Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should we trade up in the 2015 draft for 2 elite or 3 near elite defensive players?

I know we are still in the football season and will probably make the playoffs, so the draft isn't the first thing on anyone's mind at the moment, but we have a 1st round pick this year and our defense is a concern. There are defensive players of all types going in the 1st two rounds this year that could be useful this year. IMO, I think this is the perfect opportunity to trade up and grab either an extra 1st rounder this year (trade a 2nd and 3rd to get into the bottom of the 1st or the early 2nd). We could also do something different and trade a few mid round picks (a 3rd, 4th, and a 6th) to get into the early-mid 2nd round and grab an elite to near elite player that fell out of the first. I can't think of one position on our defense that can't be improved. CB is probably our strongest starting position, but even there, outside of Vontae, is somewhat weak.

Here is a list of players that can be drafted within the 1st two rounds on defense that we could reasonably draft or trade up for.

Vic Beasley: OLB

Landon Collins: SS

Danny Shelton: DT

Michael Bennett: DT

Shaq Thompson: OLB

Trae Waynes: CB

P.J. Williams: CB

Benardrick McKinney: ILB/OLB

Lorenzo Mauldin: DE/OLB

Cody Prewitt: FS

Denzell Perryman: ILB

We could reasonably get 2 or 3 of these guys if we trade up in the draft, and probably do it without sacrificing any picks next year. What are your opinions on this? Would you trade up to get an extra 1st and get two elite guys out of here or would you rather trade into the second and grab a guy who falls a bit into the mid second? I think we could fix our defense this year with a little gameplan and strategy. Of course, we'd have to draft the right guys, but I trust Grigson.

The defensive positions we need elite talent at is ILB, Safety, and NT. I actually said in another topic the Colts might need to trade up. We just can't give up too much because we also need the middle round picks to look at depth at positions like CB where we are really thin.

If I had to pick the 3, it would be for McKinney or Perryman at ILB, Pewit or Anthony Harris at Safety, and maybe Danny Shelton at NT or the top CB available if he's gone. ILB is the most important IMO because we not only need help in the run game, but we need an ILB that can cover TE's as well as be the future signal caller on the D.

On the other hand, you could Safety is the top priority because Mike Adams is 38 and Landry won't be back. And Brown is not the future. So we might need to trade up to really turn the D around.

I know we are still in the football season and will probably make the playoffs, so the draft isn't the first thing on anyone's mind at the moment, but we have a 1st round pick this year and our defense is a concern. There are defensive players of all types going in the 1st two rounds this year that could be useful this year. IMO, I think this is the perfect opportunity to trade up and grab either an extra 1st rounder this year (trade a 2nd and 3rd to get into the bottom of the 1st or the early 2nd). We could also do something different and trade a few mid round picks (a 3rd, 4th, and a 6th) to get into the early-mid 2nd round and grab an elite to near elite player that fell out of the first. I can't think of one position on our defense that can't be improved. CB is probably our strongest starting position, but even there, outside of Vontae, is somewhat weak.

Here is a list of players that can be drafted within the 1st two rounds on defense that we could reasonably draft or trade up for.

Vic Beasley: OLB

Landon Collins: SS

Danny Shelton: DT

Michael Bennett: DT

Shaq Thompson: OLB

Trae Waynes: CB

P.J. Williams: CB

Benardrick McKinney: ILB/OLB

Lorenzo Mauldin: DE/OLB

Cody Prewitt: FS

Denzell Perryman: ILB

We could reasonably get 2 or 3 of these guys if we trade up in the draft, and probably do it without sacrificing any picks next year. What are your opinions on this? Would you trade up to get an extra 1st and get two elite guys out of here or would you rather trade into the second and grab a guy who falls a bit into the mid second? I think we could fix our defense this year with a little gameplan and strategy. Of course, we'd have to draft the right guys, but I trust Grigson.

How do you propose trading up to acquire two premium defensive players without also trading picks for next year's draft as well?!?

This, I gotta see!?!

How do you propose trading up to acquire two premium defensive players without also trading picks for next year's draft as well?!?

This, I gotta see!?!

Considering that the first round is full of defensive players, I'm sure one or two will drop to our position. Also we could trade our 2nd, 3rd, and a pick like a 5th or 6th if we have too to get back into the first and take another. It'd cost us sure, but it'd be worth it if premium players at a position of need fell a bit. Obviously we can't trade into the top 10.

