Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One & Done Again....

LJpalmbeacher2

Thanks Gramz you said it well and I agree with everything you said. I knew if this game turned out like this that the board would have all these post but that in my opinion was nothing new because it has been going on all year. I am over the releasing of Manning and hope Luck has a bright future in Indy but I will never get over OP knocking Peyton when he does something right or wrong. I personally hope Luck has a great future and for as long as he plays I hope Peyton has a great future as long as he decides to play.

I have decided to not let the naysayers get to me anymore because it's not worth the time. I will follow the Colts because I have for probably more years than some of the new members have been alive.  Go Colts and hoping for a great year next year and many years to come. :thmup:

Wishing Manning continued health and many years of playing the game he loves.  ;)

In my opinion Manning and Luck have given us fans many years of enjoyment and also the sadness of loosing but that is the game we call football. On any given Sunday anything can happen as we all know.

Well I'm off my soap box so now can we all get along once again like it used to be. :)

Great post Susie. Only thing missing is that you failed to counter the 'bad taste' Manning knocking with the bad taske Luck/Irsay knocking which has been a constant on here as well. Sport always cuts a sway through logical and common opinion, so I would not worry about it.

No different from politics, meat eaters v veggies, cat lovers v cat haters etc!

As long as no blood is being spilled, it's not a problem. 

Oh, no doubt we're a terrible fanbase when things aren't going well (most rabid fanbases are).  We're pretty fiercely loyal to our all-time greats, though.

The state of the Redskins isn't really relevant to this thread, so I'm not going to get into it.  I will say that I think you err in assuming that I don't have a reputation for ripping Skins fans who say similarly dumb things.  I've had plenty to say to them along those lines lately but that's not something you'll likely see me have to do on a Colts board.  So I'm still in decent enough karmic standing to take the moral high road. ;)

The long and the short of it is that Peyton gave you guys a lot and it's a crying shame that some of you are so quick to dismiss the guy now that you have a new, shiny toy.

My peyton jersey, Tickets from 3 games I went too, and a picture of him that I have had on my wall since I was 10 years old are framed behind glass and hanging above me as I type this so don't dare accuse me of "dismissing him so quickly", I cried when he was released and I was cheering my heart out for him last night.

That being said, I love how your entire defense to my post is "the state of the redskins isn't really relevant to this thread", well neither was your original comment so why choose to stop there? Oh yeah because how they handled the RG3 situation was atrocious and the entire nation was watching, you would think that would influence Shannahan some.

You can put all the words in my mouth you want but I do not agree with the original poster either.I just think it is silly and hypocritical to say you are glad you are not a Colts fan when someone on a internet forum posts a dumb topic, when your team is under scrutiny from the entire NFL world for the way they have been handling their future QB....

Ahhh, this Broncos team is only getting better. Young on defense, young on offense, and one of the best QBs in the game.

They'll be back. That's why I'm not too upset, plus you have to feel happy for Ray Lewis.

No, the long and short of it is we ha to replace a living legend. Very few fan bases have had to go through with replacing an all time great when said great is still playing. Your fan base in recent memory (specifically in the Internet era) hasn't had any thing remotely similar to what we had in Manning so its kind of hard or you or a Texans fan to know what it's like.

You can sit there and deplore part of our fan base but I would be willing to bet that yours would be doing the same thing.

Get off your high horse and understand that people react differently. Now that you have Bob and one day he leaves (assuming he will be in the likes of Manning) you might understand what we went through as fans in Indy.

Maybe we should go find a 49ers or Packers fan, then.  Actually, I'd bet Packers fans were pretty much saying the same things about Favre when he choked the game away as a Viking.  That's a pretty different situation, though, because Favre left under far more acrimonious circumstances (EVERYONE was tired of him by that point) and sought out a division rival to play for.  There's much less cause for enjoying Manning throwing a pick to help seal a game.

My peyton jersey, Tickets from 3 games I went too, and a picture of him that I have had on my wall since I was 10 years old are framed behind glass and hanging above me as I type this so don't dare accuse me of "dismissing him so quickly", I cried when he was released and I was cheering my heart out for him last night.

