Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Here ya go. Only QB to do this.

Moose Of Woe

1 minute ago, No 1 Manning Fan said:

I used to think Mathis and Freeney were the best outside rushers until I saw Miller and Ware. They are in a different class.

Absolutely nasty.

Ware is not as good as he used to be, but the guy has a brain like no other. He and Miller combined are flat out deadly.

The interior of the line prevents anyone from escaping up the middle. They have a field day every week. That entire defensive unit is LOADED. Depth is a concern, but when healthy they have no equal in the league.

Just now, No 1 Manning Fan said:

I used to think Mathis and Freeney were the best outside rushers until I saw Miller and Ware. They are in a different class.

In their prime, Mathis and Freeney were just as good. If not better.

That said, Von Miller is a BEAST

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

In their prime, Mathis and Freeney were just as good. If not better.

Hard to tell, honestly. Freeney and Mathis never had the benefit of an absurd interior line like DEN has. In fact, ours was terrible most years and we'd get run over. Freeney would often run himself out of plays while runners/QB's could just go down our throat, limiting he and Mathis often.

4 minutes ago, 2bcoltfan said:

Even a guy named Brock isn't that stupid.  He'll stay with the team even though he got a raw deal this year.

How? He was Manning's back up. Manning got hurt, Brock came in. Manning got better, Brock went out. Same thing happened to Earl Morrall with the 72 Dolphins. Griese got better, Morrall started struggling, Griese took over.

I think they may cut Ware in order to sign Brock, Jackson, Trevathan, and Miller (whether he's tagged or not its still gonna cost) So my point is. Ware's older, but still very good. Good enough to put up 10 sacks or more the next 2-3 years. He would be a really nice signing. We have to fix the pass rush. Signing Ware and drafting Spence at 18 would most definitely fix it. Spence, Ware, and Mathis baby!!!! Grigson watched the playoffs. He knows how important having a dominant pass rush is. It will be addressed in the coming months.

5 hours ago, No 1 Manning Fan said:

They never had a post season like this.

They never had to.  They just had to keep the other team from catching up.  They were never asked to carry the entire team to victory like Denver's D did.  But, as nasty as Denver is on defense, we still beat them. 

5 hours ago, ColtsRule815 said:

They never had to.  They just had to keep the other team from catching up.  They were never asked to carry the entire team to victory like Denver's D did.  But, as nasty as Denver is on defense, we still beat them. 

What was it something like 24-0 right before we gave up that stupid special teams TD? Talib wishes he could do T.Y. Like he did Philly Brown. Something about Denver brings out the best in us. We don't have any fear in our hearts when it comes to them. Kind of like how the Ravens view the Pats. Just not afraid of em.

6 hours ago, ColtsRule815 said:

Well, yes and no. They were suited to play with a lead, but they never won a game in the fashion that this Denver defense did in this post season. If we had that in Indy, then Peyton would be sitting there with more than two rings on his fingers. People say that Manning disappeared in the playoffs, but it always seemed like our defense disappeared to me. 

In all fairness to Freeney and Mathis, they never played with DTs like Wolfe, we're not backed up by LBs like Trevathan, and didn't have corners like Harris and Talib. And that support makes a huge difference to the effectiveness of a pass rusher. 

It was said often this morning Peyton realized this season he should simply keep possession of the ball and not go for 400+ yards per game. Let the Denver D do what it was capable of doing. It was also said maybe when he was sidelined this year  for some games he saw his role more clearly. I am happy for him and his legend now and you have to believe he is totally satisfied knowing this is it. His last pass a two pointer in a SB win. Not too shabby 18. 

13 minutes ago, No 1 Manning Fan said:

Well, yes and no. They were suited to play with a lead, but they never won a game in the fashion that this Denver defense did in this post season. If we had that in Indy, then Peyton would be sitting there with more than two rings on his fingers. People say that Manning disappeared in the playoffs, but it always seemed like our defense disappeared to me. 

