Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defjamz Final Pre-Combine Mock

Wasn't going to do one till after the combine but I didn't realize they moved it back. I've played around with a bunch of mocks in my phone, but I've found one I like:

Round 1: Solomon Thomas, OLB Stanford 

Most will say that there's no way he falls here but we said the same thing about Collins in 2015. The way I love look at it is that he's only 6-3 and 4-3 teams like length in DEs. I think Charlton goes before him for that reason. Plus Barnett is a choice for 4-3 teams. 

Alternative picks: Tak McKinley, Charles Harris

Round 2: Jarrad Davis, ILB Florida 

He was always the better LB between him and Morrison. Ballard said he wants 3 down LBs that can cover and here's a perfect one. I think he and Morrison are the projected starters to reunite the Florida duo

Alternative pick: Hassan Reddick

Round 3: Joe Mixon, RB

Here's my thinking on this. Ballard does thorough research on character issue guys. He was instrumental in the Chiefs taking Marcus Peters and Tyreek Hill. I also remember hearing him on the radio with JMV where he said he thought Hill was a good kid who just made a really bad decision. I think that's how he'll feel about Mixon. It wasn't a domestic violence incident because the woman in question was a stranger. Not saying that makes it right, but it's better than him beating up a GF or wife. I think it'd be fine to take him here. It was an isolated incident which he fully owned.

Alternative pick: Semaje Perrine 

Round 4: John Johnson, FS

I know people still believe in Green but Ballard is not one to stray away from competition and he didn't draft Green. Johnson is a ball hawk FS who isn't as great against the run but makes solid tackles. Has more experience playing safety and is a plus athlete. Can start day 1.

Round 4 (Comp): Howard Wilson, CB

A long CB at 6'0", which Ballard likes. Will test really well but is a developmental CB who should excel in a press man scheme with the right coaching.

Round 5: Elijah Qualls, NT

Washington player who gets compared to Former teammate Danny Shelton. He's not as hefty though and might not be the same pass rusher. I think he's a rotational lineman who can NT or DT in certain packages. With guys like Kerr probably not returning, this is good value.

Round 6: Austin Rekhow, Punter

There really is no replacing Pat but this is as close as you can get. An accurate punter who also handled kick off duties in college, he fills an immediate need and is the starter by default given his versatility.

3 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Pretty good mock! Might be good to grab Mixon in the 3rd because I'm sure he has the attention of many NFL teams. Get him while we can and I don't think it's a reach in the 3rd. Nice job.

Mixon - right.  And the reasons Defjamz gave will be the ammunition teams will use to justify the pick.  He's at least second round talent.  Someone will steal him in the third if he falls that far.  

Good draft!

10 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Pretty good mock! Might be good to grab Mixon in the 3rd because I'm sure he has the attention of many NFL teams. Get him while we can and I don't think it's a reach in the 3rd. Mixon is a beast 1st round talent in my opinion. Nice job.

Yup. My thoughts exactly. He's too talented to assume he'll be there in the 4th. The incident was two years ago and he demanded the video be released. He issued a public apology as well. Plus there's more to the story that meets the eye.

6 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Absolutely love the 1st round pick! I would change the 2nd to Hasaan Reddick though.

Thats why I put him as the alternative pick lol. I like both tbh. Whichever is available at our pick is who I would take.

The thing I don't get about Mixon is if he's so great, and so apologetic and sorry why does he fall at all. To me it's like saying, well you punched a woman in the face, so that's a 2 round penalty. It just really bothers me on a personal level. Most of the arguments I've seen for drafting him all say he's a first round talent that may be had in the 2nd to 5th, that at some point his talent vs round out ways the fact that he saw punching a woman in the face and walking away as viable options. That is just seriously wrong to me. I truly hope we go another direction when it comes to running back.

4 minutes ago, James Ducheteau said:

The thing I don't get about Mixon is if he's so great, and so apologetic and sorry why does he fall at all. To me it's like saying, well you punched a woman in the face, so that's a 2 round penalty. It just really bothers me on a personal level. Most of the arguments I've seen for drafting him all say he's a first round talent that may be had in the 2nd to 5th, that at some point his talent vs round out ways the fact that he saw punching a woman in the face and walking away as viable options. That is just seriously wrong to me. I truly hope we go another direction when it comes to running back.

Because a lot of teams will take him completely off their draft boards. That's why he falls. It's not as if it's indicative of a larger issue like pot, PEDs, or drugs are. He lost his cool and made a very bad decision. Actual domestic violence is different as it is usually connected to a deeper problem. I don't think he's going to punch a girl in the face again at some point in his life. There were a lot of things in play that night that led up to the incident.

