Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rank QB's / Elite QB's (merge)

ÅÐØNϧ 1

I admit Eli and Flacco take a game or two off here and there.  But they rarely throw bunches of picks and fumble huge games away either, allowing their winns to pile up Wins are important too.  It's how the the SB is won. And I hear Flacco has more playoff wins since 2008 than Brady. Manning, Brees, and Roethlisberger.  All of them.  The SB and HOF kings on peoples lists.  You can, but I cannot dismiss that.

Rodgers is still on the outside looking in, but only career ending injury keeps him out.  The others are in already, even Brees.

Well, I'm not so sure that carries water either.  We are talking all QB's of the league, so we are also talking all sports cars.  If I go and I get this list-

Nissan GT-R
Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZR1

but I complain I was looking at only these-

Ferrari 458 Spider
Bugatti Veyron Super Sport
Lamborghini Aventador
Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren
Aston Martin One-77
Porsce 911 Turbo S
Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4SV
Saleen S7 Twin-Turbo

And he tells me to look up the Nissan GT-R numbers in comparison to all of those and anymore I care to drum up, and then take it for a spin, I just might be swayed.

The QB is the most important spot these days, and the best of All QB's are taken every year hoping to get up echelon NFL QB.  We are talking best of the best college QB's every year.  Those upper 8 NFL QB's are indeed elite.  * out of the whole world!  and only 32 spots. And yet taking the best of the best college QB's ever year and some teams still have clunkers at the position.  They want a winner, no matter whether it is Italian wrapped in Ferrari Red or a flat black Nissan GT-R.

Andrew Luck has less than stellar numbers, but has wins. I'm good with that.  I think many here aren't happy unless there are bulging stat lines though.  IMHO, if you're winning, and not putting up huge numbers, then you are putting up the right numbers.

Now THIS is what I call and analogy!!!!  Good post!!  :)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get what you are saying too.  but to me, your Elite is my my 'Sure Fire Hall of Fame'.  I feel a player in any sport can be elite for a span, yet not accrue the credentials over a career to be HOF.  Flacco and E. Manning are definitely elite to me in that vein, and they may still accrue the credentials to make the HOF down the road.  

John Clayton has a HOF vote and has been around football forever and he;s liked Flacco since 2008. I guess my beef with Eli and Flacco are that their teams are so good that at times, they go cold, often because their team is carrying the day and they don't have to.  So they aren't consistent even though at the end of the day, their numbers add up. So, I still include them, especially while they pile up playoff wins (especially on the road) and Super Bowl victories and MVP's.  How can I not?

Elite is being great and a game-changer for a consistent basis over a career. Otherwise it is just 'very good' or 'not consistent enough', in both Eli and Flacco's cases, postseason success aside. They may indeed do what it takes to make the Hall of Fame, but I would count on Eli more than Flacco in that department. I mean, Sanchez was winning in the playoffs...he went to two AFC Championship Games in a row...but he is not elite in any sense of the word. Flacco is playing good right now but if he drops in production like he usually does next year then it just shows how inconsistent he is rather than elite.

I am not one to say Jim Caldwell is exceptional at anything other than being a great person, but letting Flacco throw the ball 40+ yards with those 'bigs' was what Joe needed.  I never was a Cam Cameron fan at all.  I think he held Flacco back.  I once again HAVE to say....I am NOT a Flacco fan!!!

Agree on Cameron....I wanted to vomit when posters brought his name up as a possible replacement for Arians.

Elite is being great and a game-changer for a consistent basis over a career. Otherwise it is just 'very good' or 'not consistent enough', in both Eli and Flacco's cases, postseason success aside. They may indeed do what it takes to make the Hall of Fame, but I would count on Eli more than Flacco in that department. I mean, Sanchez was winning in the playoffs...he went to two AFC Championship Games in a row...but he is not elite in any sense of the word. Flacco is playing good right now but if he drops in production like he usually does next year then it just shows how inconsistent he is rather than elite.

Well, it will have to be an epic fail, because I predict Flacco to get 5 years, $100-109 million now.  Blinky (so happy he landed on his feet!) will turn the Ravens into a bit more of a passing team as they reload on D.  Just my feelings.  And nobody has had better post season success the last 5 years of the big guns, except maybe E. Manning. I haven't compared his numbers yet (which very well could be better if memory serves!).  But by and large, people group him just above Flacco, and no higher anyway...  but ironic if it is just as productive or even more so as Flacco's.

