Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay's latest tweet (Saturday 3/16)

GoColts8818

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because we have approx 5 mil left, doesn't mean we are going to spend it....or should. Haven't we already reached our spending requirement level? I think that is what Irsay meant.

Davis being locked up would be very comforting.

I don't think we can resign Davis now. All we know is that a WR somewhere on this earth is becoming a Colt. Which means the last of our money will probably go to that player

Thanks....just woke up!

Oh, you missed everything then haha

Basically, Irsay sent us on a Frenzy late last night saying a deal is in progress. Later came back & told us it's a WR. Also stated we're at the cap wall or something like that. So I'm almost certain this WR will be the last thing we do financially until the draft

:facepalm:

Fine. The Arizona Cardinals are trading Larry Fitzgerald.

I doubt it too because their asking price would have to be a couple first rounders or the very least a first and second and then a team would have to pay him that huge salary. That team won't win with him....he isn't a difference maker without someone to get him the ball. Even if he has a better qb they have soo many needs. Its dead cap space to a team that should focus on rebuilding. Adding to that young defense and strengthening the core of the offense. This isn't the NBA. One superstar on your roster won't do you one bit of good. Those fans are going to be pretty disinterested if they go 4-12...with or without Larry.

Oh, you missed everything then haha

Basically, Irsay sent us on a Frenzy late last night saying a deal is in progress. Later came back & told us it's a WR. Also stated we're at the cap wall or something like that. So I'm almost certain this WR will be the last thing we do financially until the draft

If indeed we spend the rest of our money on a wr....we will be desperate for a OG in the draft. OG, S, and LB help.

The deal has not been done yet and one may never end up getting done. All we know is Irsay and the staff are trying to get one done. Its all still up in the air. I wouldn't get too excited yet because there's just as good a chance it may not happen. Not saying I don't want it too but I just don't wanna get my hopes up and it be all for not.

We’ve got to love Jim Irsay. He knows how to get the fan base excited. I believe that this is a bigger name, at least in the same ballpark as Vontea, because Jim has went far out of his way to make a big deal about this (more than normal). I would not be surprised if it is Victor Cruz. The Giants might not be capable of matching the contract that we have the ability to offer. Cruz would certainly add a dynamic to our passing game. On many levels Cruz makes sense, because we will be hard-pressed to find a wide receiver at #24 who can be as explosive on day one, as Cruz can be.

The five days the Colts have been working on this deal is the most intriguing, because if that were not a factor then someone such as, Brandon Lloyd, would make a lot of sense.

There are many variables to this leading me to think it could be any number of receivers; Jeremy Macklin, DeSean Jackson, Victor Cruz, Hakeem Nicks, Steve Johnson, Dwayne Bowe, Brandon Lloyd, Larry Fitzgerald, and so on.

Do we want the baggage that DeSean Jackson brings? Or does his relationship with Ryan Grigson and his ability to act as a duo threat in the return game trump the baggage?

Victor Cruz is worth the first round pick, and will add explosion to our passing attack. Would the Giants really let him go after losing Manningham last year, especially when it was so obvious how much the Giants underestimated his importance? That said, the Giants might not be capable of stopping it. The Giants might also realize that it will be very difficult to sign Cruz and Nicks next season, as both are in contract years, so the Giants might be shopping either of them to get something in return. Maybe the deal isn’t for a first round pick, but rather a 3rd and a late pick, or a 3rd this year and a pick next year based on performance (round 3-7).

Steve Johnson signed a five-year, 36 million dollar deal last year, with $19.2 million guaranteed. This deal pays $24 million over the first three years, excluding one year which is complete. Maybe the Bills want to free up some money to sign pieces that fit a new philosophy. They have already dumped several other players, including their starting quarterback, Fitzpatrick. The Steve Johnson possibility makes sense because it might take five days to figure out how to implement his deal into one that works for the Colts salary cap; not just this year, but also for future cap years. I can see an extension with most of the remaining guaranteed money restructured as a signing bonus, and added a year or so to the deal.

Dwayne Bowe was franchised at around 9.5 million. The Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks scenario similarly fit in this process.

Brandon Lloyd was just released so this is not likely our current target, but could be a backup plan if the current deal fails to come to fruition.

As much as I would really like our offense with Larry Fitzgerald, I just do not see him leaving Arizona. He is the ultimate team player, and from his words and his actions, he has made me a believer that he has no intentions of ever playing for another team. He is the ultimate loyalty guy.

The one constant in my mind, is how much the Wes Welker deal has played into the Colts front office concerns, and may be forcing our hands to be more aggressive in finding a free agent wide receiver. Clearly Denver is the team everyone is chasing in the AFC right now.

Sorry this is so long. I have been collecting my thoughts for a while.

I doubt it too because their asking price would have to be a couple first rounders or the very least a first and second and then a team would have to pay him that huge salary. That team won't win with him....he isn't a difference maker without someone to get him the ball. Even if he has a better qb they have soo many needs. Its dead cap space to a team that should focus on rebuilding. Adding to that young defense and strengthening the core of the offense. This isn't the NBA. One superstar on your roster won't do you one bit of good. Those fans are going to be pretty disinterested if they go 4-12...with or without Larry.

Thanks.

BTW, for everone talking about Irsay saying we're close to the cap, it's important to realize that he said that we're "past the cap cash wise" i.e. cash over the cap.

Cash over the cap is when you've spent more physical dollars in a year than the salary cap. While bonuses are amortized over multiple years, Cash-over-cap counts all signing bonuses paid out just in the single year (but not previous years). Since we're paying out a bunch of signing bonuses this year, it's no surprise we're cash-over-cap.

Sounds like that's really bad for us. I'm hoping we don't start back loading contracts and put us in the same position.

S? LaRon and Antonie defanetly do it for mee

Because Bethea is a free agent after this year and will be at that magical 30 mark. He also had 0 ints and 0 ff last year. That isn't a lot of production out of a guy that is counts 5.75 million on your cap. SS is the hitter...FS is the ball hawk. He just doesn't force very many turnovers. He had 100 tackles last year but I saw him take a lot of bad angles and miss quite a few. It wasn't just Zibs back there. Safety is a position that I think you try to stay on the under side of 30 for because of all the hits. Drafting a replacement will be important I think.

Because Bethea is a free agent after this year and will be at that magical 30 mark. He also had 0 ints and 0 ff last year. That isn't a lot of production out of a guy that is counts 5.75 million on your cap. SS is the hitter...FS is the ball hawk. He just doesn't force very many turnovers. He had 100 tackles last year but I saw him take a lot of bad angles and miss quite a few. It wasn't just Zibs back there. Safety is a position that I think you try to stay on the under side of 30 for because of all the hits. Drafting a replacement will be important I think.

Wasn't bethel playing strong safety last year?

Put it this way, if it wasn't a player of high caliber, it wouldn't have taken this long. You only negotiate for this long when it is worth it.

"Good things come to those who wait"????

Would that be a good booster to make us think it really is a top player?