Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Duron Carter getting a lot of Hype & Anticipation

TKnight24

With all due respect Moncrief was 3rd rounder in a stacked WR draft and in a season where Reggie got injured and Nicks didn't exactly wow, only managed to put up 444 yards in the regular season. Now that's not intended as knock on him, I think he did fairly well and shows promise. 

If Carter can match that production and playing time he's done very well. It's still a darn good pick up though, a no lose gamble. 

Honestly I was a little worried about Moncrief's fall off towards the end of the season (although he did make a big play in the playoffs).  

But now I think about it, his rookie year reminds me quite a bit of TY's rookie year with the exception that Moncrief wasn't pressed into service as early.  

If he picks up route running like TY did he will do well.  I'd love for him to spend some time learning from Andre Johnson though, because not only can Andre teach him to run routes, but Moncrief, unlike Hilton has the size to win some 50/50 balls which Andre is also good at.  

Honestly Andre Johnson's greatest value just might be teaching Moncrief and Carter how to be better players.

The team's own website calls the kid a "sleeper"....      he's projected to maybe be our 4th WR.

That doesn't sound like much hype to me..........

I think they mean hype from fans, not from the team. He's a promising unknown, that's it at this point. A lot of CFL stars can't make NFL rosters. A while back I read a really good article by someone who watched him in Canada. He wasn't a superstar there, but it looked like he was developing.

He's most likely the 6th WR going into camp. Saying he's already better than any guy on our roster with game experience is foolish.

I think they mean hype from fans, not from the team. He's a promising unknown, that's it at this point. A lot of CFL stars can't make NFL rosters. A while back I read a really good article by someone who watched him in Canada. He wasn't a superstar there, but it looked like he was developing.

He's most likely the 6th WR going into camp. Saying he's already better than any guy on our roster with game experience is foolish.

6th?       I assume these are the other five?

-- TYH

-- Johnson

-- Moncrief

-- Whalen

-- Brown

OK....   if you want to say guys who have played actual NFL games and caught actual passes in those games are better heading into camp than a guy coming from Canada,  I can accept that.

But I suspect Grigson/Pagano are hoping that it won't take too many days/practices of camp before Carter clearly shows what he can do and moves up the depth chart.     I think the hope is for him to be 4th his first year.   

As for fans hype.....   well,  yeah,  that's what fans do.    Sort of the nature of the beast,  but I know you know that....

-- TYH

-- Johnson

-- Moncrief

-- Whalen

-- Brown

OK....   if you want to say guys who have played actual NFL games and caught actual passes in those games are better heading into camp than a guy coming from Canada,  I can accept that.

But I suspect Grigson/Pagano are hoping that it won't take too many days/practices of camp before Carter clearly shows what he can do and moves up the depth chart.     I think the hope is for him to be 4th his first year.   

As for fans hype.....   well,  yeah,  that's what fans do.    Sort of the nature of the beast,  but I know you know that....

I'm not saying Whalen or Brown are better. I'm just saying that until he actually plays in the NFL it's ridiculous to say he's already better than guys on our roster who have.

It will be interesting if he gets any snaps with Andrew in the preseason.

My bad.  I knew one of my friends on the other side of the water would correct me if wrong :)  I liked the sketch.   :)

Good effort though Brent. As a pretty irrelevant bit of info, I live about 400 yards from that (Tower) bridge. When the sun is shining over old London town, it's not a bad part of the world!

Good effort though Brent. As a pretty irrelevant bit of info, I live about 400 yards from that (Tower) bridge. When the sun is shining over old London town, it's not a bad part of the world!

I can only imagine.  What a view for you.  I would love to see it sometime.  Imagining it now :)

-- TYH

-- Johnson

-- Moncrief

-- Whalen

-- Brown

Hype? You have that 100% correct with the fans who bring the hype. I seem to remember a lot of hype brought when the Colts traded for Richardson. I know it's an old worn out subject but the hype was off the charts when that trade was made. Hind sight is always 20-20 and we all can get over wrapped up in players brought in.

Don't play coy. Let me reiterate for you what was already straight forward: Whalen has at least proved himself to be a competent pro, Carter has proved nothing to this point.

i disagree with that.  the guy has 280 career yards over 2 seasons.  carter easily has the talent to match or far surpass that in his first season as the fifth string

i dont think whalen has proven anything other than that he can run a slant route and do nothing after the catch

i disagree with that. the guy has 280 career yards over 2 seasons. carter easily has the talent to match or far surpass that in his first season as the fifth string

lmao, are you even reading my posts? How many more times must I repeat myself?

Bogus. Duron is completely unproven as an NFL player. He has the talent to be much better than Whalen, but so do a lot of people who never realize it.

i dont think whalen has proven anything other than that he can run a slant route and do nothing after the catch

Again, let me repeat myself. Whalen has proved to be a competent 5th, borderline 4th WR, despite your nonesense disparaging remarks. What has Carter proven to this point? Nothing.

Do you understand what I'm getting at yet? I'm not arguing for Griff Whalen, I'm arguing against the stupid idea that Carter (a complete unknown at the NFL level) is guaranteed to be the better pro than Griff before he has even had one practice with the team or in the NFL for that matter. That is, as I said, bogus.

Remember Griff Whalen made the NFL as a UDFA and has stuck around going on his 4th season now, Duron Carter did not even get signed as a UDFA. Talent does not always win out.