That is your definition. I didn't know elite had to be time tested over a career-

e·lite or é·lite  (ibreve.gif-lemacr.giftprime.gifamacr.gif-lemacr.giftprime.gif)

n. pl. elite or e·lites
a. A group or class of persons or a member of such a group or class, enjoying superior intellectual, social, or economic status: "In addition to notions of social equality there was much emphasis on the role of elites and of heroes within them" (Times Literary Supplement).
b. The best or most skilled members of a group: the football team's elite.

Seems to me if I win Power Ball, and then buy into exclusive area and hang with big wigs, I can become elite in short order, yes?  Just saying...

Well, it will have to be an epic fail, because I predict Flacco to get 5 years, $100-109 million now.  Blinky (so happy he landed on his feet!) will turn the Ravens into a bit more of a passing team as they reload on D.  Just my feelings.  And nobody has had better post season success the last 5 years of the big guns, except maybe E. Manning. I haven't compared his numbers yet (which very well could be better if memory serves!).  But by and large, people group him just above Flacco, and no higher anyway...  but ironic if it is just as productive or even more so as Flacco's.

That is your definition. I didn't know elite had to be time tested over a career-

e·lite or é·lite  (ibreve.gif-lemacr.giftprime.gifamacr.gif-lemacr.giftprime.gif)

n. pl. elite or e·lites
a. A group or class of persons or a member of such a group or class, enjoying superior intellectual, social, or economic status: "In addition to notions of social equality there was much emphasis on the role of elites and of heroes within them" (Times Literary Supplement).

Seems to me if I win Power Ball, and then buy into exclusive area and hang with big wigs, I can become elite in short order, yes?  Just saying...

Exactly...There are 32 quarterbacks in the NFL...let's say 7 different QBs win the Super Bowl over the next seven years, and each continues playing very highly throughout the regular season. Are they all elite now? Elite is the best or most skilled...There is a reason why names like Brady and Manning pop up. They are different than the others, they are better. Everyone can't be elite or the word has no meaning anymore.

Great - Brady, Brees, PeyPey, Ben, Rodgers

Good - Flacco, Luck, RG3, Eli, Ryan

Average - Dalton, Schaub, Cam, Romo, Cutler, Kaperknuckle, Wilson, Smith

Below Average - Tannehill, Fitzpatrick, Weeden, Rivers, Palmer, Ponder, Stafford, Freeman

Bad - Locker, Voles/Fick, Bradford

Disgustingly Awful - Gabbert, Cassel, Kolblindleyskelton

Mohamed Sanu

Traffic Cone

A Doorknob

Mark Sanchez

Exactly...There are 32 quarterbacks in the NFL...let's say 7 different QBs win the Super Bowl over the next seven years, and each continues playing very highly throughout the regular season. Are they all elite now? Elite is the best or most skilled...There is a reason why names like Brady and Manning pop up. They are different than the others, they are better. Everyone can't be elite or the word has no meaning anymore.

I know, to you elite is another way of saying Hall of Fame. I get it.  It isn't to me, they are two separate words with slightly different meanings.  So we'll just disagree.

Besides, all 7 can't have the best or next best playoff record over the last 5-6 years...  I't a combo of wins, playoff record, and numbers.  And I can pull up clunker games even for the best of the best.  but Eli and Flacco qualify under my standards.

I know, to you elite is another way of saying Hall of Fame. I get it.  It isn't to me, they are two separate words with slightly different meanings.  So we'll just disagree.

Besides, all 7 can't have the best or next best playoff record over the last 5-6 years...  I't a combo of wins, playoff record, and numbers.  And I can pull up clunker games even for the best of the best.  but Eli and Flacco qualify under my standards.

I'm not saying elite has to mean Hall of Fame. Not at all. Rodgers is elite but if he retired today...do you honestly think he would get to the Hall of Fame? No, not at all. Yes, we will just have to disagree.

I admit Eli and Flacco take a game or two off here and there.  But they rarely throw bunches of picks and fumble huge games away either, allowing their winns to pile up Wins are important too.  It's how the the SB is won. And I hear Flacco has more playoff wins since 2008 than Brady. Manning, Brees, and Roethlisberger.  All of them.  

And again, that's the language I object to. The proper expression is that the Ravens have more playoffs wins than the Pats, Colts/Broncos, Saints and Steelers. Unless you really believe that Flacco is the catalyst behind every playoff win the Ravens have had since 2008.

