Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Leaf's Comment on Johnny Manziel

King Colt

3 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

You know it's never a good sign when Ryan Leaf says, "You remind me of me!"

If Johnny Manziel had been addicted to ice cream instead of alcohol, maybe he'd be a backup QB somewhere.

Hey I love ice cream so let's not associate Johnny Football with ice cream!  Seriously Johnny Football needs help!  Only he can help himself!  There's some that may not like JM because of his attitude, style of play or even his talents!  The only thing I know, he has a mother and father and his blood is red - just like all of us!  JM needs help not as a football player but as a person.

26 minutes ago, 100GFB said:

Hey I love ice cream so let's not associate Johnny Football with ice cream!  Seriously Johnny Football needs help!  Only he can help himself!  There's some that may not like JM because of his attitude, style of play or even his talents!  The only thing I know, he has a mother and father and his blood is red - just like all of us!  JM needs help not as a football player but as a person.

He has to want the help for the help to do any good

He who's name is never to be mentioned is out of jail.  He got out recently.  

I'm glad he's seeing himself more accurately and would hope that if possible he might be able to connect with Manziel - though until Johnny realizes his life is out of control and headed for a terrible ending he's not likely going to take and counsel.  Sad...

Johnny Footballs problems is a result from his parents according to a couple of things I have read from people from Texas. He was never taught respect by his parents and they covered over a few questionable things he has done growing up.

1 hour ago, Girlzarefanstoo said:

He who's name is never to be mentioned is out of jail.  He got out recently.  

I'm glad he's seeing himself more accurately and would hope that if possible he might be able to connect with Manziel - though until Johnny realizes his life is out of control and headed for a terrible ending he's not likely going to take and counsel.  Sad...

Nice post GAFT. If Mr. Leaf can see the error of his ways & can see his addiction for real now, then there's hope for Johnny Football I guess. I just don't want Manziel's parents to bury their son. Children are supposed to outlive their parents not vice versa. 

49 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Johnny Footballs problems is a result from his parents according to a couple of things I have read from people from Texas. He was never taught respect by his parents and they covered over a few questionable things he has done growing up.

Johnny's problems are his own.    You can't blame mommy and daddy.     He is the problem

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That's if you believe that parents don't have an influence on how kids are raised I guess.

The next time Johnny gets in trouble his parents won't go to jail, he will.  It's past time that he be held accountable for his actions.  Johnny has two supportive parents while a good portion of NFL players grew up around extreme violence, often times missing one or both parents.  

Affluenza is not an excuse. 

8 minutes ago, Clem-Dog said:

The next time Johnny gets in trouble his parents won't go to jail, he will.  It's past time that he be held accountable for his actions.  Johnny has two supportive parents while a good portion of NFL players grew up around extreme violence, often times missing one or both parents.  

Its not a scape goat for anyone to say that Johnny is a direct result of the way he was raised, unless of course it's Johnny who says it. 

50 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Its not a scape goat for anyone to say that Johnny is a direct result of the way he was raised, unless of course it's Johnny who says it. 

Why didn't people make this excuse for Vick, Josh Gordon, R Rice, Hardy, etc?  Heck, it was confirmed that Adrian Peterson used to get beat, but nobody gave him a pass.

Regardless how Manziel was raised, he is an adult public figure and should act like it.  I guess it is his parents fault because they offer a lifetime golden parachute.  Times are tough indeed.

Rice was born in New Rochelle, New York, to Janet Rice and Calvin Reed. Reed was killed in a drive-by shooting when Ray was a year old. Rice's cousin, Myshaun Rice-Nichols, was killed by a drunk driver when Rice was ten.

excerpt from bio on Ray Rice.  It's safe to say Ray faced many more destructive elements early in his life than Johnny.

Sorry.  I'm not buying the excuses of hanger-ons around Johnny looking to capitalize before the gravy train comes to a stop.  As bad as it sounds, Johnny did something similar or worse to his girlfriend than what RRice did to his wife.  He should be banished until Rice is allowed to return.

1 hour ago, Clem-Dog said:

Do some research on the Manziel family before assuming his parents have zero to do with his upbringing. Yes Johnny is a grown man but your upbringing does effect your actions no matter what you might think. I guess you have never heard what Johnny was doing in college with selling autographs when he sure didn't need the money because his parents spoiled him and gave him everything he wanted. Johnny has never had to work a day in his life. I agree affluenza is no excuse but how a person is raised does have a lot to do with being a man that has maturity. That is something Johnny still hasn't accomplished.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Do some research on the Manziel family before assuming his parents have zero to do with his upbringing.

Everyone is affected by those who have raised them.  That's my point. 

Here is a excerpt from an ESPN article:

The affidavit states that Manziel dragged Crowley down some back steps to the hotel exit. As they passed a valet, Crowley states she pleaded with a valet as the pair left, saying: "Please don't let him take me. I'm scared for my life!" The valet responded that he didn't know what to do.

Manziel took her to Crowley's car, where she states she got in the car's passenger seat "against my will." As he was backing up, she jumped out, ran across the street and hid in some bushes.

Manziel made a U-turn to where she was, grabbed her by her hair and threw her in the car.

"He hit me with his open hand on my left ear for jumping out of the car," the affidavit states. "I realized immediately that I could not hear out of that ear, and I cannot today [Feb. 3, the date of the filing]."

He puts Rice to shame.  Also, don't forget Manziel threatened to kill her as well.

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

That's if you believe that parents don't have an influence on how kids are raised I guess.

