Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Mcnary

TheJACKCOLT

I think we keep 10 LB's total -- the same number we had on our final roster last year.

Mathis, Werner, Walden, D. Jackson, J. Freeman are the 5 locks (3 OLB, 2 ILB).

I think the next 5 spots are a battle between the following 7: Studebaker, Muamba, McNary, Shepard, C. Johnson, A. Jackson, J. Newsome (don't know why he is listed as a DE on colts.com roster)

I'd say the top 5 of that group would be Studebaker, Shepard, Muamba, McNary, and Newsome (3 ILB, 2 OLB) -- this would give us 5 ILB, 5 OLB total on our roster.

With Mathis out the first 4 weeks, I expect Cam Johnson to make our opening roster and I expect A. Jackson to start season on practice squad.

Considering how well our ILBs have played in the preseason his job could be in jeopardy. Both Sheppard and Muamba have looked good, do we keep 5? Could he wind up on the PUP list?

Sheppard looked good last preseason too........ Then came the regular season

I didn't think he looked good last pre season. He did play better as the season went on though. Early last year he sucked! Looking good now though. Will be intrusting which LB's they keep!

Early last year he was taking off his military uniform, and was on a special list for military personnel.  He did not even play 'early'  

When he came off of the list, he looked great on special teams and showed flashes of what he is going to be.  Love his motor playing, and love his hate for Quarterbacks,

From Grigson on down, they have loved McNary from the first day he stepped on the practice field....not seeing the suck-age here whatsoever! :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :colts:  :colts:  :pass:  :pass: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He looked horrible in the first game blowout to Buffalo.  I was watching him from the 40 yard-line (Could not afford 50 yard-line :funny:

He was slow to react to the football, was often caught out of position.  He was doing things I would expect a rookie to do...not a veteran.

Not really. And the difference CLEARLY is no more Moala, Mathews, Franklin as they were very poor against the run.  Of course no Mathis helps the run D too!

And the addition of Jones and Jackson.  RJF, Hughes and Zach Kerr are a Very sound 2nd team. ALL of our LB`s will look better with those horses in front of them.

The one thing to notice.  I am not seeing this mentioned....Josh McNary is simply listed at LB on the roster.  He is flexible to play the Rush LB, and is tough enough to play the ILB position.  I am sure he is about ready. :thmup:

Well, McNary played DE/OLB at Army at the college level, have we ever seen him play that role since coming to the Colts?  I wouldn't consider it a guarantee that he could play RushLB at the NFL level.  Also, Studebaker has that same flexibility and I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of our other LB's do as well.

Grigson said it before camp started

Not quite...Grigson said he remembered when McNary had his workout and he (Grigson) thought to himself that this guy could probably be a starting Nickel LB (which keep in mind that was compared to the LB crew we had at that time).  I don't think McNary is necessarily a "lock" for the 53 nor as a starter now that we have some new LB's and a couple of others have stepped up.

Early last year he was taking off his military uniform, and was on a special list for military personnel.  He did not even play 'early'  

When he came off of the list, he looked great on special teams and showed flashes of what he is going to be.  Love his motor playing, and love his hate for Quarterbacks,

From Grigson on down, they have loved McNary from the first day he stepped on the practice field....not seeing the suck-age here whatsoever! :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :colts:  :colts:  :pass:  :pass: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe the post that you quoted was referring to Sheppard, not McNary.

From Grigson on down, they have loved McNary from the first day he stepped on the practice field....not seeing the suck-age here whatsoever! :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :colts:  :colts:  :pass:  :pass: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was talking about Sheppard not McNary I love that kid! I think he has a lot of ability.

Well, McNary played DE/OLB at Army at the college level, have we ever seen him play that role since coming to the Colts?  I wouldn't consider it a guarantee that he could play RushLB at the NFL level.  Also, Studebaker has that same flexibility and I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of our other LB's do as well.

Not quite...Grigson said he remembered when McNary had his workout and he (Grigson) thought to himself that this guy could probably be a starting Nickel LB (which keep in mind that was compared to the LB crew we had at that time).  I don't think McNary is necessarily a "lock" for the 53 nor as a starter now that we have some new LB's and a couple of others have stepped up.

I believe the post that you quoted was referring to Sheppard, not McNary.

I agree on my reply.....sorry Horse Shoe Heaven!  :)  Sheppard DID play poorly early last season and preseason as mentioned above.

I know McNary was said to be in the Middle LB mix last year.  I would play him if he was needed there.  I kind of like Freeman/Jackson right now.  I love Studebaker...tough as nails.  Some have him cut...not me.  Cam Johnson has showed his 'stuff' as well...and here comes Newsome.  Seems to learn more every game.

Thanks Jason.!

I didn't think he looked good last pre season. He did play better as the season went on though. Early last year he sucked! Looking good now though. Will be intrusting which LB's they keep!

Was talking about Sheppard not McNary I love that kid! I think he has a lot of ability.

I am sorry.  I missed that one, but touched on how bad Sheppard was.  I may have been in a hurry.  I need to pick up the kids :)

i don't understand all the hate on Sheppard,people crow for McNary who hasn't played at ALL due to injury. i like the player who has actually played to make the roster. He's like the Trent Richardson of the defense, jeez give the guys a break.

It's not hate on Sheppard. He didn't play well for most of last season. When McNary finally got on the field, he did play well. He was particularly better in coverage, and showed some ability as a pass rusher. A lot of people have reached the conclusion that McNary is better than Sheppard. Maybe that's premature, but it's not illogical. 

It's not hate on Sheppard. He didn't play well for most of last season. When McNary finally got on the field, he did play well. He was particularly better in coverage, and showed some ability as a pass rusher. A lot of people have reached the conclusion that McNary is better than Sheppard. Maybe that's premature, but it's not illogical. 

ill agree that mcnary's pass protection was pretty dang good last year, and i like him alot but i would hope he would get a little practice in or play a little in the preseason before a judgement is made on who's better than who.

ill agree that mcnary's pass protection was pretty dang good last year, and i like him alot but i would hope he would get a little practice in or play a little in the preseason before a judgement is made on who's better than who.

I think the judgment being made is based on last year's play. But you're right, McNary has to play to earn his spot. And so far, Sheppard is doing a good job, IMO. 

Yup. I didn't see a replay of either penalty, so I'm not sure either of the calls were legit. Both hurt, big time.

I didn't even hear half the calls on the penalties to know what they were.  That was driving me crazy during the game.

so you prefer somebody that's been warming the bench all training camp and preseason, while Sheppard has been productive and is actually showing improvement..

Our backups/rookies have all outplayed Sheppard.

Yes he got better by the end of the game, but that was against 2nd/3rd stringers.