Well, I'm not so sure that carries water either.  We are talking all QB's of the league, so we are also talking all sports cars.  If I go and I get this list-

Nissan GT-R
Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZR1

but I complain I was looking at only these-

Ferrari 458 Spider
Bugatti Veyron Super Sport
Lamborghini Aventador
Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren
Aston Martin One-77
Porsce 911 Turbo S
Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4SV
Saleen S7 Twin-Turbo

And he tells me to look up the Nissan GT-R numbers in comparison to all of those and anymore I care to drum up, and then take it for a spin, I just might be swayed.

Do you think Flacco has comparable numbers to the top four quarterbacks in the league? I do not. To me, the GT-R is Aaron Rodgers, the more affordable top notch option, but the performance is right up there with the rest. Joe Flacco is more affordable, but his performance -- outside of this year's playoffs -- doesn't compare with the players ahead of him. There is a clear separation.

The QB is the most important spot these days, and the best of All QB's are taken every year hoping to get up echelon NFL QB.  We are talking best of the best college QB's every year.  Those upper 8 NFL QB's are indeed elite.  * out of the whole world!  and only 32 spots. And yet taking the best of the best college QB's ever year and some teams still have clunkers at the position.  They want a winner, no matter whether it is Italian wrapped in Ferrari Red or a flat black Nissan GT-R.

Andrew Luck has less than stellar numbers, but has wins. I'm good with that.  I think many here aren't happy unless there are bulging stat lines though.  IMHO, if you're winning, and not putting up huge numbers, then you are putting up the right numbers.

No, we're not comparing NFL quarterbacks to every other quarterback in the world, just like we're not comparing the GT-R to a $30,000 C Class. We're comparing it to an SLR.

If you're an NFL quarterback, you have accomplished something special. But now, we're separating those 30 or so NFL quarterbacks based on their abilities and production, and there's a difference between #1 and #30. Don't try to sell me a second tier player on the basis that he's good enough to be in the NFL. No sir, that's not the discussion we're having. We're talking about the best of the best -- the elite.

And no, it's not about bulging stat lines. But production does matter. When one player has shown the ability to carry his team every year, and that's evident in the stats, I'm not going to dismiss his production. Wins matter as well, which is part of the reason I think there's a difference between Cam Newton/Sam Bradford and Luck/Griffin/Wilson/Kaepernick. But just because your team wins, that doesn't mean you're a better quarterback than someone whose team isn't winning/hasn't won, which is why I can also think Matthew Stafford is better than Andy Dalton or Alex Smith.

I don't think the argument is reduced to winning vs. stats. That's not high level scrutiny. I think Eli, Ben and Matt Ryan have much better numbers than Flacco, but with his recent playoff run, he's earned his way into that discussion. I still have him slightly behind those three, but in the same bracket.

You can get by and even win a Super Bowl without having one of the top quarterbacks in the league; the Ravens just proved that. If you want a solid performer with some utility to it, you go and by an Audi S6 or a BMW M5. But that's not a GT-R or an SLR. It's not in the same category. There is a clear distinction between the two classes of automobile. And there's a clear distinction between a second-tier quarterback like Flacco (or Eli, or Ben, or Matt Ryan) and the truly elite guys ahead of them.

And again, that's the language I object to. The proper expression is that the Ravens have more playoffs wins than the Pats, Colts/Broncos, Saints and Steelers. Unless you really believe that Flacco is the catalyst behind every playoff win the Ravens have had since 2008.

Do you think Flacco has comparable numbers to the top four quarterbacks in the league? I do not. To me, the GT-R is Aaron Rodgers, the more affordable top notch option, but the performance is right up there with the rest. Joe Flacco is more affordable, but his performance -- outside of this year's playoffs -- doesn't compare with the players ahead of him. There is a clear separation.

No, we're not comparing NFL quarterbacks to every other quarterback in the world, just like we're not comparing the GT-R to a $30,000 C Class. We're comparing it to an SLR.

If you're an NFL quarterback, you have accomplished something special. But now, we're separating those 30 or so NFL quarterbacks based on their abilities and production, and there's a difference between #1 and #30. Don't try to sell me a second tier player on the basis that he's good enough to be in the NFL. No sir, that's not the discussion we're having. We're talking about the best of the best -- the elite.

