Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

In their prime

CR91

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

19423989_10213370252111379_5437859219310417355_n.jpg

This is going to get a lot of hate but I would say Barry goes. Before his injury Bo Jackson was the most talented back = Power and Speed wise I have ever seen - you are talking prime so he stays. Emmitt Smith gets overlooked because he had a Great O.Line but he had the best vision out of all 4 of these backs and he could play with injury. He dominated Lawrence Taylor and the Giants Defense in NY with HFA on the line with a separated shoulder - he stays easily. Guy won 3 SB's and was a huge reason why as well. Walter Payton was Emmitt Smith before Emmitt Smith with that great work ethic. I love Barry's game but he was hit or miss. He had the ability to take it to the house for 70 Yards but a lot of times he got stuffed for losses too. I still have a tough time getting out of my head Barry's performance against Green Bay in the Playoffs in 1994, where he had -1 yard on 13 carries. How's that happen? That would never happen to other 3 RB's in this photo in a Playoff game.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This is going to get a lot of hate but I would say Barry goes. Before his injury Bo Jackson was the most talented back = Power and Speed wise I have ever seen - you are talking prime so he stays. Emmitt Smith gets overlooked because he had a Great O.Line but he had the best vision out of all 4 of these backs and he could play with injury. He dominated Lawrence Taylor and the Giants Defense in NY with HFA on the line with a separated shoulder - he stays easily. Guy won 3 SB's and was a huge reason why as well. Walter Payton was Emmitt Smith before Emmitt Smith with that great work ethic. I love Barry's game but he was hit or miss. He had the ability to take it to the house for 70 Yards but a lot of times he got stuffed for losses too. I still have a tough time getting out of my head Barry's performance against Green Bay in the Playoffs in 1994, where he had -1 yard on 13 carries. How's that happen? That would never happen to other 3 RB's in this photo in a Playoff game.

A lot of good points, but the biggest reason Barry lost a lot of yards was because he constantly had to improvise. He had defenders in his face before he touched the ball. He had no oline to help him, no QB to take pressure off of him, and no wr to take attention away from him. Barry had basically nothing and yet his productively speaks for itself

25 minutes ago, CR91 said:

A lot of good points, but the biggest reason Barry lost a lot of yards was because he constantly had to improvise. He had defenders in his face before he touched the ball. He had no oline to help him, no QB to take pressure off of him, and no wr to take attention away from him. Barry had basically nothing and yet his productively speaks for itself

I know and that is why I feel terrible saying Barry goes because I actually liked him. But the other 3 were that great to. If we are talking full career, Bo goes because he had a short career due to injury.

I still say Barry, no way Emmitt should be left off. Yeah Emmitt gets a raw deal because he had a Great O.Line (I assuming that is why people are saying Emmitt) but he could play injured and his vision is unmatched. Career wise Emmitt is the equivalent to Jerry Rice per position. Everyone thinks Jerry Rice is the GOAT at his position by a mile because he has the main WR records and won 3 SB's, Emmitt also has the main Rushing records and won 3 SB's. Downgrading Emmitt because he had a Great O.Line would be like me saying Jerry Rice isn't the GOAT because he had Montana and Young throwing him the ball his entire career in SF.

I guess you could say this thread is for 1970's> babies. lol. I was five when Emmitt won his last one. I remember my mom holding me and jumping up and down when they beat the steelers.. 

If this was Preist Holms, Marshall Faulk, Ladainian Tomlinson, Terrel Davis I'd be able to chime in :thmup:

1 minute ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I guess you could say this thread is for 1970's> babies. lol. I was five when Emmitt won his last one. I remember my mom holding me and jumping up and down when they beat the steelers.. 

If this was Preist Holms, Marshall Faulk, Ladainian Tomlinson, Terrel Davis I'd be able to chime in :thmup:

On that list Holmes needs to go but Holmes was Great.

