Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Looking ahead to the Packers

Jules

Well first of all welcome back Jeff Saturday!!!! :disco:

And after you gasp and pass out at the thought of Aaron Rodgers and company vs. this defense what else are your thoughts on this game?

Perhaps the Colts offense could have a suprisingly good game coming off a bye week? The Pack tend to do well vs. Jay Cutler but struggle vs. others.

Will Freeney be back?

The Packers play two games before they come to Indy so we get to see them vs. the Seahawks and Saints.

This is for sure one of the games this year listed as a "no chance win for the Colts." But, we can still discuss it and even hope to see signs of progress even in a potential loss.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well first of all welcome back Jeff Saturday!!!! :disco:

And after you gasp and pass out at the thought of Aaron Rodgers and company vs. this defense what else are your thoughts on this game?

Perhaps the Colts offense could have a suprisingly good game coming off a bye week? The Pack tend to do well vs. Jay Cutler but struggle vs. others.

Will Freeney be back?

The Packers play two games before they come to Indy so we get to see them vs. the Seahawks and Saints.

This is for sure one of the games this year listed as a "no chance win for the Colts." But, we can still discuss it and even hope to see signs of progress even in a potential loss.

If....we move the ball well on O, it wouldn't surprise me at all if our D exceeds expectations. No one will disagree that it is likely a double digits loss on paper, but I don't think we are helpless at all against what the Pack will throw at us, especially with Freeney expected back. Reitz back means we have a shot to have our starting O line in action as well. Hold the Pack to under 30 and we may find the Colts with the ball at the end of the game and a chance to win.

Yes Freeney is expected back! Yay!!!!

BTW, the Colts need to regroup from this loss to the Jags. It was a tough ending.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120923/SPORTS03/209230349/Colts-Insider-Locker-room-shock-after-deflating-loss

Pagano's post-game message to the team: "Adversity will introduce a man to himself. We've got the right guys in the locker room. We'll come back from this."

All i can say is Rodgers is not the same Rodgers from last year

I am a big fan of Rodgers but at the same time I am not sure I feel their passing game in GB has been the same since that loss to the Chiefs last year.

But, also at times last year for him was a year for the ages and might never happen again but he is still lethal. And starting with the Niners/Bears defenses is going to be tough for any QB.

I think it will be much closer than people think. Aaron Rodgers and their offense will probably light up our defense, but I'm not that impressed with there defense, I think if Luck gets time from the O-line I think hes capable of making this a real shootout, with the last team with the ball probably winning the game!

I think it will be much closer than people think. Aaron Rodgers and their offense will probably light up our defense, but I'm not that impressed with there defense, I think if Luck gets time from the O-line I think hes capable of making this a real shootout, with the last team with the ball probably winning the game!

Why would you think Luck will have time to pass? I see the Packer's getting at least six sacks. Matthews will have at least three sacks against our OL. IT is going to be ugly.

Guys, are we doing this again? Getting our hopes up? I know "any given Sunday" but let's taper our hopes and work with reality.

-We thought we could hang with the Bears because "Cutler's not that great and Marshall is overrated." How did that turn out?

-We lost to the freakin' Jags! We barely beat the Vikings.

I see a game where we will lose, hang in there, take our lumps and learn. Barely any chance of a win.

Why would you think Luck will have time to pass? I see the Packer's getting at least six sacks. Matthews will have at least three sacks against our OL. IT is going to be ugly.

A lot of the potential sacks will depend on what kind of game that Arians calls for Luck. If they can do a lot of quick slants, screens, and dump off passes that can limit GB's ability to get to Luck. Run a back or TE to the spot Matthews just vacated on his way to Luck and complete some passes. While I'm quite certain Luck will meet the turf in this game it might not be the blood bath you're predicting.

Guys, are we doing this again? Getting our hopes up? I know "any given Sunday" but let's taper our hopes and work with reality.

-We thought we could hang with the Bears because "Cutler's not that great and Marshall is overrated." How did that turn out?

I see a game where we will lose, hang in there, take our lumps and learn. Barely any chance of a win.

I hear ya but that is what you're going to get with a young team, a lot of highs and a lot of lows. Maybe coming off the bye and some motivation from losing to the Jags can translate into a high vs GB. And after the game vs the 49ers, the win against the Vikings (even though just barely) looks much more impressive. I'm sure this will be another L in the record books, but there's no need to just be doom and gloom about it.

We all know the game is about matchups, right? Last year we were torched because we didn't have the DBs with the ability to cover their WRs.

I don't know the extent of Vontea's injury, I hope it's not serious. Personally I think he's played better in each game and he and Powers are pretty good CBs.

But after that there's a steep drop off. So a lot will depend on how much pressure can be put on Rodgers.

That's my take on the D. I'm not sure if the Pack D is any better than what we've seen so far.

I'm not sure if the Pack D is any better than what we've seen so far.

hard to say....Capers is a good DC, so I'd expect quite a few different looks thrown at Luck and a good dose of blitzes. I don't see him sitting back in coverage and daring luck to pick it apart. I don't know that the Colts have the offensive personnel to hold off the pressure from the front 7.

But, but......We are better than the 49ers because we beat the Vikings who then beat the 49ers.......

Consistency is our major issue. One drive the defense looks like world-beaters, with Freeman making big tackles and picking off Cutler for a TD, Mathis with big sacks, Powers with big deflections, and a number of good plays stuffing Adrian Peterson. The next, they suddenly can't tackle, can't cover, can't generate any pass rush. One drive the passing offense can't be stopped. The next, ugly incompetent 3-and-out.

With all these young guys and guys who just haven't played much with each other, the only way we'll get better there is with experience. We need to learn to salvage a drive on offense instead of just digging a hole and sitting in it. We need to learn to avoid giving up big plays on defense, and start making our biggest plays on defense at the same moment that their offense needs a big play.

This team can play really well some of the time. With more experience as we go through the season, maybe we can turn that into most of the time, and that's how you win games.

It's almost cliche at this point, but it's like Lombardi said - you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all of the time.

Maybe you just scored a touchdown, or picked off a pass, or sacked the QB. Your job isn't done until there are zeros on the clock.

Rodgers getting smacked around a little but tonight. We HAVE to put pressure on him. It would be nice if we could sustain drives and play keep away.

Yeah I did notice that if we can get our pass rush to get after Rodgers just like we did with Cutler to start the Bears game we could hve a fighting chance.

We need a package where we can turn Freeney, Mathis, and Hughes all loose in two weeks because clearly the Packers o-line can't stop anyone...

I mean I think even our o-line is going man the Packers line is bad lol.

They might just run the ball down our throats too. But, I never feel like the Pack like to stick with the run too long. It's a lot like our old Colts teams too with Peyton. They go where Aaron goes......

Well if Minnesota can beat San Fran, stranger things can happen. Any given Sunday. Going with the Colts for the upset coming off of the bye week with a sour taste in their mouth. Extra preparation time to get ready for their biggest challenge yet. I hope Green Bay gets a good lead on us in the first half so that the Colts have no choice but to go full throttle in the 2nd half. Peddle the the metal and we pull out the win in come back fashion.

I think it would be the most awesome thing ever if Andrew Luck gets into a shoot out with Rodgers. Win or lose. It would just be a great experience for Andrew and our offense to do some positive things vs. the Pack. Would be a confidence boost.