And no, it's not about bulging stat lines. But production does matter. When one player has shown the ability to carry his team every year, and that's evident in the stats, I'm not going to dismiss his production. Wins matter as well, which is part of the reason I think there's a difference between Cam Newton/Sam Bradford and Luck/Griffin/Wilson/Kaepernick. But just because your team wins, that doesn't mean you're a better quarterback than someone whose team isn't winning/hasn't won, which is why I can also think Matthew Stafford is better than Andy Dalton or Alex Smith.

I don't think the argument is reduced to winning vs. stats. That's not high level scrutiny. I think Eli, Ben and Matt Ryan have much better numbers than Flacco, but with his recent playoff run, he's earned his way into that discussion. I still have him slightly behind those three, but in the same bracket.

You can get by and even win a Super Bowl without having one of the top quarterbacks in the league; the Ravens just proved that. If you want a solid performer with some utility to it, you go and by an Audi S6 or a BMW M5. But that's not a GT-R or an SLR. It's not in the same category. There is a clear distinction between the two classes of automobile. And there's a clear distinction between a second-tier quarterback like Flacco (or Eli, or Ben, or Matt Ryan) and the truly elite guys ahead of them.

Exactly which numbers?  Oh well, Flacco will be paid Uber elite- Clayton and Mortensen agree.  I think Baltimore opens up the and Flacco has a chance to prove he's worth this huge payday.

http://www.yardbarker.com/all_sports/articles/mort_agrees_with_clayton_that_joe_flacco_could_get_20_million_per_season/12777007

I am one that feels the QB and baseball pitcher are similar.  They are the only players that get credit for wins, even if teammates actually won the game at times.  Each touches the ball every other time/posession. They direct the team.  They're the most involved.  and this is post season win numbers over a career-

Overall Post Season record - career  (for Quizboy!)

Joe Flacco
Playoff record: 9-4

Eli Manning
Playoff record: 8-3

Ben Roethlisberger
Playoff record: 10-4

Tom Brady
Playoff record: 17-7

Peyton Manning
Playoff record: 9-11

Aaron Rodgers
Playoff record: 5-3

Drew Brees
Playoff record: 5-4

Matt Ryan
Playoff record: 1-4

Philip Rivers
Playoff record: 3-4

Tony Romo
Playoff record: 1-3

Retired folks:

Kurt Warner

Brett Favre
Playoff record: 13-11

Terry Bradshaw
Playoff record: 14-5

Joe Montana
Playoff record: 16-7

Steve Young
Playoff record: 8-6

Troy Aikman
Playoff record: 11-4

John Elway
Playoff record: 14-7

Jim Kelly
Playoff record: 9-8

I see nothing that makes Eli or Joe look lees than elite here. Even over there whole career.  I say, if you're winning and not putting up huge numbers, then you are putting up the right numbers.

Exactly which numbers?  Oh well, Flacco will be paid Uber elite- Clayton and Mortensen agree.  I think Baltimore opens up the and Flacco has a chance to prove he's worth this huge payday.

I see nothing that makes Eli or Joe look lees than elite here. Even over there whole career.  I say, if you're winning and not putting up huge numbers, then you are putting up the right numbers.

I don't disagree with any of this. Flacco is doing his job, especially over the course of his last five playoff games. And over the past couple of weeks, I've wrapped my mind around the idea that Flacco is probably going to be the highest paid player in the league. I don't think he should be, because I don't think he's near the best at his position, and I don't think his value in the open market would support his demands. But it's probably going to happen.

But to the bolded, I'll say again, I'm not interested in reducing this discussion to stats vs. wins. Especially not playoff wins. I think if you compare the Ravens win against the Patriots in 2009 to their loss against the Patriots in 2011, you get a perfect example of why I don't believe in a straight-up stats vs. wins discussion. It's lazy and uninformed.

To speak to your comparison of pitchers and quarterbacks, I agree that they are generally the most important players on their teams. I don't agree that judging them by wins is a good idea. Some pitchers get terrible run support, but have great ERAs and opponent OBP, while pitching a ton of innings. Some guys suffer from an awful bullpen. Others get great run support and get bailed out by the offense. But is the guy with a 20-win season automatically better than the guy who is 13-5 with 20 no decisions? Shouldn't we dig deeper on this?

