Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I'm LOVING What Ryan Grigson Did Today

HarassedOffTheSite

What an empty little retort...

He came from a smash mouthed Man blocking scheme at UConn. Was drafted into a Man blocking scheme under Sparano and won the starting RG on day 3 of training-camp. He suffered a serious lisfranc fracture on September 7th!! That IRd him for his entire rookie year. The next season he was not able to rebound and was dropped. He stayed hungry, kept pushing and finally landed with the Patriots where he proved he is not ONLY a Man blocker but that he is also talented enough to play Stretch-Zone-Power.

Don't hate the kid because he is talented. Hate yourself for not knowing it. ;)

I don't care what he did in college he's been in a zone blocking scheme his entire NFL career and is too small for our system. Next.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know some people don't like this because it isn't what they expected. But what did everyone say before FA began? "I trust Grigs." And I still do. Reading his opinions on these players, it is evident that he truly believes that these additions will be beneficial for us. And so I bow to his superior knowledge. 

And in the end, ask yourself this: "What gaping holes are left on this team?" 

Safety maybe, but it is said we are talking with LaRon Landry, and that certainly isn't a gaping hole.

We are in a much better position overall than if we had gotten a bunch of big names that would have big questions entering the team. 

Now we can truly draft BPA and grab those players that will take us to the next step. A DE, WR, OLB, whoever. 

And don't forget, there are still many other players out there. 

So far so good IMO.  Not what we all expected but building depth and adding guys with high upside is smart.  FA isn't done, and we have the draft.  When can we nab more talent from the CFL?  Anytime?  Waiting for Grigs to strike again.  Who's left that we want after seeing these signings?  Safety Mikell from St. Louis has some ties to Grigs.  I see sidbury as a special teams beast. 

I'm lovin' it!  Would have liked Vasquez too, but you can't get everyone on the wish list.  Donald Thomas is still a huge upgrade at RG over McGlynn.  Sort of expected the non-name at OLB.  We're just kind fillin' in the depth and adding additional pass rush ability, and Walden sounds like a good addition.  It's probably going to be Mathis and Hughes starting, unless we can somehow land Avril...  Still hoping for a low-level, #4 WR. 

I know some people don't like this because it isn't what they expected. But what did everyone say before FA began? "I trust Grigs." And I still do. Reading his opinions on these players, it is evident that he truly believes that these additions will be beneficial for us. And so I bow to his superior knowledge. 

And in the end, ask yourself this: "What gaping holes are left on this team?" 

Safety maybe, but it is said we are talking with LaRon Landry, and that certainly isn't a gaping hole.

We are in a much better position overall than if we had gotten a bunch of big names that would have big questions entering the team. 

Now we can truly draft BPA and grab those players that will take us to the next step. A DE, WR, OLB, whoever. 

And don't forget, there are still many other players out there. 

We're a better team.  How much better is open to debate.  Did we maximixe this one-time opportunity and spend the money as wisely as we could?  That's the question.  

With all the build up it is easy to feel bumbed about the guys that the Colts "missed out on". But who really knows who the real targets were/are unless Grigson mentions something down the road. I really hadn't heard of any of these guys until today but I will reserve judgement until they play some games for the Colts.I was initially disappointed after the draft, I couldn't understand the logic with the picks other than Luck and Fleener. Things worked out better than most could have hoped for.

I watched NFL network today and Pioli seemed floored by the money that Levitre got. They even mentioned that apparently Denver was really trying to land both Levitre and Vasquez.  Andrew Brandt had some comments on twitter in essence saying some of these "splash" guys today will be turn out to be busts in two years.

For what it is worth, I would be interested to hear Peter King's thoughts on why he thought the Colts would get player "X"& vs. the actual outcome of today. Anyway, I trust Grigson knows what he is doing based on what he has been able to accomplish. I know one thing, I sure don't miss the Polian days!

WHY ON EARTH DID THEY GET DONALD THOMAS?! HE'S THE SAME SIZE AS LEVITRE AND COMES FROM A ZONE BLOCKING SYSTEM. AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The Patriots changed to a power blocking scheme last season...and Thomas did very well at both LG and RG.

Here's a break down of it.....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1410041-breaking-down-the-new-england-patriots-revitalised-running-game

The Patriots changed to a power blocking scheme last season...and Thomas did very well at both LG and RG.

Here's a break down of it.....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1410041-breaking-down-the-new-england-patriots-revitalised-running-game

Yeah, I mentioned him in a few threads over the last month as someone who would be a great value pickup. He is versatile, has been solid whenever he got on the field, and I only saw positive comments from Pats fans.

excuse my ignorance what does meh mean

I'll take a stab at explaining it.

It means the exact same thing as "ehhhhh" or "eh" ( and not the canadian "eh" you might be thinking of! )

If that still doesn't help trying say it out loud and I think you will get it.

We need someone who can handle Delanie Walker, Marcedes Lewis and Owen Daniels. And my understanding is the main reason the Jets brought him in was to handle the AFC East Tight Ends.

I don't seem him playing much coverage, I think he will be given free reign to anticipate plays and kill anything that moves. I can seem him definitely affecting how TEs play though, as catching balls through the middle could result in a lot of pain for the receiver.

I don't care what he did in college he's been in a zone blocking scheme his entire NFL career and is too small for our system. Next.

Nothing of what you said proves he cant come here and have success! Size isnt everything by the way and it most likley wont be be what makes or brakes him. Give him a chance first then we can make accurate judgments.