I think we could find elite prospects around the 10th pick next year because the amount of teams on need of QB:
Tampa, Washington, St. Louis, Houston, NYJ, Buffalo, Tennessee, Chicago those teams are looking for a QB i count 8 teams that are gonna draft a QB, and we can also count NYG, Cardinals, Bengals teams that are gonna draft a QB at any point on the draft, so i could see elite prospects slipping through the top 10 although there aren't 8 elite prospects but i can see many teams reaching a QB, Mariota, Winston, Hundley going on the top 10 and we may seen a couple of second tier prospects going before the 20th pick, so we may trade up with the Viks or Dolphins.

Need more QUALITY STARTERS, less "projects" (Werner) or "reaches" (M. Hughes) or players that we hope pan out.

An instant star at NT/DE would help a lot, as would an ILB and Safety. Would not mind a Tackle though, if that means releasing Gosder Cherilus and his contract.

Anything past the 1st round of the draft is a crap shoot, I say go all in, get as many 1-3rd round picks as possible.

Yes.  The defense lacks a top playmaker.  Only in the top 15 picks of the 1st round can one really be found.  After that, a team tends to be lucky to find one.  It happens, but if you know you are one or two playmakers from being a very good defense, you go get those guys if you have the chance.

I'm strongly against this type of trading simply because the Colts are NOT one or two key defensive players away from competing at a higher level.     We're just not.

Our grocery list of needs is long....   and it's on both sides of the ball.     We'll need most, if not all of our picks.

We're not as close as we'd like to building a monster....   especially not on the defensive side of the ball.....

Patience will be needed.....

I'm strongly against this type of trading simply because the Colts are NOT one or two key defensive players away from competing at a higher level.     We're just not.

Our grocery list of needs is long....   and it's on both sides of the ball.     We'll need most, if not all of our picks.

We're not as close as we'd like to building a monster....   especially not on the defensive side of the ball.....

Patience will be needed.....

Let me ask you this. Do you believe Grigson can hit on some defensive players in the draft? He nailed the offensive side pretty well. He's kinda whiffed a bit on defense, though I will admit most of the picks were low round picks. Vontae Davis was a hit, but it was trading a draft pick for an active player, not drafting a player. I know we'll go defense with some picks, I'm just curious how Grigson will do when the pressure is on him to build a solid defense through the draft now.

Let me ask you this. Do you believe Grigson can hit on some defensive players in the draft? He nailed the offensive side pretty well. He's kinda whiffed a bit on defense, though I will admit most of the picks were low round picks. Vontae Davis was a hit, but it was trading a draft pick for an active player, not drafting a player. I know we'll go defense with some picks, I'm just curious how Grigson will do when the pressure is on him to build a solid defense through the draft now.

I sure hope he doesn't whiff on defensive picks.    Because if he does,  then we're so screwed!

I'm not ready to call Werner a bust yet,   and Newsome may turn into something.    And I hope Hughes does too.

But otherwise,  we haven't invested much in defensive players and that's what I'm expecting this year....    a big investment on that side of the ball.

I sure hope he doesn't whiff on defensive picks.    Because if he does,  then we're so screwed!

I'm not ready to call Werner a bust yet,   and Newsome may turn into something.    And I hope Hughes does too.

But otherwise,  we haven't invested much in defensive players and that's what I'm expecting this year....    a big investment on that side of the ball.

Werner will be solid, but not great IMO. I like the pick, but he won't be elite probably. Newsome I think has big potential, his probably is lack of playing time. He could have 6 or 7 sacks by now if he had adequate playing time. Hughes we'll see, I could go either way with him. I expect at least 2 out of 3 of our first picks during the draft next year will be defense. I almost hope we just go BPA and take whoever falls as we could improve at every position. Grigson seems to do a solid job on the first few rounds, that's part of the reason I hope we trade up, even if it's back into the 2nd or 3rd round (doesn't have to be the 1st). Seems like a top heavy draft on the defensive side of the ball.

Need more QUALITY STARTERS, less "projects" (Werner) or "reaches" (M. Hughes) or players that we hope pan out.

An instant star at NT/DE would help a lot, as would an ILB and Safety. Would not mind a Tackle though, if that means releasing Gosder Cherilus and his contract.

Anything past the 1st round of the draft is a crap shoot, I say go all in, get as many 1-3rd round picks as possible.

