Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jamey Richard Cut, Seth Olsen Signed

NM_Colts

Overview

Nationally underrated, Olsen leaves Iowa as a first-team All-Big Ten selection and a rising prospect on NFL boards due to his size, strength, durability and versatility. A four-year contributor, Olsen started each of the past two seasons, primarily on the right side of the line, but also seeing some action at left tackle.

He was first-team All-Big Ten selection by the media and coaches while primarily at right guard in 2008 after garnering honorable mention honors at right tackle as a junior. A strong showing throughout the week at the East-West Shrine Game might have secured Olsen's place as a second-day draft selection. Had an arm span of 33 1/8 inches and a hand span of 9 1/2 inches at the combine.

Analysis

Positives: Naturally large man with good weight distribution. Good initial quickness off the snap. Very good hand placement and upper-body strength. Seems to enjoy the physical hand-to-hand combat inside the trenches. Good strength to latch onto the defender, turn and either sustain his position or toss the defender onto ground for a pancake block. Underrated short-area lateral quickness and balance to hold up in pass protection. Plays with good leverage despite his height. Versatile blocker who has started at right guard, right tackle and left tackle over the past two years. Impressive week of practice at the East-West Shrine game.

Negatives: Strong and technically refined, but isn't an elite athlete. Only phone-booth quickness. Struggles adjusting in space at the second level. Lumbers after a few steps and is forced to lunge at defenders. Lacks the deep kick-step and elite lateral quickness to handle the left tackle position, though he has experience there. May struggle on the outside at right tackle.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/seth-olsen?id=81859

only problem is.......do we put him in at LG or RG if it's RG then diem moves back to RT......i kind of liked diem at RG......linkenbach i did not like yesterday

Well he was a 4th round pick which is promising (not that it helped McClendon much), but he already been released by two teams that I can see and has no NFL starts on his record. He doesn't appear to have even been on a squad last year. I wouldn't assume that he'll be starting anytime soon. The only thing I care about is that he's better than Richard!

And Richard was one of the guys in contention to be "the next center". I would take this as further confirmation of Pollacks roll with the team. Trading Richards versatility for a bigger and better guard.

Well he was a 4th round pick which is promising (not that it helped McClendon much), but he already been released by two teams that I can see and has no NFL starts on his record. He doesn't appear to have even been on a squad last year. I wouldn't assume that he'll be starting anytime soon. The only thing I care about is that he's better than Richard!

And Richard was one of the guys in contention to be "the next center". I would take this as further confirmation of Pollacks roll with the team. Trading Richards versatility for a bigger and better guard.

RICHARDS SUCKED SHOULD HAVE KEPT DEVAN

Don't expect to see Link move, Bill Polian said on his show tonight (And I quote) "Jeff Linkenbach did pretty well".

Two things regarding this.

Link didn't do too bad. On Williams first sack, the announcers talked about perhaps Link was supposed to come over to help but Clark sure didn't look like he was expecting inside help. The same thing happened last year where Clark was manned up on Mario and for that I blame Metz, there should never be a situation where a TE should be pass blocking a blitzing OLB man on man, it should always be a double even if it's with a back and TE. I'm still not a fan, never have been but he looked better than he did all preseason.

Polian said something similar about Link after the SD game last year. The following week he was riding the pine.

General comment regarding the thread I sincerely doubt if this guy is being brought in to start next week. That is not likely or feasible. It may indicate Diem moving back to RT and Pollack back at RG and they are bringing someone in who may be able to play both RG and LG as a backup. I wonder why they just didn't bring Tepper up from the PS though?

Richard was flat backed multiple times this preseason, and it was against 2nd & 3rd team players. It's beyond my understanding of football that he was graded above McClendon, DeVan, Tepper or Kirkpatrick. I was not alone either. I hope the tweet is true and hope the "technically sound", "great strength" and "can step in and play guard right away" are on target.

Seth Olsen (OG)

Height: 6'5"

Weight: 306

College:Iowa

Conference:Big 10

Hometown: Omaha, NE

High School: Millard North

Pick Analysis: When you draft an Iowa lineman, you know he's technically sound and has been well-coached. Olsen has great strength and can step in and play guard right away. He's similar to Marshal Yanda, who was drafted by Baltimore a couple years ago. He's got strong hands.

So, do they start Oslen at RG and move Diem back to RT after Linkenbach's performance at RT yesterday?

This will be interesting. I kind of hoped they'd bring in a bigger DT but I don't know who they'd get.

pat williams after his 4 game suspension said he wants to play 2 more years

Works for me.

I still wish they would have kept Harris. He made a great play to bat the ball during pre-season.

Oh well.

I had high hopes for Harris too. I just had a feeling he was gonna have a year like Booger McFarland had for us. A "surprise".

I have to trust the team knew he wasn't worth the risk or roster spot. But darn, I was hoping.

