Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewColtsFan

New England in the Draft: Did you know?

24 posts in this topic

 

So, I wanted to double check what picks the Pats have this year...    and to my surprise not only have they traded their #1 in the Cooks deal,  but they traded their #2 in the Kony Ealy deal.

 

So,  their FIRST PICK doesn't happen until toward the top of the 3rd, pick 72 (the Ealy trade)  and then not again until their own pick toward the bottom of the 3rd, pick 96.

 

Then they have ONE pick in the 4th round.      They acquired a 4th round pick, but that's forfeited as the FINAL PAYMENT for Deflategate.      And then they have a later 4th.

 

So, a total of 3 picks.     Two in th 3rd, and one in the 4th.     

 

Stil....   I expect them to come out of the first few days of the draft with good players....    deep draft and the Pats will get their share.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is why it is important for the Browns to not buy into Garropolo this year and get him next year, Pats are good enough without more picks, so why gift wrap them more? :thmup:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They may be getting a high pick if something happens between the Saints and Malcolm Butler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Superman said:

They may be getting a high pick if something happens between the Saints and Malcolm Butler.

 

If he goes to the Saints we will most likely be getting our #32 back...but we'll see.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dynasty13 said:

 

If he goes to the Saints we will most likely be getting our #32 back...but we'll see.

Is that how it works?  I figured the Saints would be forced to surrender THEIR first round pick.  That's a huge difference!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Is that how it works?  I figured the Saints would be forced to surrender THEIR first round pick.  That's a huge difference!

 

It's all a little convoluted right now because Butler never signed his 1st round tender offer. If he's able to work out a long-term extension (in theory, nothing signed yet) with New Orleans, then this will probably happen:

 

1. Signs his tender with New England...

2. Patriots trade him for the same first round pick (#32) that they gave up for Cooks...

3. New Orleans, who now own Butler's rights, signs him to a long-term contract... 

 

Prevailing thought is that the Saints wouldn't do this if they had to give up the 11th pick. I would guess that the teams have already worked out the terms of the trade. The 32nd pick may have just been a "place holder" and an insurance policy for the Saints after they dealt Cooks away. Originally the reports said Cooks-for-Butler, straight up. But without having signed his tender, Butler could not be traded. 

 

I'm actually still holding out hope that they can keep Butler for at least one more season. He and Gilmore make a very solid starting duo. 

 

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dynasty13 said:

 

If he goes to the Saints we will most likely be getting our #32 back...but we'll see.

Any idea why they didn't do the Butler deal along with the Cooks deal?  Was it just the timing, as in New England was in a hurry to get Cooks before anyone else but New Orleans is more patient in trying to acquire Butler?

 

New England receivers: Cooks, 4th round pick

New Orleans receives: Butler, 3rd round pick

 

Add in a late or conditional pick here and there and you get both deals done at once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Any idea why they didn't do the Butler deal along with the Cooks deal?  Was it just the timing, as in New England was in a hurry to get Cooks before anyone else but New Orleans is more patient in trying to acquire Butler?

 

New England receivers: Cooks, 4th round pick

New Orleans receives: Butler, 3rd round pick

 

Add in a late or conditional pick here and there and you get both deals done at once.

 

Cooks had an $800k roster bonus that the Saints didn't want to pay if they were trading him. It was due 3/13, so they wanted to trade him prior to that.

 

Now they're working on Butler separately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dynasty13 said:

 

If he goes to the Saints we will most likely be getting our #32 back...but we'll see.

 

Yeah, can't imagine the Saints just doing an offer sheet and giving up #11. At the same time, I don't understand why they're sooo interesting in Butler when this year's draft has so many good corners. They could draft their front seven defender at #11 and get a really good corner prospect at #32. Personally, I think Butler is a little overrated, but I'm just a guy on the Internet.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Yeah, can't imagine the Saints just doing an offer sheet and giving up #11. At the same time, I don't understand why they're sooo interesting in Butler when this year's draft has so many good corners. They could draft their front seven defender at #11 and get a really good corner prospect at #32. Personally, I think Butler is a little overrated, but I'm just a guy on the Internet.

 

Plus, whoever they pick at #32 would be a lot cheaper. Saints aren't exactly swimming in cap space either.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't worry the Browns are still going to trade all their bounty of picks for Garrapolo. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

really..who cares?

 

:: looks up at the top of the page ::

 

This is NFL General, right?

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

So, I wanted to double check what picks the Pats have this year...    and to my surprise not only have they traded their #1 in the Cooks deal,  but they traded their #2 in the Kony Ealy deal.