Not with Grigson. There have been a few misses as with any team, (Kerwynn Williams, Chandler Harnish, John Boyett,etc..) but he's shown an ability to find depth late in the draft. Newsome was a 5th round pick,as was Vick Ballard. Zach Kerr was undrafted as was Dewey McDonald who is excellent on special teams. Lavon Brazil (before he decided to be a knucklehead) was a 4th round pick. You can say that he's underwhelmed, but Josh Chapman was also a late round pick who starts at NT.

You never know with Grigson. Who wouldve thought Newsome would be a better OLB than the one we took in the 1st round in 2013. What we really need are great players, not average or mediocre ones. He has a habit of experimenting with below average players longer than he should (Satele, Landry,etc...). If that means trading up from the 6th to 7th, or 3rd back into the 2nd, then so be it. They just need to be instant upgrades, or at least serviceable with room to become great.

The draft as a whole is a crapshoot. 2013 was a really really weak draft overall. Of all the pass rushers taken in the first round, Werner is probably playing better than anyone save Ziggy Ansah (Who went top 10 and plays next to elite DT's). Even look at 2012, outside of Luck, hardly anyone in the top 15 panned out. There are no sure things.

The 2011 draft seems amazing right now.  

J.J. Watt, Richards Sherman, Patrick Peterson, Von Miller, Tyron Smith, Marcell Dareus, Julio Jones, A.J. Green, Robert Quinn, DeMarco Murray, Julius Thomas, Justin Houston, Muhammad Wilkerson, Jordan Cameron, Jurrell Casey, Cameron Jordan, Mike Pouncey, Ryan Kerrigan, Cam Newton.

I think we have way too many needs to consider a big trade up. 

A team with 10-6 or 11-5 records can never have "too many needs". Whenever we look a a team closely enough, one can see things that opponents can't see. e.g. Everyone outside of Indy will see that we won today's game, and good night.

If we can get 3 reliable starters thru the draft, it'll be great. e.g. imagine the team having Kyle Long, haha Clinton-Dix, and Jamie Collins.

A team with 10-6 or 11-5 records can never have "too many needs". Whenever we look a a team closely enough, one can see things that opponents can't see. e.g. Everyone outside of Indy will see that we won today's game, and good night.

If we can get 3 reliable starters thru the draft, it'll be great. e.g. imagine the team having Kyle Long, haha Clinton-Dix, and Jamie Collins.

This team has way too many needs to trade up.    Way too many.

OL, DL,  Safety, Corner,  ILB,  OLB,  RB,  WR

We're not going to win 10-12 games this year because we're a great team.   We're going to win that many games because we're a good team who plays in an especially weak division.

Like I said,  way too many needs.

We're not going to win 10-12 games this year because we're a great team.   We're going to win that many games because we're a good team who plays in an especially weak division.

They only look glaring because we watch them every week, so we see their problems more so than anyone else.

There can be improvements at every position, but the most glaring is Safety, then backup corner. The pass rush will be better next year with Newsome and Werner being a year more experienced, and Mathis coming back. LOL at WR being a need. If anything, we have too many receivers such that the good ones aren't even seeing playing time, e.g. Hakeem Nicks. Put him on any other team as #2 or #3 option, and he'd be putting up 900-1100 yards a year.

For OLB I'd love to have Shawn Oakman out of Baylor. He's 6-9, 280 pounds, very strong, decently fast, with 46 tackles, 9 sacks, 3 FF, and 3 batted passed. A quick search says people have him going in 2nd-3rd round, might be worth a look.

They only look glaring because we watch them every week, so we see their problems more so than anyone else.

There can be improvements at every position, but the most glaring is Safety, then backup corner. The pass rush will be better next year with Newsome and Werner being a year more experienced, and Mathis coming back. LOL at WR being a need. If anything, we have too many receivers such that the good ones aren't even seeing playing time, e.g. Hakeem Nicks. Put him on any other team as #2 or #3 option, and he'd be putting up 900-1100 yards a year.

These are the same type of assumptions and wishful thinking that has brought us our stellar O Line.  Newsome has shown flashes, but is far from a sure thing ... IMO Werner may become a solid SLB, but I don't think he is ever going to be a strong pass rusher ... and while we hope Mathis picks up were he left off their are no guarantees; he's not getting an younger.  That being said I don't think we should do the trade the OP suggests, but I do think getting a good pass rusher is a high priority.

I'm not certain what team or games you're watching, but it's not the one I'm watching.