Again, let me repeat myself. Whalen has proved to be a competent 5th, borderline 4th WR,

thats a stretch.  he might be good enough for 6th string and occasional punt returner.  he took the field because of our lack of depth, but that hardly makes him a proven nfl level talent

the fact that he played a few snaps does not prove that he is any good at all.  johnny manziel has also taken snaps in the nfl, and made a play or two, by your logic he has proven himself too

thats a stretch. he might be good enough for 6th string and occasional punt returner. he took the field because of our lack of depth, but that hardly makes him a proven nfl level talent

the fact that he played a few snaps does not prove that he is any good at all. johnny manziel has also taken snaps in the nfl, and made a play or two, by your logic he has proven himself too

Congratulations, you once again completely ignored the point in order to disparage Griff Whalen and misinterpret the definition of "competent". And, lmao at your Manziel comparison. That's such a truly terrible comparison.

Anyway, you clearly have no argument for the point I was making or you still don't get it, in which case, I'm not going to spell it out for you again.

Congratulations, you once again completely ignored the point in order to disparage Griff Whalen and misinterpret the definition of "competent". And, lmao at your Manziel comparison. That's such a truly terrible comparison.

Anyway, you clearly have no argument for the point I was making or you still don't get it, in which case, I'm not going to spell it out for you again.

my argument is that he is less than competent.  you can spell out all that you like but its still only your interpretation.

the fact that he caught a few passes doesnt deem him competent in my book

my argument is that he is less than competent. you can spell out all that you like but its still only your interpretation.

the fact that he caught a few passes doesnt deem him competent in my book

You're off the rails. You have ommited Duron Carter completely and your tangent argument is biased opinion laden.

Idk, but Barry Sanders son is legit. Snoop Doggs son is legit (even though Snoop is more basketball) and Ray Lewis son is legit

They have the bloodlines, give them the chances lol

Did I miss something?  I thought Snoop was an all-star bong sucker, not a Pro-Athlete?  Not sure how he fits in the discussion.  His son may be awesome, but unless he raps and smokes like his Dad (and he better not inherit the latter or he won't be in the league long) I doubt he'll get much else except hype and promotion from his Dad.  

and everytime you call whalen competent its just your own biased opinion too.

And you're still making this about Griff Whalen. It's not. This is about Duron Carter.

It's irrelevant what I think or you think. It's a fact Whalen is a competent enough WR to hang around the NFL going on his 4th season. Duron Carter has yet to even practice in the NFL, he's an unknown quantity. Understand?

Your issue is you think I'm saying Griff Whalen is going to beat out Carter. I'm not. I'm saying we can't know how Carter will perform because he's a wild card.

Don't play coy. Let me reiterate for you what was already straight forward: Whalen has at least proved himself to be a competent pro, Carter has proved nothing to this point.

So by that line of thinking, Whalen,at the moment is better than Amari Cooper,Kevin WHITE,Devante Parker and the rest of the 2015 WR Draft class?

So by that line of thinking, Whalen,at the moment is better than Amari Cooper,Kevin WHITE,Devante Parker and the rest of the 2015 WR Draft class?

First off, Duron Carter is not any of those guys. If he were, every team would have been fighting over him.

Second and most importantly, where did I say Whalen was better than Carter? Hint: I never did. In fact, I said Carter has the talent/potential to be much better than Whalen, but my point was that saying Carter is "far better" than Whalen before having 1 practice in the NFL is ridiculous. Carter was a stud in the CFL but those guys bust in the NFL more than they succeed.

Again, this is about the 100th time I've made this point. I'm not sure why it's so difficult to comprehend.

Impressive. Where was this? Let's hope he can live up to that billing.

Matt Waldmans - Rookie Scouting Portfolio

I hesitated to put the source because I know a lot of people are likely going to blow it off because he does a lot with fantasy football. But, I have listened to his podcast, watched his web videos, and seen him with other draft analysts and he does a lot of film work and I think he does a solid job even if his much of his audience is for fantasy. 

Matt Waldmans - Rookie Scouting Portfolio

I hesitated to put the source because I know a lot of people are likely going to blow it off because he does a lot with fantasy football. But, I have listened to his podcast, watched his web videos, and seen him with other draft analysts and he does a lot of film work and I think he does a solid job even if his much of his audience is for fantasy.

Cool. I have to question anyone putting White and especially DGB ahead of Cooper. Cooper is about the most polished and productice WR I've seen coming out of college and he did it in the SEC.

And you're still making this about Griff Whalen. It's not. This is about Duron Carter.

fair enough.  as for carter goes there is a lot of tape out there it just happens to be in the cfl.  duron is not your averge cfl player though.  if any cfl player could be considered a safe translation its him.  he was recruited by ohio state which is about as pro style as college football gets. 

his family said he didnt do well in college because he just wanted to play football and not worry about going to class.  i can understand that considering he was born into a rich family and he doesnt really have any need for a degree.  obviously that back fired a little bit, but going by his cfl tape he looks like he would be among the top WRs from this class, somewhere in the 5-10 range

fair enough. as for carter goes there is a lot of tape out there it just happens to be in the cfl. duron is not your averge cfl player though. if any cfl player could be considered a safe translation its him. he was recruited by ohio state which is about as pro style as college football gets.

his family said he didnt do well in college because he just wanted to play football and not worry about going to class. i can understand that considering he was born into a rich family and he doesnt really have any need for a degree. obviously that back fired a little bit, but going by his cfl tape he looks like he would be among the top WRs from this class, somewhere in the 5-10 range

I don't disagree with any of that. As I've been saying the potential is there and his ceiling is much higher than Whalen's but we need to see him realize it in the NFL before we crown him.