Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jake Scott OT

CS Colts Fan

You can't restructure a contract in the final year, you can however sign an extension.

So far Freeney's contract has counted 5 million and 1/17th of 14 million against the Colts "total cap" for the year. Each week he is on the roster under the current contract would add another 1/17th to the cap if you want to look at it that way. If an extension were signed today, then the remaining 16/17 would be based on those terms. If he were traded then the remaining 16/17 would be removed.

so trying to get this right, if he signed an extension and was traded then we would not be on the hook for the remaining 16? I have no doubts we are going to keep him and given he has an ankle injury that pretty much seals that deal certainly no one is going to pay for him with an ankle injury

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so trying to get this right, if he signed an extension and was traded then we would not be on the hook for the remaining 16? I have no doubts we are going to keep him and given he has an ankle injury that pretty much seals that deal certainly no one is going to pay for him with an ankle injury

If he were traded, we wouldn't be on the hook for whatever the remainder of his base salary is. That's with or without an extension.

That's a tricky question. It would depend on what was "signed".

The Colts wouldn't actual sign him to trade him. They would allow his agent to seek a deal with Team X, who would then negotiate terms with Freeney and compensation for the Colts.

But to answer your question, if he were traded today, the his dead cap hit would be 5,825,588 for the Colts, freeing up about 13 million in room. Each week he's on the roster without an extension or trade would add another 825,588 to the Colts cap.

Dead Cap After
5,825,588 Week 1
6,651,176 Week 2
7,476,765 Week 3
8,302,353 Week 4
9,127,941 Week 5
9,953,529 Week 6
10,779,118 Week 7
11,604,706 Week 8

So if he were traded at the trade deadline the Colts would get around 7.4 million of cap space while adding 11.6 more of dead money to the ledger.

Freeney doesn't really matter. We have enough money to sign Jake. The last article I saw reported somewhere around 10 million in cap space "This year". It is more likely the years or guaranteed money Scott is asking for is the cause for concern...by all teams...not just us. 2/3 of the league have offensive line issues and he would be an upgrade for almost all of them. We have the money...for Grigson's reasons we aren't doing it. Perhaps its the contract or perhaps he doesn't think we need him.

if i'm scott and it's only about the money i go to the highest bidder. however considering his long tenure in the league i think i'd wait for the right circumstance to occur on a playoff likely team. i can't see why a guy like scott or a recently signed koppen would be interested in the colts or any other rebuilding team unless those types of teams were the only ones interested.

Freeney doesn't really matter. We have enough money to sign Jake. The last article I saw reported somewhere around 10 million in cap space "This year". It is more likely the years or guaranteed money Scott is asking for is the cause for concern...by all teams...not just us. 2/3 of the league have offensive line issues and he would be an upgrade for almost all of them. We have the money...for Grigson's reasons we aren't doing it. Perhaps its the contract or perhaps he doesn't think we need him.

That article wasn't entirely accurate....

What young guy are you talking about? I agree with the principle; if you have promising young players that you've invested resources in, you give them a chance to see the field before you sign someone ahead of them on the depth chart. Otherwise, I'd be interested in Deion Branch. But we don't have any young guards that need to be developed, other than late draft picks and UDFAs. I'd rather have a proven vet who can help the team play better.

Jake Scott is only 31. Getting three good years out of him should be very doable. Considering that Hutchinson signed for three years, and he's 34, I don't see what the problem is.

And we should still be major players in 2013 free agency, even if we were to sign Scott to the Hutchinson contract.

What I'm saying is if for cheap lets do it but what I'm saying is lets wait and see how this year shakes out then next year address oline in free agentcy sign jake long move constanzo to rt then draft guard in 3rd or first we can upgrade def in free agency

All the talk about extending Freeney works great if Freeney wants to extend his deal. If Freeney says no the Colts pretty much have two choices. Pay him or get ride of him. Now if you watch what happened to the defense the moment Freeney came out of the game on Sunday I am not sure the Colts defense is ready to handle the loss of Freeney. So I think they have made the choice for better or worse to pay him and deal with him this off-season.

What I'm saying is if for cheap lets do it but what I'm saying is lets wait and see how this year shakes out then next year address oline in free agentcy sign jake long move constanzo to rt then draft guard in 3rd or first we can upgrade def in free agency

Can't plan on particular free agents. I don't think Jake Long is going anywhere, and if he does I think he'll be massively overpaid. And that still doesn't address our weakness at guard, nor does it preclude us from adding a veteran guard right now.

To be honest, I'd rather draft a right tackle and leave AC at left. Then see what we can do about a guard between the draft and free agency. But none of that helps the line right now. And the line play is pretty poor so far.

