. You are guaranteeing that he will be terrible in the NFL and that we have no chance of drafting him. You must have a huge part in making our picks with how confident you are. Tell Grigson I said Hi at the next draft meeting you have with him. ;)

Lacy and Ballard run to much alike for us to draft Lacy, Ballard is a poor man's edge anyways so no need in that type of back being drafted.  We have multiple options for multiple situations.  Carter is the goalline, Brown is the quick-hitter.  Ballard is the grind it out workhorse type.  I could see us drafting a rb if we already didn't have 3 on the roster.  I believe it will be Status Quo come opening day.

I don't miss Edge at all. After Edge left, the Colts won the SB behind the running of the incomparable duo of Addai and Rhodes. Running backs are a dime a dozen

I must be watching different games. I've seen him get BLOWN UP. Many times. In the backfield.

By many, do you mean the few carries he gets before he is done for a few weeks or the rest of the season. I understand homerism, but at some point reality has to set in. Donald Brown is a one chronic injury problem after another.

I don't miss Edge at all. After Edge left, the Colts won the SB behind the running of the incomparable duo of Addai and Rhodes. Running backs are a dime a dozen

We ran the ball on trickery by fooling defenses. You can thank Peyton for that success.

No. We will know whether or not he will be a good back on the NFL. This is where we differ, hence I believe we could draft him and that he fits for us.

I am saying he will be a good back and that we could draft him. You are guaranteeing that he will be terrible in the NFL and that we have no chance of drafting him. You must have a huge part in making our picks with how confident you are. Tell Grigson I said Hi at the next draft meeting you have with him. ;)

I never once said that I guaranteed he's going to be horrible. Never said anything about him being bad, actually.

By many, do you mean the few carries he gets before he is done for a few weeks or the rest of the season. I understand homerism, but at some point reality has to set in. Donald Brown is a one chronic injury problem after another.

There is a huge difference to potential for injury between initiating contact and getting blown up. Rarely in his career has he even had the chance to initiate contact. The Colts OLine has been miserable his entire career here, and his injuries can easily be attributed to the abuse he's taken as a result.

No, the colts actually had a good offensive line

Our offensive line has not been good since Glenn retired. It went downhill every year after that. We are just starting to rebuild it and have some solid pieces now. Peyton masked how horrible the line really was by getting rid of the ball quickly and fooling the defense with running plays when they thought we were passing.

There is a huge difference to potential for injury between initiating contact and getting blown up. Rarely in his career has he even had the chance to initiate contact. The Colts OLine has been miserable his entire career here, and his injuries can easily be attributed to the abuse he's taken as a result.

He averaged 112 carries a year over the past 4 years, while Ballard carried the ball 211 times in just one year. They have the same line. From your example, Ballard should have been hurt after 100 carries too. Brown is injured so much that Addai was healthier than him, and Joe tapped himself out every other play.

He averaged 112 carries a year over the past 4 years, while Ballard carried the ball 211 times in just one year. They have the same line. From your example, Ballard should have been hurt after 100 carries too. Brown is injured so much that Addai was healthier than him, and Joe tapped himself out every other play.

NFL history is littered with RBs who were "injury prone", who excelled after getting a chance to run behind improved OLines. See Taylor, Fred, aka Fragile Freddie, for one.

Or let me know if you honestly believe fans wouldn't go crazy to add Fred Jackson if he was available at a reasonable price.

Regardless, your new GM stocks his team with value in mind at every turn. Lacy is not a value pick in round one when later round RB options don't represent enough drop off at a fraction the price.

Going RB in round 1 is not in keeping with EVERY OTHER MOVE Grigson has made. I'm not expecting Lacy to happen. At all.

Lacy may well be the best RB in the draft but I don't think it's a great draft for them, and even then I agree mostly with the view of RBs don't have enough value on the whole to be taken in the first. If we took one at 24 it would be a little like putting the cart before the horse seeing as we have a big vacancy at RG. 

O line/OLB for me are still the biggest needs. I wouldn't be surprised to see us look at Taylor though, especially if he drops.

Haven't read the comments so I'm sure that this is getting old - but I don't see the resemblance at all. I've never watched Lacy before but based on the hype I had no idea that he was so stiff, upright, and bulky. Edge was none of those things - he was a fluid, imaginative all-purpose weapon.

