Jared Cisneros

Any news on Leonard or Braden Smith signing their contracts?

On 6/10/2018 at 8:49 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

So folks need to be prepared for some 'real down time' soon.  It's summer!  Vacay time...

Yup. After this week, it's the dreaded doldrums of the offseason, for about 6 weeks.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2018 at 1:49 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

I appreciate the concern, but I think I just need a break from football until training camp possibly. Until then, not seeing any progress from Luck, seeing injured players, and worrying about Leonard and Braden signing is going to stress me out. Nothing is going to come of it right now, so I just need to worry about it when it would make a difference, and that's later on. Unfortunately, there's a large chunk of time between now and then and I'm impatient lol.

I am with you mate, the time between week 17 and week 1 is far too long, it plays with the mind!

As others have said, I think you may be reading too much into things. 

Can I make a suggestion for distraction.....the World Cup starts in two days! haha

On 6/8/2018 at 9:54 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

If it wasn't a contract holdout, wouldn't they of signed their contracts by now? I understand injury issues, but that shouldn't keep you from signing an NFL contract. 

It's continuing negotiations.  It's not a holdout until they stop practicing or arn't playing in games as a result.  

We all want to see it get done but it's far too early to be worrying too much about it.  They are practicing, let them and the Colts worry about negotiating their contracts.  They still have to look out for their own financial futures.  

I'll be critical if they hold out as a result, but I'm not going to worry about it until that happens.

4 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

I am with you mate, the time between week 17 and week 1 is far too long, it plays with the mind!

As others have said, I think you may be reading too much into things. 

Can I make a suggestion for distraction.....the World Cup starts in two days! haha

Yeah, that could work. My best friend and I have fanduel accounts, and we are doing soccer, trying to predict scores and split our winnings if we hit the exact score on the game. So we'll watch the Russia/Saudi Arabia game as free entertainment.

• Like 1

A little misdirection never hurts when trying to gain advantages in pro football. Never show all your cards. There's a lot of fame and fortune if one can stay in the line-up and work through the injuries. Some people will attack a known injury and who can blame them in today's game.

Just say it's a lower body injury and let them all try and figure it out. Advantage Colts.

On 6/8/2018 at 10:19 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

I honestly am not sure at this point, just frustrated that something suspicious is always going on with this team. If we're not in the news for the wrong reasons, then it's something like injuries. Just hoping for a season that I can enjoy this year. Was very excited after the draft, now I'm feeling very concerned with the number of non-participants in OTA's due to injuries (they seem to nag the players), the non-signings, and getting the run around about Luck's injury. I feel like a dog chasing his tail with no prize at the end. My optimism has turned to frustration.

Sorry for the rant...

No worries. There is no way this will be an issue.

48 minutes ago, dw49 said:

No worries. There is no way this will be an issue.

Well, you responded 6 days later after Luck was throwing again. I'm pretty sure I changed my mind now.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Well, you responded 6 days later after Luck was throwing again. I'm pretty sure I changed my mind now.

Yeah we got some great news for a change. With Luck in the equation, assuming he is healthy and stays that way we should be in contention for a Playoff spot. I think the new change in culture with our Coaching Staff will help this team too. I also think our Defense will be better, how can it not.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah we got some great news for a change. With Luck in the equation, assuming he is healthy and stays that way we should be in contention for a Playoff spot. I think the new change in culture with our Coaching Staff will help this team too. I also think our Defense will be better, how can it not.

Yeah, it helps that something went in our direction. Hopefully Luck and everyone else that was banged up will now be ready for training camp, and we can put our new plan into place. This team has a lot of potential with the new additions from the draft. Preseason will be especially fun when everyone gets a shot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, it helps that something went in our direction. Hopefully Luck and everyone else that was banged up will now be ready for training camp, and we can put our new plan into place. This team has a lot of potential with the new additions from the draft. Preseason will be especially fun when everyone gets a shot.

Yep and hopefully Hooker will be ready to go too. I think Nelson will pan out, love that pick.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep and hopefully Hooker will be ready to go too. I think Nelson will pan out, love that pick.

Nelson should be amazing. Hooker was just starting an amazing year with 3 early INT's before his injury. If he plays, he should be a gamechanger for us. Just have to hope as many of these players hit as possible from the draft. It's been rough the 5 years with Grigson draft-wise, and we desperately need some talent on this team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

What does Luck throwing have to do with the 2 draft picks signing their contracts ? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dw49 said:

What does Luck throwing have to do with the 2 draft picks signing their contracts ? 

He doesn't, but to be fair, I didn't know which issue you were talking about. You didn't put anything in bold, you just quoted the entire paragraph, so I had to guess, and I guessed you meant Luck being healthy because of the recent news about him throwing. We've heard nothing on Leonard or Smith signing at this time.

On 6/9/2018 at 10:21 AM, indyagent17 said:

What really shocked me is a guy who didn't sign a contract is practicing at organized team activities. That's just plain stupid. He gets hurt he gets a settlement nothing near what his contract would be

That's not true.  If a player gets injured before he signs a contract the team still has negotiate in good faith and offer a contract as if the player is not injured.

And with the new rookie wage scale and that all contracts are reviewed by both the NFL and players union a team cannnot get away with juster offering a settlement.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2018 at 10:25 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

He doesn't, but to be fair, I didn't know which issue you were talking about. You didn't put anything in bold, you just quoted the entire paragraph, so I had to guess, and I guessed you meant Luck being healthy because of the recent news about him throwing. We've heard nothing on Leonard or Smith signing at this time.

I was referring to the thread of your topic. But yeah the thread did morph a bit and I see what you meant.

As to Leonard and Smith , I said (at least I feel)  no worries because there just is not anything big enough to fight about for players taken in the second round. So my point is , IMO , neither side would negotiate tough enough to hurt their side. Just doesn't happen anymore . Maybe a serious injury issue or a 1st rounder that has serious character issue and is a real boom or bust ?

If it wasn't a contract holdout, wouldn't they of signed their contracts by now? I understand injury issues, but that shouldn't keep you from signing an NFL contract. 

Just want to point out one additional thing to my prior list which was-

Size of the signing bonus - this can be amortized over the length of the contract, but it is essentially guaranteed money.

Timing of signing bonus payments. Teams attempt to defer portions of a large signing bonus. They want the use of the money, and to time payments made from television and other sources with the payouts.

Whether the salaries are guaranteed for skill (performance) and/or injury.

Offset language, capability to reduce salary if a player is let go and said player end up on another team roster with pay.

**************************************************************************************

That is, not all teams want to pay all guys up front so early.  There's no hurry for the team right now, and no football activity until mid/late July. Sometimes, maybe they want to let go of the funds just before the guys show up for camp.  This isn't the old days where teams had serious negotiations with their draft picks/agent(s), and sometimes they dragged on way too long until finally the guy that has never played for your team just became the highest paid player on that team as well.

• Thanks 1

That is a VAST oversimplification of how NFL contract signing process works.

The fact is, us fans know not even 0.01% of what's going on in the process.

I remember at the same time last year, fans were thinking Tarell Basham was holding out because he signed his contract last.