 

So,  their FIRST PICK doesn't happen until toward the top of the 3rd, pick 72 (the Ealy trade)  and then not again until their own pick toward the bottom of the 3rd, pick 96.

 

Then they have ONE pick in the 4th round.      They acquired a 4th round pick, but that's forfeited as the FINAL PAYMENT for Deflategate.      And then they have a later 4th.

 

So, a total of 3 picks.     Two in th 3rd, and one in the 4th.     

 

Stil....   I expect them to come out of the first few days of the draft with good players....    deep draft and the Pats will get their share.

 

Ya but if Butler goes to new Orleans and they don't match then the pats will have the 11th pick.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't the OP the story of the Pats? From no-names to champions.  Their QB was a no-name from Michigan and Belichick came from the Browns, the silliest team in the NFL. I wonder if Pats fans even watch the draft-why should they?!! Aggravation over and over and over like last year's Super Bowl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

really..who cares?

 

I care, because I enjoy seeing the Pats suffer.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Superman said:

 

Yeah, can't imagine the Saints just doing an offer sheet and giving up #11. At the same time, I don't understand why they're sooo interesting in Butler when this year's draft has so many good corners. They could draft their front seven defender at #11 and get a really good corner prospect at #32. Personally, I think Butler is a little overrated, but I'm just a guy on the Internet.

I agree with you about Butler. One thing I will say about NE defense is that it is very scheme oriented. Bill does a wonderful job with his players and knows their limitations etc....and covers for them....maybe safety help deep or LBs underneath or bracket corner help....very seldom leaves them one on one and especially with a talented #1 receiver. I do think he is pretty good...especially if he can get away with having his hands on a receiver (which is often the case in NE).

 

I think NO is kinda going for broke. The Brees window is very small.....they haven't been good in awhile and I think the staff and management feel the pressure...two NFC South teams in two years have gone to the SB....and Tampa Bay looks ready to maybe leap frog up there too. I think the pressure is building to do something here and they are making moves to do that. Carpe Diem. I agree with you...long term this draft is superior to anything out there in free agency...but they just don't have the luxury to wait on development. I doubt the truth to the Seattle rumors but if I was NO I would think that a deal for Sherman instead of Butler....likely to be much cheaper in the long haul.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2017 at 6:48 PM, NewColtsFan said:

 

So, I wanted to double check what picks the Pats have this year...    and to my surprise not only have they traded their #1 in the Cooks deal,  but they traded their #2 in the Kony Ealy deal.

 

So,  their FIRST PICK doesn't happen until toward the top of the 3rd, pick 72 (the Ealy trade)  and then not again until their own pick toward the bottom of the 3rd, pick 96.

 

Then they have ONE pick in the 4th round.      They acquired a 4th round pick, but that's forfeited as the FINAL PAYMENT for Deflategate.      And then they have a later 4th.

 

So, a total of 3 picks.     Two in th 3rd, and one in the 4th.     

 

Stil....   I expect them to come out of the first few days of the draft with good players....    deep draft and the Pats will get their share.

 

 

 

This is unusual for NE but I think it has a lot to do with their franchise QB being 40 years old.

 

Or it could be they are going to trade Butler and or Garoppolo and reload ?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dw49 said:

 

 

This is unusual for NE but I think it has a lot to do with their franchise QB being 40 years old.

its this, plus the fact that everything BB does is taken as a genius move until proven other wise

 

i think a lot of GMs either dont have the authority or the courage to take these risks

 

personally i think JG is still worth a single second round pick, right where he was drafted at

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

its this, plus the fact that everything BB does is taken as a genius move until proven other wise

 

i think a lot of GMs either dont have the authority or the courage to take these risks

 

personally i think JG is still worth a single second round pick, right where he was drafted at

 

Maybe a first around #20 IMO. But no way do I think he's worth what some are talking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:48 PM, NewColtsFan said:

 

So, I wanted to double check what picks the Pats have this year...    and to my surprise not only have they traded their #1 in the Cooks deal,  but they traded their #2 in the Kony Ealy deal.

 

So,  their FIRST PICK doesn't happen until toward the top of the 3rd, pick 72 (the Ealy trade)  and then not again until their own pick toward the bottom of the 3rd, pick 96.

 

Then they have ONE pick in the 4th round.      They acquired a 4th round pick, but that's forfeited as the FINAL PAYMENT for Deflategate.      And then they have a later 4th.

 

So, a total of 3 picks.     Two in th 3rd, and one in the 4th.     

