Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Possibly a "good chance" the Colts will sign free agent Cliff Avril.

4834.jpg

The Baltimore Sun's Aaron Wilson is hearing there's a "good chance" the Colts will sign free agent Cliff Avril.

Wilson acknowledges "nothing concrete yet." Our prediction on the top free-agent pass rushers at this point would be Paul Kruger to the Browns, Avril to the Colts, and Dwight Freeney to the Broncos, with Michael Bennett, Osi Umenyiora, and John Abraham still up in the air. Elvis Dumervil could soon join this market.
Mar 12 - 10:44 AM

I'd rather have Kruger than Avril, considering the money and the fit. Avril might be more explosive, but Kruger is better against the run and more interchangeable with Mathis at Sam/Rush spots. Avril is a nice consolation prize, though, so long as we don't have to break the bank for him. I saw someone on Twitter say six years, $54m. I think I could live with that.

4834.jpg

The Baltimore Sun's Aaron Wilson is hearing there's a "good chance" the Colts will sign free agent Cliff Avril.

Wilson acknowledges "nothing concrete yet." Our prediction on the top free-agent pass rushers at this point would be Paul Kruger to the Browns, Avril to the Colts, and Dwight Freeney to the Broncos, with Michael Bennett, Osi Umenyiora, and John Abraham still up in the air. Elvis Dumervil could soon join this market.
Mar 12 - 10:44 AM

Never been sold on John Abraham personally. Osi Umenyiora is always rehabing on a stationary bike. Elvis Dumervil probably wants too much money which leaves Cliff Avril for us. If Osi could stay healthy, I'd grab him immediately. Yes, I am biased when it comes to former NY Giants pass rushers. I will admit it. 

I'd rather have Kruger than Avril, considering the money and the fit. Avril might be more explosive, but Kruger is better against the run and more interchangeable with Mathis at Sam/Rush spots. Avril is a nice consolation prize, though, so long as we don't have to break the bank for him. I saw someone on Twitter say six years, $54m. I think I could live with that.

i disagree there...both suck vs the run

if you want a OLB who is good vs the run, then barwin is your pick but considering the low sack total last year i guess teams are hesitating

Wow, I don't. We need to add a couple of O-lineman too. The cap is supposed to go way up in 2015 so that shouldn't be a big concern right now.

We will need to re-sign Luck later, that is why I think we get the contract for Cliff Avril front loaded this year and next.

One thing I can safely say is we are getting a Freeney in his prime with Cliff Avril. Maybe he is bad vs the run but he will be stellar vs the pass. So, if Grigson, unlike Polian, takes care of the DL front, that will be less of an issue, IMO, I meant the run D. I dont care who you are, you need to rush the passer to beat the better teams like the Pats and Broncos, and even the Ravens in the playoffs to get to the SB.

We will need to re-sign Luck later, that is why I think we get the contract for Cliff Avril front loaded this year and next.

Luck still has 3 more yrs. with a 5th yr. team option though. We shouldn't worry about re-signing him already after just completing his rookie yr.. Plenty of time to worry about that stuff, not to mention Mathis, Reggie, and who ever else will be gone by then.

Who would that "tip" come from and who would it benefit? If I were an agent I'd find a way to leak that kind of information too. It only helps your client.

We won't know who we're interested in until we sign someone. After that we may hear who we missed on, for what that's worth.

Personally, I would give 8 million plus only to Olineman and any other position, build through the draft. 

As far as Avril, Kruger, etc. who are so-so against the run, is there really any OLB that is great at both pass rushing and run D?  Seems like its always one or the other.  If so, I think I'd rather have the pass rusher at that spot.

I'm not a big fan of Avril in general, and I don't think he'll do that well in this system in Indy.

He's never played in a 3-4 in the pros. I don't necessarily want a 4-3 guy switching to a 3-4. Plus, he's only a 10 sack guy, and he's nothing special.

If he does come to Indy, I pray they don't overpay for him.

i disagree there...both suck vs the run

if you want a OLB who is good vs the run, then barwin is your pick but considering the low sack total last year i guess teams are hesitating

This is weird to me. Kruger is very good against the run. People keep saying he's not, but I've watched every Ravens game from the past two seasons, lots of them specifically just to watch the linebackers. Kruger is a good run defender.

