Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training Camp 2017

TKnight24

There's an old saying. Train as you fight, fight as you train.  It has been proven time and time again. 

That being said, I sure hope they upgraded from our training staff and team docs, they seem to have sucked the last several years

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

There's an old saying. Train as you fight, fight as you train.  It has been proven time and time again. 

That being said, I sure hope they upgraded from our training staff and team docs, they seem to have sucked the last several years

Train as you fight is one of my favorites. Best way to train. 

9 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

So you're saying there is a chance we wont start 0-2 again? A chance that the Colts might be as mentally and physically ready to play a real damn game day one as the rest of the 31 teams?

I cherish the thought!

They better be ready, or Aaron Donald will be sure to take advantage of it

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well....

52 players might be ready....

But the big question remains......      Will Andrew Luck be ready?       If he's not,  it could be long day in my hometwon of Los Angeles......

(Just sayin.....)           :peek:

If we go to camp with the QBs on the roster, then I think we can relax about Luck.  He may not play in the preseason but he'll be ready.

If they pick up a veteran QB for camp...we could be in trouble as far as Andrews timeline.  

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well....

52 players might be ready....

But the big question remains......      Will Andrew Luck be ready?       If he's not,  it could be long day in my hometwon of Los Angeles......

(Just sayin.....)           :peek:

The Rams sucked worse than the Colts last year .  I just don't believe the Rams can beat the Colts with or without Luck . 

22 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

The Rams sucked worse than the Colts last year .  I just don't believe the Rams can beat the Colts with or without Luck . 

Last time  we played rams we lost to the likes of Tavon Austin 

23 minutes ago, will426 said:

Last time  we played rams we lost to the likes of Tavon Austin 

And lost bad.  

First game, in LA, Luck either still recovering or maybe not playing...

Anyone taking that game for granted doesn't follow the NFL.  First games are always odd, ripe for upsets.  

2 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

The rams have a ton of talent on the defensive side of the ball,  and they've hired a new coachings staff with the emphasis on the offensive side.     So, the offense might be improved.      As others have noted in this thread, we lost badly to the Rams a few years ago,  and since this is week one,  anything is possible.

Do not take that game for granted if we don't have Luck, or if he is stll rusty....    remember,  they now have Bum Phillips running that defense.      It will NOT be an easy game.

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

And lost bad.  

First game, in LA, Luck either still recovering or maybe not playing...

Anyone taking that game for granted doesn't follow the NFL.  First games are always odd, ripe for upsets.  

I do follow the Colts & I don't care about the past & I have no respect for the Rams period I'm giving my homer opinion period I expect my Colts to do a lot better & it starts with you people living in the past its a new year what better way to start than with a win & For those who think they know it all expect the unexpected . 

I'm calling for a win grow a pair and join me .

1 hour ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

I do follow the Colts & I don't care about the past & I have no respect for the Rams period I'm giving my homer opinion period I expect my Colts to do a lot better & it starts with you people living in the past its a new year what better way to start than with a win & For those who think they know it all expect the unexpected . 

Lol!  It's happy hour somewhere!

On June 23, 2017 at 8:04 PM, csmopar said:

I sure hope they upgraded from our training staff and team docs, they seem to have sucked the last several years

I definitely agree with that sentiment cspr. I'm no strength & conditioning coach by any means, but I must admit that INDY always seems to get snake bit in the health & availability arena. 

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The rams have a ton of talent on the defensive side of the ball,  and they've hired a new coachings staff with the emphasis on the offensive side.     So, the offense might be improved.      As others have noted in this thread, we lost badly to the Rams a few years ago,  and since this is week one,  anything is possible.

Do not take that game for granted if we don't have Luck, or if he is stll rusty....    remember,  they now have Bum Phillips running that defense.      It will NOT be an easy game.

