Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New England in the Draft: Did you know?

NewColtsFan

So, I wanted to double check what picks the Pats have this year...    and to my surprise not only have they traded their #1 in the Cooks deal,  but they traded their #2 in the Kony Ealy deal.

So,  their FIRST PICK doesn't happen until toward the top of the 3rd, pick 72 (the Ealy trade)  and then not again until their own pick toward the bottom of the 3rd, pick 96.

Then they have ONE pick in the 4th round.      They acquired a 4th round pick, but that's forfeited as the FINAL PAYMENT for Deflategate.      And then they have a later 4th.

So, a total of 3 picks.     Two in th 3rd, and one in the 4th.     

Stil....   I expect them to come out of the first few days of the draft with good players....    deep draft and the Pats will get their share.

1 hour ago, dynasty13 said:

If he goes to the Saints we will most likely be getting our #32 back...but we'll see.

Is that how it works?  I figured the Saints would be forced to surrender THEIR first round pick.  That's a huge difference!

21 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Is that how it works?  I figured the Saints would be forced to surrender THEIR first round pick.  That's a huge difference!

It's all a little convoluted right now because Butler never signed his 1st round tender offer. If he's able to work out a long-term extension (in theory, nothing signed yet) with New Orleans, then this will probably happen:

1. Signs his tender with New England...

2. Patriots trade him for the same first round pick (#32) that they gave up for Cooks...

3. New Orleans, who now own Butler's rights, signs him to a long-term contract... 

Prevailing thought is that the Saints wouldn't do this if they had to give up the 11th pick. I would guess that the teams have already worked out the terms of the trade. The 32nd pick may have just been a "place holder" and an insurance policy for the Saints after they dealt Cooks away. Originally the reports said Cooks-for-Butler, straight up. But without having signed his tender, Butler could not be traded. 

I'm actually still holding out hope that they can keep Butler for at least one more season. He and Gilmore make a very solid starting duo. 

3 hours ago, dynasty13 said:

If he goes to the Saints we will most likely be getting our #32 back...but we'll see.

Any idea why they didn't do the Butler deal along with the Cooks deal?  Was it just the timing, as in New England was in a hurry to get Cooks before anyone else but New Orleans is more patient in trying to acquire Butler?

New England receivers: Cooks, 4th round pick

New Orleans receives: Butler, 3rd round pick

Add in a late or conditional pick here and there and you get both deals done at once.

34 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Any idea why they didn't do the Butler deal along with the Cooks deal?  Was it just the timing, as in New England was in a hurry to get Cooks before anyone else but New Orleans is more patient in trying to acquire Butler?

New England receivers: Cooks, 4th round pick

New Orleans receives: Butler, 3rd round pick

Add in a late or conditional pick here and there and you get both deals done at once.

Cooks had an $800k roster bonus that the Saints didn't want to pay if they were trading him. It was due 3/13, so they wanted to trade him prior to that.

Now they're working on Butler separately.

4 hours ago, dynasty13 said:

Yeah, can't imagine the Saints just doing an offer sheet and giving up #11. At the same time, I don't understand why they're sooo interesting in Butler when this year's draft has so many good corners. They could draft their front seven defender at #11 and get a really good corner prospect at #32. Personally, I think Butler is a little overrated, but I'm just a guy on the Internet.

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, can't imagine the Saints just doing an offer sheet and giving up #11. At the same time, I don't understand why they're sooo interesting in Butler when this year's draft has so many good corners. They could draft their front seven defender at #11 and get a really good corner prospect at #32. Personally, I think Butler is a little overrated, but I'm just a guy on the Internet.

Plus, whoever they pick at #32 would be a lot cheaper. Saints aren't exactly swimming in cap space either.

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

So, I wanted to double check what picks the Pats have this year...    and to my surprise not only have they traded their #1 in the Cooks deal,  but they traded their #2 in the Kony Ealy deal.

So,  their FIRST PICK doesn't happen until toward the top of the 3rd, pick 72 (the Ealy trade)  and then not again until their own pick toward the bottom of the 3rd, pick 96.