Nice thread, Brian. I have so much appreciation for everything happening that I don't think I can get it all out at one time.

Basically, our leader, Mr. Irsay makes the decision to retool the Colts by letting go of 2/3 of the team and coaching staff, and hires a rookie GM to replace a future HOF front office guru. He then hires a rookie head coach who hires a defensive coach who changes the defensive scheme.

Rightly so, many picked us to win one or two games. Instead, we win 11 games and make it to the playoffs. Fast forward.

The team again lets go of a legend in Dfree and than in what I would consider a coup.....the Colts strike fast and wisely signing more players so quickly in FA that it makes our previous front office moves look pedestrian. In addition, it appears that they got great value, men that fit what the horseshoe on the helmet stands for, and did so while leaving room to breath in case of injury, and contractual needs for the future.

The arrow in Indiana is pointing straight up and I feel extremely blessed as a fan to have such an astute owner who rebuilt this on the fly and has some really bright people running the team now. I am profoundly giddy about today's events. No divas, no locker rooms destroyers, no overpaid vets, IMO.

Going to sleep with a big grin.....and we haven't even seen what the front office will pull out of the draft! Today the team served notice ............. the monster is growing.

Overall, I'm satisfied with today. Not stoked, but not massively disappointed, either.

While I know we have to wait to see how they'll turn out, there's more hits than misses with the available info we have to go on right now. It looks like we landed a few upgrades, which should give us flexibility come draft day. Yeah, I don't like the Walden signing and I'm not expecting much out of Sidbury, but no GM is going to ever bat 1.000. 

agreed..  Thomas is the best Guard on the team now as well... IMO

Walden, for all of the groaning about his reported contract, had more tackles in 2012 than Kruger has in his career, by a pretty wide margin.

The Colts got much better today... I'm not familiar with the terms of all of the contracts, though.. don't want to be hamstrung in the future...

Tackles are an overrated stat.  Gary was the king of running into a play late and getting that cheap half tackle all the time to pad his tackles.  What matters for an OLB is their pass rushing ability in the 3-4 and in his 369 pass rushes he only turned that into 23 QB disruptions. At that rate we should have just given the starting job to Hughes. The Walden signing is the only signing I dislike.

We definitely improved along the offensive line and that is the most important area and had to be the number one priority.  We have to protect the franchise because it does not matter how good our defense is if we have Luck sitting on the sideline hurt.

Once again just because you're butthurt over Levitre, you have no idea what you are talking about. Miami played a man scheme when he was there and NE played a man scheme last season. so he proved he could easily handle it, unlike Levitre. Not only that, but we didn't have to pay Thomas 8 mil. $ either.

I'm not loving any of the signings. A guard whoese knees may not hold up over 5 years, a CB who was injured and 3 bottom feeders. Is the Bill Polian 2 with being afraid to get good FA? All this case and scarpping the bottom of the barrell. All this money to use for productive players and wind up with 4 benchwarmers.

Once again just because you're butthurt over Levitre, you have no idea what you are talking about. Miami played a man scheme when he was there and NE played a man scheme last season. so he proved he could easily handle it, unlike Levitre. Not only that, but we didn't have to pay Thomas 8 mil. $ either.

LOLOL let him stew in his haterism and resulting warped reality.

FYI, Pioli just said we're the Day 1 Winner of free agency.

Yeah, I saw that. Football people see what we did and appreciate it (Polian included).

As fans we're way too ignorant and as a result, emotional. I think we were all like "wait, what?!" But now we have better access to information. And as a result can quickly catch up and see the intelligence behind these moves.

Basically, our leader, Mr. Irsay makes the decision to retool the Colts by letting go of 2/3 of the team and coaching staff, and hires a rookie GM to replace a future HOF front office guru. He then hires a rookie head coach who hires a defensive coach who changes the defensive scheme.

Well, he's not my leader. He's just a guy somewhere w/bank and some good personnel instincts.

He has made some very sound decisions though. I hope it continues.

I don't seem him playing much coverage, I think he will be given free reign to anticipate plays and kill anything that moves. I can seem him definitely affecting how TEs play though, as catching balls through the middle could result in a lot of pain for the receiver.

I do not know enough about how Safeties work in the Ravens defense so I can't really say. I do have some concerns regarding his health...and his perspective regarding medicine. But, we will see. It could be that we're using a Landry visit as motivation for Quintin Mikell and his agent to keep it real.

I watched NFL network today and Pioli seemed floored by the money that Levitre got. They even mentioned that apparently Denver was really trying to land both Levitre and Vasquez.  Andrew Brandt had some comments on twitter in essence saying some of these "splash" guys today will be turn out to be busts in two years.

Yep. I'm thinking Jeff Ireland has locked hiimself in his own casket with the nonsense spending the Dophins and their airhead owner did yesterday. I'm still uncertain on what to make of Elway and Denver. But they definitely overpaid for Levitre.

I am taking a wait and see attitude.  We signed 2 and 3 tier players and do not tell me about upgrades.  It was easy to upgrade out O-line as any one we brought in is an upgrade.  As for the Defensive players, one has no competition, as we have no ROLB on the roster.  One has trouble staying on the field and one can not get one the field.

So as I said, I will wait and see.

I'm not butthurt over Levitre at all, no way I would have wanted them to pay that much for him. Just thought I'd take a turn at being daft.