Bo is out imo. I respect him obviously but he never played a full year. The Packers game was Barry's only unimaginably bad game ever, to go with a handful of underwhelming games in 1992, the Lion's worst year that had more to do with the whole Championship game loser curse than it did Barry who still had a good year. Meanwhile does anybody know the 1st of 2 team that actually beat the Cowboys in the playoffs during their dynasty? Believe it or not, it was the Detroit Lions. It's possible that the Lions with Barry were the 3rd best team in the league. The Packers just had their number, whose number the Cowboys had. 

7 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

im 26. you need to know the history of this game to really appreciate it 

I guess you have to mention Smith because of his records but as far as talent he's no where close to these guys. I would put AP in his prime in this group over Smith. I know I'm one of the older posters on this board but Gale Sayers was the best I have seen while in his prime. Earl Campbell was the strongest back I've ever seen an absolute freak. 

On 6/26/2017 at 9:11 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No hate from me I think you are wrong but not as wrong as those putting Emmitt out. The OL thing gets old Dallas didn't have the best OL every year.  The game vs the Giants was amazing.  He played with one arm. It's ridiculous to dismiss him like the board has. I'd love to know how many of them were old enough to watch him play.  He was as tough as they come and would do whatever it takes to win. The guy is what football and greatness is about. 

The answer is Bo Jackson and it's not close. The guy had a great Monday Night game although the 91 yard. TD he went untouched OL?  He never had a 1000 yard season. He has less than 3k career yards. He doesn't compare to the other guys on the list. Could he have been better than all of them maybe. The fact is he wasn't plain and simple. He was a baseball player 

4 hours ago, NFLfan said:

They're all great. Process of elimination: Payton, Jackson, Sanders

That leaves Emmitt Smith. 

Process of elimination? Career yards Emmitt 18K Walter 16K Barry 15K and Bo 2782.  How's Bo in this conversation? You'd take a guy who never had a 1000 yard season over the NFL'a all time leading rusher?  

2 minutes ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

I guess you have to mention Smith because of his records but as far as talent he's no where close to these guys. I would put AP in his prime in this group over Smith. I know I'm one of the older posters on this board but Gale Sayers was the best I have seen while in his prime. Earl Campbell was the strongest back I've ever seen an absolute freak. 

Campbell was an absolute freak The first pro game I saw in my life was Houston at Cinny The tear away jersey thighs as big as tree trunks. Man that guy was a monster. 

The thing that made Emmitt great is that he wasn't the strongest or the fastest. If you need a first down he found a way He was the strongest when he had tio be and he found another gear when he needed it. 

The guy was talented make no mistake. His greatness was he was the most determined player to carry the rock. He had 18000 rushing yards more than anyone in history that doesn't just happen. He was a north and south runner not flashy.  He could catch it block the complete back.  I never understood the lack of respect the guy gets. 

• If I had to pick one of these four to omit it would have to be Jackson.
  • While Smith holds the yardage record I am not too sure he would hold it has Sanders didn't retire early.
  • I must say that Sanders and Sweetness got their yards on teams that really didn't have good O-lines at all.

10 hours ago, akcolt said:

Process of elimination? Career yards Emmitt 18K Walter 16K Barry 15K and Bo 2782.  How's Bo in this conversation? You'd take a guy who never had a 1000 yard season over the NFL'a all time leading rusher? 

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:
  • If I had to pick one of these four to omit it would have to be Jackson.
  • While Smith holds the yardage record I am not too sure he would hold it has Sanders didn't retire early.
  • I must say that Sanders and Sweetness got their yards on teams that really didn't have good O-lines at all.

1 hour ago, ztboiler said:

If that's your final 4....then you're obviously starting with a flawed data set....

You guys need to remember the thread is not about who had the most yards or the best career or who is the GOAT.

It is about who was the best "in their prime" or who was the most talented "in their prime", regardless of OLine, stats, records, etc.

