Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hakeem Nicks Not Going To Cut It

krunk

I was looking for excuses of why the defense was so bad.. I came up with one conclusion..

Those jerseys are SO bad that they blinded our defensive players. They had no idea where the ball even was. Coincidence? I think not.

Pretty convincing theory, right? haha

I'll sign onto to that conspiracy theory Jhaze55. It's the 1 time when a HD television is a horrific reality & it makes you wish you could watch the game in pitch black sunglasses or an old school black & white set. 

As a fan, it wasn't easy watching the game so your theory about blinding colors against INDY's defense is more fact than fiction to me. 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Fleener doesn't get off his butt and start making some plays I'm going to start calling for Erik Swoope.  Maybe we can get something out of him.  Why not?  Fleeners playing like a practice squad player anyway!  If I'm wrong I'll admit it, but I had to get that one off my chest bro.  Just how I feel right now......

Fleener the Weener

I keep going back to something Superman & NCF said...At some point, Nicks will be called on to make a critical catch. Originally, I believed that & Chad72 isn't wrong when he said that Nicks has a knack for contested sideline catches. 

I'm just baffled how I truly believed Hakeem was a great find for us given his Championship leadership capabilities & body type to go get the ball & he often drops 1 on 1 long passes. He's built for that. What's the problem Nicks? 

Sit him down ASAP. I'm nearly done with him now. The dude just doesn't inspire me or fill me with a ton of confidence anymore. I was wrong on Nicks, but I'm smart enough to realize when to deactivate a WR who is more of a liability vs a trusted, clutch weapon. 

While I'm at it, it appears Mr. Fleener has gone on a hiatus as well.  I haven't seen him do much of anything the past couple of games.

I go through phases when I think that Luck tries to force Fleener the ball too much so I hope that since he hasn't been targeted that much means that Pep & Clyde Christensen are encouraging Andrew to survey the field & just find the open guy vs lock in on someone specific at the line of scrimmage. 

I'm not knocking Luck's ability to go through his progressions just reminding him to spread the wealth & look off the safety that's all. As long as we fix the pocket, Chewbacca will be fine next week. 

Why are people so blind?  I counted 4 passes to Nicks that neither Megatron or Dez Bryant could've even made the catch.  Just because he is targeted doesn't mean he should catch it.  The O line couldn't provide protection and Luck was inaccurate due to the pressure.  Go ahead and be ignorant, but please don't share the stupidity!!  Nicks could be a little better but what about the sideline catch about 30+ yards downfield? Nobody wanna give him credit for it?

Ever think that Nicks may not be where Luck expected him to be?  There's definitely a chemistry element to accurate passes.  Nicks did make a very good catch, but by and large he doesn't separate well and doesn't see the ball often as a result.  This offense has never been much for a jump ball type receiver, which, IMO, is more along the lines of what Nicks seems to be.

For me, if the throws are accurate elsewhere, one certainly has to consider that Nicks may not be in the spot Luck anticipated.  That may improve, but for me, he doesn't seem to have those issues with Hilton, Wayne, Moncrief, or even Whalen so it may just be that Nicks is not a good fit here.

And the pressure he was under, that element certainly plays into a lot of it as well.

If Fleener doesn't get off his butt and start making some plays I'm going to start calling for Erik Swoope.  Maybe we can get something out of him.  Why not?  Fleeners playing like a practice squad player anyway!  If I'm wrong I'll admit it, but I had to get that one off my chest bro.  Just how I feel right now......

Fleener the Weener

I dunno that I'd replace Fleener with Swoope at this point, but I certainly don't expect them to try and re-sign Fleener when the time comes.  I really wanted to think he'd blossom into a Jimmy Graham type of TE, but he just doesn't make the average catches enough, and seldom makes the tough catches in traffic.  Next offseason I could see a trade, but if Pep can't make Fleener work in our offense, his value has to be extremely low to other squads so we just as well use him on the rookie contract and move on if he doesn't improve drastically.  There's always going to be athletic talents in the draft at the TE position, so we just as well look to find one during the offseason and consider moving on from Fleener if we're able to secure a good one then, but now isn't the time.