In all fairness to Freeney and Mathis, they never played with DTs like Wolfe, we're not backed up by LBs like Trevathan, and didn't have corners like Harris and Talib. And that support makes a huge difference to the effectiveness of a pass rusher. 

All of which is a complete indictment of Polian.  The 90s Bills had very similar problems.

17 minutes ago, No 1 Manning Fan said:

What killed the Colts defense were the midgets playing between Freeney and Mathis for several years. The one year the Colts had Corey Simon they were respectable. Booger McFarland was on his last legs. I saw NO logic not having 300lb interior linemen playing inside.

I'm not sure if they will be back or not.  Elway spent a lot of money and draft picks to build that defense and their star LB (Miller) is about to be a a free agent and is going to be looking for huge dollars.  

His best hope is Peyton retires and then spend the cap money that would have been spent on Peyton on Miller and extend Osweilder with whatever he has left.  

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Elway has said Brock is the future. He has said it more than a couple of times. I guess things might change but somehow I doubt it.

14 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

I think Brock has a real chance. 

He has a better chance than Peyton at that job next year, but he's a FA and they will be tagging Von Miller

I'm not sure what Brock's contract status is, but if he's under contract for what I'm sure is a reasonable amount next year, with Peyton being (likely) retired, that money that was spent on Peyton would be more than enough to pay out a max contract on a defensive end of Miller's caliber.  But he's gonna get JJ Watt money, if not more, so it'll be interesting. 

I'm sure there's a few other players on that team that'll be looking for paydays as well. 

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I'm not sure if they will be back or not.  Elway spent a lot of money and draft picks to build that defense and their star LB (Miller) is about to be a a free agent and is going to be looking for huge dollars.  

His best hope is Peyton retires and then spend the cap money that would have been spent on Peyton on Miller and extend Osweilder with whatever he has left.  

Miller will get a new deal or get tagged.  

43 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Ya but who's going to sign Osweiler other than the broncos, judging by 3 games? 

There has to be a couple teams. He beat the Pats and has studied under Peyton Manning for years. Garroppollo would get a good deal too if he hit FA based on his even smaller sample size

9 minutes ago, bababooey said:

There has to be a couple teams. He beat the Pats and has studied under Peyton Manning for years. Garroppollo would get a good deal too if he hit FA based on his even smaller sample size

I think it is more likely than not that he will stay in Denver.

12 hours ago, Moose Of Woe said:

Hard to tell, honestly. Freeney and Mathis never had the benefit of an absurd interior line like DEN has. In fact, ours was terrible most years and we'd get run over. Freeney would often run himself out of plays while runners/QB's could just go down our throat, limiting he and Mathis often.

Exactly. If Freeney and Mathis had interior play like the Broncos had, they'd be meeting those QBs more often than they did, IMO. However, for some reason, I felt our scheme limited their effectiveness too. Instead of playing the wide outs tight because you have a good pass rush, we played the soft 5 to 6 yard "whoopy cushions" and QBs would either hand off to runs down the middle with chipping or double teaming help with Mathis and Freeney. Or, they would do 2 and 3 step drops and dink and dunk us to death. It was irritating as heck.

The credit goes 100% to the defense. They carried Manning to his second ring, and everyone knows this. He played average last night, and if a better team was on the field, they could have taken advantage of his turnovers and poor play. 

Denver's offense was dead in this game, and I have to wonder if someone besides Carolina could have given them a better game. This was Carolina's game to lose from the start, and they choked it away as hard as possible. 

12 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I think they may cut Ware in order to sign Brock, Jackson, Trevathan, and Miller (whether he's tagged or not its still gonna cost) So my point is. Ware's older, but still very good. Good enough to put up 10 sacks or more the next 2-3 years. He would be a really nice signing. We have to fix the pass rush. Signing Ware and drafting Spence at 18 would most definitely fix it. Spence, Ware, and Mathis baby!!!! Grigson watched the playoffs. He knows how important having a dominant pass rush is. It will be addressed in the coming months.

I don't see Ware going anywhere. He and Wade Phillips were in Dallas together. That's one of Phillips' guys, and he's going to keep him around. 