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

Because a lot of teams will take him completely off their draft boards. That's why he falls. It's not as if it's indicative of a larger issue like pot, PEDs, or drugs are. He lost his cool and made a very bad decision. Actual domestic violence is different as it is usually connected to a deeper problem. I don't think he's going to punch a girl in the face again at some point in his life. There were a lot of things in play that night that led up to the incident.

That's all well and good, but any one drafting him is going to get backlash from it. Period. I am certain I am not the only person who does not want to see this guy in a colts uniform. 

16 minutes ago, James Ducheteau said:

That's all well and good, but any one drafting him is going to get backlash from it. Period. I am certain I am not the only person who does not want to see this guy in a colts uniform. 

I understand how you feel, and agree it was an atrocious act.  No defending it.

All that said, should anyone get a second chance for something like that? If they toe the line in their community and life?  Or do you never forgive?

26 minutes ago, James Ducheteau said:

I hear you. But remember that Tyreek Hill choked his pregnant girlfriend. Dez Bryant also hit his mother a few years back. Not defending what Mixon did, just providing some perspective. It's also rumored that the girl called him the N-word and is seen in the video shoving him first. It's also reported that she had touched him prior to that too. Again, not defending just shedding light on the incident.

40 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Absolutely love the 1st round pick! I would change the 2nd to Hasaan Reddick though.

What do you like more about Reddick?  It's hard to tell what he'll excel at in the NFL.   To me, Reddick's grades are based purely on his athleticism and upside, kind of like a poor man's Leonard Floyd.  

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

All that said, should anyone get a second chance for something like that? If they toe the line in their community and life?  Or do you never forgive?

I agree.

If Randy Moss, who had a domestic violence charge that caused him to drop in the draft, could be drafted and have a career, Joe Mixon could as well.

8 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

What do you like more about Reddick?  It's hard to tell what he'll excel at in the NFL.   To me, Reddick's grades are based purely on his athleticism and upside, kind of like a poor man's Leonard Floyd.  

Well I also like him. A lot of it is based on pore but he came to the Senior Bowl and played at ILB on request and shined. Mayock thinks he's a 3 down coverage ILB in a 3-4. He's got pass rush ability from playing DE at Temple so he should excel as a blitzer. 

25 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

For me, hitting a woman is inexcusable, some man puts his hands on one of my daughters and you better believe he would never get a second chance in my eyes, and for me to have a different view because the woman was not my blood is hypocritical. 

24 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I hear you. But remember that Tyreek Hill choked his pregnant girlfriend. Dez Bryant also hit his mother a few years back. Not defending what Mixon did, just providing some perspective. It's also rumored that the girl called him the N-word and is seen in the video shoving him first. It's also reported that she had touched him prior to that too. Again, not defending just shedding light on the incident.

None of these guys were colts, so I was not in a direct position to support them, drafting one of them or Mixon puts me in a direct position to support them and I really could not do that

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Wasn't going to do one till after the combine but I didn't realize they moved it back. I've played around with a bunch of mocks in my phone, but I've found one I like:

Most will say that there's no way he falls here but we said the same thing about Collins in 2015. The way I love look at it is that he's only 6-3 and 4-3 teams like length in DEs. I think Charlton goes before him for that reason. Plus Barnett is a choice for 4-3 teams. 

He was always the better LB between him and Morrison. Ballard said he wants 3 down LBs that can cover and here's a perfect one. I think he and Morrison are the projected starters to reunite the Florida duo

Here's my thinking on this. Ballard does thorough research on character issue guys. He was instrumental in the Chiefs taking Marcus Peters and Tyreek Hill. I also remember hearing him on the radio with JMV where he said he thought Hill was a good kid who just made a really bad decision. I think that's how he'll feel about Mixon. It wasn't a domestic violence incident because the woman in question was a stranger. Not saying that makes it right, but it's better than him beating up a GF or wife. I think it'd be fine to take him here. It was an isolated incident which he fully owned.

I know people still believe in Green but Ballard is not one to stray away from competition and he didn't draft Green. Johnson is a ball hawk FS who isn't as great against the run but makes solid tackles. Has more experience playing safety and is a plus athlete. Can start day 1.

A long CB at 6'0", which Ballard likes. Will test really well but is a developmental CB who should excel in a press man scheme with the right coaching.

Washington player who gets compared to Former teammate Danny Shelton. He's not as hefty though and might not be the same pass rusher. I think he's a rotational lineman who can NT or DT in certain packages. With guys like Kerr probably not returning, this is good value.

There really is no replacing Pat but this is as close as you can get. An accurate punter who also handled kick off duties in college, he fills an immediate need and is the starter by default given his versatility.

I've almost put Howard Wilson in more than one mock.  I like him!  I waffled back and forth between him and Akhello Witherspoon.