Hakeem Nicks played with great intensity against the Giants in preseason. (I know that it was preseason, but it's the intensity that I am referring to). I haven't seen him play with much passion except that one game.

Any chance he brings it on Monday Night?

If Nicks doesn't show up monday night against his former team, I say he should be gone or on the bench. He seems to have limited ability to get open and when he is targeted - far too many times - he seems to give up early on the play. He doesn't use his height - or simply exhibits bad timing with his jumps - to just go up and get it. For whatever reason, him and Andrew are not on the same page WAY too often. A lot of times when he is targeted the two of them just look silly. This is going back, NOT just the steeler game.

if he doesn't show something pretty major against the Giants, I say trade him or bench him and bring on Moncrief. If he doesn't produce against him former team, he probably isn't going to produce. Of course, with Reggie back in, he may already be committed to the bench, but I can't believe we won't at least try to get him fired up and productive against his former team.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Hakeem Nicks played with great intensity against the Giants in preseason. (I know that it was preseason, but it's the intensity that I am referring to). I haven't seen him play with much passion except that one game.

Any chance he brings it on Monday Night?

Wont matter whatever he does vs the Giants...Literally I think he could have a 150 yard game or so against them and he will still be gone if he don't show up in games after that....Im actually predicting that to happen....I don't think he gets 150 but I think he will get 90-100 and continues to flop the rest of the year

Wont matter whatever he does vs the Giants...Literally I think he could have a 150 yard game or so against them and he will still be gone if he don't show up in games after that....Im actually predicting that to happen....I don't think he gets 150 but I think he will get 90-100 and continues to flop the rest of the year

Gone?  As in cut?

At this point, any move like that wouldn't make much sense.  If nothing else, proceed with the next man up and if an injury occurs, he'll perhaps either have extra motivation or the experience within our system to start producing.  This is not much different than the Heyward-Bey deal, and I certainly doubt he gets re-upped given his current production.  We've struck good on some of those types of deals, such as Bradshaw.  It is what it is really.  I for one appreciate that Grigs uses trial deals to see what a player has.  If it pans out, perhaps we invest for a longer duration.  If it doesn't, having Hakeem Nicks on our roster is likely better than any UDFA who could've taken that spot, and it won't hurt the cap next year when we look to replace him or someone else.

Trade Hakeem Nicks tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!

Who would they trade him to and for what? Teams don't want to throw away draft picks on a player who's underachievi while carrying a lot of baggage. If Seattle can find only one team willing to give up a sixth round pick for a player with MVP ability, the Colts couldn't get anything but a practice squad player for Nicks.

Any draft pick is far more valuable than Nicks.

Trade Hakeem Nicks tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!

Who would they trade him to and for what? Teams don't want to throw away draft picks on a player who's underachieving while carrying a lot of baggage. If Seattle can find only one team willing to give up a sixth round pick for a player with MVP ability, the Colts couldn't get anything but a practice squad player for Nicks.

Ever think that Nicks may not be where Luck expected him to be?  There's definitely a chemistry element to accurate passes.  Nicks did make a very good catch, but by and large he doesn't separate well and doesn't see the ball often as a result.  This offense has never been much for a jump ball type receiver, which, IMO, is more along the lines of what Nicks seems to be.

For me, if the throws are accurate elsewhere, one certainly has to consider that Nicks may not be in the spot Luck anticipated.  That may improve, but for me, he doesn't seem to have those issues with Hilton, Wayne, Moncrief, or even Whalen so it may just be that Nicks is not a good fit here.

And the pressure he was under, that element certainly plays into a lot of it as well.

That's a great point about Nicks might not have ran the route correctly, and yes I've seen times where he may not have, but you can only blame that on him when it's a timing pass.  I've thought about it alot actually but the more I watch the more I see Luck trying to throw the ball to Nicks while being heavily pressured.  He also has just plainly made bad throws to him.  Over/under throwing his target.  In fact, the first two games I was saying the same thing about him to T.Y.  Luck is great (don't get me wrong), but he is human and does make bad throws at times.  It just so happens Nicks has been the target on a lot of them.