That being said, I love how your entire defense to my post is "the state of the redskins isn't really relevant to this thread", well neither was your original comment so why choose to stop there? Oh yeah because how they handled the RG3 situation was atrocious and the entire nation was watching, you would think that would influence Shannahan some.

You can put all the words in my mouth you want but I do not agree with the original poster either.I just think it is silly and hypocritical to say you are glad you are not a Colts fan when someone on a internet forum posts a dumb topic, when your team is under scrutiny from the entire NFL world for the way they have been handling their future QB....

This thread is by a Colts fan about Peyton Manning and how he's the Broncos' "problem" now.  The original post I responded to (NOT yours) was one that I would say is dismissive and a bit unfair to a player that you guys simply would not have ever been very competitive without.  I'd say my comments were pretty relevant.

The Skins have nothing to do with anything in this thread short of you trying to go for a low blow because apparently you don't have anything of merit rebuke me on within the confines of the topic. ;)

l will  NEVER understand the satisfaction, delight, and celebration of some people  that seem to take such

pleasure in seeing him knocked down, and  to be so mean about it.

Gramz, you do raise a very poignant question, and I'll put it from a Patriots' fan's perspective:

It's nothing about Peyton, personally. I like the guy. He's a fun guy, great personality, a guy you'd love to sit down and have a beer with, and just chat about football and life in general.

What gets non-Peyton fans, and particularly Patriot fans, is the media fawning that's been poured over him for 10+ years. The media portrays Peyton as an all-time great, which he is... in the regular season.

So when Peyton loses in the playoffs, non-Peyton fans wanted the media to recognize the fact. They rarely did, and never put the fair share (notice that I said fair; that usually does not mean the overwhelming share, but at times, like in '04, it would) of the blame on Peyton.

Listen to the fawning that took place last night by Dierdorf over Peyton. It was sickening. It's the media deification of Peyton that annoys non-Peyton fans, and it's why they take schaudenfraude (I think I spelled that closely enough :) ) in a Peyton loss.

Gramz, you do raise a very poignant question, and I'll put it from a Patriots' fan's perspective:

It's nothing about Peyton, personally. I like the guy. He's a fun guy, great personality, a guy you'd love to sit down and have a beer with, and just chat about football and life in general.

What gets non-Peyton fans, and particularly Patriot fans, is the media fawning that's been poured over him for 10+ years. The media portrays Peyton as an all-time great, which he is... in the regular season.

So when Peyton loses in the playoffs, non-Peyton fans wanted the media to recognize the fact. They rarely did, and never put the fair share (notice that I said fair; that usually does not mean the overwhelming share, but at times, like in '04, it would) of the blame on Peyton.

Listen to the fawning that took place last night by Dierdorf over Peyton. It was sickening. It's the media deification of Peyton that annoys non-Peyton fans, and it's why they take schaudenfraude (I think I spelled that closely enough :) ) in a Peyton loss.

Fair enough.    Put that way,  I can relate.   Sort of the way I feel about the fawning,  media and otherwise,  on Rodgers...

Difference being,  I don't come on here and hoot and holler and celebrate his losses..

It's not just a Manning thing either. I like to see teams I think are overrated go down. And I always thought Denver was overrated and overhyped. Like some of the Chargers teams we have seen too get a bye week and go down early. It used to make me laugh. On another forum I was on we used to make fun of the Chargers so bad, they owned us but it gave us pleasure to see them go down.

I thought Seattle was overrated too, I hope they hang on and lose to Atlanta.

I like to see the best teams go at it in the end, not just the best QBs too. I never was sold on this Denver team being as elite as people thought beating up on all these cupcakes for weeks.......so in a way maybe I feel satisfaction with being proven right for not getting on the Denver train.

I actually felt bad for Peyton a few times yesterday. He looked old and cold at times and I just felt he was uncomfortable in some moments.

And yeah Elway never sat right with me either so I never hate to see that guy go down. I rooted hard against the Broncos last year when the Tebow hype become unbearable. It was pretty much the same team this season, just with Manning instead of Tebow but the same thing remained; this team was shoved down our throats early and often.

And I never honestly felt at times that the Colts for all they did this year overcoming the loss of Manning/coaches/various veterans got enough love for more then just the Pagano story. Peyton had a great comeback story all year but what about US? I know some claim Luck is a golden boy himself but compared to the Manning/RG3 hype I never felt it as much.