Then they have ONE pick in the 4th round.      They acquired a 4th round pick, but that's forfeited as the FINAL PAYMENT for Deflategate.      And then they have a later 4th.

Stil....   I expect them to come out of the first few days of the draft with good players....    deep draft and the Pats will get their share.

Ya but if Butler goes to new Orleans and they don't match then the pats will have the 11th pick.

Isn't the OP the story of the Pats? From no-names to champions.  Their QB was a no-name from Michigan and Belichick came from the Browns, the silliest team in the NFL. I wonder if Pats fans even watch the draft-why should they?!! Aggravation over and over and over like last year's Super Bowl.

23 hours ago, Superman said:

I agree with you about Butler. One thing I will say about NE defense is that it is very scheme oriented. Bill does a wonderful job with his players and knows their limitations etc....and covers for them....maybe safety help deep or LBs underneath or bracket corner help....very seldom leaves them one on one and especially with a talented #1 receiver. I do think he is pretty good...especially if he can get away with having his hands on a receiver (which is often the case in NE).

I think NO is kinda going for broke. The Brees window is very small.....they haven't been good in awhile and I think the staff and management feel the pressure...two NFC South teams in two years have gone to the SB....and Tampa Bay looks ready to maybe leap frog up there too. I think the pressure is building to do something here and they are making moves to do that. Carpe Diem. I agree with you...long term this draft is superior to anything out there in free agency...but they just don't have the luxury to wait on development. I doubt the truth to the Seattle rumors but if I was NO I would think that a deal for Sherman instead of Butler....likely to be much cheaper in the long haul.

On 3/16/2017 at 6:48 PM, NewColtsFan said:

This is unusual for NE but I think it has a lot to do with their franchise QB being 40 years old.

Or it could be they are going to trade Butler and or Garoppolo and reload ?

5 minutes ago, dw49 said:

This is unusual for NE but I think it has a lot to do with their franchise QB being 40 years old.

its this, plus the fact that everything BB does is taken as a genius move until proven other wise

i think a lot of GMs either dont have the authority or the courage to take these risks

personally i think JG is still worth a single second round pick, right where he was drafted at

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

its this, plus the fact that everything BB does is taken as a genius move until proven other wise

i think a lot of GMs either dont have the authority or the courage to take these risks

personally i think JG is still worth a single second round pick, right where he was drafted at

Maybe a first around #20 IMO. But no way do I think he's worth what some are talking.

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:48 PM, NewColtsFan said:

No, they have picks in the 3rd (2 picks), 4th, 5th (2 picks) 6th and 7th rounds.  Here's link for anyone that cares. http://www.patspulpit.com/2017/3/11/14890644/updated-list-of-the-patriots-2017-draft-picks

I have given up trying to guess if they will trade Jimmy G at this point. If they do, I think they would add the 12th pick and a second rounder (or some combo of 3rd and 4tn round picks) to the above, IMO.

2 hours ago, eseae said:

No, they have picks in the 3rd (2 picks), 4th, 5th (2 picks) 6th and 7th rounds.  Here's link for anyone that cares. http://www.patspulpit.com/2017/3/11/14890644/updated-list-of-the-patriots-2017-draft-picks

I have given up trying to guess if they will trade Jimmy G at this point. If they do, I think they would add the 12th pick and a second rounder (or some combo of 3rd and 4tn round picks) to the above, IMO.

Sorry....     my bad....

I don't know why I left off the 5's, the 6 and the 7?     Massive brain cramp on my part.

Thanks for clarifying the Pats draft position.    Sorry for the confusion. 

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:26 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry....     my bad....

I don't know why I left off the 5's, the 6 and the 7?     Massive brain cramp on my part.

Thanks for clarifying the Pats draft position.    Sorry for the confusion. 

No worries dude.

I can just see it now...

The pats will probably unload a few veterans to move up in the draft for a few steals from Alabama or Rutgers.

The pats get solid rookies, and still maintain success because of the FAs they brought in.

While the teams that trade their picks to the pats for "successful" veterans get what?  Bupkes.

How many players are successful AFTER they leave NE?  While FAs that go to NE flourish...