I love the talent in their def but I think luck had Wades number lol he's eaten up his defense  in wins/losses

7 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

I am cautiously optimistic about week 1, cautiously.......mostly based on recent years with slow starts. I don't personally believe it will be an easy go out in L.A. The Rams can put some serious pressure on Luck sadly and yes assuming he plays and is healthy enough etc. etc.

I think we can win but at the same time I will be nervous as heck for the game!!! Whenever we start with "a crappy opponent" it can feel like a trap.

I will probably by the time week 1 rolls around predict a Colts win but cautiously as I already said. lmao Since I think we may win a lower scoring uglier game if we do win that could flip either way from time to time when it is ongoing.

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Who?

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

With or without Luck, Colts are not in a position to take any team for granted. 

On 6/23/2017 at 4:18 PM, TKnight24 said:

Chris Ballard confirms it'll be a physical camp & I'm all for it 

Dates & locations are also listed in the article 

:colts:

So what have they been doing for he past 5 training camps?  

On 6/23/2017 at 10:19 PM, dodsworth said:

Maybe the Colts will play like a hammer instead of the nail this season.

The hammer beats the nail,  but the nail pierces.

But even if the hand behind the hammer is weak,  the nail will still pierce.

3 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Who?

DT Aaron Donald

OLB  Robert Quinn

DT   Michael Brockers

LB   Alex Ogletree

LB   Mark Barron

CB  Trumaine Johnson

OLB   Connor Barwin

S     LaMarcus Joyner

This is why Phillips went there.    To coach a defensive team with talent.     He's one the top DC's.    He knows talent.

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Less full contact.....     a number of teams do that....   teams don't want to risk injury during practice...

We would think this is a good idea but wrapping the team in bubble wrap hasn't done much good either. A lot of posters including myself were hoping for a more physical team, well it looks like that day has arrived.

Injuries be damned.

On 6/23/2017 at 9:04 PM, csmopar said:

5 hours ago, deedub75 said:

So what have they been doing for he past 5 training camps?  

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Less full contact.....     a number of teams do that....   teams don't want to risk injury during practice...

3 hours ago, dodsworth said:

We would think this is a good idea but wrapping the team in bubble wrap hasn't done much good either. A lot of posters including myself were hoping for a more physical team, well it looks like that day has arrived.

Injuries be damned.

I just want to point out that even Training Camp is heavily regulated by the NFL's collective bargaining agreement.  Here is the stipulations all team must abide by-

****************************************************************************************************

The first day of training camp is limited to physical exams, meetings and classroom instruction. Running and conditioning are the only on-field activities that are permitted.

There is no contact is allowed and no pads can be worn on the second and third days of training camp.

After the third day of training camp, two-a-days are permitted with the following restrictions:

** Players may be on the field for a total of no more than four hours per day.
** Players may participate in no more than one padded practice per day, which shall be no longer than three hours of on-field activities.
** There must be at least a three-hour break after the first practice.
** The second practice on the same day may only be for a maximum of the remaining available on-field time and has to be limited to only walk-through instruction (no helmets, full-speed pre-snap and walking pace after the snap).
** The three-hour limit on padded practices begins as soon as position coaches start to coach players on the field.
** a team begins a padded practice but the practice is canceled within 60 minutes of its start due to inclement weather or any other reason beyond the team's control, the practice won't count as a padded practice.

A padded practice is defined as a practice in which players are required to wear helmets and shoulder pads.

Teams are required to film all on-field activities during training camp. A copy of the film needs to be maintained until 30 days after the start of the regular season.

The NFLPA can view the film if a player files a complaint alleging a violation of the training camp rules.

If a team violates the training camp rules, it is subject to fines.

Finally-

Teams reimburse players for "reasonable traveling expenses" in getting to camp from their residences. Players who are released during training camp receive reimbursement for their return trips to their residences.

Players receive room and board during training camp.

Players receive per diem payments beginning on the first day of training camp and ending one week prior to the team's first regular season game. First-year players receive $1,075 per week during the preseason, while veterans receive $1,900 per week.