12 minutes ago, James Ducheteau said:

None of these guys were colts, so I was not in a direct position to support them, drafting one of them or Mixon puts me in a direct position to support them and I really could not do that

Not a problem. Everyone has their own opinion. I felt exactly like you did until I did more research. He's not Greg Hardy to me.

32 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Well I also like him. A lot of it is based on pore but he came to the Senior Bowl and played at ILB on request and shined. Mayock thinks he's a 3 down coverage ILB in a 3-4. He's got pass rush ability from playing DE at Temple so he should excel as a blitzer. 

I hadn't paid attention to him at the senior bowl yet (I watched Ogunjobi and Hunt).  I'll have to re-watch that then.  I certainly understand the appeal as a coverage ILB.  That I think he'll do fine in with a little bit of coaching up.  

39 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Mixon is going to get drafted by somebody. Deal with it! Hopefully, it`s the Colts.

I don't think the Colts will touch him until day 3, maybe the 3rd round on day 2.  That said, I think someone will take a chance on him before then.  Just my 2 cents.  Heck of a football player though.

34 minutes ago, James Ducheteau said:

For me, hitting a woman is inexcusable, some man puts his hands on one of my daughters and you better believe he would never get a second chance in my eyes, and for me to have a different view because the woman was not my blood is hypocritical. 

Totally understandable.  It's easier to forgive  when it's not personal.  

23 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I don't think the Colts will touch him until day 3, maybe the 3rd round on day 2.  That said, I think someone will take a chance on him before then.  Just my 2 cents.  Heck of a football player though.

I honestly think Mixon will go somewhere in the 2nd Rd if he has a good Pro-day. He is without a doubt the best receiver out of the backfield in the draft and potentially the best RB in this class when all is said and done. 

7 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I honestly think Mixon will go somewhere in the 2nd Rd if he has a good Pro-day. He is without a doubt the best receiver out of the backfield in the draft and potentially the best RB in this class when all is said and done. 

I'm starting to agree about Mixon in the 2nd.  I watched the video, and it looked like his reflexes got the better of him.  I remember a couple of times my young sons just walked up and bit me when I wasn't paying attention, and my reflexive reaction could have gotten me investigated for child abuse...

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Very nice job,  but I really appreciate the thought that went into all this.      Multiple options and good explanations for all.

Wish more people did this like you!            :thmup:

3 hours ago, MPStack said:

This is one of the best receiving group of RBs I have ever seen in a draft class.  

4 hours ago, James Ducheteau said:

I have a daughter, and I agree with you, if anyone does something to her they won't be able to tie their own shoes anymore, much less football cleats.

As it stands, I don't intend to avenge everyone's daughter, just my own, so Mixon is safe from me.

I'm kind of joking... But more seriously, people make mistakes. Some of them are awful. Still, young people should have the opportunity to make amends for even huge mistakes, and eventually, live them down. I don't believe in totally writing people off.

4 hours ago, James Ducheteau said:

No offense meant in this statement, but would you like your daughters treating another person like the girl mixon hit did? I agree that you shouldn't put your hands on a woman, but she patronized him. Yes he should of restrained himself from violance to a female but not many 18 year old boys have the self control to not hold them selves back from being called the N word and hit themselves. He made a mistake like every single person in the history of the world has. Everyone has sinned and no sin is better or worse than another. He will be on a short leash for whatever team takes him, as any person with bad PR does.

11 hours ago, Archer said:

I'm starting to agree about Mixon in the 2nd.  I watched the video, and it looked like his reflexes got the better of him.  I remember a couple of times my young sons just walked up and bit me when I wasn't paying attention, and my reflexive reaction could have gotten me investigated for child abuse...

He was 17 when it happened, should help him out a lot.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I actually like Tyus Bowser quite a bit!

I love Bowser.  He was my favorite late-round sleeper after watching a game last year.  He looked athletic, very fast, and great in coverage.  He's known to many as an edge rusher, but he only seemed to have the speed rush.  That being said, his burst around the edge was amazing.  All things considered, I think he would be a great, athletic ILB for us like Ballard seems to want...of course, he's no longer a late-round guy after his SB practices...

6 minutes ago, Archer said:

I love Bowser.  He was my favorite late-round sleeper after watching a game last year.  He looked athletic, very fast, and great in coverage.  He's known to many as an edge rusher, but he only seemed to have the speed rush.  That being said, his burst around the edge was amazing.  All things considered, I think he would be a great, athletic ILB for us like Ballard seems to want...of course, he's no longer a late-round guy after his SB practices...

I saw everything you saw only that I do think he's an edge rusher.  Athleticism allows him to do multiple things.  Great cover guy.