Bo and Barry are two of the most talented RBs ever.  Those two in their prime are better than Payton and Smith were in their prime.  And I'd take Sayers over Payton or Smith in this exercise for the 3rd RB.  Sweetness and Emmitt had better careers, but Sayers was more talented than either of those two.

That's why it's a flawed data set. 1 guy's prime was a 4 year period equating to between 2 and 3 years of playing time. Who else with their best body of work that comes to that is even referred to as a "prime"? It's not...people just have a soft spot for Bo which is cool and all but don't try to thump freaking Walter Payton up in here with this nonsense.

52 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

You guys need to remember the thread is not about who had the most yards or the best career or who is the GOAT.

It is about who was the best "in their prime" or who was the most talented "in their prime", regardless of OLine, stats, records, etc.

Bo and Barry are two of the most talented RBs ever.  Those two in their prime are better than Payton and Smith were in their prime.  And I'd take Sayers over Payton or Smith in this exercise for the 3rd RB.  Sweetness and Emmitt had better careers, but Sayers was more talented than either of those two.

4 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

That's why it's a flawed data set. 1 guy's prime was a 4 year period equating to between 2 and 3 years of playing time. Who else with their best body of work that comes to that is even referred to as a "prime"? It's not...people just have a soft spot for Bo which is cool and all but don't try to thump freaking Walter Payton up in here with this nonsense.

But it's not about any sort of data set.  It's about who is most talented "in their prime."  I think we see "in their prime" as a different thing.  You are talking period of time and body of work, which I see as part of a career.

I see a player in their prime as a snapshot moment in time when they were at their best.  Their best, most athletic, most iconic play.  In that one moment, during that one play, they were at their best.  Like the Earl Campbell play where he headbutts a Rams player and keeps on running.  You could put Earl in the place of Bo and have the same conversation.  That headbutt play was Earl "in his prime" and Bo running over the Boz was Bo "in his prime."

Bo, at his best, ran through people.  Barry, at his best, ran around people.  Gale, at his best, ran right past people.

Payton and Smith, while they could do all those things and did all of those things more than anybody else, they couldn't run through anyone as well as Bo, around anyone as well as Barry, or past anyone as fast as Sayers.

Don't get me wrong, I think Sweetness and Emmitt had better careers than the other three, but if we're talking about that one moment where everyone is "in their prime", I'm taking Bo, Barry, and Gale, in that order based on their talent.  Based on their skill-set, I would have Bo as my 1st down back, Barry as my 2nd down back, and Sayers as my 3rd down back and returner.

I hope that helps explain my reasoning.  I'm kind of treating it like cut-day in the offseason, which fits where we are right now...

33 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

But it's not about any sort of data set.  It's about who is most talented "in their prime."  I think we see "in their prime" as a different thing.  You are talking period of time and body of work, which I see as part of a career.

I see a player in their prime as a snapshot moment in time when they were at their best.  Their best, most athletic, most iconic play.  In that one moment, during that one play, they were at their best.  Like the Earl Campbell play where he headbutts a Rams player and keeps on running.  You could put Earl in the place of Bo and have the same conversation.  That headbutt play was Earl "in his prime" and Bo running over the Boz was Bo "in his prime."

Bo, at his best, ran through people.  Barry, at his best, ran around people.  Gale, at his best, ran right past people.

Payton and Smith, while they could do all those things and did all of those things more than anybody else, they couldn't run through anyone as well as Bo, around anyone as well as Barry, or past anyone as fast as Sayers.

Don't get me wrong, I think Sweetness and Emmitt had better careers than the other three, but if we're talking about that one moment where everyone is "in their prime", I'm taking Bo, Barry, and Gale, in that order based on their talent.  Based on their skill-set, I would have Bo as my 1st down back, Barry as my 2nd down back, and Sayers as my 3rd down back and returner.

I hope that helps explain my reasoning.  I'm kind of treating it like cut-day in the offseason, which fits where we are right now...