Andrew has a tendency to throw high when he is off to EVERYONE.    It's not just a Nicks thing.  

Hakeem N has not been a "great" WR for going on 3 years now.    He has been constantly bugged by injuries and work ethic has been brought into question in the past in NY.     He is what he is right now.     Just a guy.     Looks disinterested, not making hard cuts, and frankly is probably 5th on the Colt WR DC currently.    

No biggie..     one year contract.     Get Moncrief in the game.     Nicks being a "question mark" is NOTHING new.

I dont know if it was all nicks fault.. i seen a good amount of high over thrown balls in nicks direction.

Andrew has a tendency to throw high when he is off to EVERYONE.    It's not just a Nicks thing.  

Hakeem N has not been a "great" WR for going on 3 years now.    He has been constantly bugged by injuries and work ethic has been brought into question in the past in NY.     He is what he is right now.     Just a guy.     Looks disinterested, not making hard cuts, and frankly is probably 5th on the Colt WR DC currently.    

No biggie..     one year contract.     Get Moncrief in the game.     Nicks being a "question mark" is NOTHING new.

Moncrief is now ahead of Nicks on the depth chart

I don't think he sees 15 snaps against the Giants.      He shouldn't at least.       Moncrief has EARNED all of Nicks snaps, drops or not he makes things happen.

Who would they trade him to and for what? Teams don't want to throw away draft picks on a player who's underachieving while carrying a lot of baggage. If Seattle can find only one team willing to give up a sixth round pick for a player with MVP ability, the Colts couldn't get anything but a practice squad player for Nicks.

Well, obviously the trade deadline is gone now. But Seattle could've been a good spot. But oh well, guess we're stuck with him now until the year is over

Allen only made one play, and I think had 2 / 3 targets? 

Andrew Luck was getting KILLED ...       how do you release TE's when you are looking for HOT WR's all game. 

Pitt jumped out to a big lead and then it was as if the ghost of Lloyd, Green, Porter, and a still walking zombie Harrison were on the field.   

Just a bad day.      The Colts are flawed, but they are NOT as bad as they looked.....   and I guarantee you PITT is NOT as good as they looked.

It will work out when Pitt has to come to Indy n the playoffs.

Fleener the Weener

Nicks has always lacked separation but at the same time has always had really strong hands and would physically shield the defender from the ball. Anyone expecting a great route runner or speed burner would be sadly dissappointed in getting him. Between all the little injuries and his lack of explosiveness I don't know what people were expecting. I will say for whatever reason timing wise etc Luck and he aren't on the same page. I like what Moncrief has shown but 1 thing to realize is there is more to playing wr than just catching the ball. One of DHBs greatest assets last year was his run blocking and while I don't think Nicks is quite as good at blocking as DHB was that is still a very important factor. Clearly they trust Nicks in the passing game and in the running game a great deal more than Moncrief. From what I've seen Moncrief isn't exactly running all the routes yet. Likely we trust him on a set number of plays to know where he is suppose to be and run the right route. When he is ready I do think he gets the start...he does show more promise.

Gone?  As in cut?

At this point, any move like that wouldn't make much sense.  If nothing else, proceed with the next man up and if an injury occurs, he'll perhaps either have extra motivation or the experience within our system to start producing.  This is not much different than the Heyward-Bey deal, and I certainly doubt he gets re-upped given his current production.  We've struck good on some of those types of deals, such as Bradshaw.  It is what it is really.  I for one appreciate that Grigs uses trial deals to see what a player has.  If it pans out, perhaps we invest for a longer duration.  If it doesn't, having Hakeem Nicks on our roster is likely better than any UDFA who could've taken that spot, and it won't hurt the cap next year when we look to replace him or someone else.

Gone as in finish the year...while seeing a possible decrease in snaps until the offseason and then find his replacement

I don't think he sees 15 snaps against the Giants.      He shouldn't at least.       Moncrief has EARNED all of Nicks snaps, drops or not he makes things happen.

I think Nicks continues to get 60+ snaps on offense until the bye week and then for the coaching staff to re-evaluate him then...I don't see them letting him continue to get many snaps after that on offense if he is going to be ineffective......Waiting till the bye week also gives Moncrief a week to prepare for his first start

While I'm at it, it appears Mr. Fleener has gone on a hiatus as well.  I haven't seen him do much of anything the past couple of games.