Yes, the pass rush will be better,  but our DL is still not very good, and we need another solid presence.

You're laughing over our WR's?    Seriously?    Next year,  we'll have TYH and Moncrief and maybe Reggie.    That's it.  But Reggie could retire and Nicks will likely be released.   And who knows what Carter will be?

You think Hicks is turning out those kind of yards for another team?    He's struggling just to get open for us much less catch a pass.    Odds are,  he gets released at the end of the year.    You think the colts are releasing a guy capable of catching 1,000 yards worth of passes?

And the most glaring -- beyond even safety and corner -- is offensive line.    Three years into building a new team, and our OL is still substandard.   I'm stunned you don't realize it.

Why do you think we've lost to Denver, Philly, Pitts, and NE?    Those are the four best teams we've faced.  Lost to each one.     We're not as good as you think.

I don't know what to tell you.    We see the same thing much differently.....

You know who else is watching. . . our opponents.  

A lot of places we need to shore up, especially when we are looking at Redding and Wayne probably retiring after this season.  And maybe Hasselbeck too. . . but getting a backup QB should be easier then replacing those two.

We're a team that's carried by it's quarterback in a weak division with an relatively easy schedule, even if you don't count the 6 division games.

Defense isn't scaring very many teams that have good QB's.  Offense turns the ball over way too much.  Pressure on Luck way too easy to get especially if you know the weak spots in the O-line.  Run game scares no one when our best running back couldn't seem to stick with any other team and our #2 RB is a mega bust of epic proportions that is essentially only a 3rd down back.  

Plus a stable on offense and a stable on defense contemplating retirement at the end of this year.

Don't get me wrong, we're an improving team.  But we've got too many holes to fill and moving up in the first round costs a lot.  

You know who else is watching. . . our opponents.  

A lot of places we need to shore up, especially when we are looking at Redding and Wayne probably retiring after this season.  And maybe Hasselbeck too. . . but getting a backup QB should be easier then replacing those two.

We're a team that's carried by it's quarterback in a weak division with an relatively easy schedule, even if you don't count the 6 division games.

Defense isn't scaring very many teams that have good QB's.  Offense turns the ball over way too much.  Pressure on Luck way too easy to get especially if you know the weak spots in the O-line.  Run game scares no one when our best running back couldn't seem to stick with any other team and our #2 RB is a mega bust of epic proportions that is essentially only a 3rd down back.  

Plus a stable on offense and a stable on defense contemplating retirement at the end of this year.

Don't get me wrong, we're an improving team.  But we've got too many holes to fill and moving up in the first round costs a lot.

How about moving up into the 3nd and 3rd rounds? I think that's where you'll really get your future starters on D. It's fine if we stay put in the first. I don't see anyone projected to go in he top 15 that we'd need besides Leonard from USC. But there will be alot of nice prospects in that 2-3 range that we should "double dip" for. That's where the elite safeties will be. That's also where the best CBs will probably go. Might also be a better NT than Chapman there.

How about moving up into the 3nd and 3rd rounds? I think that's where you'll really get your future starters on D. It's fine if we stay put in the first. I don't see anyone projected to go in he top 15 that we'd need besides Leonard from USC. But there will be alot of nice prospects in that 2-3 range that we should "double dip" for. That's where the elite safeties will be. That's also where the best CBs will probably go. Might also be a better NT than Chapman there.

This was my second option, trading up for a few "near elite" players. It's possible they all burn out, but if we get 3 players in the 2-3 range and Grigson does his research, it's very likely he can hit on 2 of them. He has a solid track record in rounds 2-3. Fleener, Allen, Hilton, Mewhort, Moncrief, are all hits in rounds 2-3. Thornton seems like a miss, but you could also count Vontae if you wanted as a hit. Depending on your perspective, that's 5/6 or 6/7 hits for Grigson in round 2 and 3. I trust him if he wants to do that.

This was my second option, trading up for a few "near elite" players. It's possible they all burn out, but if we get 3 players in the 2-3 range and Grigson does his research, it's very likely he can hit on 2 of them. He has a solid track record in rounds 2-3. Fleener, Allen, Hilton, Mewhort, Moncrief, are all hits in rounds 2-3. Thornton seems like a miss, but you could also count Vontae if you wanted as a hit. Depending on your perspective, that's 5/6 or 6/7 hits for Grigson in round 2 and 3. I trust him if he wants to do that.

