Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chuck Pagano Is The New Coach Of The Indianapolis Colts (Merge)

MSColtsFan

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baltimore is really going to hate us more now. If that's possible

Meh...they are used to their Defensive Coordinators leaving for head coaching positions. See Marvin Lewis, Mike Nolan, and Rex Ryan. I am sure they will just plug in another stud and keep it moving.

As far as the hire...I am glad to see the Colts go with a defensive oriented guy. They are in full rebuild mode and sending a signal that this time around they will be more serious about building the defense. I particularly liked this quote by Terrell Suggs regarding Pagano.

"Chuck is unorthodox," Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs said. "He's like The Joker. You never really expect what he's going to do, and everything has a motive."

If true, then he should be a breath of fresh air around here. Sounds like a big difference from what we had at coach last year already.

Meh...they are used to their Defensive Coordinators leaving for head coaching positions. See Marvin Lewis, Mike Nolan, and Rex Ryan. I am sure they will just plug in another stud and keep it moving.

As far as the hire...I am glad to see the Colts go with a defensive oriented guy. They are in full rebuild mode and sending a signal that this time around they will be more serious about building the defense. I particularly liked this quote by Terrell Suggs regarding Pagano.

"Chuck is unorthodox," Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs said. "He's like The Joker. You never really expect what he's going to do, and everything has a motive."

If true, then he should be a breath of fresh air around here. Sounds like a big difference from what we had at coach last year already.

Dungy was a defensive oriented coach as well. So was Jim Mora.

I like the hire. My first choice was Zimmer but I am happy with this over some of the other options. I hope we build a strong D which will take a couple of seasons and I hope we hire a good OC ( not cameron ). I also hope we do the right thing and keep Peyton if he is healthy and draft luck that way we build a team for many years to come. I also hope we release brackett, angerer is better in my opinion. We have bethea and powers which is a good start in the secondary. I think things are looking up and I am excited to see where we go from here Peyton or no Peyton I will always be a Colts fan and Peyton will always be my favourite player.

As far as the hire...I am glad to see the Colts go with a defensive oriented guy. They are in full rebuild mode and sending a signal that this time around they will be more serious about building the defense.

I would ordinarily agree, and I'm holding out hope that that's the case. I like Pagano as the new coach. But we've seen this movie before. Dungy was the defensive-minded guy that was going to transform the Colts into an elite defense. We actually did improve, and had a couple of really good years, but we were never a top tier defense.

Pagano may have had only 1 year as def coordinator for the Ravens, but if Evans holds on to that touchdown pass or if Cundiff makes a gimme field goal, he would be in the Super Bowl right now. His defense beat the Pats in a year where the Pats have dominated defenses. I would say he got a better performance from them than the Ryan brothers did. This is a year in which they beat the Steelers twice and won the division. This is also in a year where the bengals have been great. So, I would give Pagano some big credit for his ONE year.

I would ordinarily agree, and I'm holding out hope that that's the case. I like Pagano as the new coach. But we've seen this movie before. Dungy was the defensive-minded guy that was going to transform the Colts into an elite defense. We actually did improve, and had a couple of really good years, but we were never a top tier defense.

Yea but we had the wrong draft choices. New GM could fix that.

Yours and Coffee's point is duly noted and acknowledged. Nothing is guaranteed so we will have to see how it all pans out but I am at least encouraged by our prospects for building a stronger defensive unit going forward.

I am probably one of the few who thought Dungy was a very good coach for us. So using a Dungy analogy isn't really a bad thing to me. IMO, he upgraded the defense just enough for the Colts to start actually winning a few playoff games and ultimately a Super Bowl. Colts couldn't even muster a playoff win before he got here. He had his weaknesses, limitations and I won't deny that but he served his purpose in my view.

Yours and Coffee's point is duly noted and acknowledged. Nothing is guaranteed so we will have to see how it all pans out but I am at least encouraged by our prospects for building a stronger defensive unit going forward.