Well, in the last couple of weeks Fleener has 5 catches for 68 yards.  Now, I realize that is nothing compared to Allen's 4 receptions for 73 yards over the last two weeks but...

Get outta here. Stop using stats and logic to defend Coby. It does not work that way. How dare you.

Sorry, I forgot the forum rules:  I will rectify that right now:

in my best caveman voice.

"Fleener bad, Allen good."

"Luck good, matter no how many interception he throw."

All guy Grigson signs pro-bowl player, except ones that no good.  those guys not Grigs fault."

Colts win, Colts most dominant team in history of Colts.  Colts lose, every position need upgrade, except QB loss never his fault.

HUH?   this isn't HS football.     Moncrief pretty much put Hakeem on ice in Pittsburgh.       Nicks just is NOWHERE near the WR he was in 2010.   And that is the one everyone keeps waiting on.     Just not there anymore.   

And IMO he just doesn't care.         He got another payday, will probably get ONE more and then........      

He will go away a very wealthy waste of some really great potential.     I ain't mad at him.    Just sux Indy had to be one of the last on the list to finally realize this guy is .........    just a guy who could not care any less.

Oh well....   and if Wayne is out and he gets 60 snaps Indy is in trouble but his little bit of pride may must want to burn the team that game him every chance to succeed.      Crazy.....

I think Nicks continues to get 60+ snaps on offense until the bye week and then for the coaching staff to re-evaluate him then...I don't see them letting him continue to get many snaps after that on offense if he is going to be ineffective......Waiting till the bye week also gives Moncrief a week to prepare for his first start

Sorry, I forgot the forum rules: I will rectify that right now:

in my best caveman voice.

"Fleener bad, Allen good."

"Luck good, matter no how many interception he throw."

All guy Grigson signs pro-bowl player, except ones that no good. those guys not Grigs fault."

Colts win, Colts most dominant team in history of Colts. Colts lose, every position need upgrade, except QB loss never his fault.

Lol wow! this is the most hilarious and accurate post I have read on this board! I wish I wish I could like it a million times.

HUH?   this isn't HS football.     Moncrief pretty much put Hakeem on ice in Pittsburgh.       Nicks just is NOWHERE near the WR he was in 2010.   And that is the one everyone keeps waiting on.     Just not there anymore.   

And IMO he just doesn't care.         He got another payday, will probably get ONE more and then........      

He will go away a very wealthy waste of some really great potential.     I ain't mad at him.    Just sux Indy had to be one of the last on the list to finally realize this guy is .........    just a guy who could not care any less.

Oh well....   and if Wayne is out and he gets 60 snaps Indy is in trouble but his little bit of pride may must want to burn the team that game him every chance to succeed.      Crazy.....

I think Nicks starts until the bye week while possibly losing more snaps to Moncrief, During the bye week Moncrief practices with the 1st unit and start from then on out, I don't see Pagano putting him out there for a full games worth of snaps prior to that

Well, in the last couple of weeks Fleener has 5 catches for 68 yards.  Now, I realize that is nothing compared to Allen's 4 receptions for 73 yards over the last two weeks but...

Got a breakdown for catches vs targets? Touchdowns?

Got a breakdown for catches vs targets? Touchdowns?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/14900/coby-fleener

9 targets the last 2 week (34 for the year) 5 catches....3 TD's on the year, I'd personally take a Dwayne Allen TE over him and let him walk if by chance it comes to that with everyone else we will have to re-sign, A Dwayne Allen type receiver is much more valuable to the offense we run

D Allen's value "currently" is protecting Luck.        Period.   He is exceptional at it.     

9 targets the last 2 week (34 for the year) 5 catches....3 TD's on the year, I'd personally take a Dwayne Allen TE over him and let him walk if by chance it comes to that with everyone else we will have to re-sign, A Dwayne Allen type receiver is much more valuable to the offense we run

I don't think we'll have to choose one over the other.    I think if we want them both,  we'll have room for both.