Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Greg Cosell on Colts draft: Quincy Wilson can be a similar player to Xavier Rhodes, style-wise

stitches

https://audioboom.com/posts/5910037-greg-cosell-on-the-midday-180

This is about AFC South division teams draft. The part about the Colts starts at about 8:00

On Malik Hooker

-high HIGH level athlete, has the athleticism that allows you to play single high

-with experience he's an all-pro

Quincy Wilson:

-liked him on tape

-similar size, athleticism, physicality to Xavier Rhodes, can play press man

Tarell Basham

-he will probably get snaps as a rookie

Marlon Mack

-it might take him time to adjust to the league, because he bouced outside a ton in college. He cannot run like that in the NFL

14 minutes ago, stitches said:

This is about AFC South division teams draft. The part about the Colts starts at about 8:00

On Malik Hooker

-high HIGH level athlete, has the athleticism that allows you to play single high

Quincy Wilson:

-liked him on tape

Tarell Basham

Marlon Mack

-it might take him time to adjust to the league, because he bouced outside a ton in college. He cannot run like that in the NFL

Sure can if he is fast enough or has good blocking

52 minutes ago, stitches said:

On Malik Hooker

Quincy Wilson:

-liked him on tape

Tarell Basham

Marlon Mack

I think the Mack "bouncing outside" thing is the same as Hooker's "tackling issues." Both are a little overblown, sure they did have those issues to a degree, but there's plenty of tape of Mack busting huge runs up the middle, just like there's plenty of tape of Hooker making some very athletic tackles. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If those are our 2 biggest concerns with these 2 particular players, I'd say we're sitting pretty.

6 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I think the Mack "bouncing outside" thing is the same as Hooker's "tackling issues." Both are a little overblown, sure they did have those issues to a degree, but there's plenty of tape of Mack busting huge runs up the middle, just like there's plenty of tape of Hooker making some very athletic tackles. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If those are our 2 biggest concerns with these 2 particular players, I'd say we're sitting pretty.

Agree 100%!  Especially the part about Mack. Has plenty of tape running inside and many of the times you see him bounce it outside there wasn't even a hole in the middle to begin with.

50 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Sure can if he is fast enough or has good blocking

Pretty sure the author meant that mack had a tendency to bounce the run outside when the play was designed to go inside but got stuffed. That means he wouldnt have good blocking to the outside in those situations. In college it worked because he was generally the fastest guy on the field but that won't happen nearly as often in the NFL. 

37 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I hope they utilize him better than they did with Ferguson. Ferguson's best chance to contribute was outside, something I don't recall the colts did much with him.

Mack runs with more power than Ferguson and I like his top end speed better. Also Mack can run between the tackles as I have seen him do it on tape. The reason he bounced to the outside alot because that was where the hole in the defense was. I think he has good vision. Reminds of David johnson mixed with joe addai. The addai part is from him occasionally dancing in backfield

40 minutes ago, krunk said:

Agree 100%!  Especially the part about Mack. Has plenty of tape running inside and many of the times you see him bounce it outside there wasn't even a hole in the middle to begin with.

Yea david johnson did the same in his college tape and people would laugh at that accessment now

I think this could go down as one of the best drafts in the last several years personally. Mack was a steal. He's more of a Shady McCoy IMO. And he can run between the tackles, but he can bounce it back outside for a big gain on a run that was supposed to be up the middle. He did this a lot in college. But his ability to run between the tackles isn't much of an issue IMO. Like others have said. I've seen him do it. Watch for him to be a beast from week 1 on splitting carries with Gore. He'll be the Jordan Howard of this class. (No comp, just similar draft slots) But yeah. To me Mack's ceiling is Shady. That's saying something. The kid is a threat to break one every time he touches the ball. We've been needing this, and with what should be a much improved OL. Look out for Marlon Mack to become a household name quickly.

2 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Fair enough. Not saying right or wrong, theres just a lot of ad hoc around here these days.

I expect big things from hooker. Honestly the only two draft picks Im not sure about are grover and banner but they both have potential

5 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I think this could go down as one of the best drafts in the last several years personally. Mack was a steal. He's more of a Shady McCoy IMO. And he can run between the tackles, but he can bounce it back outside for a big gain on a run that was supposed to be up the middle. He did this a lot in college. But his ability to run between the tackles isn't much of an issue IMO. Like others have said. I've seen him do it. Watch for him to be a beast from week 1 on splitting carries with Gore. He'll be the Jordan Howard of this class. (No comp, just similar draft slots) But yeah. To me Mack's ceiling is Shady. That's saying something. The kid is a threat to break one every time he touches the ball. We've been needing this, and with what should be a much improved OL. Look out for Marlon Mack to become a household name quickly.

I think david johnson is macks ceiling. But can see mccoy comparison.

10 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Y'all need to cool it on the Mack hype. You both just compared him to top 5 running backs 

Well, we got the Stephen and Colts449 jinxes to thank for now. :)  Now watch Mack be a 3rd down rotational player at best in year 1. Hope I can do the reverse jinx???

18 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Well, we got the Stephen and Colts449 jinxes to thank for now. :)  Now watch Mack be a 3rd down rotational player at best in year 1. Hope I can do the reverse jinx???

LOL. Come on bro. I've never jinxed a player. LOL

He's a 4th RD pick. All I'm saying is the talent is there. Most of the top RB's in the league are 2nd-5th round picks anyways, but I mean Mack could be hit or miss. I'm rea;;y high on him though. And this entire draft in general. But yeah. He's clearly talented, and if you watch his tape you'll see his ceiling is a Shady type back. He screams Shady to me when watching film. Big time speed, agility, elusive, big play ability, very slippery and thus hard to bring down, and he has great vision. Those are traits that tell me he can become a big time back. Especially, like I said with a much improved OL. Man I love this draft.

6 hours ago, stitches said:

On Malik Hooker

Quincy Wilson:

-liked him on tape

Tarell Basham

Marlon Mack

The only thing i can really Compare Quincy and Rhodes is size and aggressiveness. Rhodes is far more athletic IMO

13 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Having a Shady McCoy type back with Turbin or another power back would be deadly

16 hours ago, Stephen said:

Mack runs with more power than Ferguson and I like his top end speed better. Also Mack can run between the tackles as I have seen him do it on tape. The reason he bounced to the outside alot because that was where the hole in the defense was. I think he has good vision. Reminds of David johnson mixed with joe addai. The addai part is from him occasionally dancing in backfield

Oh, I agree, I don't think you can compare Ferguson with Mack. Mack can run a bit inside, but hope they utilize him outside more.

30 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Oh, I agree, I don't think you can compare Ferguson with Mack. Mack can run a bit inside, but hope they utilize him outside more.

Speaking of Ferguson I'll be interested to see what improvements he's made.

Wilson showed that he can get physical and press people straight out of the gate. Having Davis on the other side of the field, and Hooker playing center field, give these guys a solid pass rush and I have all the confidence in the world in this group.

Next season if we can bring in another corner and retain Davis.. our secondary could end up being top 10.

I love what Ballard is doing.

On 5/11/2017 at 9:18 PM, chad72 said:

When I like a player they typically turn out great like hilton. This current class looks amazing