Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jake Scott OT

CS Colts Fan

found this on rotoworld... looks like he is wanting money and maybe out of our price range..

sorry if this needs to get merged..

Seeking more than the veteran minimum, free agent OG Jake Scott has turned down several offers from teams throughout the offseason and training camp.

"I'm not angry," said Scott. "This is my decision. It is a business and it is my decision not to be on a team right now." Scott started 121 consecutive games through 2011 and graded out as a top-10 guard by Pro Football Focus last season. Titans RG Leroy Harris, his replacement, was yanked late in the opener in favor of Kevin Matthews.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was really solid when he was here and then was great with the Titans. I don't know what he is asking for but he was a great draft pick by Polian another one of those we forget about. I would rather overpay a bit and get a solid guard that can keep Luck upright than continue messing around with guys that are up and down and could result in our biggest asset getting taken out. Our offensive line is really the only thing holding back our offense from exploding. We've got speed and talent at wr....solid running backs..and a great rookie qb. If he had time....he would be deadly back there. I was sad we ever let him go but those are decisions....he won't be a FA for ever....there are a lot of teams that have issues on their line and he would be a good guy to plug in.

He probably wants Steve Hutchinson money. Three years, $16 million. I don't see why he wouldn't be worth it.

Yeah, but.......

He's not doing anything.

We want him, and we're willing to give him Vet minimum from someone else's pocket.

If need be, we're willing to give him everything under our cap, and hope that no one else goes down in the last 16 weeks of the season so we don't have to bring anyone else in either.

I don't see the problem. :)

He would be upgrade but we can't pay these guys what ever they want

Take the structure of Hutchinson's contract, and we can more than afford to pay Scott that kind of money. According to Spotrac, we have over $6 million in cap space right now. Let's take that for what it's worth.

Three years, $16 million total, $4.5 million signing bonus

Year 1: Prorated bonus, $1.5 million + base salary $2 million = cap hit of $3.5 million (total cash outlay of $6.5 million)

Year 2: Prorated bonus, $1.5 million + signing bonus $0.5 million + base salary $4.75 million = cap hit of $6.75 million

Year 3: Prorated bonus, $1.5 million + base salary $5 million = cap hit of $6.5 million

You can make adjustments to that contract structure also, giving him more cash and lowering his future cap hits. I don't think the issue is affordability.

what if we re-reconstruct Freeney's contract...

1. It would give us money

2. it would make him more attractive to trade if he didn't want to stay

3. If he wanted to stay he would retire a Colt.

4.. Here's the Biggy... WE Protect our future

just a thought

The room is probably there for this year, definetly have the room next year.

what if we re-reconstruct Freeney's contract...

1. It would give us money

2. it would make him more attractive to trade if he didn't want to stay

3. If he wanted to stay he would retire a Colt.

4.. Here's the Biggy... WE Protect our future

just a thought

I think we should have extended Freeney a long time ago. Him getting hurt doesn't help that cause. It's more likely with every day that goes by that Freeney won't be here next year, and we'll have carried him at a $19 million cap hit all season long. Seems like a waste, when we could extend him and risk nothing more than we are right now, but gain cap space now to make moves like this one.

Take the structure of Hutchinson's contract, and we can more than afford to pay Scott that kind of money. According to Spotrac, we have over $6 million in cap space right now. Let's take that for what it's worth.

Three years, $16 million total, $4.5 million signing bonus

Year 1: Prorated bonus, $1.5 million + base salary $2 million = cap hit of $3.5 million (total cash outlay of $6.5 million)

Year 2: Prorated bonus, $1.5 million + signing bonus $0.5 million + base salary $4.75 million = cap hit of $6.75 million

Year 3: Prorated bonus, $1.5 million + base salary $5 million = cap hit of $6.5 million

You can make adjustments to that contract structure also, giving him more cash and lowering his future cap hits. I don't think the issue is affordability.

Yep, more cash this year with lesser cap hit and greater cap hit next 2 years. We are about $10 mil. under the cap, $3 mil. can go to Jake Scott with still room for others should injuries happen.

I think we should have extended Freeney a long time ago. Him getting hurt doesn't help that cause. It's more likely with every day that goes by that Freeney won't be here next year, and we'll have carried him at a $19 million cap hit all season long. Seems like a waste, when we could extend him and risk nothing more than we are right now, but gain cap space now to make moves like this one.

