Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Run D

krunk

Our d-line is a strength. No surprise here. LBs also were pretty solid tonight.

Outside of a slip here or there I liked what Sio and Nate brought to the table. I don't see how we allow Werner back on the field for significant snaps.

Outside of a slip here or there I liked what Sio and Nate brought to the table. I don't see how we allow Werner back on the field for significant snaps.

Sio put Mallett out of the game with that hit and was flagged for helmet crowning. Anyway, that was a tough as nails hit. That's the kind of tackling this team needs to adjust to. Just shift the shoulders around and avoid the flag. Hard nose football won this game.

agreed but I'm sure BB will watch this tape and pass 50 times.

That's just smart football. Our defense is at it's best in a phone booth, and if our corners are healthy, we cover the outside well. They'll attack the middle of the field with the passing game, and Edelman and Gronk will probably combine for 30 targets. 

Langford, Parry and Anderson are all playing great.  I hope they keep this up.  Stopping the run is a huge key to success.  I just hope they figure out how to put some pressure on the QB.  With Brady, Brees, Manning, Newton and Ryan coming up on the schedule, they better figure that out.

Yes run D has been very good. We have to find a way to get pressure on the QBs. Pass rush is killing our DBs and LBs in coverage.

Yep..run defense was on point. Anderson and Parry and Langford really really really impressed me. DQ was coming up and making big hits too.

That said the pass d was much less than to be desired. I was not impressed with Vontae, Toler or our safeties. A lot of miscommunication and lax coverage. The pass rush...non-existant....that will really really cause us problems next week and beyond if we can't generate anything better than last night. Very dissappointed we couldn't get after their qbs even when they had substitute lineman in.

That's just smart football. Our defense is at it's best in a phone booth, and if our corners are healthy, we cover the outside well. They'll attack the middle of the field with the passing game, and Edelman and Gronk will probably combine for 30 targets. 

YEP YEP YEP...we need to cover the middle of the field much better. The problems we have had with players coming out of the slot and the TEs I look for NE to gash us mercilessly over and over next week on those plays. Combine that with the fact we are producing zero pass rush I am not excited to see what NE has in store for us. I am happy to see we are starting to develop something that resembles a running game at least. I know you watch closely...when did we move Mewhort back to LG and Reitz to RT...because they looked very comfortable and much better at those positions. Guess I didn't notice it before.

Langford, Parry and Anderson are all playing great.  I hope they keep this up.  Stopping the run is a huge key to success.  I just hope they figure out how to put some pressure on the QB.  With Brady, Brees, Manning, Newton and Ryan coming up on the schedule, they better figure that out.

Anderson I think was a STEAL in the draft. Just can't sing this kids praises enough. I know people hate on Grigson but give him some credit there.

YEP YEP YEP...we need to cover the middle of the field much better. The problems we have had with players coming out of the slot and the TEs I look for NE to gash us mercilessly over and over next week on those plays. Combine that with the fact we are producing zero pass rush I am not excited to see what NE has in store for us. I am happy to see we are starting to develop something that resembles a running game at least. I know you watch closely...when did we move Mewhort back to LG and Reitz to RT...because they looked very comfortable and much better at those positions. Guess I didn't notice it before.

Pass rush doesn't affect New England because Brady plays hot potato with the football. We'll probably get five real opportunities to really rush him all game. I'd go with a four man rush most of the time and play single-high man coverage with a bracket on Gronk. 

LOL at the question about the line. It's all we've been talking about for three weeks, man! They made that change to start the Titans game. It's been a good one. Not without it's speed bumps, but I'm confident it's our best lineup.

I wonder if the both issues are related.  Maybe we play the run on everything (sort of always look for the run before going after the QB), as opposed to go for the QB every play and tackle the runner on the way by (as in the Dungy years).  A lot of those passing plays, the DL still looked to be playing the run first with very little explosion.  And unfortunately, we still can't blitz.  

Still though, stopping the run is a breath of fresh air!

Don't Sio and Nate both play ILB?  Regardless, IMO, Werner has played well this year in the time given.  Will never be the pass rusher we envisioned, but if we can get over that, he's pretty solid.

Pass rush doesn't affect New England because Brady plays hot potato with the football. We'll probably get five real opportunities to really rush him all game. I'd go with a four man rush most of the time and play single-high man coverage with a bracket on Gronk. 

LOL at the question about the line. It's all we've been talking about for three weeks, man! They made that change to start the Titans game. It's been a good one. Not without it's speed bumps, but I'm confident it's our best lineup.

Yeah...I've missed a lot. We have a hiring freeze and I'm short one and missing one who is on vacation so..yeah...overworked lol.

You still have to get some type of pressure though...because he will hold it for 4 or 5 seconds until someone uncovers if he has to...we've seen it before. I know he gets rid of it fast but thats what we want. Get rid of it fast and play tight coverage...even if they catch it we HAVE to tackle with little yac. The only away to limit that offense.

Don't Sio and Nate both play ILB?  Regardless, IMO, Werner has played well this year in the time given.  Will never be the pass rusher we envisioned, but if we can get over that, he's pretty solid.

Sio is not limited to just ILB if you haven't noticed. He can play any of the OLB positions. He's probably the most versatile LB we have right now.   Sio is the more effective pass rusher.

Not to throw any cold water on this, but are any of the teams we've played considered great or even good running teams?

Every team we've played other than maybe Tennessee are considered good to really good running teams and Tennessee has bulked up and gotten some better runners themselves.

The Run D has been very very good this year. Now if only we could get a pass rush or if our corners could play tight man coverage and, you know, defend a pass every now and then.

Even Davis has been getting torched and looking lost out there...

a lot of zone being played with vontae I don't understand why we set out corners up to fail..Manusky knows butler sucks on the outside and puts him there..knows Jackson can't cover relies on him to cover...vontae really sucks at zone but excels in man coverage yet places him in zone..?

a lot of zone being played with vontae I don't understand why we set out corners up to fail..Manusky knows butler sucks on the outside and puts him there..knows Jackson can't cover relies on him to cover...vontae really sucks at zone but excels in man coverage yet places him in zone..?

Hard to play pure man coverage when you have a foot injury. He would have looked even worse.

Our d-line is a strength. No surprise here. LBs also were pretty solid tonight. 

Actually, thats a HUGE surprise.  Keep in mind, the Texans O line has at least 2 pro-bowl linemen, while not the best line in the league, they aren't push overs either.  And holding Foster to a 2.1 average, isn't bad at ALL, especially for rookies.  If we can do that against new england.....and somehow stop their pass..........

The funny thing is the Patriots are not known to be this big running team. For some reason in past contests they turn in to that against us.  I feel much more confident about getting that thing stopped this time around .

Hard to play pure man coverage when you have a foot injury. He would have looked even worse.

If that foot injury is the reason for his substandard play lately (based on his on high levels), then in a way I'm relieved.  Better than him regressing due to him just regressing.