Did his parents beat him,   molest him abuse him in some way?   Tons of kids had a much worse upbringing than that kid

42 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Did his parents beat him,   molest him abuse him in some way?   Tons of kids had a much worse upbringing than that kid

I have no way of knowing if any of the above happened. :dunno:    

I agree that he grew up in a privileged life...in a family of wealth.

I believe what some are referring to however, is that when parents don't hold kids accountable for wrong actions, whether it be  lack of discipline, lack of respect for parents and those of authority,  ~~  or simply leading by example (which has been reported that Johnny's father also has a long history of alcohol abuse I believe)  then yes, I think the parents share in the responsibility for his actions.   JMO

14 hours ago, 100GFB said:

As a Vulcan I find this a tad exclusionist. 

John McEnroe grew up in a wealthy family. He was even a ball boy at Wimbledon when Bjorn Borg was playing (btw, being a ball boy is a privilege at Wimbledon, they don't get paid for it). Lo behold, he strived for excellence and he did accomplish plenty though he did act like a brat on the tennis court :) several times. 

Peyton was born into a family that wasn't hurting by any means, Andrew Luck was the same case. All of them turned out to be hard workers that strived for excellence and didn't take things for granted. So, yes, how the parents bring up the kids is a BIG factor as to what kind of work ethic a person develops.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

John McEnroe grew up in a wealthy family. He was even a ball boy at Wimbledon when Bjorn Borg was playing (btw, being a ball boy is a privilege at Wimbledon, they don't get paid for it). Lo behold, he strived for excellence and he did accomplish plenty though he did act like a brat on the tennis court :) several times. 

Peyton was born into a family that wasn't hurting by any means, Andrew Luck was the same case. All of them turned out to be hard workers that strived for excellence and didn't take things for granted. So, yes, how the parents bring up the kids is a BIG factor as to what kind of work ethic a person develops.

What is the evidence that Johnny's parents were not good parents?

Good or bad parenting can produce the "bent" towards good or bad behavior but is never an excuse.  Anyone that reaches adulthood is responsible for their own choices and can and will be responsible for their consequences.

We have worked with Teen Challenge (a recovery organization) and you will find people with great parents who are meth addicts and people who have suffered unspeakable abuse.  Each one of them has to face what THEY have done and work to recover.  Blame gets you nowhere.

47 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

What is the evidence that Johnny's parents were not good parents?

There is no evidence, it is very much possible Johnny veered off the trajectory his parents intended him to go and after a point, was not going to listen, I acknowledge that. Like Girlzarefanstoo said, it cannot be an excuse.

Ultimately, a man is a product of his circumstances and surroundings, IMO. A lot of times, it is a result of choice. 

I agree with Chad and Girlzarefanstoo. There are just so many circumstances with these things, and no two people are the same. My father AND my grandfather were alcoholics, but both had different situations and choices to how they became that. Sometimes a person put in a certain environment will react to said environment, and other times they won't. From experience, it does often come down to choice. My father decided he had a problem and on his own sought for help, which saved his life. My grandfather didn't, and his health deteriorated severely. 

Humans are both predictable and unpredictable. It's quite often we never get the explanation or reason for an action that we personally want, because sometimes there isn't a reason. Sometimes people just... do.

Difference is from what I've seen. . . Ryan Leaf got a lot more chances in the NFL.  Other teams picked him up and tried to develop him and he just fell into the same habits as before and it got him cut.  

Johnny appears to be done already.  

Seems like NFL teams may have learned from the Leaf situation and just decided that they don't want to waste their time on this.  

It must suck terribly to look back on life, realize that you could have been ridiculously wealthy and set for life if it where not for your own immaturity and addictions.  

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Yeah,   really

Beat or molest?  A parent don't have to do that stuff to be bad parents. Parents can be bad parents by not teaching their kids respect and social skills. Johnny evidently has a drinking problem that was handed down from his father. His parents never taught him the value of money or self respect. His juvenile records are sealed but it is rumored he has a pretty extensive record as a minor. We all know how he has acted in college and the pros. Why you are being so argumentative I have no clue. You act like Johnny football and his parents have been pillars of the community. Try looking into the history of the Manziel family and the legal troubles they have had for years before Johnny was even born in Texas.

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Beat or molest?  A parent don't have to do that stuff to be bad parents. Parents can be bad parents by not teaching their kids respect and social skills. Johnny evidently has a drinking problem that was handed down from his father. His parents never taught him the value of money or self respect. His juvenile records are sealed but it is rumored he has a pretty extensive record as a minor. We all know how he has acted in college and the pros. Why you are being so argumentative I have no clue. You act like Johnny football and his parents have been pillars of the community. Try looking into the history of the Manziel family and the legal troubles they have had for years before Johnny was even born in Texas.

Please link me to any trouble his mother and father have been involved in

10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I guess,   I can't find anything about his mom and dad's legal trouble

Legal trouble has zero to do with how a child is raised. Johnny was raised by parents who did not teach him how to respect authority and to have a privileged attitude. Most parents at least to make an effort to teach their kids some sort of responsibility. Paying his way out of trouble and not forcing him to face responsibilities early in life equals the Johnny we see today.

44 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Legal trouble has zero to do with how a child is raised. Johnny was raised by parents who did not teach him how to respect authority and to have a privileged attitude. Most parents at least to make an effort to teach their kids some sort of responsibility. Paying his way out of trouble and not forcing him to face responsibilities early in life equals the Johnny we see today.

I agree with you 100%.

53 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That's an opinion that you can't back up.   

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

And you are the one that mentioned his parents having legal trouble