I don't have any issue with the role Flacco plays for the Ravens. He plays it well, especially over the past season. But there are major holes in his candidacy for "elite" status at this point.

http://www.yardbarker.com/all_sports/articles/mort_agrees_with_clayton_that_joe_flacco_could_get_20_million_per_season/12777007

I am one that feels the QB and baseball pitcher are similar.  They are the only players that get credit for wins, even if teammates actually won the game at times.  Each touches the ball every other time/posession. They direct the team.  They're the most involved.  and this is post season win numbers over a career-

Overall Post Season record - career  (for Quizboy!)

Joe Flacco

Eli Manning

Playoff record: 8-3

Ben Roethlisberger

Playoff record: 10-4

Tom Brady

Playoff record: 17-7

Peyton Manning

Playoff record: 9-11

Aaron Rodgers

Playoff record: 5-3

Drew Brees

Playoff record: 5-4

Matt Ryan

Playoff record: 1-4

Philip Rivers

Playoff record: 3-4

Tony Romo

Playoff record: 1-3

Retired folks:

Kurt Warner

Brett Favre

Playoff record: 13-11

Terry Bradshaw

Playoff record: 14-5

Joe Montana

Playoff record: 16-7

Steve Young

Playoff record: 8-6

Troy Aikman

Playoff record: 11-4

John Elway

Playoff record: 14-7

Jim Kelly

Playoff record: 9-8

U post a list as though football is tennis.

"You make your money in the regular season, you make your legacy in the postseason" John Elway.

Teams can lose even if their QB plays well and teams can win despite poor play from their QB. It's not like every team is made up of equal talent, equal coordinators, and are just assigned a QB.

Teams can lose even if their QB plays well and teams can win despite poor play from their QB. It's not like every team is made up of equal talent, equal coordinators, and are just assigned a QB.

Same for baseball pitchers. Doesn't matter. W's.  It's how they, and QB's get judged in the end.

Elite

1.Peyton

2.Brady

3.Rodgers

4.Brees

2nd Tier

1.Roethlisberger

2.Flacco

3.Schaub

4.Eli Manning

3rd Tier

1.Cutler

2.Rivers

3.Dalton

4.Romo

5.Ryan

4th Tier

1.Robert Griffin

2.Stafford

3.Luck

4.Wilson

5.Newton

5th Tier

1.Bradford

2.Fitzpatrick

3.Josh Freeman

4.Palmer

5.Kaepernick

6.Alex Smith

6th Tier

1.Locker

2.Tannehill

3.Weeden

4.Gabbert

5.Kolb/Skelton

Elite

1.Peyton

2.Brady

3.Rodgers

4.Brees

2nd Tier

1.Roethlisberger

2.Flacco

3.Schaub

4.Eli Manning

3rd Tier

1.Cutler

2.Rivers

3.Dalton

4.Romo

5.Ryan

4th Tier

1.Robert Griffin

2.Stafford

3.Luck

4.Wilson

5.Newton

5th Tier

1.Bradford

2.Fitzpatrick

3.Josh Freeman

4.Palmer

5.Kaepernick

6.Alex Smith

6th Tier

1.Locker

2.Tannehill

3.Weeden

4.Gabbert

5.Kolb/Skelton

Why rank Schaub above Ryan?

I don't drive, never have and never will. So this is possibly the worst post I've ever read.

My post or his  :funny: ???

If his, it was a nice analogy whether you have driven or ridden a double decker all of your life :)

If mine, I was writing that it was a unique post....I enjoyed reading it....there I said it.  :)

BTW, I prefer the new wave of bus to the old........ haha

1-london-double-decker-bus-1289576741.jp

And that's the height of absurdity.

Dan Marino agrees with you.  Possibly with just one SB win, he'd quite likely be considered the GOAT.  But no SB wins and he's never mentioned, only how very good he was. And Peyton is tarnished as a post season QB., but great in regular season.  At least he got a ring...

Great - Brady, Brees, PeyPey, Ben, Rodgers

Good - Flacco, Luck, RG3, Eli, Ryan

Average - Dalton, Schaub, Cam, Romo, Cutler, Kaperknuckle, Wilson, Smith

Below Average - Tannehill, Fitzpatrick, Weeden, Rivers, Palmer, Ponder, Stafford, Freeman

Bad - Locker, Voles/Fick, Bradford

Disgustingly Awful - Gabbert, Cassel, Kolblindleyskelton

Mohamed Sanu

Traffic Cone

A Doorknob

Mark Sanchez

Is it an eye-test or Tebow is really missing Your list??? :D

n. pl. elite or e·lites

In the NFL the skills needed to be Elite can't be compared to a lottery ticket . My friend won the first Hoosier lottery & then spent alot of money trying to recreate that elite feeling  mentally & monetarily it did'nt happen he went broke & lost everything . Then met a women who had lots of money they now live in Hawaii  last I heard, does that make him ELITE ??? Elite no  . Hero maybe .

