Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts will explore tackling this Training Camp

Coffeedrinker

Please no major injuries! That said, our tackling has been awful. A change is needed. In a league of parody, we should emulate the seahawks in how they coach tackling. A few years ago, there was a video of how "progressive" their coaches are when it came to preaching a "tackling strike zone". 

I'm interested to see if there is a tackling issue league-wide, with a limited amount of tackling in training camp. Even if that is the case, it's one of those things that can be cleaned up as the year progresses. Hate to see injuries again, before the season starts but you have to get the reps in. My biggest concern is  Geathers but they have backups should they need them (hopefully not for a full season).

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

I'm interested to see if there is a tackling issue league-wide, with a limited amount of tackling in training camp. Even if that is the case, it's one of those things that can be cleaned up as the year progresses. Hate to see injuries again, before the season starts but you have to get the reps in. My biggest concern is  Geathers but they have backups should they need them (hopefully not for a full season).

IMO there is a tackling issue league wide. It's not just the Colts. It seems like a lot of players tackle well in college but after they make the pros they seem to get lazy as far as tackling is concerned.

I remember our Super Bowl year.  Our defense was struggling.  Some people only remember we added Booger McFarland and brought Rob Morris back which really bolstered our defense.  However, before that, Dungy said he was going to get back to the basics and he emphasized tackling and reacting quicker.  It worked.   Tackling?  I'm for it.

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

They need to start tackling all of the camp bodies that won't make the team.  Turn them into something useful (living tackling dummies) before they are let go.

3 hours ago, Albaby said:

They need to start tackling all of the camp bodies that won't make the team.  Turn them into something useful (living tackling dummies) before they are let go.

I remember seeing where I think it was the Steelers were practicing with mobile robotic tackling dummies last year. I know a couple of college teams are trying them.

Also apparently we also weren't hitting as much or physical during camps and practices. Ballard wants that to be dialed up more. He said in an interview it would help the players bodies to limit injuries. They have to get use to the heavy impact plays. Which I kind of figured out about this team in 13'

1 hour ago, pgt_rob said:

I thought it was an NFL rule that you couldn't tackle in training camp? Didn't the seahawks get fined for this? Or am I thinking of something different?

They had too much contact in minicamp, not training camp. You can tackle in training camp.

And honestly, while I'm all about sports science and limiting wear and tear and mileage, if you can't handle practice contact you won't hold up to game contact. They should go live tackling at least a handful of times during camp.

16 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I hope they find it.

9 hours ago, Narcosys said:

It's not out of the realm of possibility that they never did before. 

5 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Tackling?  I'm [all] for it.

Maybe I'm just in a goofy mood, but darn it you guys are funny. haha

We have always been an ariel attack team. It would be nice to adopt more a bulldozer, bloody your adversary's mouth strategy wouldn't it? One can only hope that finally this overarching theme has been digested & adopted now. 

9 hours ago, Narcosys said:

It's not out of the realm of possibility that they never did before. 

I just picture you saying that line with perfect deadpan sincerity which makes it hilarious to me anyway. 

Thank you for that Narcosys. Perhaps a new era of trench warfare is about to spawn in INDY. Nice. 

9 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I just picture you saying that line with perfect deadpan sincerity which makes it hilarious to me anyway. 

Thank you for that Narcosys. Perhaps a new era of trench warfare is about to spawn in INDY. Nice. 

Ha, and I was actually thinking it in that same way,  sarcasm but still would have said it the same way.

On 6/16/2017 at 11:46 AM, LockeDown said:

I remember our Super Bowl year.  Our defense was struggling.  Some people only remember we added Booger McFarland and brought Rob Morris back which really bolstered our defense.  However, before that, Dungy said he was going to get back to the basics and he emphasized tackling and reacting quicker.  It worked.   Tackling?  I'm for it.

Dungy said that after every poor defensive performance lol

On 6/16/2017 at 9:22 AM, life long said:

Please no major injuries! That said, our tackling has been awful. A change is needed. In a league of parody, we should emulate the seahawks in how they coach tackling. A few years ago, there was a video of how "progressive" their coaches are when it came to preaching a "tackling strike zone". 

The the type tackling Seattle teaches is called "rugby style". Urban Meyer has adopted this at OSU.

Interestingly, Malik Hooker''s tackling using the rugby style was criticized by scouts prior to the draft.

12 minutes ago, GoBlue12 said:

The the type tackling Seattle teaches is called "rugby style". Urban Meyer has adopted this at OSU.

Interestingly, Malik Hooker''s tackling using the rugby style was criticized by scouts prior to the draft.

His problem from what I have read, was his poor angles and wrapping up. 

10 minutes ago, life long said:

His problem from what I have read, was his poor angles and wrapping up. 

i didnt watch ohio state, but hooker had 74 total tackles

i think his tackling issues might be a little exaggerated, plus a free safety that plays deep on a talented defense isnt expected to make a ton of tackles in the run game anyway

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

i didnt watch ohio state, but hooker had 74 total tackles

i think his tackling issues might be a little exaggerated, plus a free safety that plays deep on a talented defense isnt expected to make a ton of tackles in the run game anyway

Agreed. I was not very concerned, especially considering he was a one year starter. He will improve, and we did grab a seahawks front office guy. He may suggest something similar to the seahawks, to improve our guys tackling techniques.

On 6/16/2017 at 4:21 PM, Superman said:

They had too much contact in minicamp, not training camp. You can tackle in training camp.

And honestly, while I'm all about sports science and limiting wear and tear and mileage, if you can't handle practice contact you won't hold up to game contact. They should go live tackling at least a handful of times during camp.

Agreed!

On 6/16/2017 at 10:21 AM, Superman said:

Do you know how much tackling they've done in past camps?  I'm assuming they did some.

7 minutes ago, cbear said:

Do you know how much tackling they've done in past camps?  I'm assuming they did some.

I don't actually know, but I think they did a lot of wrap and hold, not a lot of tackling to the ground. I know they ran Oklahoma at least once in the last couple years, I assume that included tackling to the ground...

On 6/15/2017 at 11:08 PM, Coffeedrinker said:

1st that title cracked me up.  It's from the 9 take aways article

Well that is good to hear.  I hope they find it.

It's so bizarre to think NFL teams hold training camp practices to evaluate talent and leave out one of the most important aspects just to try and avoid injuries. I understand it's a delicate balance, but guys who get hurt in practice probably would've gotten hurt in a game eventually.