RBs are a dime a dozen now-a-days, and more to the point it shouldn't remotely be a high round priority for the Colts.

Well I think everybody that has posted in the thread besides Blueshoe has summed it up pretty well. RB's are a waste of a pick early in the draft. We don't need one and I hate the excuse of, "well what happens if so and so gets injured" teams that draft because they're afraid of injury at a certain position, are teams that fail. 

I am not going to lie.  I like Lacey a lot!  I also like Stephen Taylor of Stanford.....but......

The days of drafting a running back in the first round are virtually going by the wayside.....unless I had Nobody (not our forum friend Nobody :)) to run the football as the Browns did not, I personally would not even consider it.  Especially this year.

This is the year of the safety, OL, DL, and OLB.......and darned if I do not wish we had every one of San Francisco's picks to let Grigson go nutty with them!!

Lacey will probably end up a Ram....just a feeling.  As to the true topic, Lacey is almost 20 pounds heavier than Edge was, and Edge was sooooo elusive.  Lacey likes contact....Edge did not mind it either, but could juke the defender into next week.  :):coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:

Our offensive line has not been good since Glenn retired. It went downhill every year after that. We are just starting to rebuild it and have some solid pieces now. Peyton masked how horrible the line really was by getting rid of the ball quickly and fooling the defense with running plays when they thought we were passing.

When the Colts won the SB Glenn was playing...along with Jake Scott....it was a good line

Imagine Eddie Lacy in a Colts uniform 14 years ago with a number 32 when you watch these clips.

I think he needs to improve on his blocking, but I am blown away by the resemblance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2UdKDeyWAs

I would be okay with using our #24 to get him.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Draft Threads are that way. And I totally disagree with your opinion. No way Grigs throws away our 24th pick on this kid.

Edge was unique though....obviously not saying he's the best EVER, but i have never seen anyone run the way he did, with his combination of strength and agility and the way he could bend and twist his body to stay up....insane....

We ran the ball on trickery by fooling defenses. You can thank Peyton for that success.

No, Peyton and Edge had the best line in the league in 2004 and 2005 (irregardless Peyton throwing them under the bus vs. Steelers in playoffs).

C 63 Jeff Saturday 5 29 6-2 292 North Carolina    RG 73 Jake Scott 0 23 6-5 283 Idaho   RG 56 Tupe Peko 1 26 6-4 305 Michigan St.    LG 65 Ryan Lilja 0 23 6-2 285 Kansas St.    LG 64 Rick DeMulling 3 27 6-4 304 Idaho     RT 71 Ryan Diem 3 25 6-6 331 Northern Illinois    LT 78 Tarik Glenn 7 28 6-5 332 California

With Marcus Pollard, Dallas Clark, and Ben Hartsock at TE.  Lilja was the rookie backup to DeMulling then.

Peyton set passing records in 2004 behind these guys, and Edge benefited greatly too.  I'm hoping we build something similar here soon for Luck, Brown/Ballard!  Go BPA  (not RB) in draft Grigson!

I am not going to lie.  I like Lacey a lot!  I also like Stephen Taylor of Stanford.....but......

The days of drafting a running back in the first round are virtually going by the wayside.....unless I had Nobody (not our forum friend Nobody :)) to run the football as the Browns did not, I personally would not even consider it.  Especially this year.

This is the year of the safety, OL, DL, and OLB.......and darned if I do not wish we had every one of San Francisco's picks to let Grigson go nutty with them!!

Lacey will probably end up a Ram....just a feeling.  As to the true topic, Lacey is almost 20 pounds heavier than Edge was, and Edge was sooooo elusive.  Lacey likes contact....Edge did not mind it either, but could juke the defender into next week.   :):coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:

Brother your right on all counts,and you know I love Lacey as well,weve talked privately on this,but this is for everyone in this thread Mark My Words Right Here!!!The Colts will not use the #24 pick on a RB anyone feel free to bring it to my attention if im wrong,but ITS A FACT.Some are living PIPE Dreams :funny: and your right wish Grigs had SF picks to go nuts,People just need to let reality sink in