No just the luckiest dude I ever met . When judging Elite status of an NFL QB many categories are required to separate the Good the Bad & the Ugly .  the definition of the word elite 1 a-b does'nt work when applied , I can only say for the sake of argument there should be a C for the NFL QB's .  Or a different listing entirely the Elite QB not to be confused with the powerball winner, who lucks into a winner enjoying feeling superior intellectual, economicly & socially Who  is buying his way into a club that you may not want to belong with others who laugh when you tell them about the Eagles Dream Team & Haynesworth as a Redskin, people thinking you can buy elite no elite is not for sale .

While there is no clear definition of what makes a quarterback “elite,”

the research gurus here at NFL.com compiled statistics for every current

starting quarterback in the NFL to see who rose to the top in several

marquee categories.

I like my Colts & Andrew Luck if elite means you did good in 2 categories than he is elite . I think a reread of the linked article is required.

:blueshoe:

In the NFL the skills needed to be Elite can't be compared to a lottery ticket . My friend won the first Hoosier lottery & then spent alot of money trying to recreate that elite feeling mentally & monetarily it did'nt happen he went broke & lost everything . Then met a women who had lots of money they now live in Hawaii last I heard, does that make him ELITE ??? Elite no . Hero maybe .

No just the luckiest dude I ever met . When judging Elite status of an NFL QB many categories are required to separate the Good the Bad & the Ugly . the definition of the word elite 1 a-b does'nt work when applied , I can only say for the sake of argument there should be a C for the NFL QB's . Or a different listing entirely the Elite QB not to be confused with the powerball winner, who lucks into a winner enjoying feeling superior intellectual, economicly & socially Who is buying his way into a club that you may not want to belong with others who laugh when you tell them about the Eagles Dream Team & Haynesworth as a Redskin, people thinking you can buy elite no elite is not for sale .

While there is no clear definition of what makes a quarterback “elite,”
the research gurus here at NFL.com compiled statistics for every current
starting quarterback in the NFL to see who rose to the top in several
marquee categories.

I like my Colts & Andrew Luck if elite means you did good in 2 categories than he is elite . I think a reread of the linked article is required.
:blueshoe:

The only thing my post was to point out, there are many definitions of Elite, even in a dictionary. People choose what particular level or variatioons of the definitions to set their bar. John Clayton felt Flacco was elite before the 2011 and 2012 seasons, where Raven almost made the SB, and then won the SB.

quote-
“I’ll stand by the fact that as many playoff games that he’s won on the road, this guy is an elite quarterback.”

from here- http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2011/02/25/clayton-bashed-for-saying-flaccos-elite/

Yes, the Professor John Clayton feels that a dozen of the NFL starting QB's are elite. I only feel 8. Many here only 3 or 4. It's not well defined.

So people will have differing opinions on what makes a QB elite. It's opinion based. It's fine. we discuss why we feel one way or another. It's OK. I just feel that many are too hard. To me, I see that if you are HOF candidate or solidly on that path, at or near the end of your career, you aren't elite. That's a tough standard, but one people get to have. I think the 32 QB's are the best of the best and that more than just the top 4 can be elite. When Brady and Manning hang them up, who will replace them?

The only thing my post was to point out, there are many definitions of Elite, even in a dictionary. People choose what particular level or variatioons of the definitions to set their bar. John Clayton felt Flacco was elite before the 2011 and 2012 seasons, where Raven almost made the SB, and then won the SB.

quote-

“I’ll stand by the fact that as many playoff games that he’s won on the road, this guy is an elite quarterback.”

from here- http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2011/02/25/clayton-bashed-for-saying-flaccos-elite/

Yes, the Professor John Clayton feels that a dozen of the NFL starting QB's are elite. I only feel 8. Many here only 3 or 4. It's not well defined.