My thoughts exactly. Let's also not forget that Grigson traded back into the 3rd round for Hilton. That makes 2 players (Moncrief and Hilton) who had 1st round talent but went to the Colts in the 3rd round. If anyone can find sure talent in those rounds, its Grigson. This might be the draft to do it too.

Say you do get your pass rusher or ILB in the 1st. Then you get your safety in the 2nd, and maybe move up from the 4th and so you have two 3rds where you can get a future CB and then a BPA at NT, RB, or OL.

I'm ok with say moving from the 4th to the 3rd to get 2 3rd round picks.  That won't cost nearly as much.  We did that in 2012 to grab TY Hilton and all it cost us was a 2013 5th round pick.

But the 1st round, you've usually got to sell the farm to move up there.  

For example in 2011 Atlanta moved up from the bottom of the first to #6 to grab Julio Jones.  That cost them their 2nd rounder and their 4th rounder in 2011 plus their 1st round and 4th round for 2012.

That's a lot of picks to be giving up for 1 guy.  Certainly not something we can afford to really be doing given all our needs.  

Anything past the 1st round of the draft is a crap shoot, I say go all in, get as many 1-3rd round picks as *

better luck picking wr, o'linemen  in first rounds  .  then pick up defense in 3-4.   as we can see o'line sucks  worst then defense.  colts have never pick great defensive players in first 1 and second rounds . we have pick good offense play in those rounds .

The only "elite" defensive player that I think we might be able to get without trading up is MARCUS PETERS, CB Washington. Hopefully his suspension will lead to a drop. We could use improved corner play anyway. Teaming him with Vontae is tantalizing.

I am lukewarm on most of the pass rushers. We might be able to get Nate Orchard from Utah in the 2nd round. The offensive line prospects are nowhere close to elite. We can add a guy like Henry Anderson on the defensive line in the 3rd round.

We don't need elite safety play, just an improvement over what we have currently.

The only "elite" defensive player that I think we might be able to get without trading up is MARCUS PETERS, CB Washington. Hopefully his suspension will lead to a drop. We could use improved corner play anyway. Teaming him with Vontae is tantalizing.

I am lukewarm on most of the pass rushers. We might be able to get Nate Orchard from Utah in the 2nd round. The offensive line prospects are nowhere close to elite. We can add a guy like Henry Anderson on the defensive line in the 3rd round.

We don't need elite safety play, just an improvement over what we have currently.

Brandon Scherff is really good and he played under one of the best OL coaches out there. I'd take him as a future RT.

With safety, you need one in Pagano's mold of being interchangeable. He doesn't really have a safety like that. Adams has been great this year in coverage, but he's not good in run support. But ILB is really the pick we need to hit on. Most mock draft sites have us taking Benardrick McKinney.

I'm not certain what team or games you're watching, but it's not the one I'm watching.

Yes, the pass rush will be better,  but our DL is still not very good, and we need another solid presence.

You're laughing over our WR's?    Seriously?    Next year,  we'll have TYH and Moncrief and maybe Reggie.    That's it.  But Reggie could retire and Nicks will likely be released.   And who knows what Carter will be?

You think Hicks is turning out those kind of yards for another team?    He's struggling just to get open for us much less catch a pass.    Odds are,  he gets released at the end of the year.    You think the colts are releasing a guy capable of catching 1,000 yards worth of passes?

And the most glaring -- beyond even safety and corner -- is offensive line.    Three years into building a new team, and our OL is still substandard.   I'm stunned you don't realize it.

Why do you think we've lost to Denver, Philly, Pitts, and NE?    Those are the four best teams we've faced.  Lost to each one.     We're not as good as you think.

I don't know what to tell you.    We see the same thing much differently.....

We have a LOGJAM at WR + TE. There are only so many passes to throw around. And that's not counting 300 yard receiving from Bradshaw and 200 from TRich. Nicks is a no Josh Gordon, but at least a 900 yard receiver; only reason he hasn't gelled with the team is because the opportunities have been limited so his stats aren't going to look good.

We have several needs, but the least is def WR by far.

We have a LOGJAM at WR + TE. There are only so many passes to throw around. And that's not counting 300 yard receiving from Bradshaw and 200 from TRich. Nicks is a no Josh Gordon, but at least a 900 yard receiver; only reason he hasn't gelled with the team is because the opportunities have been limited so his stats aren't going to look good.

We have several needs, but the least is def WR by far.

Suffice to say you and I see this very, very differently.