He's not going to toss his man out of the way and go get the ball carrier, and he's not going to push his man three yards into the backfield every down. But he is going to set the edge, and he's going to take the right angles. And if the play comes his way, he can shed his blocker and make the tackle, even in space. Not JJ Watt or Justin Smith, but more than adequate as a Sam/Rush backer in Pagano's system.

This is weird to me. Kruger is very good against the run. People keep saying he's not, but I've watched every Ravens game from the past two seasons, lots of them specifically just to watch the linebackers. Kruger is a good run defender.

He's not going to toss his man out of the way and go get the ball carrier, and he's not going to push his man three yards into the backfield every down. But he is going to set the edge, and he's going to take the right angles. And if the play comes his way, he can shed his blocker and make the tackle, even in space. Not JJ Watt or Justin Smith, but more than adequate as a Sam/Rush backer in Pagano's system.

Not to mention that he played with a weak link whenever Ray played the last couple years. I prefer him, but if Pags doesn't want to overpay him then we know he's not our guy. Coach knows those guys best.

I'm nervous if this is true. I thought he was a one-trick, rush the outside, speed DE that put up inflated numbers because of the great D-Line he had around him.

I wouldn't be too nervous.  One he is young and two he played in a hybrid 3-4/4-3 defense in college.  He's played outside linebacker before and 10 sacks as season is average.  You don't see as many 19 to 20 sack seasons as you've seen this past year.

True I'm just saying he's shooting up draft boards like crazy and there are some that have him being picked in the top 10.  Idk why so many of you are sold on Mingo and aren't talking about Ansah, which is really the same situation that we would be in with Mingo; hoping and praying he drops to us at 24 or into some reasonable range for us to trade up to get him.

Not to mention that he played with a weak link whenever Ray played the last couple years. I prefer him, but if Pags doesn't want to overpay him then we know he's not our guy. Coach knows those guys best.

Yeah, I'm good with letting him walk. I'm just not that excited about paying Avril instead, when he's really not that complete. I don't think he and Mathis would complement each other well in the hybrid. JMO. Coach knows best obviously.

I think I'd prefer a guy like Barwin or Barnes, and then prioritize a future hybrid rusher in the draft, to whatever extent is reasonable.

I guess we see thing differently...for whatever reason, mexican broadcaster broadcasted some ravens games... so i watched SOME games and disagree....thats ok though :)

He sat out a large amount of time in the Super Bowl in favor of Courtney Upshaw to stop the run, or so I have read.

Anything can happen on Draft day

You're right, anything can  happen.  But we can't pass on a guy in FA assuming that we'll be able to get an equally talented guy in the draft, especially not picking at #24.  Even if we pick up Avril, and Mingo does drop to us at #24 then by all means we can still take Mingo.  You can never have too many pass rushers. :)

He sat out a large amount of time in the Super Bowl in favor of Courtney Upshaw to stop the run, or so I have read.

That's what a lot of people keep saying, but I counter that it could also just as easily have been to keep Kruger fresh for the times when he would be rushing the passer.  Upshaw was a pretty good pass rusher in college, but most scouting reports projected him to have difficulty having the same success in the pros due to lack of pass rush moves.  So I think it's entirely possible that Kruger was subbed out to allow Upshaw to play the run because Kruger was far superior as a pass rusher, and not because Upshaw is the superior run defender. :)

That's what a lot of people keep saying, but I counter that it could also just as easily have been to keep Kruger fresh for the times when he would be rushing the passer.  Upshaw was a pretty good pass rusher in college, but most scouting reports projected him to have difficulty having the same success in the pros due to lack of pass rush moves.  So I think it's entirely possible that Kruger was subbed out to allow Upshaw to play the run because Kruger was far superior as a pass rusher, and not because Upshaw is the superior run defender. :)

Right, but he wasn't subbed out in any of the other playoff games. Only the one where they faced a power running team.

Right, but he wasn't subbed out in any of the other playoff games. Only the one where they faced a power running team.

He was. He's actually never been used as an every down player. He and Upshaw shared a lot of snaps, even when Suggs was out.