So people will have differing opinions on what makes a QB elite. It's opinion based. It's fine. we discuss why we feel one way or another. It's OK. I just feel that many are too hard. To me, I see that if you are HOF candidate or solidly on that path, at or near the end of your career, you aren't elite. That's a tough standard, but one people get to have. I think the 32 QB's are the best of the best and that more than just the top 4 can be elite. When Brady and Manning hang them up, who will replace them?

I  agree  that's what led me to that link in the first place . Taking my inner Homer out of the equation & allowing myself the opportunity to learn from another's perspective . Which is there are many categories that must be considered when it comes to an Elite QB . The cream rises to the top  .

Manning - Brady   Luck - RG3   Wilson- Kaepernick    Charlie Brown - Mark Sanchez

There are only 2 quarter backs that can be called Elite right now. Manning and Brady. Others like Rodgers and Brees, with time and more good mileage could be elite.

The rest, tier them out however you'd like. They just arent even close to being Elite... yet.

I see Luck and Wilson topping the charts in years to come. RG3 will be an after thought IMO. His injuries will start to take a toll. This is just an opinion.

Elite - Brees, Brady, P. Manning, Rodgers

These guys are the cream of the crop and bring it every week.  You give these guys a little help and you are going to win a title almost guaranteed.

Really really good - Flacco, E. Manning, Ryan, Big Ben

These guys are a notch below the elite group, but they are great QBs in this league and with some help they can win you a title.  They are at times inconsistent and do not bring each week like the elite guys, but if they are your QB your future is bright.

Could be elite - Newton, RG3, Luck, Wilson, Stafford, and Kapernick

These guys I think can make that jump to really really good or even elite depending on how they develop.  Guys like RG3, Wilson, and Kap really need to tone the running down and develop more in the pocket to just stay healthy.  Their running ability will become even more dynamic if they develop even more as a pure passer.  Luck needs to work on his accuracy big time and needs to make better decisions.  Newton has the tools to be elite, but does he have it between his ears?

Solid - Schaub, Rivers, Romo, Cutler

These guys are not bad QBs at all.  They are really solid QBs in the league and even at times look great out there.  These guys are not going to win you a title and you will need another part of the team to carry you like your defense or running game.  They will not totally screw it up though.

Hmmmm - Tannehill, Dalton, Weeden, Locker, Freeman

I really do not know about these guys.  At times they look like they can be top level QBs, but then other times they just crap all over themselves. 

You are not winning - Fitzpatrick , Sanchez, Lewis, Gabbart, Quinn, Palmer, Vick, Ponder

If these guys are your QBs sorry fans you are not winning in the league.

quote-

I think the word "elite" is well defined. I just think some people -- particularly John Clayton -- are ignoring the meaning of the word.

And again with the "as many road playoff games as he's won" argument. When Clayton made that comment two years ago, Flacco was a passenger on the Ravens Express, including the 4/10, 34 yards and one pick game, on the road, to beat the Patriots. Flacco didn't win that game, and it's bogus that he gets credit for winning it.

Elite - Brees, Brady, P. Manning, Rodgers

These guys are the cream of the crop and bring it every week.  You give these guys a little help and you are going to win a title almost guaranteed.

Really really good - Flacco, E. Manning, Ryan, Big Ben

These guys are a notch below the elite group, but they are great QBs in this league and with some help they can win you a title.  They are at times inconsistent and do not bring each week like the elite guys, but if they are your QB your future is bright.

Could be elite - Newton, RG3, Luck, Wilson, Stafford, and Kapernick

These guys I think can make that jump to really really good or even elite depending on how they develop.  Guys like RG3, Wilson, and Kap really need to tone the running down and develop more in the pocket to just stay healthy.  Their running ability will become even more dynamic if they develop even more as a pure passer.  Luck needs to work on his accuracy big time and needs to make better decisions.  Newton has the tools to be elite, but does he have it between his ears?

Solid - Schaub, Rivers, Romo, Cutler

These guys are not bad QBs at all.  They are really solid QBs in the league and even at times look great out there.  These guys are not going to win you a title and you will need another part of the team to carry you like your defense or running game.  They will not totally screw it up though.

Hmmmm - Tannehill, Dalton, Weeden, Locker, Freeman

I really do not know about these guys.  At times they look like they can be top level QBs, but then other times they just crap all over themselves. 

You are not winning - Fitzpatrick , Sanchez, Lewis, Gabbart, Quinn, Palmer, Vick, Ponder

If these guys are your QBs sorry fans you are not winning in the league.

Where is Bradford?