Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is This Season Imploding Before It Even Starts? Inuries Continue To Pile Up.

PreManningColtsFan

Sorry fellow Colts Fans.........I simply can't resist the urge to write this. I have serious concerns about the viability of fielding a competitive team. I believe that even with 18 behind center, we have some serious question marks with this club. Here are the facts:

- Our offensive line will feature a rookie at LT, a new starter at LG and our perennial starting RT moving over to LG and a new starting RT.

- We are skinny in the secondary and one of our corners, Jacob Lacey, wouldn't start for many teams in this league (latter point JMO)

- Austin Collie and Gonzalez haven't practiced in over 3 weeks.

- Peyton Manning is out indefinitely

- Backup QB to Manning is 38 years old and has only been with our club less than 3 weeks heading into season opener

These are the facts of the case. Feel free to add any other "substantial" facts that I may have missed. I don't know folks...........but put all of this together and I feel like the pendulum is about to swing heavily in the other direction for this club. For crying out loud, we haven't even played a snap of the regular season and we already have 2 studs (Peyton for sure) and AC most likely out for week 1 and Bethea may also not be available Sunday. I am doing my best to be as optimistic as possible but when I have those 4 bullet points above staring right at me, my head begins to take over my heart and reality is beginning to set in. If Manning misses more than 4 games, our season, in my opinion, may as well be mailed in. Sadly, teams like the Bengals may do worse than us. What kills me most is I am not expecting a winning season and even with Manning, I expected a sub par year (Colts standards). But I fear that not only will we have a losing record this year, I fear our club will be so bad, many of our losses will be very one sided. I don't know man. Life always tends to balance things out and I believe we are about to see all of those crazy good years begin to get balanced out. I pray that I am wrong..........but my head just won't let me. So I reach out to my fellow level headed Colts fans and ask, what say you............be honest?

Sorry fellow Colts Fans.........I simply can't resist the urge to write this. I have serious concerns about the viability of fielding a competitive team. I believe that even with 18 behind center, we have some serious question marks with this club. Here are the facts:

- Our offensive line will feature a rookie at LT, a new starter at LG and our perennial starting RT moving over to LG and a new starting RT.

- We are skinny in the secondary and one of our corners, Jacob Lacey, wouldn't start for many teams in this league (latter point JMO)

- Austin Collie and Gonzalez haven't practiced in over 3 weeks.

- Peyton Manning is out indefinitely

- Backup QB to Manning is 38 years old and has only been with our club less than 3 weeks heading into season opener

These are the facts of the case. Feel free to add any other "substantial" facts that I may have missed. I don't know folks...........but put all of this together and I feel like the pendulum is about to swing heavily in the other direction for this club. For crying out loud, we haven't even played a snap of the regular season and we already have 2 studs (Peyton for sure) and AC most likely out for week 1 and Bethea may also not be available Sunday. I am doing my best to be as optimistic as possible but when I have those 4 bullet points above staring right at me, my head begins to take over my heart and reality is beginning to set in. If Manning misses more than 4 games, our season, in my opinion, may as well be mailed in. Sadly, teams like the Bengals may do worse than us. What kills me most is I am not expecting a winning season and even with Manning, I expected a sub par year (Colts standards). But I fear that not only will we have a losing record this year, I fear our club will be so bad, many of our losses will be very one sided. I don't know man. Life always tends to balance things out and I believe we are about to see all of those crazy good years begin to get balanced out. I pray that I am wrong..........but my head just won't let me. So I reach out to my fellow level headed Colts fans and ask, what say you............be honest?

I think the Colts beat the texans by at least 10 points this Sunday. And yes I'm being honest.

Collie practiced and Gonzo is expecting to be able to play.

Peyton won't be out long IMO, at the most 3-4 games and IT IS manageable to win 2 of the first 4. If we can go 2-2 without Manning I think that is good news!

As for the OL, I'm worried as well. The OL does lack depth I wish we could have went out and got someone.

The colts are not gonna lose to the texans, idc if peyton is not playing the texans have always had a hard time with the colts. They know us we know them.. when it all comes down to it its who has the better team and player by player the colts have the better team and i bet they are starving to prove that this season.

The colts are not gonna lose to the texans, idc if peyton is not playing the texans have always had a hard time with the colts. They know us we know them.. when it all comes down to it its who has the better team and player by player the colts have the better team and i bet they are starving to prove that this season.

Thank you. When it comes from top-to-bottom who is the better team, with or without Manning, that is us. Now it is time to prove it and apply if for 60 minutes. Is it SUNDAY yet?!