He was really solid when he was here and then was great with the Titans. I don't know what he is asking for but he was a great draft pick by Polian another one of those we forget about. I would rather overpay a bit and get a solid guard that can keep Luck upright than continue messing around with guys that are up and down and could result in our biggest asset getting taken out. Our offensive line is really the only thing holding back our offense from exploding. We've got speed and talent at wr....solid running backs..and a great rookie qb. If he had time....he would be deadly back there. I was sad we ever let him go but those are decisions....he won't be a FA for ever....there are a lot of teams that have issues on their line and he would be a good guy to plug in.

That seems like a lot of money to spend on a guard

All the talk about extending Freeney works great if Freeney wants to extend his deal. If Freeney says no the Colts pretty much have two choices. Pay him or get ride of him. Now if you watch what happened to the defense the moment Freeney came out of the game on Sunday I am not sure the Colts defense is ready to handle the loss of Freeney. So I think they have made the choice for better or worse to pay him and deal with him this off-season.

If I were Indy I would NOT restructure. and play it out and let him WALK.

Can't plan on particular free agents. I don't think Jake Long is going anywhere, and if he does I think he'll be massively overpaid. And that still doesn't address our weakness at guard, nor does it preclude us from adding a veteran guard right now.

To be honest, I'd rather draft a right tackle and leave AC at left. Then see what we can do about a guard between the draft and free agency. But none of that helps the line right now. And the line play is pretty poor so far.

I understand what you sayin and I agree with you but only if he comes cheap not a Steve Huntingson deal

If I were Indy I would NOT restructure. and play it out and let him WALK.

Well it sounds like we are going to get a good look at what the Colts defense looks like without him. If they play as well as they did when they had him on Sunday once he gets back and they keep struggling without him then I think they will try to keep him. Either way we it sounds like we are going to get a good look at life without him to have that to compare to him. Also the way Hughes and Addison plays without him will impact that. Either way I've never been a fan of extending him till we knew how important he was to the 3-4 defense.

Just to get this back on topic I don't think the Colts are all that interested in Jake Scott no matter how many of us think they should be. I don't think they want to over pay for him at all and it sounds like that is what Scott is waiting on for someone to over pay for him. I also think if they were interested in him they would have brought him during the free agent period before they made trades for other lineman. It's not like guard just showed up as a need that the Colts didn't know about. While Scott might be worth it in the short term I really doubt he wants a one or two year contract. He's probably looking for some years on that contract and I am betting Grigson probably thinks that due to Scott's age he probably wouldn't be worth over paying for by the end of that contract. While Scott isn't "old" now he would be by the end of a four or five year contract which might very well be what he wants. As a talent I am sure the Colts would love someone like that. My guess is that it's years and money that makes the Colts not interested.

Well it sounds like we are going to get a good look at what the Colts defense looks like without him. If they play as well as they did when they had him on Sunday once he gets back and they keep struggling without him then I think they will try to keep him. Either way we it sounds like we are going to get a good look at life without him to have that to compare to him. Also the way Hughes and Addison plays without him will impact that. Either way I've never been a fan of extending him till we knew how important he was to the 3-4 defense.

Just to get this back on topic I don't think the Colts are all that interested in Jake Scott no matter how many of us think they should be. I don't think they want to over pay for him at all and it sounds like that is what Scott is waiting on for someone to over pay for him. I also think if they were interested in him they would have brought him during the free agent period before they made trades for other lineman. It's not like guard just showed up as a need that the Colts didn't know about. While Scott might be worth it in the short term I really doubt he wants a one or two year contract. He's probably looking for some years on that contract and I am betting Grigson probably thinks that due to Scott's age he probably wouldn't be worth over paying for by the end of that contract. While Scott isn't "old" now he would be by the end of a four or five year contract which might very well be what he wants. As a talent I am sure the Colts would love someone like that. My guess is that it's years and money that makes the Colts not interested.

Freeney will demand too much to come back. The Colts will be in fine position as far as cap space next season. I say address the OL via FA. And hit he D heavy on draft day.

JMO...

Freeney will demand too much to come back. The Colts will be in fine position as far as cap space next season. I say address the OL via FA. And hit he D heavy on draft day.

JMO...

Again I think it depends on how the defense does. The good news coming out of the Freeney injury is that we are going to get an honest look at the defense without him and see exactly what Hughes and or Addison can do. If the defense struggles and those two don't produce and Freeney comes back and the defense looks like it did against the Bears when he was in there then the Colts have little choice but to resign him or find another one of him in the draft or free agency which will not be easy to do. By the same token if one of those two establishes them self as a good player or there is little improve to the defense when Freeney comes back then I think that tells the Colts they can let him walk as well.