Luck was balling this year helping us pull games out in the clutch so often.......taking hits every week and getting back up. But, at the same time many would often seem more excited over a Denver win then an Indy win.

I was more proud of this Colts team this year then I was for Manning and I just felt the hype at times was directed in the wrong direction. Ironically the Colts beat more "good" teams then the Broncos; Packers/Vikings/Texans at home. The Broncos would beat the Browns or Chargers and that was considered almost monumental it seemed........

Fair enough.    Put that way,  I can relate.   Sort of the way I feel about the fawning,  media and otherwise,  on Rodgers...

Difference being,  I don't come on here and hoot and holler and celebrate his losses..

Uh, do I honestly have to also mention the intense Colts/Patriots rivalry that went along with most of Peyton's career in Indy?

Many Patriot fans have been on this board since at least '04 or so.

Uh, do I honestly have to also mention the intense Colts/Patriots rivalry that went along with most of Peyton's career in Indy?

Not to mention Brady vs. Peyton. No doubt Pats fans secretly are feeling they have the edge now assuming Brady wins today and passes Montana in playoff wins.

You have to admit, if Brady reaches the SB this year the debate is slowly ending. I personally thought it started to end last year when the last ranked D in the AFC got to the SB and Brady was the QB. I trashed the Pats D alllll last season and was honestly shocked they got as far as they did.

I don't and never will think Brady is a more talented QB then Manning. But, he has some intangibles I think are better for the postseason too. He seems less likely to get rattled to me. If not for a few big Eli throws in the 4th then Brady has 5 rings right now.

No,  as a matter of fact you don't need to mention that.  It's clear.

........   and  to the point that some have  been here since '04 or so,  ....????    so  what.   That gives them  tenure to be rude and Mean.....???

I was merely stating, that I understand what you were saying, of how the Media or others  constantly "gushing"  about a player you don't happen to hold the same opinion of.   could turn you off on them even more.

People should just be happy Peyton got a ring in Indy with our guys. In 2006 it all went our way including the bounce of the ball and the opponents.

It was not just Peyton either. I hope people realize how good some of our teams were and our coaches. Today showed it. You can have the most loaded team in the league on paper and still blow it.

Winning a ring is not an entitlement due to your name or being a QB, the media makes it out to be but did you hear Ray after the game, "Nobody gave us a chance. Nobody gave us a chance. "

People have been pushing this Broncos team alllll season. And I am sick of people acting though like our teams with him were bad and Dungy was at times too.

We have a really good thing developing here with Andrew Luck so hopefully we can build it further so we can win a playoff game soon......

People should just be happy Peyton got a ring in Indy with our guys. In 2006 it all went our way including the bounce of the ball and the opponents.

It was not just Peyton either. I hope people realize how good some of our teams were and our coaches. Today showed it. You can have the most loaded team in the league on paper and still blow it.

Winning a ring is not an entitlement due to your name or being a QB, the media makes it out to be but did you hear Ray after the game, "Nobody gave us a chance. Nobody gave us a chance. "

People have been pushing this Broncos team alllll season. And I am sick of people acting though like our teams with him were bad and Dungy was at times too.

We have a really good thing developing here with Andrew Luck so hopefully we can build it further so we can win a playoff game soon......

Jules,

I respect you and your opinion a lot.

But I have a hard time reading this post.  I remember you from 2005 or 2006 I say from the old, old Colts forum.

I believe your sentiments were different back then.

You wanted Dungy out,  and believed that we needed to put a better team around Peyton so we could have more chances to win.

I am not saying you cannot change your opinion, because certainly we all do season after season.  

But Peyton was the reason that this team was relevant again, and he kept us relevant year after year. We can put him behind as he is no longer a Colt, but don't disregard what he did for this franchise.

That is a different pressure than most QB's have to handle and he did a fine job.

...now Bronco fans know what we Colt fans have gone thru the last 14 years.

Like someone said in another thread, Peyton is  now Denver's problem!!!

Get over yourself. If you ever thought the Peyton was a problem, then you were not a Colts fan at all.