I am probably one of the few who thought Dungy was a very good coach for us. So using a Dungy analogy isn't really a bad thing to me. IMO, he upgraded the defense just enough for the Colts to start actually winning a few playoff games and ultimately a Super Bowl. Colts couldn't even muster a playoff win before he got here. He had his weaknesses, limitations and I won't deny that but he served his purpose in my view.

Yeah, I'm not down on Dungy. But I do recognize that he had his limitations. One of the biggest ones is that he was coaching a team with a focus on building a dominant offense, not a dominant defense. Nothing wrong with that; the salary cap forces you to make decisions, and you're probably better off having one dominant unit rather than two mediocre units. But we weren't exactly spending a lot of money on getting or keeping good defensive players. We let three pretty good linebackers go in the years right after Dungy got here. Was just one of those things. He definitely served his purpose.

But the real point is that, if we don't spend resources on defensive players, it doesn't matter who the coach and coordinator are.

im skecptical. this guy was only a DC for one year.

I'm in the same boat. He did run the defense well this year. But I would have liked someone with a lot more experience. However, without having talked to him personally, it is impossible for me to determine his football I.Q. I hope Grigson is an excellent evaluator of coaching talent.

If Pagano is any good at all and able to spot talent, no way does he ask to bring Cam Cameron on board, he watches him suck the offense in practices and on game day :lol:

I don't know perhaps if Cam came in and we had Andrew Luck, we would be seeing Joe Flacco volume 2, that would be great :facepalm:. I kid, I kid :mindblow: .

I have a small concern that he has not been a head coach before, he does have 26 years of coaching experience Alot with Butch Davis who I liked. & 4 years with Harbough who I like. Everyone starts or gets there frist HC gig at some point. I pesonally like the hire!! IThe guy has the same birthday as me so he must be golden!!

I'm thrilled with this decision!

Here's his Ravens Bio; http://www.baltimoreravens.com/People/Coaches/Chuck_Pagano.aspx

Chuck Pagano, who spent three seasons as the Ravens’ secondary coach, was named defensive coordinator in January, 2011. Pagano, Baltimore’s fifth defensive coordinator in team history, leads a veteran group that finished 2010 as the NFL’s 10th-ranked unit. The vaunted defense has finished as the NFL’s No. 3 scoring defense (fewest points allowed) each of the past three seasons (2008-10). Baltimore has given up a league-low total of 16.1 points per game and permitted only 80 TDs (tied with Pit. for NFL best) in the last three years. As the team’s secondary coach, Pagano led a defensive backfield that had to adjust to a number of injuries over the past three years, including a significant loss of seven-time Pro Bowl S Ed Reed, who started 2010 on the PUP list. Even after missing the first six games, Reed still led the league with 8 INTs in only 10 games. In Pagano’s first season with the Ravens (2008), the team led the NFL with 26 INTs, including Reed’s NFL-high 9 picks. Reed, the league’s only unanimous (50 votes) All-Pro in 2008, was also coached by Pagano at the University of Miami. Reed grabbed a Miami career-record 21 INTs and blocked four punts in his four-year career under Pagano. Chuck coached the NFL’s No. 1 pass defense at Oakland in 2006 and mentored outstanding secondaries in Cleveland and Miami, prior to joining the Ravens.

2008-10: (with Baltimore)

2010: Even though he missed his first six games on PUP list, S Ed Reed still led the NFL with 8 INTs, earning his seventh Pro Bowl invite...Baltimore’s defense, which was tied for eighth with 19 INTs, finished No. 10 overall (318.9 ypg).

2009: Guided an injury-depleted secondary to a No. 8-overall ranking (tied) against the pass (207.3 ypg)...Defense ranked No. 3 overall (300.5 ypg), the seventh-straight top six finish...Reed earned his sixth Pro Bowl and added to his 13 career TDs by scoring on a 52-yard INT return vs. Cin. (10/11)...Defensive backs tallied 16 of the team’s 22 INTs and Baltimore’s turnover ratio (+10) was fourth best in the NFL.