It's flawed by any definition...but the flaws of this excercise are magnified by "Prime" not reduced.  

You can easily leave Bo on any subjective list about who has the most talent....but you can't have any credible final 4 in a conversation about who was greatest in their prime without including the likes of Jim Brown, OJ, Sayers, even Eric Dickerson.  2 of those have to be on the list, and I'm probably leaving someone out.  

Payton and Emmit only make the list on the merits of their body of work....

26 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

It's flawed by any definition...but the flaws of this excercise are magnified by "Prime" not reduced.  

You can easily leave Bo on any subjective list about who has the most talent....but you can't have any credible final 4 in a conversation about who was greatest in their prime without including the likes of Jim Brown, OJ, Sayers, even Eric Dickerson.  2 of those have to be on the list, and I'm probably leaving someone out.  

Payton and Emmit only make the list on the merits of their body of work....

I think we're on the same page.  I thought about throwing Jim Brown into the conversation.  He's a better version of Payton and Smith.  Just a workhorse that did everything.

Maybe I shouldn't have thrown Sayers into the conversation.  I mean, it seemed pretty clear at first that it was a pool of 4 RBs, Walter, Bo, Emmitt, and Barry.  Which one do you get rid of if you have to?  I vote Emmitt.  :dunno:

16 hours ago, CR91 said:

im 26. you need to know the history of this game to really appreciate it 

lol me too. I know all these guys are exceptional along with Dickerson, allen, brown.. I just didn't get to see any of them in their prime play. I wasn't meaning to be "smart" when I made my first comment. 

On 6/27/2017 at 3:43 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still say Barry, no way Emmitt should be left off. Yeah Emmitt gets a raw deal because he had a Great O.Line (I assuming that is why people are saying Emmitt) but he could play injured and his vision is unmatched. Career wise Emmitt is the equivalent to Jerry Rice per position. Everyone thinks Jerry Rice is the GOAT at his position by a mile because he has the main WR records and won 3 SB's, Emmitt also has the main Rushing records and won 3 SB's. Downgrading Emmitt because he had a Great O.Line would be like me saying Jerry Rice isn't the GOAT because he had Montana and Young throwing him the ball his entire career in SF.

I say Emmitt cause he's just not better then the other 3 lol 

59 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I say Emmitt cause he's just not better then the other 3 lol 

Eventhough the Thread did say in their Prime, I still think Emmitt belongs. He definitely does if the TITLE would've said all-time. It did say Prime but when Emmitt was in his Prime his teams won 3 SB's and he won 4 Rushing Titles in 5 years, so even by the definition of this Thread, I think leaving him off is wrong. If we were just doing an all-time list based on every RB's whole career the only RB I would have ahead of Emmitt is Jim Brown. I would go:

1. Jim Brown

2. Emmitt Smith

3. Walter Payton

4. Barry Sanders

5. Eric Dickerson

-Regarding a whole career/all-time list.

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Eventhough the Thread did say in their Prime, I still think Emmitt belongs. He definitely does if the TITLE would've said all-time. It did say Prime but when Emmitt was in his Prime his teams won 3 SB's and he won 4 Rushing Titles in 5 years, so even by the definition of this Thread, I think leaving him off is wrong. If we were just doing an all-time list based on every RB's whole career the only RB I would have ahead of Emmitt is Jim Brown. I would go:

1. Jim Brown

2. Emmitt Smith

3. Walter Payton

4. Barry Sanders

5. Eric Dickerson

-Regarding a whole career/all-time list.

Emmitt admits the all time rushing title would have been.barrys if he hadn't retired.    Barry did more with far less.  I would have loved to see Barry behind that cowboys o line

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Emmitt admits the all time rushing title would have been.barrys if he hadn't retired.    Barry did more with far less.  I would have loved to see Barry behind that cowboys o line

Oh no doubt Barry would've had the record had he played a few more years but he didn't. He got sick of the Lions and just walked away.