Baltimore wasn't given enough credit; according to some, it was like they had no right to even be there. That's one reason I favored them, I tend to favor the underdog.Was Denver over hyped? I'm not sure since they did have an 11 game winning streak. No matter, I'm still happy for the Ravens. They played with heart and emotion. Oh, talent also.

Jules,

I respect you and your opinion a lot.

But I have a hard time reading this post. I remember you from 2005 or 2006 I say from the old, old Colts forum.

I believe your sentiments were different back then.

You wanted Dungy out, and believed that we needed to put a better team around Peyton so we could have more chances to win.

I am not saying you cannot change your opinion, because certainly we all do season after season.

But Peyton was the reason that this team was relevant again, and he kept us relevant year after year. We can put him behind as he is no longer a Colt, but don't disregard what he did for this franchise.

That is a different pressure than most QB's have to handle and he did a fine job.

I think things change as time goes on and you reflect. Last season I did a lot of reflecting with Manning out.

I am not the BIGGEST Dungy fan. I think he was a great coach and leader but yeah if I had to do it all over I probably would have chosen someone more aggressive minded. I also wanted us to go after Jim Harbaugh when Dungy retired.

I think sentiments were different back then but looking back it was better then I thought it was........

I think yeah we could have had a better team at times around Manning but looking back what could we have done? We did not always have the money and we blew some draft picks, we all know this. It's tough to have a dominant O and D at the same time. We always did what we could to put top offensive talent around Peyton.

I think if Peyon truly wanted that loaded team ready to win a SB or advance far in the playoffs then SF had a lot of things our old Colts teams did not have. I always felt Denver was a mistake. They are a good team in Denver but I always felt they were overrated and a lesser version actually of our old Colts teams in a way......no matter what the stats say.

And yeah I agree, I am not saying Peyton is irrelevant. He was/is our legend. That doesn't mean I am ever going to root for Denver though but sometimes it is painful to me this year to watch Denver. Seeing Peyton trying to regain glory again on another team really is not the easiest thing for me to watch as well.......and sometimes I feel it's even a lost cause since I truly still feel he might have gone to the wrong team in the end for his final seasons.

I realize he is there due to the circumstances of 2011 and it is not his fault though.

Jules,

Honestly, I could give a crud about Denver as well. I as well am not a fan of "that" team. I watched intently yesterday just because of Manning. It pained me to see Manning lose almost as much as it did when we would lose.  The same as it made me mad when I watched Andrew and the Colts lose.

I am just quite irritated that there are trolls here that has to make everything "what Peyton didn't do" and every Luck thread about Peyton.....GRRRRR

Also irritated that the Patriots are again in the AFC title.

I hear ya, it will die down though if people stop making the threads........

As for the past, I would have fired Meeks and I was on the fire Meeks wagon proudly 24/7. lmao The 2006 SB run saved him though.

And I never would have hired Caldwell without doing a proper search for a new coach either.

There were some events that were beyond Peyton's control and not his fault but yeah I do think looking back some of our "prime" teams with Peyton here were pretty darn good. I think the issue often was we ran into the Pats/Brady prime years as well.......

His career completion percentage was under 55% he had nearly as many ints as tds and only played against 16 different teens before the merger

I have no horse in this race, but at least consider the era. Otto Graham won 6 straight championships in that same era and threw more INTs than TDs a few times and had about the same completion %. From the 50s to the 70s, those numbers are pretty decent. Hell the league-wide passer rating around that era was around 60. Now we're seeing 100+. The passing game back then was more down-field than it is now as you'd see by the number of INTs but also the yds/att being a lot higher. There is definitely a case to be made for Unitas - even in the minds of experts.

Just another reason that they should wait to name the NFL MVP.  Now Manning is going to get another MVP when he wasn't the most deserving, and he threw the game breaking interception in double overtime..   Ravens look tough, we'll see if they can maintain that level of consistency on offense.

I would blame the absolutely terrible blown coverage amongst some of the worst I've ever seen over Peyton. Was a bad throw but can't pin it all on Peyton by any means.