Wade Phillips deserves praise for this Super Bowl. That man has drifted around the league for years as a defensive coordinator, and when he was in Dallas, we all know how bad he got shafted by Jerrah. Happy to see him and Ware get a ring, while Dallas imploded. 

If Manning comes back next year and tries to pull an Elway (back to back) I think Brock will get cut. 

2 minutes ago, Bogie said:

The credit goes 100% to the defense. They carried Manning to his second ring, and everyone knows this. He played average last night, and if a better team was on the field, they could have taken advantage of his turnovers and poor play. 

Denver's offense was dead in this game, and I have to wonder if someone besides Carolina could have given them a better game. This was Carolina's game to lose from the start, and they choked it away as hard as possible. 

Who else in the NFC could've threatened Denver? I think Arizona would've had as hard of a time, if not harder trying to beat them, as Palmer's immobility would've been easier for Denver to deal with than Cam. The one tradeoff there IMO is that Arizona's WRs are better than Carolina's (who has been without their top WR all season, too). Maaaaaaaaaybe the Seahawks could've given them a run, but outside of Carolina, no one else would've looked menacing to Denver IMO.

3 minutes ago, Bogie said:

I don't see Ware going anywhere. He and Wade Phillips were in Dallas together. That's one of Phillips' guys, and he's going to keep him around. 

Wade Phillips deserves praise for this Super Bowl. That man has drifted around the league for years as a defensive coordinator, and when he was in Dallas, we all know how bad he got shafted by Jerrah. Happy to see him and Ware get a ring, while Dallas imploded. 

If Manning comes back next year and tries to pull an Elway (back to back) I think Brock will get cut. 

I could see Ware retiring though but if Peyton retires, I can see Elway signing Brock to a 3 year $40 mil. contract that is incentive laden or something like that.

If Peyton retires, Clady restructures, they bring back Von Miller, Ware for last year of contract (to mentor Shane Ray and Shaq Barrett, their next crop of pass rushers), probably lose Malik Jackson to free agency, lose one of Brandon Marshall or Danny Trevathan to free agency and bring back the ones they want to bring back.

Steelers, if healthy, have a good thing going, IMO and they will be the biggest threat to the Patriots and Colts next year, not the Broncos who will be losing a few players on D to free agency, hard to keep them all.

11 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Wade Phillips was also the Bills coach in the late 90s, the last time this team actually made the playoffs. Got shafted in Buffalo too IMO, so I was happy to see Wade get a ring (he was involved in the Music City Forward Pass game).

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I could see Ware retiring though but if Peyton retires, I can see Elway signing Brock to a 3 year $40 mil. contract that is incentive laden or something like that.

If Peyton retires, Clady restructures, they bring back Von Miller, Ware for last year of contract (to mentor Shane Ray and Shaq Barrett, their next crop of pass rushers), probably lose Malik Jackson to free agency, lose one of Brandon Marshall or Danny Trevathan to free agency and bring back the ones they want to bring back.

Steelers, if healthy, have a good thing going, IMO and they will be the biggest threat to the Patriots and Colts next year, not the Broncos who will be losing a few players on D to free agency, hard to keep them all.

I like Brock, so I'd like to see him take over, but if Peyton comes back, I don't see that happening. 

I'm hoping Manning does retire, and in the process retires as a Colt. He owes it to the fans here, since he spent his prime in blue and white, and had all the MVP's, the SB, and I believe it's worth him going out as a Colt, since he introduced a new younger generation of football fans to the fold. 

I would hate to see him return at age 40 like Favre did and go out with a horrific injury. Watching Favre in 2010 was depressing and how it all ended was a real heart break. 

You and I are on the same page with the Steelers. I think if they would have got past Denver, they would have given New England a tough game with Brown coming back. Pittsburgh probably wins the AFC this year, if they could have just got past Denver, and they turned out to be the one team that played them the toughest in all of the playoffs. I like Pittsburgh's chances next year of representing the AFC, if they can adjust their secondary a bit, which I do expect to improve over time.