 

Stil....   I expect them to come out of the first few days of the draft with good players....    deep draft and the Pats will get their share.

No, they have picks in the 3rd (2 picks), 4th, 5th (2 picks) 6th and 7th rounds.  Here's link for anyone that cares. http://www.patspulpit.com/2017/3/11/14890644/updated-list-of-the-patriots-2017-draft-picks

 

I have given up trying to guess if they will trade Jimmy G at this point. If they do, I think they would add the 12th pick and a second rounder (or some combo of 3rd and 4tn round picks) to the above, IMO.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eseae said:

No, they have picks in the 3rd (2 picks), 4th, 5th (2 picks) 6th and 7th rounds.  Here's link for anyone that cares. http://www.patspulpit.com/2017/3/11/14890644/updated-list-of-the-patriots-2017-draft-picks

 

I have given up trying to guess if they will trade Jimmy G at this point. If they do, I think they would add the 12th pick and a second rounder (or some combo of 3rd and 4tn round picks) to the above, IMO.

 

Sorry....     my bad....

 

I don't know why I left off the 5's, the 6 and the 7?     Massive brain cramp on my part.

 

Thanks for clarifying the Pats draft position.    Sorry for the confusion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:26 PM, NewColtsFan said:

 

Sorry....     my bad....

 

I don't know why I left off the 5's, the 6 and the 7?     Massive brain cramp on my part.

 

Thanks for clarifying the Pats draft position.    Sorry for the confusion. 

No worries dude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can just see it now...

 

The pats will probably unload a few veterans to move up in the draft for a few steals from Alabama or Rutgers.

 

The pats get solid rookies, and still maintain success because of the FAs they brought in.


While the teams that trade their picks to the pats for "successful" veterans get what?  Bupkes.

 

How many players are successful AFTER they leave NE?  While FAs that go to NE flourish...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Barring some camp breakout story, I don't see how this is wrong. The only thing is they might cut Hunt and keep McGill as a 3rd down DT, but that might be a bit too light on the DE's
    • Yeah, it's pretty obvious that INDY's picks usually occurred around commercial breaks, which meant that our selections were rarely even discussed. Mike went a little bananas on his Philly love too. I know he lives there, but everything was Philly this & Philly that. He did slam that MSNBC Business reporter who massacred their fly eagle fly anthem though in his own way that I found amusing.    Look, I still love Mike as a draft analyst & I know that INDY will never get the love like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, & the City of Brotherly Love will from Mayock & it's okay to me. I know my favorite teams to watch: INDY, NY Giants, NE, Denver; GB; & New Orleans because Sean Payton is so innovative on offense.    Can I ask a question? Is it wrong of me for Make A Wish Foundation recipients to think a little bigger after surviving cancer? If it's what you really want--To introduce a draft pick cool. I just would aim higher or bigger I guess. You know maybe meet a famous band or take in a show with back stage passes. To each their own, I guess. Reading a name off a card as your dying wish or miraculous recovery wish feels like small potatoes to me. 
    • Why do people keep saying this? Walker runs 4.63. Hes not a two down LB. Hes on the field a 3 downs.
    • Here is a podcast from Sports Illustrated that features Zach Banner:     And here's Banner on The Herd:     Seems like a smart young man with personality. That's good after we lost the only guy with personality on our roster this off-season.
    •   Here's my depth chart of the current roster, including my prediction of my final 53. Assuming no major FA signings or trades, here's what I see.   IMO Parry is def gone with the draft of Glover Stewart. We didn't draft someone in the 4th round to let it go to the practice squad.   Of our 9 DLs, 2 are gone for sure making a total of 7. Amongst the 2 to be cut will likely be the following:
        McGill - $0 dead cap Parry - 110K dead cap Woods - 250K dead cap Hunt - 500K dead cap   At OLB, Maggitt will def be gone before Mingo is; he only has a $4000 dead cap (NOT A TYPO) while Mingo will stay simply because he was a former 1st rounder and we'll still hoping he pulls a Jerry Hughes after the latter went to Buffalo.        
  • Welcome New Members

  • Members

    • Colts_Fan12

      Colts_Fan12 3,349

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Kyle

      Kyle 788

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jseg18

      jseg18 105

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Iancolts

      Iancolts 147

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • UKColt13

      UKColt13 1,136

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • chrisfarley

      chrisfarley 697

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • krunk

      krunk 7,141

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • TMPHBITEU

      TMPHBITEU 422

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • SkyBane

      SkyBane 877

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • crazycolt1

      crazycolt1 5,136

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.