Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns plan to part ways with Josh Gordon

BullsColtsFan1

53 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Why would he wait until now to go to rehab.  He has been suspended for over a year.  He could have comeback next week.   I'm guessing he knew he would fail another drug test

I agree.  At least he's finally realized he has a problem and is hopefully getting help. He is a good football player.

30 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I agree.  At least he's finally realized he has a problem and is hopefully getting help. He is a good football player.

I don't think of this as finally realizing he has a problem. I think he's going to rehab to become proactive and resist future temptation. If he would've slipped up, he would've slipped up by now. He must be doing well as he hasn't failed a drug test.

16 minutes ago, Solon said:

I don't think of this as finally realizing he has a problem. I think he's going to rehab to become proactive and resist future temptation. If he would've slipped up, he would've slipped up by now. He must be doing well as he hasn't failed a drug test.

Then why didn't he do it last year,   not a week before his suspension ends

3 hours ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

This is literally one of the saddest things I've seen. All the talent in the world... wasted... Sucks for the Browns too. Even when they have a good player it still doesn't turn out right for them.

It's also funny because they passed on Carson Wentz, who's looking insanely good atm. Browns just can't catch a break.

5 hours ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

Yeah, that is good to see that Josh finally saw the light & while I agree with Jvan that Gordon knew in all likelihood he was about to fail his next drug test, an addict has to hit rock bottom on their own timetable. The realization light doesn't happen during an NFL suspension window alone, but when the addict knows it's time to seek professional help. 

I always wonder why franchises release statement of support & then cut their caboose. It's like a husband celebrating 10 yrs together with his wife on their anniversary by banging his secretary & then handing her divorce papers before desert arrives.

Surprise! We love you so much Josh & the maturity you are showing that we want absolutely nothing to do with your life anymore. Gee thanks. 

When Josh Gordon's on the field he's literally a top 5 WR. So yes we should "kick the tires" on this. Its another one of those zero risk, monster reward type things. If he signed here, and kept out of trouble it would make our passing attack unstoppable. Gordon, Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett. Plus Allen, Doyle, and Swoop? Think about it.

15 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

When Josh Gordon's on the field he's literally a top 5 WR. So yes we should "kick the tires" on this.

He was minutes away from being allowed to play... then went to rehab.  What does that tell you? he partied until the last moment, and when he was going to play and very likely tested (urine) test for substances- he ran to the rehab center.

Its another one of those zero risk, monster reward type things. If he signed here, and kept out of trouble it would make our passing attack unstoppable. Gordon, Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett? Think about it.

Well, wrongo, it is a known risk, and an almost no reward type thing.

Who knows how long he'll be in rehab, and when released, how long before he puffs again..  This next ban is more permanent me thinks...why you think that is?

Folks, dude was second round draft pick in the supplemental draft, for crying out loud!  Why? Known quantity that someone took a chance on and lost.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

He was minutes away from being allowed to play... then went to rehab.  What does that tell you? he partied until the last moment, and when he was going to play and very likely tested (urine) test for substances- he ran to the rehab center.

Well, wrongo, it is a known risk, and an almost no reward type thing.

Who knows how long he'll be in rehab, and when released, how long before he puffs again..  This next ban is more permanent me thinks...why you think that is?

Folks, dude was second round draft pick in the supplemental draft, for crying out loud!  Why? Known quantity that someone took a chance on and lost.

Financially its a ZERO risk. Monster reward. That's what matters. Not if it makes the team look bad or not.

6 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Financially its a ZERO risk. Monster reward. That's what matters. Not if it makes the team look bad or not.

The financial part is the least problematic item. Here's Josh last few years summary:

2011  Released from Baylor, positive marijuana test

2013  Failed drug test, suspended 2 games  : Had a great season

2014  Failed drug test, suspended full season,  reduced to 10 games after NFL drug policy revision

2014 September DUI charge, mandated NFL Alcohol testing program.  

2015 January Failed NFL Alcohol test, indefinite suspension

2015 February Applies for reinstatement - under consideration

2016 April  Fails drug test.  Though results too low to be positive, masking / diluting agents found in sample

2016 July Conditionally reinstated by Roger Goodell, suspended first 4 games 2016

Just as he is ready to get to play, then decides to check in to rehab.  This timing alone raises questions.  I know there is likely another shoe to drop, and Roger may suspend him indefinitely again once released and have him re-apply at a later date.  How and what Josh does from here would determine whether he can ever play again.  It's in Rogers hands, and he placed that into Josh Gordon's hands.

There's no tire to kick, it's purely window shopping at best right now.  Besides, we do not have enough maturity and leadership in the locker room to handle JG and his ilk (Randy Gregory, etc...). The noise and distraction  effects are not worth the effort, given the above.

As good of a player that he can be, the locker room doesn't need that kind of drag if he continued his drug problems. If he stayed clean and could prove himself he is changed then by all means give it a go. It wouldn't hurt on a minimum contract. But until he proves otherwise the simple answer is no. 

17 hours ago, B~Town said:

going to rehab > playing for the Browns

That does speak volumes doesn't it BT. What sounds more productive? Playing for the Browns this yr or going thru dehydration & grueling detox? And detox wins by a landslide. Ouch. 

You're 1000% correct though. I'd probably do the same darn thing in Mr. Gordon's situation as well. 

15 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I side with CBFL on this one C-449 my friend. Remember, Greg Hardy in Dallas? 

Jerry Jones loved his pass rushing havoc against QBs on the field & is he playing for the Cowboys right now? Nope. And why is that? Because domestic abuse of his former finance & his insane temper make his more work than he was worth on the sidelines as a football franchise. 

Availability matters as well as not embarrassing the man who cuts your checks & if a player is a headache as opposed to a game day superstar he is typically gone. Look, I'm all for 2nd chances in America, but addiction as an animal does peculiar things to a guy's demeanor, behavior, & brain chemistry & hanging out for so long with Johnny Football before he sought rehab scares the crap out of me. I would never sign Josh in INDY in a million yrs. Besides, how does he help our defense & running game exactly? 

6 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Jerry Jones loved his pass rushing havoc against QBs on the field & is he playing for the Cowboys right now? Nope. And why is that? Because domestic abuse of his former finance & his insane temper make his more work than he was worth on the sidelines as a football franchise. 

Please do not forget Randy Gregory, who looked Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller in their eyes and thanked Jerry and the Cowboys for the trust and opportunity and that he will prove he was past his addictions and would ...

... well we can stop there because we know he is suspended and won't return to the Cowboys lineup until December 19, 2016 at the minimum!!

Sheesh... some people just don't know 'when to say when'.

When.

32 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Please do not forget Randy Gregory, who looked Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller in their eyes and thanked Jerry and the Cowboys for the trust and opportunity and that he will prove he was past his addictions and would ...

... well we can stop there because we know he is suspended and won't return to the Cowboys lineup until December 19, 2016 at the minimum!!

Sheesh... some people just don't know 'when to say when'.

When.

Yes, absolutely CBFL character does matter on your roster & for some reason Dallas players seem to forget that a winning franchise doesn't entail making all the headlines for all the wrong reasons. Enough said. 

I cosign every single word you typed in your entry above.