Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who has the better season Wayne or Avery?

hambone35

My God,

So Donnie Avery has the best game of his career (after having a non existent one last week besides the TD catch), and suddenly people think he could compete with Reggie for the better season.

Reggie will have the better season and it won't be close.

Sorry for being a bit of a hard-butt here, but I think that's the only way I could put it.

I see no reason why Avery can't have a similar year to what Garcon had last year, probably even better because we should have better QB play this year than last. Wayne will be the primary focus of opposing teams in coverage like he always is so I see no reason why Avery can't have a very good year statistically. that is provided he can stay healthy.

I see no reason why Avery can't have a similar year to what Garcon had last year, probably even better because we should have better QB play this year than last. Wayne will be the primary focus of opposing teams in coverage like he always is so I see no reason why Avery can't have a very good year statistically. that is provided he can stay healthy.

Minus size and injuries, he may be better than Garçon.

I believe if he has better hands than Garcon; yes he will have a better statistical season. With that being said Reggie is the #1 for a reason and I don't see that changing this year.

My God,

So Donnie Avery has the best game of his career (after having a non existent one last week besides the TD catch), and suddenly people think he could compete with Reggie for the better season.

Sorry for being a bit of a hard-butt here, but I think that's the only way I could put it.

At the point of you posting, no one suggested Avery would beat Wayne. If he can out 'yard' Reggie in one game, then he can do it in others, therefore the question is not as ridiculous as you are making out. Of course, in the history of the game, no WR has ever had a break-out season.....ever. And WR's never get injured.

It was a fair question from the OP, yet you are mouthing off as if someone stole your munch bunch from your sandwich box.

Sorry, this is the only way I could put it.

My God,

If Luck throws that pass that was picked off by Jennings another 5 yards deeper, Avery has a for sure 60 yard TD. Avery is playing the deeper routes, obviously, while Wayne is playing the shorter safer routes for Luck. I say Avery can stay pretty close in yardage to Reggie, but I think Reggie will beat him by a large margin in receptions.

Obviously it's gonna be Wayne but everyone's acting like Avery is some scrub.... He looks like Marvin out there sometimes except he can't run the great routes yet.

Avery has the skills to get 1000yds and he very well can get it this season but I think Wayne has the better season.

It isn't a ridiculous question, but Wayne is the guy that will get the consistent targets in a ball control offense. As the other young weapons emerge, some of the surplus targets that Avery got last week will fade into Fleener/Allen/Hilton - Luck is going to spread it around more than he has thus far. Avery does look plausible to catch 60+ balls and 800+ yards with upside potential over a 1000 yds. if the deeper route opportunities continue to be there as they have. Best of all - no defense we'll face can ignore Avery's blow by if stays healthy. He is 2 for 2 so far getting behind solid CB's in the first 2 weeks.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Avery. Why? I think Reggie's at the point in his career where he's less interested in stats and more interested in being the "elder statesman". You kind of saw this last year, where it seemed they were orienting the offense more around Garcon than Wayne.

I think as the next few years progress, Wayne will be playing more of the role model/mentor to Avery/Brazil/Hilton/Adams and will slowly be less prominent in the offense. I think his numbers will still be pretty good, but I won't be surprised if the others quickly have better stats.

EDIT: Especially if we pick up a stud WR like Woods/Lee next year. :D

either way, avery looks to be a good pick up. he could be a nice weapon for years to come if he can shake the injuries

One injury. Singular. It was a whopper, and took 2 years for him to properly recover, but it is not plural. My understanding was the hip thing in preseason was him being held out as a precaution only.