Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NT Looking Thin! What could our options be?

weslo1812

Seeing now that McKinney is gone for the season and we won't get Chapman back untill weeks 6-8 somewhere Im pretty concerned about this spot now. As of right now our primary NT is Johnson and then the Undrafted guy Chigbo Anunoby and after that we dont really have anyone. So Im interested in hearing anyones thoughts and opinion on what we could do to temporarley help/solidify this positon?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope Chapman can return at the soonest possible time he is allowed. I dont want him rushed back but were gonna need him bad!!! Johnson can hold his own but hes not gonna be the dominat prsence we need demanding double teams. I just hope when he does come back he can stay healthy. The Colts seem to be very volnerable to injuries and very irratating.

I would think the Colts would search through the FA market for a solid nose tackle but the problem is I don't know who's left.

Which is why I don't think we've made a move yet. I think the Colts are waiting for final cut downs and then they will see what is out there. You are very right to suggest one might not be out there just because it's a need for the Colts doesn't mean there is a player worth signing and I think sometimes as fans we forget this.

Johnson is doing just fine and has been in on some tackles as well, if your looking for someone on the D Line thats suspect then look no further then Ricardo Matthews and Drake Nevis when they are in there, Neither are consistent when holding there ground. Neither are suitable 3-4 defensive ends. Moala has done good as well

Mookie is the starter, Anuoby is the backup and Chapman comes back later in the season.

I think they'll have to stick with 2 healthy guys right now and pick up a guy if any of those 2 get injured.

Boy, I don't know if a two man rotation is going to work between Mookie, and a Rookie. Mookie needs more rest than that.

Unless, of course, the D is lights out, with a lot of 3 and outs.

I thought he was, or was about to be also.

Don't recall why or what gave me that impression.

In the Steelers game we played he was out with injury and the announcers were talking about the guy playing for him that he could be a replacement for Hampton someday. I think that is probably where it came from. With that said the announcers also pointed out that the Steelers expected to have Hampton back and he would be a Steeler this year.

Isn't that DT formerly of the 49ers and last year the Saints still available?

Last I looked Franklin was in SD. I wanted us to sign him in the offseason.....if he gets released they'd be wise to at least take a look at him. I mean, the dude was a beast at Nose a couple years ago, he can't have regressed too much.

I keep wanting to say Anthony Hargrove, but man that suspension really Bengals that up...

We'll see what final roster cuts leave out on the market for us...

No offense John, but how is Hargrove going to help us at NT? He's 6'3" 282 lbs. He is a DE and like you said, he's suspended half the season.

We should only be in a 3-4 less than 50% of the time. So Mookie is (I hate to say valuable) neede since he's less ineffective at DT.

That being said, I agree with everyone here, there has to be someone on waivers who can beat him out at NT.

Last I looked Franklin was in SD. I wanted us to sign him in the offseason.....if he gets released they'd be wise to at least take a look at him. I mean, the dude was a beast at Nose a couple years ago, he can't have regressed too much.

I was mad we couldn't get him also. But then I was happy when we signed McKinney. Then I was sad again when we McKinney. :sigh:

We should only be in a 3-4 less than 50% of the time. So Mookie is (I hate to say valuable) neede since he's less ineffective at DT.

That being said, I agree with everyone here, there has to be someone on waivers who can beat him out at NT.

I don't get this, I have watched every preseason game at least twice and I have yet to see us play anything but a 3-4. A lot of the time it is more like a 5-2 but its still a 3 man front with Mathis and Freeney on the outside.

Boy, I don't know if a two man rotation is going to work between Mookie, and a Rookie. Mookie needs more rest than that.

Unless, of course, the D is lights out, with a lot of 3 and outs.

A rookie who wasn't even good enough get drafted by any team, in any round, at that.

I don't get this, I have watched every preseason game at least twice and I have yet to see us play anything but a 3-4. A lot of the time it is more like a 5-2 but its still a 3 man front with Mathis and Freeney on the outside.

Perhaps we change it up a bit more in regular season?

Perhaps we change it up a bit more in regular season?

Possible I guess, but I get the feeling from some people here they are expecting to see the traditional 4-3 they are use to seeing and I just don't think that will be the case. I think they are confused on what they think the hybrid D is going to be. I highly doubt we are going to see a 4 man front with a NT, UT, and 2 speed rushers on the edge(Mathis and Freeney). The extent of Pagano's hybrid is a typical 3 man front and still rushing 2 edge rushers.

I highly doubt we are going to see a 4 man front with a NT, UT, and 2 speed rushers on the edge(Mathis and Freeney).

