Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why is Donald Brown a starter?

GoodLuck

No, we need a guy who can grow with Luck and become an All Pro player one day. There are no players available next season like the one you described.

Jake Long is a free agent if the Dolphins don't resign him (which i'll admit they probably will). He's a guy I wouldn't mind seeing with the Colts. Things change players get cut and become free agents that people don't expect. That's why it's dangerous to judge free agents for next year based on this season. Heck a could be free agent might have a great season this year and hit the market or a guy that would be a star free agent at season might have a bad season or a major injury and have his value drop. Way too early to judge the market for next year.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jake Long is a free agent if the Dolphins don't resign him (which i'll admit they probably will). He's a guy I wouldn't mind seeing with the Colts. Things change players get cut and become free agents that people don't expect. That's why it's dangerous to judge free agents for next year based on this season. Heck a could be free agent might have a great season this year and hit the market or a guy that would be a star free agent at season might have a bad season or a major injury and have his value drop. Way too early to judge the market for next year.

Long and Clady are currently available, but probably won't be by the time the season starts.

Long and Clady are currently available, but probably won't be by the time the season starts.

Which I said when I said they will probably be re-signed but we will see. Like I said it's way too early to judge this coming year's free agent class one way or another. I would prefer to sign a couple of good young linemen coming into their prime if they are there. If they aren't then yes the draft is the next best option but that's gamble because as we have seen you never fully know what you are getting in the draft so no need to just decide it has to be threw the draft before we even know what is going to be on the free agent market next year.

Bottom line: it's the O line. When the O line plays well, Luck looks good, Brown looks good. They play badly, Luck and Brown look awful. That's been the story all game.

I think that explains Browns trouble in the running game. It doesn't excuse dropping open passes and missing blitz pickups. This is the same reason he rarely saw the field when Manning was in town.

Luck needs someone he can rely on in the backfield. Brown still looks as inconsistent as ever.

People see enough of what they want to see in Brown to feel one way or another. I'm not a big Brown supporter but I thought he ran the ball hard (much better than I have seen him in the past). I wasn't happy to see him drop two easy passes but that happens. Brown did pretty well in pass protection and made the most of the runs he had. The line was offensive that is for sure....offensive to my eyes but we expected that. We had a pretty avg line BEFORE the injuries. After the changes we were just plain poor. I thought Constanzo and Justice played pretty solid. The middle just got man handled. Luck has good mobility and can slide up in the pocket and around when he gets outside pressure...I'm not worried about that...but when you get pressure in your face...there is no where to go....and most importantly no where to step into his throws.

I think that explains Browns trouble in the running game. It doesn't excuse dropping open passes and missing blitz pickups. This is the same reason he rarely saw the field when Manning was in town.

Luck needs someone he can rely on in the backfield. Brown still looks as inconsistent as ever.

Actually, the two dropped passes were inexcusable. I'd have to look back to see how his pass blocking was. To me, it still looked like the offensive line was the problem, though.

At least Ballard looks like he wants to get yards. Brown tip toes to the hole and now dropping crucial passes

did you miss gthe game...Brown had two strong runs..one for a ..

I dont see Ballard getting any yards either, its not a Brown problem

9 carries..48 yards and a TD and he sat out the fourth quarter...

He dropped 2 passes.....one which might have been a TD..

....But 5.3 a carry against the Bears is good....

Actually, the two dropped passes were inexcusable. I'd have to look back to see how his pass blocking was. To me, it still looked like the offensive line was the problem, though.

Dropped passes happen..actually....he's been a reliable receiver..

5 yards a carry...folks ....against the Bears...

I'll take it

This is true if the Colts had someone better I am sure they would use him.

He picked up the blitz well...and he ran well when he had a block or two.....

we only gave him the ball 9 times because we were behind...

He dropped 2 passes......but that's not been a problem..and I dont think it will be going forward....

This just in: We also wont play the Bears every week...9 for 52 could be 18 for 106 in weeks to come

He dropped 2 passes......but that's not been a problem..and I dont think it will be going forward....

This just in: We also wont play the Bears every week...9 for 52 could be 18 for 106 in weeks to come

I did think Brown played well. The problem with the two dropped passes was that he tried to make a move before he caught the ball. That's a rookie type mistake, but I don't think it'll be a recurrent problem.

You know I am not overly worried about his running numbers he showed if you give him blocking what he can do I always have been and will stay worried about the o-line in that regard.

However the dropped passes is something to be concerned about. That's just a flat out lack of focus on his part. Once okay that happens but the very next time Luck went to him he did it again! That is something that might be able to be corrected with some good coaching. Hopefully the coaches single that out with the film this week and Brown gets the message. However, NFL players just can't drop passes like that. It's inexcusable.

With that said It's just one part of the game and like I said before if the Colts had someone better I am sure they would be out there. They don't and that's not a shot at Brown per say. You can say that about any player on the roster.

You know I am not overly worried about his running numbers he showed if you give him blocking what he can do I always have been and will stay worried about the o-line in that regard.

However the dropped passes is something to be concerned about. That's just a flat out lack of focus on his part. Once okay that happens but the very next time Luck went to him he did it again! That is something that might be able to be corrected with some good coaching. Hopefully the coaches single that out with the film this week and Brown gets the message. However, NFL players just can't drop passes like that. It's inexcusable.

With that said It's just one part of the game and like I said before if the Colts had someone better I am sure they would be out there. They don't and that's not a shot at Brown per say. You can say that about any player on the roster.