I think the Colts beat the texans by at least 10 points this Sunday. And yes I'm being honest.

I took the Colts and the points because I believe we can beat them straight up. The offensive line does its job we have plenty of weapons. I do not understand why people think we can not compete. We have a solid veteran NFL QB who has seen it all. We have more offensive weapons then just about any team in the NFL. Offensive line you block Addai/Carter you run. Line block Kerry you throw its not that hard. Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Addai, Collie, Pierre, Tamme, Gonzalez someone get open Kerry throws to you and you catch it. Geez people get a grip.

Defensively I like the added size at the defensive end position against the run. I like the fact that Freeny and Mathis will be fresh for third and long. Fili is gonna have a great year in my opinion and Nevis is gonna give teams fits. Our linebackers will have room to run and hit this year as the Offensive line for other teams will have to actually block our ends. We typically just rush the QB and the linemen on run plays just go to second level after a slight chip on the end and get to the second level quickly and on our line backers. I dont see that this year. We will be better against the run and we will get after the QB this year. Our secondary needs to hold up and well be fine.

Do what you gotta do Peyton......well be alright.

I have serious concerns about the viability of fielding a competitive team. I believe that even with 18 behind center, we have some serious question marks with this club. Here are the facts:

I fear that not only will we have a losing record this year, I fear our club will be so bad, many of our losses will be very one sided.

Climb down off that ledge!

Without Peyton anything is possible, but I otherwise don't share your pessimism. With Peyton I would expect this team to win a minimum of 12 games.

All of the changes that you mention on the Oline represent improvements that I'm very exited about. RT may be a problem, but the long-term solution is already on the roster.

Lacey may not be starter quality, but I think that Thomas will take his place pretty quickly. He is a third round pick that is essentially a rookie, and he's coming on quickly. The safeties don't look bad at all.

We know what Collie and Gonzalez can do. Timing may be an issue, but if there were serious injury issues they wouldn't be here. I think they will both excel in short order.

Our backup may be 38, but he's a competent professional more prepared to step in and play than any backup of the Manning era.

In addition I think that the Colts are better at all the other defensive positions you didn't mention (and RB, and TE) either because of additions or young players being a year older - many of whom got valuable playing time when forced into service last year.

Some things may take some time to jell, but in general I love this team. It looks better than the squad that about 10 minutes ago was 14-0, in the middle of a debate about perfection.

It's all about "the neck".

Imagine if this was Polian's biggest smokescreen ever and Peyton was nearly 100%?

I'd have a Nelson moment, point at the talking heads on TV and say " HA-HA" lol

I also think Colts fans should back up whoever is behind center, YOU may get surprised and have a Cassell moment on your hands. (I doubt anyone expected him to be so good either right.)

this could be a blood-letting down there in Houston. Just trying to prepare everyone. Colts will definitely not win the game. They have been building this team through the draft and other means and Texans are going to be as good as ANY team in the league this year. I hope we (colts) win but just saying' The Texans are going to take us out to the van down by the river.

Thank you. When it comes from top-to-bottom who is the better team, with or without Manning, that is us. Now it is time to prove it and apply if for 60 minutes. Is it SUNDAY yet?!

Exactly, brayton is really good when it comes to bull rushing, anderson is a solid player its gonna be a good year for the defense.

this could be a blood-letting down there in Houston. Just trying to prepare everyone. Colts will definitely not win the game. They have been building this team through the draft and other means and Texans are going to be as good as ANY team in the league this year. I hope we (colts) win but just saying' The Texans are going to take us out to the van down by the river.

As much as I hate to admit it, I have to agree. I am trying to be rosy, but the Texans are good.

Can you imagine the cheers that Kerry Collins will get as he runs out onto the field?

The Texans are a better team than you are giving them credit for. Our D has to play perfect in order to stop their offense. Because i dont like our D scheme I think we are in for trouble. I think Collins will do ok and especially with the starters in there. I just dont see us winning this one no matter how much I love the Colts. I would be happy if Im wrong and if I am , then, we have one heck of a team that could win the whole thing once Manning gets back.

Im from Houston & live in Houston.. Yes they team will be as good as any team is this year & yes they have been building they team thru the draft, but you have no choice to do that if every Draft you picking in the Top 10. But still the Texans will not beat us (Colts) Houston teams always do dumb :cuss: .. It never fails. We will win, just watch. Texan fans will be in that van going down by the river. Ill be sure to record it for COLTSNATION!!!

