Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Will Play Quoted From Various Sources

GoColts8818

Peter King just reported he talked to Jeff Saturday this week and he said Manning is going to play Dungy backed it up with that he couldn't get him out when we were up 3 TDs and that Manning wants Favre's record more than any and tht he will play week one. In fact Dungy just said make it 209 straight starts and counting.

Peter King just reported he talked to Jeff Saturday this week and he said Manning is going to play Dungy backed it up with that he couldn't get him out when we were up 3 TDs and that Manning wants Favre's record more than any and tht he will play week one. In fact Dungy just said make it 209 straight starts and counting.

I think I have to agree with Dungy and if he can he will be on the field. I just hope they have a game plan this week and get the O-line clicking. Well I guess we'll see if Saturday and Dungy are right. I still would like a better back up other than Painter. I think it's time to cut ties with the Painter unless he really shows more this week than the last 2 games.

Dungy also said there was no way the Saints could beat the Colts in the Super Bowl. Since then I don't really listen to what he has to say. I'm still bitter.

yes because Dungy had anything to do with that loss... Heaven knows he's the first person in the media to be wrong about a game prediction.

I was more happy that Saturday said it. He's in camp and close to the situation and as Peter King said is probably Manning's closet confidant on the team so it wouldn't be shocking if he knows what's going on.

Speaking at halftime of NBC Sunday Night Football ex-Colts coach Tony Dungy emphatically stated that Peyton Manning will play in Week 1 "unless he's dead."

Dungy noted that Manning's consecutive games streak means as much or more to him than any other record. The former Colts coach also said Manning hates to miss one snap much less an entire game.

so, i mean, the favre thing is pure due diligence i think

so can every one relax?

But it doesn't change the fact we still need a reliable backup QB. Just because Manning hasn't missed a snap (or a game) doesn't mean he wont. Even a few snaps can prove disastrous for us, because all of a sudden you're now looking at Curtis Painter stepping in with a one-dimensional offense (ie. we're going to run it, because we don't trust Painter!). Defenses will blitz Painter like mad. This will cost us a possession, a fumble, a game, what have you.

I understand Manning loves his record, but last I checked, he's not a robot (I think).

But it doesn't change the fact we still need a reliable backup QB. Just because Manning hasn't missed a snap (or a game) doesn't mean he wont. Even a few snaps can prove disastrous for us, because all of a sudden you're now looking at Curtis Painter stepping in with a one-dimensional offense (ie. we're going to run it, because we don't trust Painter!). Defenses will blitz Painter like mad. This will cost us a possession, a fumble, a game, what have you.

I understand Manning loves his record, but last I checked, he's not a robot (I think).

thanks for the reply, we need a back up qb, we always needed one, sorgi, was average, so since 99' we needed 1,

why now is everyone getting their panties in a bunch, oh ya,

dec 6th ill send out a search party!

you sure? then explain the super computer he calls a brain lol

Yea you'll be rid of me Dec. 6th :).

And yea I never though I'd say this, but I miss Sorgi.

same i miss sorgi, is he still with the giants, if not, i do not understand the issue , not getting him back on board!!

no nothing to get rid of you my brotha! -- looking out, although, we may not mesh well, you are a colt fan, which is better than a pats fan, id rather have you come back in 1 piece, than 50,000 Plus of pats fans

even since 99' how often has a back up played a snap in a meaningful game

I never doubted he'd be playing the 1st game...he's that way. Can't wait!

But, I am surprised to hear myself say that I miss Sorgi too.

Being a Purdue alumni, I gotta (oughta) root for Painter, but there have been many painful moments in doing so.

He had pretty good college stats and should be doing better now that he's had time to get used to the big stage.

Ummm, not sure what I would do if I was coach...

honest, i really think if painter pulls a good couple of drives together he may be decent

but that jets game, screwed him up royally

Yeah, so Painter needs work, to put it mildly. But I honestly believe the Colts won't need a backup come week one. I still don't get why people are demanding a "good" backup. Until Peyton actually misses a game, I'm not worried.

Yeah, so Painter needs work, to put it mildly. But I honestly believe the Colts won't need a backup come week one. I still don't get why people are demanding a "good" backup. Until Peyton actually misses a game, I'm not worried.

not to mention why waste 2-3 million dollars on a quality backup when we can use it else where

same i miss sorgi, is he still with the giants, if not, i do not understand the issue , not getting him back on board!!

no nothing to get rid of you my brotha! -- looking out, although, we may not mesh well, you are a colt fan, which is better than a pats fan, id rather have you come back in 1 piece, than 50,000 Plus of pats fans

even since 99' how often has a back up played a snap in a meaningful game

after damaging his shoulder last year and going on IR , hes a FA

PS 1 snap, & Mark rypkin fumbled ball away, Manning came back to torch that team after he took a vicious hit that wa ilegal cheap shot

honest, i really think if painter pulls a good couple of drives together he may be decent

I think you are right. They always say that golf is mostly about the 5-6 inches between your ears...I think we have that issue with Painter. Which is why he has looked really good in practice (saw it myself) but not in game situations. I think it's mental and goes back to that Jets game. He puts way too much pressure on himself and forces things. He never tasted success at the NFL level so he has nothing to go on...it may even go back to college when he was benched. He has the physical gifts; big arm, tall, sweet He-Man hair...but mentally he's Tiger Woods (today's messed up version, not the 2005-2008 dominating version)

I would like to see Painter with a full complement of starters, though...If he fails with Collie/Gonzo/Reggie/Clark, then we will know he will probably never get it done.

As for Peyton, he'll be fine and start week 1. What I hate is that it's on the road (again) @ Texans. Thanks NFL for putting us over the barrel...am I the only one that sees right through that little scheduling quirk? combine the rust/timing issues, Bum's Son and the new D that has looked better so far, and it may be a loss even with Manning.

If one game completely destroys his psyche then Polian might as well just cut him now. Then again he didn't have that strong of a psyche back at Purdue and would get crushed there after one big hit so we all should have saw this coming.

We better all just pray that Manning is a go week 1. Making a trade or signing some free agent like Bulger will be a disaster to because they will not know the WRs or the system at all. The loss just will not be as bad with someone like Bulger or Collins as it would be with Painter.

Houston will win the division, Manning or no Manning so it is hyper-critical the Colts throw all they have against the Texans keeping in mind how teams are selected for the playoffs when the records are equal. It's a shame to risk losing him for the year or part of the year with another neck injury but that is the way the game is played.

I don't doubt Manning will make every effort to be out there. Streak or no streak.

He know's the other QB's on the roster would have trouble winning the starting spots on a decent college team....and as such, if he's alive, he's going to give it a go.

If the team had a b/u that he believed in, he probably would still want to be out there...but would realize that one or two games doesn't a season (or career) make and hopefully would not have to rush things. He knows that given the guys on the roster today...if he doesn't play, they have virtually no chance of winning.

Ok Guys dont assume that PRESEASON bad play means the QB is no good. I remember very well How BAD Cassell looked in 2008 during preseason I believe all the talking heads thought he was going be cut. Well look what happened.

Very true.

Backup needs a couple reg season games before knowing.