They rush 3, everyone else drops back, Flacco just heaves it up in the air and a wide open catch is made due to significant under pursuit. Then to make matters worse Fox doesn't even attempt to go down field for a possible game winning field goal when you have two stud receivers, Peyton Manning 35+ seconds and two time outs. We saw what happened in Atlanta.

His career completion percentage was under 55% he had nearly as many ints as tds and only played against 16 different teens before the merger

How many can say they finished their career with almost every single passing record and three championships?

When Peyton retires he will be along Johnny as the greatest ever to play. They'll be tied for first. Sadly they won't share the best in Colts history. Circumstances made it otherwise...

I would blame the absolutely terrible blown coverage amongst some of the worst I've ever seen over Peyton. Was a bad throw but can't pin it all on Peyton by any means.

They rush 3, everyone else drops back, Flacco just heaves it up in the air and a wide open catch is made due to significant under pursuit. Then to make matters worse Fox doesn't even attempt to go down field for a possible game winning field goal when you have two stud receivers, Peyton Manning 35+ seconds and two time outs. We saw what happened in Atlanta.

I totally agree. They were too conservative. At the end of the game, before Baltimore's TD - they kept running the ball. You have Peyton Manning, get the first down for Pete's sake.

Not to mention Brady vs. Peyton. No doubt Pats fans secretly are feeling they have the edge now assuming Brady wins today and passes Montana in playoff wins.

You have to admit, if Brady reaches the SB this year the debate is slowly ending. I personally thought it started to end last year when the last ranked D in the AFC got to the SB and Brady was the QB. I trashed the Pats D alllll last season and was honestly shocked they got as far as they did.

I don't and never will think Brady is a more talented QB then Manning. But, he has some intangibles I think are better for the postseason too. He seems less likely to get rattled to me. If not for a few big Eli throws in the 4th then Brady has 5 rings right now.

Last year, the Pats though had an incredibly easy schedule en route to the Super Bowl though. After their back to back losses to the Steelers/Giants they played absolute garbage teams from there on out, and they essentially got a 2nd bye in the playoffs when they got to take on Tim Tebow, and then they were a Lee Evans-holding-the-ball-in-the-end-zone away from not even reaching the Super Bowl. If you remember they didn't beat a team with a winning record until Baltimore in the AFCCG, and like I said, even then Baltimore lost that game more than NE won it. I still get that grinding feeling in my heart when I see Evans not holding onto the ball and letting Moore strip it out.

Last year, the Pats though had an incredibly easy schedule en route to the Super Bowl though. After their back to back losses to the Steelers/Giants they played absolute garbage teams from there on out, and they essentially got a 2nd bye in the playoffs when they got to take on Tim Tebow, and then they were a Lee Evans-holding-the-ball-in-the-end-zone away from not even reaching the Super Bowl. If you remember they didn't beat a team with a winning record until Baltimore in the AFCCG, and like I said, even then Baltimore lost that game more than NE won it. I still get that grinding feeling in my heart when I see Evans not holding onto the ball and letting Moore strip it out.

Oh I agree, I felt awful for last years Ravens too.

But, often these games come down to a little luck.....sadly.

I'm not hooked on the completion % as a relevant factor. I watched what Luck did this season, and winning 11 games the way he did makes the % kind of irrelevant. In his final two drives v the Lions, I think he went under 50%. I don't think anyone on the planet, even Skip Usless, did not go 'wow, just wow',,,,,,

It's about doing it when the chips are down, and I assume Johnny did that too..... 

Great players always want to make a play thats what makes them great sometimes it works sometimes like today it backfires

the problem is with 8 one and done's it seems to backfire more for him than others. the 8 one and dones are just impossible to ignore for a guy of his caliber

I'm not hooked on the completion % as a relevant factor. I watched what Luck did this season, and winning 11 games the way he did makes the % kind of irrelevant. In his final two drives v the Lions, I think he went under 50%. I don't think anyone on the planet, even Skip Usless, did not go 'wow, just wow',,,,,,

It's about doing it when the chips are down, and I assume Johnny did that too..... 

Johnny U was certainly clutch. And I've read this recently, paraphrasing but: "While it could be argued that Unitas was not the greatest QB ever, it would be difficult to argue that he was not the most important." In terms of historical impact, every kid in America who grew up wanting to be a quarterback can thank Unitas for that.