The Texans are a better team than you are giving them credit for. Our D has to play perfect in order to stop their offense. Because i dont like our D scheme I think we are in for trouble. I think Collins will do ok and especially with the starters in there. I just dont see us winning this one no matter how much I love the Colts. I would be happy if Im wrong and if I am , then, we have one heck of a team that could win the whole thing once Manning gets back.

Well no need to worry cause you are wrong my friend very wrong, the texans FB is not there to help whats his name anymore their Oline is not the best when it comes to pass protection.. I think you are giving them too much credit, the texans have yet to prove anything except they have a few good players on their team. The colts on the other hand have a plenty of talented players on their team, i can truly say this season i would take the colts Dline anytime over the texans Oline, the colts will not be playing the vanilla defense they have been playing in the preseason, they are gonna blitz and show different types of coverages, the colts are gonna feast on matt.

Im from Houston & live in Houston.. Yes they team will be as good as any team is this year & yes they have been building they team thru the draft, but you have no choice to do that if every Draft you picking in the Top 10. But still the Texans will not beat us (Colts) Houston teams always do dumb :cuss: .. It never fails. We will win, just watch. Texan fans will be in that van going down by the river. Ill be sure to record it for COLTSNATION!!!

If it never fails, what happened in week 1 last year? Just curious. I will be at the game this Sunday pulling for the Colts bro.

If we lose the game against the Texans, then we lose the game. It's just 1 game and won't mark the end of our season.

I am worried aboout far more than the Texans game. The bullet points listed are season long issues and stretch far beyond one game. The offensive line issues, health at the WR position, and thin secondary are legitimate concerns. The secondary may surprise me/us with depth. I'll remain cautiously optimistic on that front. On the bright side, it's nice to be an underdog again. The line in the Houston Chronicle had the Colts at -8.5 today and I think that # will climb to at least 9.5 as early money will go with the Texans. I suppose all of my concerns will be addressed as this season unfolds, but as of now, I am mailing it in..........at least until 18 comes back.

Well no need to worry cause you are wrong my friend very wrong, the texans FB is not there to help whats his name anymore their Oline is not the best when it comes to pass protection.. I think you are giving them too much credit, the texans have yet to prove anything except they have a few good players on their team. The colts on the other hand have a plenty of talented players on their team, i can truly say this season i would take the colts Dline anytime over the texans Oline, the colts will not be playing the vanilla defense they have been playing in the preseason, they are gonna blitz and show different types of coverages, the colts are gonna feast on matt.

I hope you're right Smitto. But my worries are season long and our standards / expectations apply to the post season success, not game 1 against the Texans. One thing is for sure, we will truly find out what it looks like for this team to play meaningful snaps / games with someone else under center rather than 18. I feel like I'm back in the early 90's again and we will be underdog each and every week.

Thanks. I thought I read on Indystar.com or some other trusted site that both he and Gonzo sat out yesterday. For the life of me, I don't understand why Gonzo is taking up a roster spot.

Tell me about it. I thought for sure he'd be cut. I swear I can't even remember when I last saw him out on the field. Money for nothing!

Might as well just tank the season and get the first pick in the draft. Manning's replacement, Luck. (sarcasm) No one would dare think like that on this team. I do think that Peyton's injury may be worse than we think. Once you go messing around cutting in the head or neck bad things can happen.

The season hasn't even started and people have us in last place. Geesh! At least let us play a few games before we all start jumping off cliffs! I honestly don't think the Colts are just playing cards at practice this week. I have a feeling that they are going to really surprise the Texans on Sunday.

It doesn't really matter who plays for you guys at QB, Colts haven't looked the same for years.. Im sure manning will be ready just in time for your week 4 Monday night mod edit whipping. And we will be glad to knock manning right back on the bench!

Payback for that '03 monday night game coming mod edit!

Might as well just tank the season and get the first pick in the draft. Manning's replacement, Luck. (sarcasm) No one would dare think like that on this team. I do think that Peyton's injury may be worse than we think. Once you go messing around cutting in the head or neck bad things can happen.

That's my fear as well. First and foremost, for Peyton, I would hate for him to have his career end this way. However, I do believe he'll be back. The question is when and to what effect?

The season hasn't even started and people have us in last place. Geesh! At least let us play a few games before we all start jumping off cliffs! I honestly don't think the Colts are just playing cards at practice this week. I have a feeling that they are going to really surprise the Texans on Sunday.

Bro...........I've jumped off the cliff and it's so far to the bottom I have time to rethink my decision to jump........still not regretting it, yet!

Colts are going to win the Superbowl this season. When things seem to be looking bad for us, I know we can get things done. We have a capable defense to win games. We have a few trump cards to play this season. Trust me, no need to worry! Go Colts!