I may be in the minority here...but I don't want Freeney to resign. He is a great Cover 2 DE and a poor OLB. If we could have gotten anything better than a 5th rd pick he would be gone already. Let him play hard for his new contract somewhere else next year and get at a minimum a 5th rd comp pick next year.

I may be in the minority here...but I don't want Freeney to resign. He is a great Cover 2 DE and a poor OLB. If we could have gotten anything better than a 5th rd pick he would be gone already. Let him play hard for his new contract somewhere else next year and get at a minimum a 5th rd comp pick next year.

At this point it's the only way to lessen his cap hit, but you make a fair point about the 5th rounder... the compensatory pick might be the best case scenario if it even filters out that he's worth one.

Two things:

1) The risk of extending Freeney is only marginally greater than letting him play out the year on his current contract, except that if we extend him and he plays well, we'll have him under contract moving forward.

2) If you get a compensatory pick for Freeney, it will be in the 2014 draft. You don't pay a player $14 million just because you expect to get a 5th round compensatory pick two years later. I think we could get a 5th for Freeney, but I'd rather have his playmaking ability, even if only for one year. It's just the price tag that I don't like.

Jake is just playing the supply/demand game. He has the supply and is waiting for demand to reach the level he is willing to sell his supply.

Yep, I bet Jeff Fisher is calling him right now. Rams lost their center Scott Wells (maybe for season???) that they signed from the Packers (while old Jeff Saturday is chugging along for Green Bay), and their LT Roger Saffold has a neck injury that might make him lose the season. So, not sure if Jake Scott can play RT but the Rams are running out of options while potentially facing a very good Redskins defense.

Two things:

1) The risk of extending Freeney is only marginally greater than letting him play out the year on his current contract, except that if we extend him and he plays well, we'll have him under contract moving forward.

2) If you get a compensatory pick for Freeney, it will be in the 2014 draft. You don't pay a player $14 million just because you expect to get a 5th round compensatory pick two years later. I think we could get a 5th for Freeney, but I'd rather have his playmaking ability, even if only for one year. It's just the price tag that I don't like.

Totally agree.

I think by the time a few weeks go by, some team is going to need a pass rusher bad, and that would be the time to trade Freeney and take our lumps for this year while getting something in return.

Yep, I bet Jeff Fisher is calling him right now. Rams lost their center Scott Wells (maybe for season???) that they signed from the Packers (while old Jeff Saturday is chugging along for Green Bay), and their LT Roger Saffold has a neck injury that might make him lose the season. So, not sure if Jake Scott can play RT but the Rams are running out of options while potentially facing a very good Redskins defense.

If he wants to play then there will be deals to be made... It's just a matter of time..

we are gonna keep him and keep him at his current deal, of that I have no doubts because Freeney would have to agree to restructure and why would he do that in a scheme he isn't comfortable with when he is pulling in 14 million and recovering from an injury, I would have collected that 5th round draft pick long ago and used some of that money to get Jake Scott and Ahmard Hall (true FB) who can be used in Wing T formations as a lead blocker and I Formations while splitting Fleener or Allen out wide in the slot

You and anyone else would play for the Dolphins for the right amount of money. That includes Jake Scott, unless he has a similar offer from another team. And he's worked out for the Dolphins at least twice already, so he's obviously open to it.

Honestly, I wouldn't play for the Dolphins. Them or the Redskins. I've never liked either of the Teams. But hey, that's just me. And I like to play football for the Love & Fun, not a Paycheck

Honestly, I wouldn't play for the Dolphins. Them or the Redskins. I've never liked either of the Teams. But hey, that's just me. And I like to play football for the Love & Fun, not a Paycheck

And that's why I said stop it. Not calling you a liar, but when Jeff Ireland calls your agent and offers you three years, $16 million, I'm pretty sure you'd set that dislike aside. If not, I question your sanity. There's idealism, and then there's opportunism. Sometimes they overlap; most often they don't.

Also, like I mentioned, Jake Scott has worked out for the Dolphins twice already. He's obviously not opposed to playing for them.

And that's why I said stop it. Not calling you a liar, but when Jeff Ireland calls your agent and offers you three years, $16 million, I'm pretty sure you'd set that dislike aside. If not, I question your sanity. There's idealism, and then there's opportunism. Sometimes they overlap; most often they don't.

Also, like I mentioned, Jake Scott has worked out for the Dolphins twice already. He's obviously not opposed to playing for them.

Wouldn't take it, so start questioning lol. Wait, are we talking about Jake Scott or Long?