****************************************************************************************************

Anything performed has to be within the above rules, period. With the limited amount of padded practice allowed, it would not make sense for any team./ coach to not utilize all the time allowed for padded practice and skills development.

I remember John MaKay once said-

"It's shattering when a player loses interest in camp. When you lose your desire to stand around and eat steaks, you lose everything."

LOL! And this before the latest CBA restrictions were in place!!

3 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I just want to point out that even Training Camp is heavily regulated by the NFL's collective bargaining agreement.  Here is the stipulations all team must abide by-

The first day of training camp is limited to physical exams, meetings and classroom instruction. Running and conditioning are the only on-field activities that are permitted.

There is no contact is allowed and no pads can be worn on the second and third days of training camp.

After the third day of training camp, two-a-days are permitted with the following restrictions:

** Players may be on the field for a total of no more than four hours per day.
** Players may participate in no more than one padded practice per day, which shall be no longer than three hours of on-field activities.
** There must be at least a three-hour break after the first practice.
** The second practice on the same day may only be for a maximum of the remaining available on-field time and has to be limited to only walk-through instruction (no helmets, full-speed pre-snap and walking pace after the snap).
** The three-hour limit on padded practices begins as soon as position coaches start to coach players on the field.
** a team begins a padded practice but the practice is canceled within 60 minutes of its start due to inclement weather or any other reason beyond the team's control, the practice won't count as a padded practice.

A padded practice is defined as a practice in which players are required to wear helmets and shoulder pads.

Teams are required to film all on-field activities during training camp. A copy of the film needs to be maintained until 30 days after the start of the regular season.

The NFLPA can view the film if a player files a complaint alleging a violation of the training camp rules.

If a team violates the training camp rules, it is subject to fines.

Finally-

Teams reimburse players for "reasonable traveling expenses" in getting to camp from their residences. Players who are released during training camp receive reimbursement for their return trips to their residences.

Players receive room and board during training camp.

Players receive per diem payments beginning on the first day of training camp and ending one week prior to the team's first regular season game. First-year players receive $1,075 per week during the preseason, while veterans receive $1,900 per week.

Anything performed has to be within the above rules, period. With the limited amount of padded practice allowed, it would not make sense for any team./ coach to not utilize all the time allowed for padded practice and skills development.

I remember John MaKay once said-

"It's shattering when a player loses interest in camp. When you lose your desire to stand around and eat steaks, you lose everything."

LOL! And this before the latest CBA restrictions were in place!!

John MaKay was a character for sure.

We didn't tackle well today but we made up for it by not blocking.

Emotion is highly over rated in football. My wife Corky is emotional as h**l but can't play football worth a d**n .

These are just a couple of his quotes that makes me laugh.

On 6/24/2017 at 3:46 PM, NewColtsFan said:

remember,  they now have Bum Phillips running that defense.      It will NOT be an easy game.

Their DC is a Dead Man????   Bum died in 2013.   I'm not sure the Colts can beat a Ghost????

6 hours ago, jimmy g said:

Their DC is a Dead Man????   Bum died in 2013.   I'm not sure the Colts can beat a Ghost????

Sorry....     that was a Bum mistake by me....

It's Wade,  and I'm a fan of his....    I think he's really good as a DC.     I don't look forward to playing a Wade Philllips coached defense.

3 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Most of the people excited about this are gonna be upset if we lose a key player due to injury in camp.  

We are one of the most injured teams in the NFL for the last several years. Injuries are going to happen to this team regardless of the physicality of practice.

They should be ok as long as they don't go all Bob Sanders every play.

35 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

We are one of the most injured teams in the NFL for the last several years. Injuries are going to happen to this team regardless of the physicality of practice.

They should be ok as long as they don't go all Bob Sanders every play.

That's not true.  We're pretty much in the NFL average the last several years.