Why??? The hybrid plays matchups. I expect more 3 man fronts vs run heavy division rivals and 4 man fronts vs offenses like the Pats, Packers and Lions. Ravens played 4 man fronts 58% of the defensive snaps last year, with an NT like Ngata in the middle. Sometimes, they go 3-4-4, sometimes they went 3-3-5, and sometimes 4-2-5 and 2-4-5. They mix it up.

Dont be surprised if your doubts are put to rest. 4 man fronts are not going to go away.

Why??? The hybrid plays matchups. I expect more 3 man fronts vs run heavy division rivals and 4 man fronts vs offenses like the Pats, Packers and Lions. Ravens played 4 man fronts 58% of the defensive snaps last year, with an NT like Ngata in the middle. Sometimes, they go 3-4-4, sometimes they went 3-3-5, and sometimes 4-2-5 and 2-4-5. They mix it up.

Dont be surprised if your doubts are put to rest. 4 man fronts are not going to go away.

Why? Because we have yet to see it in preseason. Now would be the time to use it if we were going to and yet, they haven't.

Yes we've been 3-4 a lot in preseason establishing that as our base, but there has been a lot of hybrid played as well and some nickel. To me, the Hybrid is 3 DT/DE's + 1 edge rusher (Freeney/Addison on the weakside). We don't have a DT as versatile as Ngata (who does), so we bring in Nevis or Shirley for these looks while leaving our NT. Nickel will put Freeney/Mathis back in their old roles with 2 DT's....and we'll do that a lot - just as the Ravens did that a lot.

I agree. Not to mention that Freeney hasn't looked great standing up either.

Yes we've been 3-4 a lot in preseason establishing that as our base, but there has been a lot of hybrid played as well and some nickel. To me, the Hybrid is 3 DT/DE's + 1 edge rusher (Freeney/Addison on the weakside). We don't have a DT as versatile as Ngata (who does), so we bring in Nevis or Shirley for these looks while leaving our NT. Nickel will put Freeney/Mathis back in their old roles with 2 DT's....and we'll do that a lot - just as the Ravens did that a lot.

I realize we won't be in a true 3-4 front all the time, but there are some here that seem to think that we will just revert back to a typical 4-3 and I don't think that will happen. We are a 3-4 team now that will play some 3 man fronts, 5 man fronts and yes, some 4 man fronts, but not a typical 4-3 like I think some are expecting.

I realize we won't be in a true 3-4 front all the time, but there are some here that seem to think that we will just revert back to a typical 4-3 and I don't think that will happen. We are a 3-4 team now that will play some 3 man fronts, 5 man fronts and yes, some 4 man fronts, but not a typical 4-3 like I think some are expecting.

No, you are right, it is fundamentally different. In games where we play a lot of nickel, though, I think some will be confused and think it looks just like what we used to play, and our 4-2-5 look absolutely will up front, though I don't think we'll play the same coverage behind it.

If your definition of typical 4-3 is a Cover 2 coverage behind that 4 man front, you will see that fewer times. My definition of a 4-3 is fluid, in the sense that you will see 4 man fronts but those LBs or safeties are not going to sit back and will add to the pressure, ala Bears or Saints' SB winning style.

There will be instances where, on 3rd and long, we will see that dreaded Cover 2 coverage where we swarm to the ball after conceding a 4 or 5 yard pass when they have to make 3rd and 12 plus :). But mixing it up is the key and that is what we need to expect. There will be some plays that will resemble a typical 4-3 but it wont be for THE ENTIRE GAME like the past. :)

That might also help us get the most out of Nevis, who is our best UT pass rusher for the 1-gap. Remember when Warren Sapp was asked to play 3-4 DE with the Raiders, he was washed out as well as a 5-technique. We will get the most out of Nevis in the 4-man front, IMO, with or without Cover 2 in the backfield.

The reason you think that Johnson isn't good is because...you're right. He's not a good NT.

Haaa, I thought you were about to go into a Lecture. lol

But that's just me, I honestly don't think he's Good. But he must be doing something cause he's started 3 Pre-Season games in a row. Idk what Pagano & them are doing, but we need someone like Hampton from the Steelers. We don't need him, but we need someone to play like him or close to it. And Johnson just isn't doing it

The thought that we're a 3-4 defense is a bit of a misnomer. We're going to play several fronts. It's important to have a quality nose tackle when we do use a three-down alignment, so your concern is absolutely valid. We're not going to just scrap everything 3-4 from the playbook. But we're not the Steelers, going to play 3-4 90% of the time. We're going to switch our fronts up from series to series, play to play, game to game, etc. We'll come out on some possessions and look like a 1-gap defense, in which case it's not necessary to have a prototypical nose tackle at all.