Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jamey Richard Cut, Seth Olsen Signed

NM_Colts

If CJ was that good, would he have gotten cut?

Players get cut and signed all the time. Sometimes it's a system thing, sometimes it's a money thing, other situations involve injuries.

All I know is, these guys understand the business better than you or I.

CJ wasn't cut by the Colts he was a free agent there is a difference. With that said Johnson has pretty much struggled since going to the Vikings. I think he is going to end up like Rick DeMulling, really good in our system but struggles once he gets outside of it.

CJ wanted left tackle money, somewhere in the $3-4 mil. range and he got that with the Vikes. He was not our future LT and we were not going to pay him as a LT. There in lay the difference between the Colts management and how they viewed CJ's future with the Colts.

CJ wanted left tackle money, somewhere in the $3-4 mil. range and he got that with the Vikes. He was not our future LT and we were not going to pay him as a LT. There in lay the difference between the Colts management and how they viewed CJ's future with the Colts.

If I remember the article correctly, it was so much the money as the length of contract. THe Colts wanted to offer a one year deal and CJ wanted 2 or 3 year deal. They should have given it to him. He couldn't be worse than Link at RT (of course I think a 300lb bag of sand would do as well as Link, but that is another thread).

On the plus side, I have not watched the entire game yet, but AC looked really good, especially for a rookie in his first NFL start.

Reitz struggled in the 1st quarter but then seemed to settle down and played pretty well the rest of the way (his face mask penalty was bogus, the defender had him by the facemask and was really cranking his head around).

Saturday did well.

Diem got overwhelmed on one play but the rest of the game he looked solid at RG (still would rather have him at RT)

Link played better than I thought he would, he actually held his own most of the time when he was engaged but from my amateur's eye watching it on TV he sure seemed to block the wrong guy way too often.

I'm all for making some changes along this O-line, so hopefully this guy can come in and surprise us by making a difference.

However, Ijalana will be in the lineup well before Olsen. In fact, if the right side of the line is not improved this week, I think Big Ben will be chiming in very soon. I thought the left side (Castonzo, Reitz, Saturday) was actually pretty good. But moving Diem inside and putting Link on the field was a bad idea. I'd like to see Ijalana come in next to Diem, and I'd probably put Diem back in his spot at RT where he's more comfortable until Ijalana is ready to take over at RT.

Olsen, being from Iowa, will probably make a good guard if he is actually NFL caliber at all. I like the direction that Chris Polian is going with the O-line, but the coaches are trying to mess it up. Hopefully in the coming draft, we can use a 2nd or 3rd round pick on another high quality OL, specifically C.

If I remember the article correctly, it was so much the money as the length of contract. THe Colts wanted to offer a one year deal and CJ wanted 2 or 3 year deal. They should have given it to him. He couldn't be worse than Link at RT (of course I think a 300lb bag of sand would do as well as Link, but that is another thread).

On the plus side, I have not watched the entire game yet, but AC looked really good, especially for a rookie in his first NFL start.

I agree. I wish we had retained CJ too.

AC's job as a rookie gets lost because we suffered a drubbing while Nate Solder got the spotlight on MNF with the Pats and now everyone is of the opinion that Nate Solder is ahead of AC w.r.t the learning curve. I think they are about the same. Wait till Nate Solder faces Mathis or Freeney and gets his turnstile going :).

We do get a chance to go versus the Steelers and Saints on SNF, hopefully AC can continue to impress in those 2 games just as he did with the Texans.

I agree. I wish we had retained CJ too.

AC's job as a rookie gets lost because we suffered a drubbing while Nate Solder got the spotlight on MNF with the Pats and now everyone is of the opinion that Nate Solder is ahead of AC w.r.t the learning curve. I think they are about the same. Wait till Nate Solder faces Mathis or Freeney and gets his turnstile going :).

We do get a chance to go versus the Steelers and Saints on SNF, hopefully AC can continue to impress in those 2 games just as he did with the Texans.

Add to that the number of mock drafts and draft-day reporting that the Colts were interested in Solder until the Patriots swooped in and drafted him ahead of us. It was actually kinda funny the way it played out similar to in 06 when there was talk about us taking Laurence Maroney until the Pats took him ahead of us and we wound up taking Addai. I think we came out ahead in the Addai/Maroney situation and hopefully this one works out the same. But seriously though, what is it with the Pats jumping in and taking the guys we were interested in. Or is it all a ruse by our FO to make the Pats think we're interested in one player just so they'll jump in and take that player ahead of us leaving the player we really wanted all along? Ya just never know.

i honestly dont know anything about olsen but any help we can get on the Oline run blocking and pass blocking would be a huge plus and a step in the right direction. hear is a thought I have seen some people say if peyton were in there he would change the play so he didnt take a hit like that but how do you think his neck got hurt in the first place " taking hits like that" just saying. Collins did a fine job

bigger isn't the problem.....just better......

I disagree...bigger is also part of the problem and Dungy's history should be a clear indicator of that. His defense did not work in Minnesota and did not work here because both defenses were too undersized. The only time his defense (under him) worked well was in Tampa because he had an entirely different type of personnel. It doesn't matter how good your technique is, if you're 250 lbs. playing in the middle of the line of scrimmage, you're going to get run over by the opposing 300+ lb offensive linemen.

Eric Foster the best example on our current roster. He can make plays and can be a very valuable player for us but not at DT. At only 265 lbs he stands no chance going up against the middle of the opposing team's OL. 220 lb LB's are not going to be strong enough to get off blocks from bigger OL, TE and FB and therefore are going to get blocked out of plays the majority of the time.