I had high hopes for Harris too. I just had a feeling he was gonna have a year like Booger McFarland had for us. A "surprise".

I have to trust the team knew he wasn't worth the risk or roster spot. But darn, I was hoping.

I felt the same way...was really excited to see what Harris had left but now we won't get the chance unless they bring him back later in the season or he's picked up by someone else.

I agree. I think some people are getting ahead of themselves. I like the signing and it could very well turn out to be an upgrade and improve the line, but I wouldn't expect to see this happen right away. I'd be very surprised if he were starting right away. Maybe 4-6 weeks down the line depending on how he develops but likely not right away.

So wait we lose CJ to the Vikings and we pick this guy up off of waivers from the Vikings. I wonder who got the short end of this stick...*sigh*

Agreed we should have just payed CJ, his contract with the vikings is not that big and he would have been a major help to our O-Line.

Two things regarding this.

Link didn't do too bad. On Williams first sack, the announcers talked about perhaps Link was supposed to come over to help but Clark sure didn't look like he was expecting inside help. The same thing happened last year where Clark was manned up on Mario and for that I blame Metz, there should never be a situation where a TE should be pass blocking a blitzing OLB man on man, it should always be a double even if it's with a back and TE. I'm still not a fan, never have been but he looked better than he did all preseason.

Polian said something similar about Link after the SD game last year. The following week he was riding the pine.

General comment regarding the thread I sincerely doubt if this guy is being brought in to start next week. That is not likely or feasible. It may indicate Diem moving back to RT and Pollack back at RG and they are bringing someone in who may be able to play both RG and LG as a backup. I wonder why they just didn't bring Tepper up from the PS though?

I've repressed most of my memories from this game but there was one point in the game I remember Clark talking to Metz on the sideline. It looked like a pretty heated argument. Clark did not look happy from the very start of the game. Maybe that is what he was so miffed about.

Link should not start. That should have been apparent from preseason. Pollak and Diem should man the right side. I do not think they will start a guy they just acquired unless he has a "S" burned in his chest and can harness the the power of the sun to unleash god-like pass blocking skills.

Underachieving, cut by multiple teams, hoping to get signed to a practice squad...............starting for the Colts.

Sounds about right :sigh:

I don't really have high hopes for this guy, the only thing I can say is that he's a natural guard vs. the two centers we had as back up guards before this move. I think it was a move done for a back up more than anything. I think our five guys we have now are our starters till Ijalana is ready.

You guys know that Brian Waters signed with New England, right? With all the russian roulette at OG, why did we not make a play for him? The last time we signed someone from the Chiefs (Lilja), thinks worked out fine for us at guard.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/6929918/new-england-patriots-sign-guard-brian-waters

I think we could have afforded that deal (2 yrs. for $5.5 mil.) and had ourselves a good guard, he almost played every snap at RG for the Pats yesterday. The Pats run screens and use mostly lighter O-linemen for their passing offense as well, so he would have fit, IMO. I do wonder if we did make a play for him and came up short, it would be hard to know.

I get confused. Everyone rips the Colts and their horrid offensive line and how they need to get better. But when they get rid of the players who make it horrid, some people still get mad. For example, DeVan. He was a servable player. But clearly, he was never going to be opening big holes. I actually applaud the Colts for putting Reitz and Diem at guards. Maybe it won't work. Maybe it will get much better. But at least it beats doing the same old thing with DeVan and Pollak.

Olsen was a very good player at Iowa. I wouldn't discount him yet, because lets remember that Saturday was cut my another team, as was Lilja. Sometimes, it is a matter of fitting into the scheme. I remember I was surprised when Lilja was signed late after the Chiefs cut him, but he did ok.

I think Olsen will do fine. Can't be any worse then the guy he replaced on the roster.

I get confused. Everyone rips the Colts and their horrid offensive line and how they need to get better. But when they get rid of the players who make it horrid, some people still get mad. For example, DeVan. He was a servable player. But clearly, he was never going to be opening big holes. I actually applaud the Colts for putting Reitz and Diem at guards. Maybe it won't work. Maybe it will get much better. But at least it beats doing the same old thing with DeVan and Pollak.

Olsen was a very good player at Iowa. I wouldn't discount him yet, because lets remember that Saturday was cut my another team, as was Lilja. Sometimes, it is a matter of fitting into the scheme. I remember I was surprised when Lilja was signed late after the Chiefs cut him, but he did ok.

I think Olsen will do fine. Can't be any worse then the guy he replaced on the roster.

Olson will never play. Pollack & Devan the same old thing WORKED ACTUALLY. I don't at least at this team see Reitz as an upgrade at all. Our line right now is far worse than last year. PERIOD Hows that for our upgrade. Our line right now could have been CJ, Devan Pollack, Saturday, Pollack or Diem, & Costanzo With the Villanova kid learning & Rietz on the bench learning.