2008: Secondary ranked No. 2 against the pass (175.5 ypg), improving dramatically from a No. 20 finish in 2007...Unit allowed only 179.7 yards per game...Reed was the NFL’s only unanimous All-Pro selection...He led the NFL with 9 INTs and scored three defensive TDs, plus another (64-yard INT-TD) in the Wild Card victory at Miami (1/4/09)...Defense finished No. 2 overall (261.1 ypg).

2007: (with North Carolina) Posted a one-year stint as the defensive coordinator/defensive backs coach, where Pagano rejoined Butch Davis (Browns and Hurricanes)…Under Pagano, the defense improved from 92nd in 2006 to 35th in 2007.

2005-06: (with Oakland) Spent two seasons as the Raiders’ defensive backs coach. 2006: Raiders led the NFL in pass defense, allowing just 150.8 yards per game, and ranked third in total defense, surrendering only 284.8 yards per contest…CB Nnamdi Asomugha was third in the NFL with 8 INTs.

2001-04: (with Cleveland) Coached the Browns’ secondary under then-head coach Butch Davis…Spent four years coaching alongside Ravens current assistant head coach/special teams coordinator Jerry Rosburg. 2003: DBs helped Cleveland tie the franchise record for allowing the fewest passing TDs (13). 2001: Under Pagano’s guidance, the Browns’ secondary accounted for 28 of the team’s NFL-leading and team-record 33 INTs, which set a new mark…Rookie CB Anthony Henry led NFL with 10 picks.

1995-2000, 1986: (with Miami)

Coached the Hurricanes’ secondary and was special teams coordinator…Pagano coached four NFL first-round DBs: Reed (Ravens, 24th-2002), Phillip Buchanon (Raiders, 17th-2002), Duane Starks (Ravens, 10th-1998) and Mike Rumph (49ers, 27th-2002)…The Hurricanes blocked a surreal 39 kicks in 59 games.

2000: Secondary was tabbed the nation’s best by Football News.

1999: DBs did not allow a passing TD in the last 27 quarters of the season, en route to a 9-4 record.

1996: Posted a single-season school-record 12 blocks.

1986: Was a G.A. at Miami for one year before moving on to Boise State…Returned to Miami in 1995 to coach the secondary and as special teams coordinator.

1992-94, 1989: (with East Carolina)

Spent three seasons as the secondary and OLBs coach in his second stop at the school.

1989: Coached the team’s secondary.

1990-91: (with UNLV)

1991: Named defensive coordinator.

1990: Coached the Rebels’ secondary.

1987-88: (with Boise State) Coached OLBs.

1984-85: (with USC) Launched his coaching career as a graduate assistant at USC in 1984.

COLLEGE

Pagano was a four-year letterman and two-year starter at strong safety for Wyoming…Graduated with a degree in marketing in 1984.

PERSONAL

A four-year letterman and two-year starter at strong safety at Fairview (Boulder, CO) HS…Brother, John, is the Chargers’ linebackers coach...Chuck and his wife, Tina, have three daughters: Tara, Taylor and Tori...Tara and her twin daughters, Avery and Addison (4), live in Idaho, and Taylor spent the 2010 summer as an intern in the Ravens’ marketing department.

Chuck Pagano is a great start. I'm still anxious to see what direction he takes the team. Will the team stay 4-3? or will it move to a more 3-4? I would love to see a mix of both for different looks, but I'm pretty confident Pags will stay in the 4-3 D and just scrap that god awful Tampa 2. I see Dwight being released honestly, I doubt it works out for him in the 3-4; If we end up keeping the 4-3 I think our DE's priority will change as well into a run stop first, pass rush 2nd. Dwight is already 31 or 32 years old and I feel like its tough to tell a Potential HOF DE to just switch his whole style up. BTW Dwight Freeney is my fav Colts Defensive player, but sometimes we gotta move on, cant pay all that money for a 1 dimensional DE.

Love the hire! What a great 12 months. Everything has gone according to plan...

1. Prove that the Colts have been a one-man show for an entire decade...check

2. Get rid of the man who cost Peyton his perfect season...check

3. Hire a defensive-minded coach who will help us forget all about the Tampa 2...check

4. Draft Andrew Luck and start a new Era...

5. Let Peyton play for any team with a defense so he can accumulate more rings...