I really ticked that he dropped those, but again, I don't think it'll be a long term issue. The coaches will fix that real quick.

But GoC...

Dropped passes have not been a problem for him.....catching is actually a strength..

It IS lack of concentration like you say...exactly right.....but NFL players do drop passes..Matt Forte dropped one, too

Brown went 70 with Luck's first practice pass remember...?

He'll be fine and for most of the game Sunday..he was fine.

we do have other isssues..agreed?

But GoC...

Dropped passes have not been a problem for him.....catching is actually a strength..

It IS lack of concentration like you say...exactly right.....but NFL players do drop passes..Matt Forte dropped one, too

Brown went 70 with Luck's first practice pass remember...?

He'll be fine and for most of the game Sunday..he was fine.

we do have other isssues..agreed?

I don't care if it hasn't been a problem for him or not it was today so there for it's a problem now. That would have been like the Colts looking at the QB poistion last year and saying you know what the QB poistion hasn't been a problem in the past so it wont be in the future it was just an off-season and not doing anything to address it. That's more or less what you are saying that it was just an off day for Brown. I could buy that if he just dropped them. That happens to everyone. My issues is with the way he dropped them. He dropped them by losing focus and looking down the field before he caught the passes which is one of the first things they teach you when you start football at the pee wee level, look the ball in before you run. That's inexcusable for an NFL player I don't care how much they have or haven't done it in the past and judging by how Pagano has run his ship so far I am guessing the Colts coaches will agree with that and I also expect it to be addressed.

I told everyone. But that 4.8ypc was so great last year. :rolleyes:

I'm surprised you haven't learned this lesson by now....

But inserting "I told everyone...." or.... "I told you so....." is rarely a winning strategy.

It makes people roll their eyes.... :rolleyes:

You might want to consider a different approach.... or not, your call.... :slaphead:

I'm surprised you haven't learned this lesson by now....

But inserting "I told everyone...." or.... "I told you so....." is rarely a winning strategy.

It makes people roll their eyes.... :rolleyes:

You might want to consider a different approach.... or not, your call.... :slaphead:

Guess you've learned the ins and outs in only five months. Good job. :thmup:

Yeah, he may not see the field again today. I still think he's the best running back on the roster, it's a shame he's still so one-dimensional. That just doesn't cut it in todays NFL.

You think Brown is one-dimensional?

When given holes is a pretty decent runner, and his pass blocking is usually top notch.

He had a few drops today, but he usually is sure handed.

walter payton couldn't run behind this oline.. hopefully some adjustments can be made

Brown had like 48 yards on 9 carries for around a 5 yard per carry avg. They should have done more to establish the

run today. Looking at his numbers he could have had a 100 yard day. I was dissapointed with Donalds hands today!

He was dropping everything that was thrown to him, which is not like him.

You think Brown is one-dimensional?

When given holes is a pretty decent runner, and his pass blocking is usually top notch.

He had a few drops today, but he usually is sure handed.

If they would have done more to establish the run today he would have had 100 yards. He had 48 yards on 9 carries. For some reason they wanted to recreate the Peyton Manning days and throw until the cows came home.

Bottom line: it's the O line. When the O line plays well, Luck looks good, Brown looks good. They play badly, Luck and Brown look awful. That's been the story all game.

I don't think 9 carries for 48 yards and a 5 yards per carry avg is awful at all. If anything they needed to run him more.

To be honest there were several occasions where the line gave Luck a lot of time, but Luck made bad throws as much

as we don't want to say Luck had some miscues as well that had nothing to do with blocking.

My brother in law came to this agreement about D. Brown; He either gets nothing or less, or 10yrds or more. Dude has no flippin middle ground game

Like I said earlier this week he's like a power hitter in baseball. He's going to strike out more than most players do but you live with it because of what he can do when he hits home runs. The problem is to this point in his career Brown has struck out way too often and not hit home runs enough.

If they would have done more to establish the run today he would have had 100 yards. He had 48 yards on 9 carries. For some reason they wanted to recreate the Peyton Manning days and throw until the cows came home.

When they tried to establish the run early Brown wasn't getting anything (not his fault line's fault). Then they put together a couple of solid drives for run blocking and he got his yards. When they tried to go back to it he was back to not being able to get anything and then we were down by so much they gave up on it because they needed points and you don't get that running the ball and taking time off the clock. Not all Brown's fault frankly I still blame the o-line. They are the main problem.

Guess you've learned the ins and outs in only five months. Good job. :thmup:

Actually, I've learned the ins and outs in more than a dozen years of posting elsewhere....

Look.... I don't expect people to always agree with me, or even always like me. I can rub people the wrong way even without trying! And I didn't mean to rub you the wrong way as well.

But, there's little upside in playing the.... "I told you so..." card.... or any other version that comes close to that.

There are more subtle ways to say what you want to say.... that's all I'm trying to suggest.

And I'll say this..... if I had half a brain today (I don't) I would have -- and should have -- made my comment to you private and not public.

This should not have played out here on line for all eyes to see.

My bad! See, all those years of posting, and I still have my head up my.... well.... you know where!! :slaphead:

See?? You're never too old to learn! :thmup:

good :edit: question bench brown start ballard i don't no why we kept him to begin with how do you drop two simple passes cmon

because while Brown might not have done much running the ball Ballard did nothing when he got a chance to run, again if the Colts had someone better they would play him and just because the fans don't happen to like someone doesn't make his back up better.