Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson F.A. Quotes From Colts.com

HarassedOffTheSite

Not a lot of meat on the bone but interesting all the same.

We’re not going to do anything fiscally (irresponsible) because I don’t want to end up being in cap straits,” said Grigson, who had an estimated $38 million in dead money in 2012 as opposed to a reported $44 million surplus today.  “We’ll be smart how we approach it.  We’re going to build this thing the right way.

I don’t have to try to rub two nickels together to find a key position,” said Grigson.  “Now, if there’s somebody that I really want that I feel is going to get (us) over the hump in a certain area, I could at least take a crack at him.

The guys that are in the twilight of their careers, if I’m going to look at those types of guys, they need to be pillar players.  They need to be the Cory Redding’s of the world,” said Grigson.  “Once you past a certain age, the human body doesn’t recuperate as fast.  Those guys that we entertain signing near the end of their career, they are going to be guys like the pillar guys that we have here, that can really teach the youth of this roster and also be very highly productive in their own right, still play at a Pro Bowl level.

The focus is the still the same,” said Grigson.  “It’s a bit different landscape, but it’s still the same mindset – (we’re) just trying to get better and stay within the vision of trying to win a Super Bowl.

I just seen on NFL network were now down to 37.5 mil. in available cap space. I guess they are figuring in our re-signings.

I believe this to be a conservative estimate; however, it sounds pretty close to accurate. This is why we can't be expecting more than 2 bigger level signings with a bunch of middling players rounding out the roster...

I believe this to be a conservative estimate; however, it sounds pretty close to accurate. This is why we can't be expecting more than 2 bigger level signings with a bunch of middling players rounding out the roster...

Yeah, I think so too unless they come much cheaper than we all expect. 10 mil. of that money disappeared fast for not getting much in return.

Yeah, I think so too unless they come much cheaper than we all expect. 10 mil. of that money disappeared fast for not getting much in return.

Isn't that the truth! It is uncanny how fast money can be spent haha. Seriously though, I would love to sign Avril and Vasquez, then pick up Geoff Schwartz for about 2-3 mil per year to fill in the other guard spot. Sign Cary Williams at a reasonable price. We can make a lot happen if we are responsible. 

And Bill Parcells & Polian have said you want to leave $10 Mill in "fudge money" on your books. So for all intents and purposes we're prolly at $27 Mill.

I think we could probably be OK leaving 7-8 mil. in the tank for in season moves that will need to be made, but their right. We don't have the funds to go ape (crap) in free agency like I think a lot of people are expecting. This is why I want to stay away from WR's and old FS's ( ;)). We have to fill other holes as much as possible before we even consider those type of moves.

And Bill Parcells & Polian have said you want to leave $10 Mill in "fudge money" on your books. So for all intents and purposes we're prolly at $27 Mill.

yes, i loved watching that show!!! that's why they are two of the best and some of the other former gm's that are portrayed as "experts" are complete jokes.

I think we could probably be OK leaving 7-8 mil. in the tank for in season moves that will need to be made, but their right. We don't have the funds to go ape (crap) in free agency like I think a lot of people are expecting. This is why I want to stay away from WR's and old FS's ( ;)). We have to fill other holes as much as possible before we even consider those type of moves.

everything was included in that 10 million, draft and in season moves.

yes, i loved watching that show!!! that's why they are two of the best and some of the other former gm's that are portrayed as "experts" are complete jokes.

Amen! If the brass hats at espn were smart (LOLOL  :lol:  LOLOL) they'd immediately create a 1/2 hour show with those two guys sitting around a fireplace just rambling on about the business of football....................WITH NO FRIGGIN TREY WINGO STEPPING ON THEIR TOES!!!

Don't get your hopes up

As one of the bigger players in FA I'm getting my hopes up that by this evening we'll be hearing a name if not two. GM's have already been able to talk to agents so much of the initial work for the main focus of players is already under way.

OL is a must. All other signings are gravy for me.

I expect it by sometime tomorrow. But i don't think its gonna happen at four oclcck today.

Probably not right at 4, but I think we'll announce at least 1 tonight and hopefully 2. I just hope we have Vasquez pretty much onboard already. Other signings will be alright, but I'm praying that O-lineman are our main focus.

I saw the Redskins just had to release DeAngelo Hall in an unexpected cap move.  I see him as a viable veteran that still has quite a bit of gas in the tank.  He'd be expensive, but probably not as much as Reed/Revis.  Would more than fill the Powers hole likely to be left.

the first major FA move last year happened just 4 mins after 4pm. So its very possible that alot can happen on day 1. i expect us to either sign Long or Vasquez today

If it's against the tampering rules to have a contract I'm place before 4pm, how can a deal be done 4 minutes in?

If it's against the tampering rules to have a contract I'm place before 4pm, how can a deal be done 4 minutes in?

Dont ask me dude but it was. So dont act like nothings gonna happen lol there is alot of big names out there and teams are gonna be in a hurry to scoop them up being nervous about other teams beating them to em.

Tampering happens every yr.. This yr. they were able to negotiate but not agree to terms. In theory they could have negotiated everything and wait till 4:00 to actually agree.

How could deals be announced at 12:01 last year?

The NFL's goal with this legal tampering period is to move toward something like college football's national signing day, where big NFL news takes over the airwaves all day. I think we'll see more steps toward this next season. And maybe deals aren't announced right away, but I don't think it will take long before we start hearing about "agreement in principle" for some of these players.

the first major FA move last year happened just 4 mins after 4pm. So its very possible that alot can happen on day 1. i expect us to either sign Long or Vasquez today

Yeah. And this was our old friend Pierre Garcon signing with the Redskins. I wondered how they got away with that.

Tampering happens every yr.. This yr. they were able to negotiate but not agree to terms. In theory they could have negotiated everything and wait till 4:00 to actually agree.

What is the operational definition of agree to terms??

Because I'm guessing that could easily be defined as signing an actual contract.  

If you can negotiate, then you and can come to a verbal agreement to terms.  You probably just can't sign it or print it out until after 4 pm.  

And until it's in print and signed it doesn't prevent either side from backing out of the agreement.

What is the operational definition of agree to terms??

Because I'm guessing that could easily be defined as signing an actual contract.  

If you can negotiate, then you and can come to a verbal agreement to terms.  You probably just can't sign it or print it out until after 4 pm.  

Technically they weren't even allowed to come to terms, but what's to keep a team from agreeing on everything in a contract but 1 little detail that can be worked out in a minute or 2? Really the league won't be able to do anything about it because there is just no way of proving anything.

Technically they weren't even allowed to come to terms, but what's to keep a team from agreeing on everything in a contract but 1 little detail that can be worked out in a minute or 2? Really the league won't be able to do anything about it because there is just no way of proving anything.

Don't even have to do that.  Just agree to everything verbally over the phone and don't announce anything til afterwards.  

League can't prove anything unless they are tapping the GM's phones.